test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Retiring Lohlunat Pearls

Comments

• baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,302 Community Moderator
    edited May 2015
    So, is this "exclusivity" notion the reason why we haven't had a Featured Episode Rerun? I can't be certain, but it seems like we should've been due another one by now. Those are limited time available rewards, too, that tended to only reappear once a year. No different than the Summer/Winter Event ships. Are we not going to ever see those again to preserve their "exclusivity"?

In all honesty, I realize that there's been a lot going on in-game right now between Season 10's launch, new Featured Episodes, Delta Recruits, etc., so fitting in a Featured Episode Rerun would've been impossible. Heck, we didn't even get First Contact Day, because of it. But my point stands: those rewards are about equivalent in there once a year rarely seen/earned, and don't even require the same grind, yet they don't get retired.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • nobody0806nobody0806 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    So, is this "exclusivity" notion the reason why we haven't had a Featured Episode Rerun? I can't be certain, but it seems like we should've been due another one by now. Those are limited time available rewards, too, that tended to only reappear once a year. No different than the Summer/Winter Event ships. Are we not going to ever see those again to preserve their "exclusivity"?

In all honesty, I realize that there's been a lot going on in-game right now between Season 10's launch, new Featured Episodes, Delta Recruits, etc., so fitting in a Featured Episode Rerun would've been impossible. Heck, we didn't even get First Contact Day, because of it. But my point stands: those rewards are about equivalent in there once a year rarely seen/earned, and don't even require the same grind, yet they don't get retired.

Holy SHIZZN it, i Definately hope NOT. I was Leveling all my Chars Up so they are Ready for the Re-runs, damn i was / am Waiting for the Re-Runs all the time to get the Shard of Posibilities and the Ophidian Cane for the Rest of my Characters, if they come up with that "Exclusivity" Trash Talk for those Items too..than...than DOH! I will be Angry x10000 and i will be again not the only one.

The thing is......NO ONE GIVES A DAMN ABOUT EXCLUSIVITY. So THROW that NONSENSE overboard. Events like this are only ONCE per Year, only while those Events run we have a Chance to get those, and to get those we have to Play / Farm / Grind Whatever for those, so to HELL with Exclusivity! :mad::mad::mad:
  • nadiezjanadiezja Member Posts: 629 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Hmm, new players shouldn't be discriminated against?

You don't think it's discriminatory for them to have to buy 200 lockbox keys to get the 800 lobi to buy the ship you got for running a race 25 times?

200 Keys is what? $250, for a T5-U ship, compared to buying a 9 ship multi class multi faction pack in the C-Store for $120.

You have an odd interpretation of 'non-discrimination'.

A lot of people have mentioned 'whales' buying ships on day 1 of the event, now you want to turn ALL new players into whales?

Funny.

Yeah. Honestly, the Lobi store is the method of distributing ships that I like least. Even less than lockboxes. The prices are ridiculous, progress toward them minimal per dollar spent. The lockboxes have gotten better lately, with the majority of those opened having something fun in them (kit modules and boff powers were great ideas for additions), but the Lobi store is kind of terrible.

Also... yeah. I had an outburst with point 3 earlier. Went overboard. My basic point (Cryptic fixed or strongly mitigated 2/3 of the problems people had, and some posters stayed just as insulting, and that's bad and will discourage the devs from looking here because it is NO ONE's job to be abused) stands, but I kind of flipped out while making it and I'm sorry.

Alternate idea for making older event ships available: Give people an Event Ship Unlock token for every 200 days subscribed, forward from now. Don't give them retroactively and don't give them instantly for Lifers, just going forward. Set up a store for people to spend these tokens at, which ships are added to a year after they're introduced. It's a neat perk for subscribers, a guatanteed benefit at a reasonable price, and ends the "lost forever" nature of older event ships.
  • randwulf0969randwulf0969 Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I've cooled off a bit from my earlier post. No longer completely disgusted but a bit less angry. However, I am still not satisfied.

My main issue now is the pearls I ground for ships can no longer be used for ships, and the buyback store is not satisfying with pearls Bound to Character. With ships I could grind and unlock on an alt and get it on my main (the toon I actually care about). But the pearls are stuck on a toon I cannot use them on for what I feel would appease me. So...

