R&D and upgrade systems should be changed

sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
why?

R&D system

- timer everywhere even for small project, under 30 seconds
- all these crappy mods which should be removed;
- it doesn't seem really random, Dmg mod and pvp mods come more often

Upgrade system

today i left the game because i was really fed up with this system.

After more than 100 attemps (and only for TODAY) for a tetryon DBB with crtdx2 crth, finally i'm lucky, wow! a tetryon DBB with crtdx2 pen, after a ton of crappy weapons; the best was dmgx2 pvp(dmg)

thus, i try the upgrade system. btw, i bought an experimental upgrade (620000 ec) + a green accelerator (improvment chance: 320000 ec), i know, i could buy a blue accelerator, but for me they are too expensive. I don't buy these s..... R&D boxes in the c-store

btw, i don't try to have epic weapons, i'm already happy with Ultra rare.

second upgrade, wow! cool, ultra rare, i look at the weapon, and dmg was added :mad:

And this is not the first time, that one of my weapon is bungled.

i know nobody force me to use the R&D and the upgrade systems, i could buy MK XII-XIII weapons, but like the other players, i just want to have some cool weapons on my ships.

i'm not against the fact that these 2 system are random, but dmg, pvp(res), pvp(dmg) should be removed. the other mods can be useful or interesting.

if you like these systems like they are; well ok. But i don't think that many players like to see their time + a huge amount of dil and ec wasted for nothing. If these systems are intended to keep me in game, they failed.

your thoughts? (if you could avoid personal attacks, it would be nice; thank you)
Post edited by sennahcherib on

Comments

• hausofmartokhausofmartok Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I agree the R&D system needs a complete overhaul, in fact I'd just replace it entirely. Why? It's not fun or challenging. It doesn't even feel like MMO crafting IMO. Just plug in a few mats and hit the timer button? I wonder who came up with that? Like, how can we monetize crafting in a free to play game and suck all of the fun out of it so our players are reduced to rats pushing the lever for a pellet? Yuck.

There is such a huge lack of imagination there. Crafting should be enjoyable and rewarding. As it is, it's way too easy to level it. You can max out crafting without having crafted a single item. Like, what's the point?
    You should need to learn how to craft. Crafting should be it's own whole meta in itself with it's own gear that you wear while doing it, crafting hubs around the galaxy where you can craft unique items or level certain schools, unique places to gather mats that are completely separate from combat. There should be specific crafting R&D skills separate from Boffs that you can learn.

Those are just a couple things off the top of my head and well they're not original ideas, they're from Final Fantasy XIV A Real Reborn which has the most deep and interesting crafting system I've experienced. I already here the jerks that will cry: 'You can't expect to match a sub game!" Just shut up seriously. Shut up. You can do anything and ask for anything you want. This is a video game and the only crime here is thinking too small and not including elements of fun and joy into your game and there is no reason not to aspire to be a AAA game instead of some little Pay2win (and pay ALOT!) niche game stuck in 2010.

Yes, also, OP, random mods should be removed. They need to figure it out, but the should normalize all weapons to drop with only varying quality, not varying mods. You should be able to craft a gold or a ultra rare with the right mats and imo it's ok for the quality to be RNG (to a point) dependent, but the mods are too important to have them be spit out randomly and with PvP completely dead and gone no weapons should be dropping with PvP mods on them.
  • dragnridrdragnridr Member Posts: 671 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I would actually like control over which mods I want to see and ones I don't want. For example, I don't pvp, so there should be an option to remove pvp mods completely from the list. So if I go to craft something and have the option for no pvp mods selected, then craft something, then there should be no pvp mod on that item.

Plus I'd rather have the SWTOR style of crafting. Just the mats and credits and done, no DIL, no specific doff needed, and no freakin' timegates. How often did they use Dilithium to replicate items in Star Trek? NONE. Dilithium was used in the warp core for warp travel. NOT AS CURRENCY/
  • aesicaaesica Member Posts: 736 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Agreed, at least about the R&D system.

"Okay team, I need you to make me a weapon capable of exploiting an enemy's weaknesses for maximum damage!"

