test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Issues with Stargate Atlantis

13»

Comments

• deaftravis05deaftravis05 Member Posts: 4,885 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    No, the Earth forces that went to the far side of the Universe, then went back in time and built a civilization? ... SGU?
  • kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    The Tenarans from the planet Novus. They're the descendants of Destiny's crew that went back in time due to the incident in "Twin Destinies."
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Don't forget that stunt Ba'al pulled that forced them to use Asgard tech to beam an entire building into space. Stuff like that people notice, especially when it's in the middle of a city..
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    SGU is what Voyager should have been. Voyager had a couple of episodes where they had to deal with everything being damaged and trying to survive, then everything is magically repaired and its as if they haven't left the Alpha Quadrant. The only problem with SGU was those communication stones.
    edited May 2015
    starkaos wrote: »
    SGU is what Voyager should have been. Voyager had a couple of episodes where they had to deal with everything being damaged and trying to survive, then everything is magically repaired and its as if they haven't left the Alpha Quadrant. The only problem with SGU was those communication stones.

Bingo!

And no problem with the communication stones as that was already established in canon to work for a long distance.
  • theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,985 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Bingo!

And no problem with the communication stones as that was already established in canon to work for a long distance.

Problem was the stones were overused and that led to some bad episodes in season 1
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
      edited May 2015
      Problem was the stones were overused and that led to some bad episodes in season 1

That and it made solving problems far too easy. Instead of having the crew struggling to solve a problem, just bring aboard some expert. Also, there was far too many episodes on Earth for a show about a bunch of people stranded billions of lightyears from Earth because of those stones.
    • theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,985 Arc User
      edited May 2015
      starkaos wrote: »
      That and it made solving problems far too easy. Instead of having the crew struggling to solve a problem, just bring aboard some expert. Also, there was far too many episodes on Earth for a show about a bunch of people stranded billions of lightyears from Earth because of those stones.

Earth from season 1 rings a bell
      NMXb2ph.png
        "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
        -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
      • dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
        edited May 2015
        Don't forget that stunt Ba'al pulled that forced them to use Asgard tech to beam an entire building into space. Stuff like that people notice, especially when it's in the middle of a city..

Actually, they evacuated the area. I think the excuse they used was an exploding gas pipe or something bringing the place down. (I also think it drove the in-universe conspiracy theorists nuts because there wasn't that much rubble, but...)

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
        edited May 2015
        they were starting to cut Earth off, if I recall correctly.
      • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
        edited May 2015
        dalolorn wrote: »
        Actually, they evacuated the area. I think the excuse they used was an exploding gas pipe or something bringing the place down. (I also think it drove the in-universe conspiracy theorists nuts because there wasn't that much rubble, but...)
        oh yeah, they created a cover story, but.... it wasn't a very good one.
        -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
        My character Tsin'xing
        Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
        edited May 2015
        oh yeah, they created a cover story, but.... it wasn't a very good one.

no it wasn't. I thought the new season of SGA after the Wraith attack would had been perfect to go public with the program.
      • kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
        edited May 2015
        Forget Ba'al's corporate building or the Wraith attack. What about Anubis' freaking invasion? How the hell do you manage to keep that quiet, especially with a nation wide blackout?
      • proteusrexproteusrex Member Posts: 62 Arc User
        edited May 2015
        Forget Ba'al's corporate building or the Wraith attack. What about Anubis' freaking invasion? How the hell do you manage to keep that quiet, especially with a nation wide blackout?

I agree that it would be hard to hide something like that. But I'm sure they would try. :)
        I actually think a nationwide blackout would help them cover it up.

In 2003, there was a blackout that took out power to Ontario and parts of the Northeastern and Midwestern United States. It lasted 40 some hours and affected 50 million people.

I was in school at the time, and we ended up at a friend's house for the night. It turned into an amazing neighbourhood bbq as people came together to cook up the stuff in their freezers. During that time, we had little or no access to any news or information.

If Anubis was invading a nearby city, we wouldn't have heard anything about it until the lights came back. I suppose a nationwide blackout would have a similar isolating effect.

That's not to say they could cover it up easilly.

Even if cellphone and digital cameras were rarer then, there were definitely camcorders and other recording devices. Not to mention, having to convince a city worth of people that they saw some weather balloons.

The cause of the blackout is a little convoluted. From what I understand, a generating station broke down during a heat wave, putting extra demand on the rest of the system. Then a power line to heat up and drop up on an overgrown tree, which took out another generator. A software bug prevented the proper warnings, and other generators and lines started to overload, and soon a cascading failure rippled through the system. http://www.thestar.com/business/economy/2013/08/13/blackout_2003_how_ontario_went_dark.html

Not sure if that's really what happened, maybe, some weird alien stuff went down instead. :)