Please change pearls from Bound to Character to Bound to Account!!! This, at least, would appease me (and probably many others).

Thanks for reading.

(On a side note, thank you for the x10 conversion for rep marks to dil. It's a finger saver.)
  • orion0029orion0029 Member Posts: 1,122 Bug Hunter
    edited May 2015
    I think we seem to be arguing semantics and not the base issue of disallowing new players of getting the older ships (Corvette, Cruiser)... :(

Personally I believe that the Devs would likely be more responsive to our concerns if we stated them clearly and politley (or at least not aggressively), the Devs are people too with feelings and such, or at least I assume so... :P

I agree that newbies should be allowed to claim the older ships or at least be given a last chance during this year's summer event to claim them. Ideally leaving them in permanently would be nice, since many ships that have been around since day 1 are still in-game and being flown by new and old players alike.

I still have my first character's Miranda and occasionally pull it out of mothballs for laughs, I would be just as upset if the Devs decided to discontinue that ship just because it's old and needs replacement.
  • giannicampanellagiannicampanella Member Posts: 424 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    This:
    Can I slot a new project for a Risian Corvette or Risian Luxury Cruiser?

No. These ships are being retired with the start of the 2015 Lohlunat Festival

doesn't say this:
    As of the beginning of the 2015 Summer Event, the Risian Corvette and Risian Luxury Cruiser will no longer be available to be acquired, now or in the future. Period.

in standard Anglo-American English nor rendered symbolically as follows:

A = 'Risian Ships'
    B = 'totally retired'
    C = 'earned in the manner of previous Events at the start of the 2015 Summer Event' (i.e. the context of A & B)

The devs said 'A is B if C' ('Risian Ships' are 'totally retired' if 'earned in the manner of previous Events at the start of the 2015 Summer Event'), whereas you translated that statement as, "A is B" ('Risian Ships' are 'totally retired'.) And you even added "...now or in the future. Period." for emphasis, which temporally qualified emphasis was also not logically contained in the original statement in any grammatical capacity. Understand now?
    Greenbird
    edited May 2015
    nobody0806 wrote: »
    Holy SHIZZN it, i Definately hope NOT. I was Leveling all my Chars Up so they are Ready for the Re-runs, damn i was / am Waiting for the Re-Runs all the time to get the Shard of Posibilities and the Ophidian Cane for the Rest of my Characters, if they come up with that "Exclusivity" Trash Talk for those Items too..than...than DOH! I will be Angry x10000 and i will be again not the only one.

The thing is......NO ONE GIVES A DAMN ABOUT EXCLUSIVITY. So THROW that NONSENSE overboard. Events like this are only ONCE per Year, only while those Events run we have a Chance to get those, and to get those we have to Play / Farm / Grind Whatever for those, so to HELL with Exclusivity! :mad::mad::mad:

OK, I wasn't trying to cause a panic with that. Just trying to illustrate a point. I'm sure that they're not looking to do that, but I'm also certain that it would cause a bigger fit than Event Ships if they did.
    GrWzQke.png
  • demonicaestheticdemonicaesthetic Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    nadiezja wrote: »
    Also... yeah. I had an outburst with point 3 earlier. Went overboard. My basic point (Cryptic fixed or strongly mitigated 2/3 of the problems people had, and some posters stayed just as insulting, and that's bad and will discourage the devs from looking here because it is NO ONE's job to be abused) stands, but I kind of flipped out while making it and I'm sorry.

Not really, they didn't fix 2/3rds of the problems, there was only 1 problem originally, some people had done their grind a year too early to suit the Metrics.

The Devs then decided to implement a last min announcement of a "TRIBBLE everyone over" fix for the Metrics.

The players exploded, and 102? pages later Salami did a partial climbdown, designed to appease just the "Veteran players who wanted the ships on ALL their alts" faction, while still TRIBBLE over everyone else. The climbdown fix is meant to appease the group they thought would be largest.
    Alternate idea for making older event ships available: Give people an Event Ship Unlock token for every 200 days subscribed, forward from now. Don't give them retroactively and don't give them instantly for Lifers, just going forward. Set up a store for people to spend these tokens at, which ships are added to a year after they're introduced. It's a neat perk for subscribers, a guatanteed benefit at a reasonable price, and ends the "lost forever" nature of older event ships.