"Aye-aye, cap'n!"

*Clank-clank* *Clank-clank*

"All done!"

"Hey, this isn't what I asked for at all."

"Yeah sorry, we don't known what the weapon's going to be good at doing until we finish making it! That's part of the fun!"

"FFS, then take it apart and use the pieces to try again."

"We can't take it apart. Once it's made, that's it. LOL."

"...Be glad this isn't a Klingon ship."

Joking aside, there's really nothing fun about farmville timers, nor is there anything fun about gambling with resources. Instead, how about this:

Timers: Remove them, except on research projects. I get the purpose behind those somewhat. However, anything that actually creates something should take no more than 5 seconds to spit the item out. I'm sure there's a few mouthbreathers that are willing to pay extra dilithium for instant gratification, but overall, it's a toxic, predatory mechanic used by creepy pay-to-win carnival MMOs. I'd like to think STO isn't willing to sink that low.

RNG Results: Random modifiers as a base starting point is fine, but there needs to be more to crafting to make it feel meaningful rather than frustrating. Either of these 2 would be nice to have as part of the crafting process:

Option 1) After making an item, allow us to change the modifiers into what we want. NOT through another lottery wheel spin, but by actually setting them to what we want in exchange for a few extra resources. This could even be expanded to encompass most other items as a means of ensuring our quality upgrades end up being worth the trouble (and cost) rather than being worthless. This is the preferred option.

Option 2) Just let players set the modifiers they want when they make an item. At an additional resource cost if necessary, but the players would have the most respect of it became an innate part of the crafting system.

- - -

As for the upgrade system...that's another matter entirely.

1) Get rid of the timers. Seriously, there's nothing "fun" about waiting 4 hours for a weapon my ship needs to finish upgrading. Do you want me to play the game, or log off and play something else like wow while I wait for a stupid timer?

2) Quality upgrades are both very random and very expensive. People should be allowed to choose which modifier is applied.

3) The randomness element behind rarity upgrades needs to be completely redesigned. It'd be better off as something you "level up to" just like the item's level. It should also be completely independent of an item's current level, unlike now where going up a level causes the chance to drop a bit.

In short, cut back the RNG. RNG elements are obviously important in a game, but overusing them is a guaranteed way to frustrate the TRIBBLE out of your players.
    Rubberband Dance has been unlocked!
    kNqxcCf.gif
  • baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    today i left the game because i was really fed up with this system.

can I haz stuffz?:rolleyes:

but seriously...the 30 sec timers are unnecessary.

the randomnes of mods however not so much, since the mods determine the value of a weapon. It can't be the intention to be able to build best of the best weapons with a simple click.
    The normal method to craft good weapons is to build them at lower tiers, wait for a very rare weapon with excellent mods and upgrade it thereby increasing the chance for a quality improvement slightly.
    Rather have it that way, than farming some ultra rare ingredient for wekks and then be able to craft something of value, which exists anyway in the form of the level 15 special items like the aegis.

But anyway, the crafting system is hardly a reason to get frustrated over in a computer game...the game didn't even have a crafting system worth mentioning before.
    Go pro or go home
  • sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    can I haz stuffz?

i left the game just for today :P gasp! sometimes my english is a little bit crappy.
    For example, I don't pvp, so there should be an option to remove pvp mods completely from the list

i don't do pvp neither. i don't think that the pvpers use these pvp mods. the idea behind these mods was maybe interesting but for the majority of the players, they are just a pain in the a...

the dmg mod is just totally useless.

all these little timers are really tiring, because this r&d system is mega random; each time, i craft at least 60 targeting interface (something like that) + 1 other component.

