test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Confusion over delta recruit marks

dratikusdratikus Member Posts: 120 Arc User
I have 2 delta recruit characters and a main I made 5 years ago, 2 of which are level 54 (the third is only level 24), and have saved all my crates. I never opened them to choose any marks. I'm really confused about what marks are and how I use them. My characters are Federation with the Tier 6 Andromeda class cruiser. I know on other threads the answer always seems to be "well if you care about this get those..." well, I don't even know what there is to "care about" meaning I have no clue even what I am supposed to be doing at "at end game" so I have no clue about what gear to get, what ships to get, what missions to play.. so perhaps this question is best left to the experts who have the time to answer. ;-)

I just need help understanding what's out there and what marks are, how to use them, what I need as a Fed character going forward. Thanks!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Reputation marks are used to:

1. Level up in the stated reputation (through the repeatable XP projects, found in the first two reputation projects slots. The Daily version BTW is the most cost effective. The hourly is there just for a little, twice daily boost.)
    2. Earn reputation gear (through those other projects you can queue up in the 1st and 2nd rep slot.)

These are [primarily] earned through:

1. PVE queues (multiplayer missions with more elaborate objectives than you find in story missions. Refer to the tab below your mini-map for these.)
    2. Battlezones or Adventure Zones (open maps with various tasks to complete. Ex. Kobali Prime, the Solonae Dyson sphere areas, and the Defera Invasion Zone.)

These are also the main pieces of end-game content (intentionally replayable stuff that offers a bit more challenge.)

You may also encounter "elite marks" of some kind or another from higher difficulty content (ex. voth implants, borg neural processors.) These are required for some reputation gear but you can also turn these in for dilithium in the third rep project tab. It should also be noted that excess reputation marks can also be turned in for dilithium. Dilithium, BTW, is used for various special projects, item upgrades, and can be traded for Zen, the game's F2P currency. I know you have a T6 cruiser but its always good to not make too many assumptions when running through the basics. :)

Basically once you complete the story you wander around, replaying what you feel like, and work on improving your ships and characters through reputations, specializations, upgrades, the c-store, and fleets. Reputations, in particular, are a good place to start since they all offer more traits, abilities, and at the end a sizable dilithium payout.

There are also foundry missions to continuously browse through (which are community-authored story missions. They're generally pretty interesting, even when total TRIBBLE :P) and hopefully at some point in the near future cryptic will make those available again from points in sector space (for the moment, just check the foundry tab in your mission assignment menu).
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    They really need to add a toturial for the Reputations and the Specializations.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • bunansabunansa Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    trennan wrote: »
    They really need to add a toturial for the Reputations and the Specializations.

At first I was like, serious?

But I thought about it and its highly possible that Delta Recruitment actually got new players or returning players to come back and actually spend more then a few days playing the game and actually don't have a clue about marks...

You are right, there should be some kind of tutorial, I never really gave it much thought since it first started so many years ago.

Maybe that can be commander Roxy's new job!
    tumblr_ndmkqm59J31r5ynioo2_r2_500.gif

• seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Very basic description..

Once you reach level 50, you will be able to access the 'Reputation' tab in your character panel (Press the 'U' Key.)

This will show your standing with all the specific reputation factions. These are factions designed to fight a specific threat, so the Omega Reputation is Anti-Borg for example. The Counter Command Faction fights the Undine, etc.

There are 5 tiers to each Reputation Faction. As you advance in tiers you get access to better rewards. These rewards come in the form of being able to create new gear (Space and Ground) and also gives you access to Reputation Stores where you can purchase items using Dilitihum. The higher you progress, the better the rewards you will have access to.

You advance in Tiers by completing Daily projects that are found under each faction. When you start a Daily Project, you will spend a small amount of Energy Credits, Expertise Points, and Reputation Marks. Once you start the project, it will run for 20 hours and once complete will grant you 2500XP in that Factions progression. Once you get enough XP to move to the next tier, you will run a project to 'Claim Tier II Reputation' that only takes a few seconds and promotes you to the next 'rank.'

You can only run one daily mission at a time for a faction, but you can run multiple daily projects for multiple factions. So you can simultaneously run a daily for Omega, Romulan, and Nukara, but you can't run 3 for Omega. There are also hourly projects that contribute a smaller amount of experience. You can run the hourly as many times per day as you wish, but only the first 3 hourly projects contribute faction experience.

If you have all your boxes saved up, I would hold on to them for now. You can find information on all the Reputation systems by clicking here. You might want to look at what each faction offers and determine which one you would most like to progress in first. You can then select the marks that correspond to that faction.

Alternatively, you could open them all and pick a different faction each time and start progressing in all of them equally. It's your pick.

Hopefully that helps a little. Feel free to ask any questions you wish.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • dratikusdratikus Member Posts: 120 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    There are 5 tiers to each Reputation Faction. As you advance in tiers you get access to better rewards. These rewards come in the form of being able to create new gear (Space and Ground)

Does making new gear depend on the R&D level? Or is this separate from R&D?
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    dratikus wrote: »
    Rep gear is independent of R&D. Rep gear gives you Mk XII items - which you can then use R&D on to improve to Mk XIV Gold.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Additional Advice on Reputations
    If you brought a reputation to Tier 5, you can create a sponsorship token (requires 100 marks), and give that to another character on your account. If the character uses that sponsorship token in the reputation, it makes it faster to advance that reputation (the Reputation XP reward are doubled). So it's best to pick one character for a particular reputation to finish it first so he can create sponsorship tokens for the other characters.

Also, regarding mark acquisition - you get a daily bonus reward worth 55 Marks for doing any (or at least most) reputation content that awards marks. So it can be very benefitial to do content for different reputations so you earn the daily bonus for each.

Fleet marks
    Aside from the reputation marks, there are also fleet marks.

If you're in a fleet or ever wondered whether you should join one:

If you're part of a fleet, you can spend these marks on fleet projects. The system is very similar to Reputations in that regard, but reputation project inputs are now very simple - expertise, EC and marks. Fleet Projects often require DOFFs, commodities and Dilithium.

The benefit of spending fleet marks for the fleet projects is that you earn Fleet Credits, which you need to buy stuff from the Fleet Store(s). Unlike with the reputation system, the fleet stores requires going to vendors located in the various fleet holdings (Starbase, Romulan Embassy, Dyson Sphere Base, Dilithium Mining Facilities),

Also, advancing the Fleet's holdings unlocks access to gear from the fleet vendors and fleet ships.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    dratikus wrote: »

As mentioned, Rep system is totally independent from R&D system.

Don't worry though, the Rep system is much faster then the RnD system, it doesn't take 2 months to reach max tier in Rep.

You unlock gear as you go. Most deflectors and impulse engines can be obtained by the time you're rank 3. As a general rule, the Shields are the only thing you really have to wait for level 5 for. Once you complete Tier 5, you get a large reward that helps you make at least one item. Most of the rep systems upon completion pay out 750 marks and 32k Dilithium.
    Insert witty signature line here.