Ends the 'lost forever" problem for people who choose to pay a subscription rather than play pay-as-you-go by only buying c-store items they want. End the event ship discrimination by adding more discrimination.

The Delta Recruit event was supposed to bring in NEW PLAYERS, and apparently it did.

Telling said new players "Welcome to the game, the free ships everyone told you you could get in 4 weeks are now gone, unless you pay-2-whale" sets a bad precedent and isn't good PR.
    <center><font size="+5"><b>Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day...
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life...</b></size></center>
  • takegurutakeguru Member Posts: 94 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    nadiezja wrote: »
    Yeah. Honestly, the Lobi store is the method of distributing ships that I like least. Even less than lockboxes. The prices are ridiculous, progress toward them minimal per dollar spent. The lockboxes have gotten better lately, with the majority of those opened having something fun in them (kit modules and boff powers were great ideas for additions), but the Lobi store is kind of terrible.

The lobi store is good in theory.

Reward the people that buy a lot of lockboxes.

But it's too expensive.

Sure, some may argue the ships are worth the price, and they might not be wrong

Especially now with T6 being out, there's no reason to spend 800 lobi on a T-5 when 100 more will get you a T6.
  • gameversemangameverseman Member Posts: 1,110 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    On the subject of "exclusivity" my thoughts are this: if the item in question grants some clear, distinct, advantage in game play that can not be duplicated or mitigated by any other in game item then yes, making it exclusive is a problem. For example, say a particular mission or episode required a particular device to complete. At initial release the device was freely available, but after a month or so it was moved to the C-Store or lobi store. THAT is a problem because now said mission really is "pay to win" and unfair to players who showed up late to the party.

However, if said item is a purely cosmetic or "bragging rights" reward then no, exclusivity is not a problem. Why? Because not having said item does not impede progressing in the game and there will other cosmetic or "bragging rights" rewards that will come down the pipe that players can try for. The Risian Corvette and Cruiser are, for all intents and purposes, bragging rights rewards. They aren't bad ships and their consoles do offer a nice crowed control option, but not having them doesn't stop anyone, new or old, from being able to actually play the game.

Personally I'm thinking it's getting to be about time for this thread to be closed down and a FAQ put up. The Devs made a change to the game, responded to the feed back, and in my opinion have been more than fair (to say nothing of patient) to the majority of the player base. Further discussion is just going to devolve further and further into trolling by rage posters who are never going to be satisfied no matter what is done and that serves no purpose to anyone.

And for the record, no, I don't agree with retiring the Corvette and Cruiser. However I do understand why it was done and accept that, in the end, it isn't my choice to make. STO is Cryptic's game. I'm just here to pay for it.
    I agree but I just had to make a slight modification..... with that being said.... To them we should be more than just players.
    signature.png
    edited May 2015
    This:

doesn't say this:

in standard Anglo-American English nor rendered symbolically as follows:

A = 'Risian Ships'
    B = 'totally retired'
    C = 'earned in the manner of previous Events at the start of the 2015 Summer Event' (i.e. the context of A & B)

The devs said 'A is B if C' ('Risian Ships' are 'totally retired' if 'earned in the manner of previous Events at the start of the 2015 Summer Event'), whereas you translated that statement as, "A is B" ('Risian Ships' are 'totally retired'.) And you even added "...now or in the future. Period." for emphasis, which temporally qualified emphasis was also not logically contained in the original statement in any grammatical capacity. Understand now?

Dude, don't start with me. I'm a damn linguist. I don't need you to break this down Barney-style for me.

And your linguistic analysis is incorrect anyway, as their original statement was NOT an if, then antecedent. You're trying to read more into it than is actually there. They did not state nor imply that the Risian ships would/could be made available through some other means in the future. They said RETIRED, as in permanently removed. I invite Trendy or any DEV to clarify or correct their original statement, but as written, that's what it means.
    GrWzQke.png
    edited May 2015
    Dude, don't start with me. I'm a damn linguist. I don't need you to break this down Barney-style for me.