5 components ->15 s (if my memory is good) or 75 dil.
    timer duration for a weapon -> 4 minutes. (i craft almost 80 weapons each time).

sometimes, i'm so tired that i pay 75 dil for ending the projects. I spent, 2 days ago, 8000 dil just for ending quickly some projects. i know that i could wait, but after tons of crappy weapons, i had just lost all hope :P

btw, cost at 4minutes -> 75 dil, cost at 3 minutes -> 75 dil etc; why the cost doesn't follow the timer?
  • maskedmarvel1maskedmarvel1 Member Posts: 119 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    the level of your crafting skill should mean something , the higher you are skilled at something the less it should cost to make and more of a chance of making something good , and your skill in a craft should only rise by actually crafting things .
  • bendalekbendalek Member Posts: 1,781 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    It's primary purpose is a Dil sink.

Don't forget the game is many years old, and there are many, many players with Millions of Dil and Billions of EC from years of "grinding".

Without the R&D Dil sink, there is nothing to spend it on. And please do not say Rep gear or Fleet projects, because most players that have Dil to spare, are also members of fully maxed Fleet's and fully completed Reps.

It's secondary, and nearly as important, purpose is being EC Generator/Sink to keep the Exchange, and the overall in game economy moving.

Without players selling the unwanted crafted items, and without other players buying the cheaper ones because they can't afford the "must have" versions, there would then be far less to spend EC on.

The randomness of "bad" modifiers on items is WAI ... And it's doubtful Cryptic will ever change it.

It's a necessary evil unfortunately.
    Oh, hoho hohhhhh, Oh,, hoho, hohhhhh
    My%20STO%20Sig%20Clear_zps5etu86s1.png
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    That is what I loved about WoW crafting. You can choose what you wanted. PVP stuff or PVE stuff. Only items that had random enchantment would give you something different. And it told you on the item description.

What we have is a start, but not the best when it comes to crafting.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • jbmonroejbmonroe Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    aesica wrote: »
    I'm sure there's a few mouthbreathers that are willing to pay extra dilithium for instant gratification....

It would sure be nice if we could learn to express ourselves without stooping to insults. Ad hominem arguments dilute the gist of your thesis.
    boldly-watched.png
  • aesicaaesica Member Posts: 736 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    jbmonroe wrote: »
    It would sure be nice if we could learn to express ourselves without stooping to insults. Ad hominem arguments dilute the gist of your thesis.
    Fair point, however I do believe my frustration is at least somewhat justified. As long as people are willing to throw dilithium at those timers, they'll continue to be seen as a reasonable design element. If nobody used them and there were riots on the forums, they'd be more likely to go away eventually.
    Rubberband Dance has been unlocked!
    kNqxcCf.gif
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    While I am also annoyed when I get crappy sets of mods, I can't help remembering crafting threads from when I was on the WoW forums..... where the uber crafting dudes wished WoW had a system like the "old school" ones, where you had to dedicate lots of resources/time/etc to crafting hundreds of failed items, so that you could actually make a profit from crafting (since only the most dedicated would stick with crafting & be able to make The Best Items, as opposed to WoW's "every item comes out the same" style)

:P
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    It's not even really a crafting system at all. It's just a rep system in disguise.

Rep system: Input marks, wait 20 hours

"Crafting" system: Input material, wait 20 hours

You don't have to craft a single thing to level it. On top of that they put material boxes as rewards for queues just like they did for marks. STO doesn't have a crafting or gathering system, it only has a rep system. I'm very much in favor of tossing this one out and creating a whole system in its place.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • bendalekbendalek Member Posts: 1,781 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Fair point, however I do believe my frustration is at least somewhat justified. As long as people are willing to throw dilithium at those timers, they'll continue to be seen as a reasonable design element. If nobody used them and there were riots on the forums, they'd be more likely to go away eventually.

The problem with this argument is .. .
    a) The forums, despite what some people think, represents only a tiny (albeit vocal) part of the total game community.

b) WE don't have the numbers that Cryptic have, WE don't know how many players are willing to spend 18,000 Dil to instantly upgrade to Level 15 Crafting (which several players I know have done) and then spend countless more Dil to get the modifiers they want.

Cryptic DOES have these numbers. And apparently the numbers say "It's all good :)" If they didn't, then they would change it, just like the small number of changes they have already made to costs.