And your linguistic analysis is incorrect anyway, as their original statement was NOT an if, then antecedent. You're trying to read more into it than is actually there. They did not state nor imply that the Risian ships would/could be made available through some other means in the future. They said RETIRED, as in permanently removed. I invite Trendy or any DEV to clarify or correct their original statement, but as written, that's what it means.

I agree.... there is the possibility of these ships coming out of retirement but it was NOT implied.
    signature.png
  • captainkroncaptainkron Member Posts: 123 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Can we beat this DEAD Horse in the ground anymore. I personally have spent what pearls I had saved from running the event last year more than that required to get last years ship. I have Rock and Roll and a Metric Ton of Plekton to make more ground upgrade kits. They have throw us a bone in that if you have DR alts under Mains that unlocked ships they can get said ship. That is all there will be. Own it and move on ppl. New players, which I was over 2 years ago, do not get the old T5 ships. So? I did not get all the good stuff from the first 3 years this game was unknown to me. I did not fuss then. I had just started playing I was not entitled to squat. Let the Flames burn out.
    CibJ7qu.jpg?1
    edited May 2015
    Can we beat this DEAD Horse in the ground anymore. I personally have spent what pearls I had saved from running the event last year more than that required to get last years ship. I have Rock and Roll and a Metric Ton of Plekton to make more ground upgrade kits. They have throw us a bone in that if you have DR alts under Mains that unlocked ships they can get said ship. That is all there will be. Own it and move on ppl. New players, which I was over 2 years ago, do not get the old T5 ships. So? I did not get all the good stuff from the first 3 years this game was unknown to me. I did not fuss then. I had just started playing I was not entitled to squat. Let the Flames burn out.

Apparently we can since you just contributed to the very thing you want to die so... yeah.
    signature.png
    edited May 2015
    On the subject of "exclusivity" my thoughts are this: if the item in question grants some clear, distinct, advantage in game play that can not be duplicated or mitigated by any other in game item then yes, making it exclusive is a problem. For example, say a particular mission or episode required a particular device to complete. At initial release the device was freely available, but after a month or so it was moved to the C-Store or lobi store. THAT is a problem because now said mission really is "pay to win" and unfair to players who showed up late to the party.

However, if said item is a purely cosmetic or "bragging rights" reward then no, exclusivity is not a problem. Why? Because not having said item does not impede progressing in the game and there will other cosmetic or "bragging rights" rewards that will come down the pipe that players can try for. The Risian Corvette and Cruiser are, for all intents and purposes, bragging rights rewards. They aren't bad ships and their consoles do offer a nice crowed control option, but not having them doesn't stop anyone, new or old, from being able to actually play the game.

Personally I'm thinking it's getting to be about time for this thread to be closed down and a FAQ put up. The Devs made a change to the game, responded to the feed back, and in my opinion have been more than fair (to say nothing of patient) to the majority of the player base. Further discussion is just going to devolve further and further into trolling by rage posters who are never going to be satisfied no matter what is done and that serves no purpose to anyone.

And for the record, no, I don't agree with retiring the Corvette and Cruiser. However I do understand why it was done and accept that, in the end, it isn't my choice to make. STO is Cryptic's game. I'm just here to play it.

In 1 Sentence, no, i disagree. Most (not all) Veterans are Pleased, and Newcommers + even some Vets who had no Chace Yet to get those Ships are still Screwed, so this Topic is NOT Done, and therefore should NOT be Closed, and 137 Pages so far Shows that Crystal Clear.

1 Thing has to be done. DONT Remove the Corvette and Yacht, make them Avaible for the New Currency, THAN the Majority will be Pleased and THAN the Discussion can be Closed.
  • saber1973asaber1973a Member Posts: 1,224 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Can we beat this DEAD Horse in the ground anymore.
    New players, which I was over 2 years ago, do not get the old T5 ships. So? I did not get all the good stuff from the first 3 years this game was unknown to me. I did not fuss then. I had just started playing I was not entitled to squat. Let the Flames burn out.

Exactly - so new players will not get some old ships?
    You know - the Devs make ships every couple of months now...
    So stop looking to the past and start looking to future...
    To new, better, more powerfull and better looking too - ships and other rewards !

And stop whining - it's unseemly....
    edited May 2015
    You know, most People who say "Close the Topic, its done" or stop beating the Horse, the Elephant the Monkey whatever...are the ones, who got what they wanted....you guys are Satisfied, now everyone should be Satisfied ey??

Not Sellfish at all huh?

Iam Sorry, maybe i beat the Monkey, but i do it cause i want Fairness, not for me, but for the People who are locked out and Discriminated. If you guys have what you wanted and are Happy, than FINE stay out of the Discussion than, but not everyone is as Lucky as you guys are, and NO ONE can blame them to keep up the Complain, hoping that the Devs will Please them TOO like they did with the Veterans (most of them).

So YOU guys stop complaining, that People complain that they want to be handled FAIR like it should be in the First Place.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    edited May 2015
    saber1973a wrote: »
    Exactly - so new players will not get some old ships?
    You know - the Devs make ships every couple of months now...
    So stop looking to the past and start looking to future...
    To new, better, more powerfull and better looking too - ships and other rewards !

And stop whining - it's unseemly....

I apologize, but who are you to impose your value system on other players? YOU may not see any value in getting the older ships, but other players might. You and others holding your opinion or similar opinions may feel blas
    GrWzQke.png
    edited May 2015
    I apologize, but who are you to impose your value system on other players? YOU may not see any value in getting the older ships, but other players might.

Indeed, its NO ONES Business, who likes which Ship. Yea there will be more, better, Shiniyer Ships....sure...so? Is Everyone Driving a Mercedes a Cadilac, Ferrari and so on? Why are there still so many People driving Cars that are DECADES old? Well make a Gues..because they LIKE those old Cars!!!!!! Unbelivable huh? :eek:

Both the Corvette and the Yacht are Unlike all other Ships very Unique Ships, in Design and Playstyle same goes for the Breen Ships, thats why there are still many Fans of those Ships amongs the Playerbase, and thats why still SO MANY People want to get those Ships, People LIKE your Ships, your Creations, and you Deny them those Ships now???.......

I dont know how often i allready said it or how often i have to say it...but...LET PEOPLE CHOOSE WHATEVER SHIP THEY WANT; GIVE THEM OPTIONS, DONT TAKE OPTIONS AWAY! :eek::mad:

Jesus Christ, like there is any Real Reason why to take away those Ships from the Game and Aggrevate Players.....:confused:
  • trillbuffettrillbuffet Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    nobody0806 wrote: »
    Indeed, its NO ONES Business, who likes which Ship. Yea there will be more, better, Shiniyer Ships....sure...so? Is Everyone Driving a Mercedes a Cadilac, Ferrari and so on? Why are there still so many People driving Cars that are DECADES old? Well make a Gues..because they LIKE those old Cars!!!!!! Unbelivable huh? :eek:

Both the Corvette and the Yacht are Unlike all other Ships very Unique Ships, in Design and Playstyle same goes for the Breen Ships, thats why there are still many Fans of those Ships amongs the Playerbase, and thats why still SO MANY People want to get those Ships, People LIKE your Ships, your Creations, and you Deny them those Ships now???.......

I dont know how often i allready said it or how often i have to say it...but...LET PEOPLE CHOOSE WHATEVER SHIP THEY WANT; GIVE THEM OPTIONS, DONT TAKE OPTIONS AWAY! :eek::mad:

Jesus Christ, like there is any Real Reason why to take away those Ships from the Game and Aggrevate Players.....:confused:

Yeah even before PWE acquired Cryptic the game plan of cryptic is to keep a customer on the hook saying things will come or about to come out but never do lol. Kinda like that negh'var we saw it was stated many many years ago that would be coming out *soon* but took around 3-4 years to get here heh.