It's WAI for now and it's necessary for the game economy to function. Balancing an MMO economy isn't a simple task, and many, many companies have 'farfed' it up entirely.. Cryptic seems reasonably skilled at maintaining there in game economies.
    Oh, hoho hohhhhh, Oh,, hoho, hohhhhh
    My%20STO%20Sig%20Clear_zps5etu86s1.png
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    bendalek wrote: »
    It's primary purpose is a Dil sink.

Don't forget the game is many years old, and there are many, many players with Millions of Dil and Billions of EC from years of "grinding".

Without the R&D Dil sink, there is nothing to spend it on. And please do not say Rep gear or Fleet projects, because most players that have Dil to spare, are also members of fully maxed Fleet's and fully completed Reps.

It's secondary, and nearly as important, purpose is being EC Generator/Sink to keep the Exchange, and the overall in game economy moving.

Without players selling the unwanted crafted items, and without other players buying the cheaper ones because they can't afford the "must have" versions, there would then be far less to spend EC on.

The randomness of "bad" modifiers on items is WAI ... And it's doubtful Cryptic will ever change it.

It's a necessary evil unfortunately.

If it were a Dil sink, why are the other components so much harder to get? I run out of various mats to create upgrades (blues especially) long before I run out of Dil to apply those kits (even before the recent spate of extra dilithium events.)
  • tk79tk79 Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    deokkent wrote: »
    Don't do any of it, cryptic will get the point. Eventually... maybe.:rolleyes:

Most likely not at all.

Like it was already said, while people use the Dil shortcut, it remains profitable to Cryptic and nothing will change.

About timers. They exist because it seems to be the norm among free-to-play games, and to be honest, it's totally fair. However, subscribers should not have such restrictions. Removing timers for subscribers would at the very least encourage people to subscribe or buy LTS.
    U.S.S. Eastgate Photo Wall
    STO Screenshot Archive

• maskedmarvel1maskedmarvel1 Member Posts: 119 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    @ian your right it isn't a crafting system its just the same as the rep system , only difference is the cost of the rep is fixed while trying to upgrade anything the cost can just keep going on , I was upgrading my tachy con the other day from VR to UR and it just kept going on and on until I had used about 40 VR tech upgrades and all the dil that cost , just for one bloody level , your skill level dosent count , nothing counts ,
  • jellico1jellico1 Member Posts: 2,719
    edited May 2015
    That's the problem

Their should be no Best Mod

They should all be of equal value but do their jobs in a different way

you should be able to pick which mods you want

It appears game balance is a concept cryptic doesn't understand too well

There should be no BEST Mod
    Jellico....Engineer ground.....Da'val Romulan space Sci
    Saphire.. Science ground......Ko'el Romulan space Tac
    Leva........Tactical ground.....Koj Romulan space Eng

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
  • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I have no problem with the timers.

I do have a problem with random mods, which means I will never use it to craft anything.

Right now it is just a another slot machine, that you keep putting money into, and hope you hit the jackpot..
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    If I were to redo this system based on fairness and feedback. This is what I think would fit.

+5 levels of can make something 100% natively and you may pick the mods.

Example: at level 5 beams you can 100% craft a green beam array. So at level 10 crafting you can pick one mod. And should at this level be 100% blue. So at level 15 you pick two mods. At level 15 you are 100% chance for purple so at level 20 you may pick all three mods for a mk II.

This leaves some randomness and gives an incentive to have high skill levels in crafting. And gives room to increase the crafting cap. So that if they want to you could eventually make mk II gold gear while choosing the mods.

As to the timers. They need to be shortened for upgrades. Maybe not eliminated, but two plus hours per mk XII to XIII and three hours per mk XIII to XIV is do not play for a few days on your character. With how limited replay is here that is practically an invitation to go play with the competition while you wait for the timers to run down.

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
  • dpsloss88dpsloss88 Member Posts: 765 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I'm sure there's a few mouthbreathers that are willing to pay extra dilithium for instant gratification, but overall, it's a toxic, predatory mechanic used by creepy pay-to-win carnival MMOs.