As far as myself being a KDF player when I do play which hasn't been much lately some of our favorite ships like say the hegh'ta has fallen so far behind it didn't even get a T5U option lol. Personally though if you look at my logic when it comes to ships and event items like the pearls... why should I bother buying anything if its just going to be retired or become obsolete every 6-12 months. We took it in stride because we gave pity to Cryptic when it came to their rough launch and then their conversion to f2p and then again with lockboxes. They kept demanding more money, more time, more investment, but then they keep doing revamps and conversions to make the game a gear treadmill which isn't what players really want to do. So imho they need to make good on some things that can go along towards ending the gear treadmill the lockboxes I don't care about that can be their main cash maker like its been for a long time now but the treadmill, revamping, conversions, retiring that stuff needs to end if they want to stay in business.
  • jellico1jellico1 Member Posts: 2,719
    edited May 2015
    Giving away free t6 ships or even some of the op T5s compared to 2500 zen ships was one of the most bad business decisions cryptic ever made

I guess you see things like this when managers pull the wool over the eyes of absent owners and the game suffers for it
    Jellico....Engineer ground.....Da'val Romulan space Sci
    Saphire.. Science ground......Ko'el Romulan space Tac
    Leva........Tactical ground.....Koj Romulan space Eng

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
    edited May 2015
    jellico1 wrote: »
    Giving away free t6 ships or even some of the op T5s compared to 2500 zen ships was one of the most bad business decisions cryptic ever made

I guess you see things like this when managers pull the wool over the eyes of absent owners and the game suffers for it

Its not like they give away a Different T5 / T6 everyday you know, and even from those Give away Including the Event Ships they still make Money in Different ways....more Ship Slots is one of them.

Company Treats Customers Good= More Customers esspecially Happy Customers = More Money

Company Treats Customers Bad = Less Customers, Less and not Happy Customers = Less Money

even a Kid knows that....but i gues some People want to learn that the Hard way :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
  • demonicaestheticdemonicaesthetic Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    jellico1 wrote: »

It's not 'bad business", it's very good...

"Hi, welcome to the game, we're glad you took advantage of our Delta Recruit Scheme. You do not NEED a T5-U or T6 to play this game, but they help, to convince you, here is a FREE T5-U Sample pack, keys in the ignition, take her for a spin...

You liked that huh, T5-U's are sweet boats, but yeah that sampler doen't quite suit your class/playstyle, we understand, look, why not check out our selection of bespoke T5-U's in the C-Store, something for everyone...

Kerching!

Thank you for your purchase, had you considered a T6? No? Well, our winter event will feature a cool T6 Sampler, absolutely FREE, stay tuned, and stay with us, we're sure you'll like it, and look forward to selling tou a Bespoke T6 afterwards.

Meanwhile, why not check out Bespoke Uniform packs, Bespoke Premium Race packs, Bespoke Boff packs, and additional char slots and ship slots, available NOW!"

Realistically, a few hundred Pre-Order Lifetime Sub customers with a dozen T6's in stock, will spend LESS over the coming year than tens of thousands of F-2-P Noobs, choosing to upgrade their ships, uniforms, boffs, etc.

The Idea that the game is made fiscally viable by a small number of old lifetime subs, rather than tens of thousands of new pay-as-you-go upgrade customers, is a myth.

Even in the pay to play days, the bulk of the cash came from people who payed for the game, used their free 1 month sub and LEFT...

That is why MMO's go F-2-P in the first place, and that is why the companies put in 'loss leaders' and 'free samplers'.
    <center><font size="+5"><b>Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day...
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life...</b></size></center>
    edited May 2015
    It's not 'bad business", it's very good...

"Hi, welcome to the game, we're glad you took advantage of our Delta Recruit Scheme. You do not NEED a T5-U or T6 to play this game, but they help, to convince you, here is a FREE T5-U Sample pack, keys in the ignition, take her for a spin...

You liked that huh, T5-U's are sweet boats, but yeah that sampler doen't quite suit your class/playstyle, we understand, look, why not check out our selection of bespoke T5-U's in the C-Store, something for everyone...

Kerching!

Thank you for your purchase, had you considered a T6? No? Well, our winter event will feature a cool T6 Sampler, absolutely FREE, stay tuned, and stay with us, we're sure you'll like it, and look forward to selling tou a Bespoke T6 afterwards.

Meanwhile, why not check out Bespoke Uniform packs, Bespoke Premium Race packs, Bespoke Boff packs, and additional char slots and ship slots, available NOW!"

Realistically, a few hundred Pre-Order Lifetime Sub customers with a dozen T6's in stock, will spend LESS over the coming year than tens of thousands of F-2-P Noobs, choosing to upgrade their ships, uniforms, boffs, etc.

The Idea that the game is made fiscally viable by a small number of old lifetime subs, rather than tens of thousands of new pay-as-you-go upgrade customers, is a myth.

Even in the pay to play days, the bulk of the cash came from people who payed for the game, used their free 1 month sub and LEFT...

That is why MMO's go F-2-P in the first place, and that is why the companies put in 'loss leaders' and 'free samplers'.

way better explained than i was able to (due to my Limited English Knowledge) thx and 100% AGREE
  • sunseahlsunseahl Member Posts: 827 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Just curious.... if anyone, non level 60 but over level 50, runs up an excess of Tokens... could we PLEASE have Instant XP gains like the Spec skill increase, just without all the level 60 BS? I stopped playing the game on alts because I refuse to grind as frelling hard on four and five other characters as i did my FED just because they hit 50 before the 60 cap.
    Member of the "Disenchanted"
    We don't want what the Feds have. We want the equivalent. We want fairer treatment. Concern, desire, greed to some extent, and passionate belief that the enough people would buy KDF items to make it worth Cryptic's while.
  • orion0029orion0029 Member Posts: 1,122 Bug Hunter
    edited May 2015

The difference is ships that were available then ARE still available:

The Oddy/Bort Both the C-tore version avalable, and base model available from fleet store.
    The Ambassador/Kamarag? Fleet versions available.
    Risan Corvette and Cruiser? Removed from events.
    Breen ships? Yet undetermined.
    Dyson ships (all variants)? C-Store version available, event version available via Lobi
    Kobali Cruiser? Unavailable since 5th Anniversary event

So even though you, me, and others like us have or can get all the old ships, new players will only be able to get a few of these ships.

Is this right? Should new players have access to only a few of these ships and not others?

That is the point many of us have with arbitrarily removing the summer ships from the event.

As for the pearls? Last year Cryptic kinda opened themselves up for exploitation with the account discount, they admitted this. And the new system, while moderately inconvienient is actually rather fair as the Devs do have to put time into making new stuff for the events so is it so unreasonable that they ask us to do the dailies for the 'shinies' during the event? Also worth noting that Salamiinferno's response there will no longer be any need to do the daily on alts, just pick up the ship at a store, which is actually easier than before.

They could have just deleted the Pearls stating the reasons given, but instead they offered to 'buy' them back in exchange for some trinkets, while I am still somewhat unhappy with the change I understand it and can live with it.

But removing the ships from the event with no real reason given besides 'to maintain exclusivity' is insulting to new players and generally a bad business descision.

I'll admit a T5 Corvette isn't really much of a comparison when you look at a Mercury class, but allowing (new) players to get a functionally simmilar ship for little to no cost would make said players more likely to upgrade to the Mercury class, it's like offering Free Samples.

Not to mention some people would just rather own a 1979 Stingray instead of a 2015 'vette, it's just a matter of preference, so why deny people the choice?
  • phreskophresko Member Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    warpangel wrote: »
    Making them available in the Lobi store would be entirely acceptable. As long as they aren't made entirely unavailable to new players.

New players are important and shouldn't be discriminated against just because they're new. It's not good for the game.

It's better for the game that rewards are connected to content and earned through gameplay. It keeps people in the game.

There are more than enough ships available for zen and lobis (essentially the same thing at this point) and there are bound to be more in the future.
  • jagdhippiesjagdhippies Member Posts: 676 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Checked back in to see if there were any developments and BOOM I saw salamiinferno's update about the past years' ship being account unlocks.

NICE!!!! and THANK YOU!!!!

I was annoyed that they were replacing one currency with a new and identical currency at first. But after reading the reasoning on why they are retiring the pearls I get it. The part that really had me upset was the previous ships going away and what that meant for the next winter event (I REALLY LIKE the Chel Grett). But BOOM, common sense prevailed.

I never bothered with any effort to get the ships early (I just don't see the need, patience and all) so needing a new currency is no skin off of my back.

Good show Devs, good show, you listened and fixed the important part
    My carrier is more powerful than your gal-dread
  • phreskophresko Member Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Nope, common sense did no prevail. The ships will not be available to new players or those that did not or could not participate in past years.
This discussion has been closed.