We "mouthbreathers" do not choose to breath that way. We have sinus problems! Pedal your hate elsewhere!
  • hausofmartokhausofmartok Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I'd like this thread to be front page and be seen by the devs. The crafting system really does need a major overhaul. Devs, Trendy, please take note of some of the constructive criticism here and suggestions for improvement.
  • sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I have no problem with the timers.

me neither, but only for the big timers: 1 hour, 4 hours etc. but all these little timers are ridiculous: 5s etc.
    I do have a problem with random mods, which means I will never use it to craft anything

yes, these random mods are just a waste of ressource. And when you have some nice rep weapons bought 25000 dil in the store, rom-plasma with critdx2 for example; you try to upgrade them, and a crappy mod is added; wow, it is really frustrating. Not only you have wasted dilithium in the weapons, but also for the "upgrade".

Memory Alpha wasn't perfect, but a dedicated place for the crafting + the feeling to do research were very interesting. i don't know why, they have removed Memory Alpha, but for me this place was interesting; now the only action that we do is to move sliders :(

currently R&D doesn't mean: Research & Development but Resignation & Despair. :P
  • guilli88guilli88 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I just REALLY dislike how they intentionally made crafting a tedious cluster**** to force us to chose between spending dilithium or wait out short timers.

5-15 minute wait timers have no use other than to introduce tediousness.

Why cant it craft instantly? What would it break/unbalance? Or why cant we queue up 100x same crafting item for a much longer timer?

Why must we be limited to craft up to 5 items at a time with short timers.

The entire crafting system was redesigned with the soul purpose of getting us to spend money on zen/dilithium.

It's sickening and a sign of a major cancer within cyrptic/PWE called greed. There's business interest in turning a profit and there's greed based nickle and dime-ing. They opted for the later system.

sig

http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/5451/om71.jpg

It is a peculiar phenomenon that we can imagine events that defy the laws of the universe.
  • shockwave85shockwave85 Member Posts: 1,040 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    There's been statements that they want to get rid of the randomness. Al Rivera has even said on P1 recently that crafting is on the list of things to get some attention, but it's a matter of fitting things into the schedule as far as engineering time. The timers are staying put though, they exist to drain dilithium out of the economy and they're very good at it. We may hate it when we're tempted to click that button, but we hate dilithium inflation more.

I would imagine they were also to serve some purpose in regulating the amount of high end items a player can craft, thereby keeping the exchange from being flooded and crashing the price. Of course, most of the "special" Lv 15 items from the various schools are still all but worthless unless they have the magic, highly desirable UR mod. So if that was intended, it didn't work. You can craft those special Sci consoles all day every day and have yourself a lot of very expensive vendor trash.
    ssog-maco-sig.jpg
  • sarosssaross Member Posts: 248 Media Corps
    edited May 2015
    I would imagine they were also to serve some purpose in regulating the amount of high end items a player can craft, thereby keeping the exchange from being flooded and crashing the price. Of course, most of the "special" Lv 15 items from the various schools are still all but worthless unless they have the magic, highly desirable UR mod. So if that was intended, it didn't work. You can craft those special Sci consoles all day every day and have yourself a lot of very expensive vendor trash.

Have to agree here. The price you are forced with to make the Level 15 items and they are stuck at a starting level of MK XII should mean that due to their higher quality items requires them starting at UR.

As it is, there's plenty of UR mods for each item that is less than desired so a reorder there can be good.
    Need help with a mission to beat it? Visit http://pilotreviewshow.com to learn how we can help!

Top DPS 102k
  • mvaiksmvaiks Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    @ian your right it isn't a crafting system its just the same as the rep system , only difference is the cost of the rep is fixed while trying to upgrade anything the cost can just keep going on , I was upgrading my tachy con the other day from VR to UR and it just kept going on and on until I had used about 40 VR tech upgrades and all the dil that cost , just for one bloody level , your skill level dosent count , nothing counts ,

This is the biggest problem in my opinion. I was upgrading one shield from UR to EPIC and 318K research points later, still UR. Again, 318k research points more... still UR. That is just RIDICULOUS!!!!:mad:
    --- My sig begins here ---
    Member since Jan 24th 2010 (more or less)
    Career Officer