test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Federation Races

Comments

• roadghostroadghost Member Posts: 394 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    This thread is becoming a Gornucopia of information.
  • oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    roadghost wrote: »
    This thread is becoming a Gornucopia of information.

Information is good. But the TOS prohibits anything too gornographic on the boards. :P
  • jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Information is good. But the TOS prohibits anything too gornographic on the boards. :P

Wait so we cant post videos of hard core Gornos? :eek:
  • mainamaina Member Posts: 430 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Hard and soft core canon?? :confused:

Your allowed to say that here ? :eek:

Is It like watching hard and soft core Gorn? :D

Nothing soft about a gorn.

LOL I love the weekends....
    gHF1ABR.jpg
  • trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    It's "weaponized" sexual biology of a sorts. Orion females uses sexual hormones for internal control and for nefarious purposes toward outsiders. It's part and parcel of their culture. It's something to appeal to horny teenagers and twenty-somethings, both in the Original Series (where it's not specified what is behind the irresistible power of the "green animal women") and Enterprise (where we got an explanation, and the establishment of Orion culture as matriarchal).

So, yes. There are sexual connotations behind the whole Orion pheromone bit.

I didn't say there wasn't sexual connotations. Just that Orions aren't the "sexual beings" that everyone thinks they are. Given that male orions have teh same power of seduction, its just not as strong as the females. If you break it down to the brass tacks of it. When it comes to the willingness to use sex to get what one wants, humans are the first to step up to the bat on it. Making them them more of a "sexual being" than an Orion.

And its not a "weaponized" sexual biology of sorts. It's natural pheromone produced by the Orion physiology. Because it can also be used as a weapon against them. The quality, amount, and affect are dependant on the emotional state of the Orion. It will help keep a group of Orions calm and happy. But if one becomes frightened or panicked, then everyone one of them is likely to become that way. And this affect can be spread to any races affected by the pheromone.

I agree with the following quote.

"There are three kinds of people I don't want to face while making a deal: Vulcan bankers, Tellarite lawyers, or anybody Orion." -- Carter Winston
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • teknesiateknesia Member Posts: 860 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    A rather narrow view.

What people really want is to have something unique. A lot of what made Trek interesting was Spock, Data, Worf, etc - unique species that were not commonly seen as being part of the overall bland Humanity within Starfleet.

What the OP is asking for is not about wanting an Orion because it "belongs" to the KDF Faction. It is wanting an Orion to have something unique for yourself. A way to feel like it is something special within Starfleet. It seems to me that is why Cryptic originally sold playable species.

That may be true, but it would be right to make sure the Romulans and KDF get theirs if the fed does as well.
    edbf9204-c725-4dab-a35a-46626a4cb978.jpg
    edited April 2015
    teknesia wrote: »
    That may be true, but it would be right to make sure the Romulans and KDF get theirs if the fed does as well.

Not likely. It still holds that the KDF are the red-headed step-children of STO and the Romulans are just kinda over there.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    trennan wrote: »
    Not likely. It still holds that the KDF are the red-headed step-children of STO and the Romulans are just kinda over there.

Romulans are red-headed step child number 2 :P
  • hyperionx09hyperionx09 Member Posts: 1,709 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I think we're all missing the fact that OP was also suggesting them as a premium race unlock.

Like the Catians/Ferasans and Fed Klingons.

Which would be reasonable and fit within due to not be as readily accessible.

The only thing I could see as far as Orions go is either omitting their skimpy wear, or replacing them with some Federation Victoria's Secret Angel wear equivalent (or loosely base a Federation equivalent off the skimpy attire that has been throughout Star Trek).

However, rather than seeing it as a one-time unlock, how about tying it to lower Veteran/Subscriber rewards? Let 250-days unlock Fed Romulans and KDF Romulans (maybe Vulcans instead of Romulans; the rebels and renegades), 500-days unlock Fed Deltans (and some KDF race either pulled from the Fed side or another not-already-playable race), and 750-days unlock Fed Orions and another KDF rac.

That way, rather than spending a one-time fee of 5.50 USD, players spend on the monthly/yearly/lifer subscription and stick with it long enough to earn it, if they haven't already qualified.

Guaranteed profits for Cryptic, and guaranteed results for the hardcore dedicated.
  • kamuii2kamuii2 Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I see. Another Fed bid to take things unique to the other factions and fold it into theirs? You Feds can never have enough.

I have to agree with this one. Ya guys already have more races, ships, items, and services than any of the other factions. The other factions should get some love before they give more stuff to feds.
  • branmakmorrnbranmakmorrn Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    maina wrote: »
    Nothing soft about a gorn.

True 'dat!
    /fist_bump

Also, we demand Ferengi's as a KDF-playable race.

A Ferengi is the 1st NPC you see when you enter the bank in First City, but, we still can't play them.
    You can be a KDF Talaxian, which makes no flippin' sense what-so-ever.

Y'know what, just make it a lock-box thing like they do with the ships, I've seen Risan Corvettes even when there are no playable Orion Corvettes, but what I really want is an actual corvette, like in that movie "Heavy Metal" and the original one, not the re-make, you know like just a convertible flying through space, I mean this is Delta Rising and they found an old Ford truck flying in space in the Voyager episode "The 37's" (First Season? I think) so flying fossil-fuel vehicles in space is already HARD_canon but for this one I want a console that plays the Sammy Hagar song "Heavy Metal" while I'm cruising in sector space and yes other players have to hear it too because: disco balls yeah that's right I went there, and Cryptic should go there too but with this idea I know I know - South Park already did it but who cares, it's a new millennium, there are no lines anymore, as George Carlin so succinctly put it, but yeah totally back on topic: playable whatever flippin race the Feddies want this week but make it a lock-box thing but also Space Cars.
    I, too, like the weekends.
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    looking at the lists of playable races including unlockables like liberated borg I see feds have 19 where as kdf have 10 and roms have only 4.

don't you think if anything they need to add more kdf and rom races before they think about more fed races.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• zzzspina01zzzspina01 Member Posts: 310 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    The Federation has always been accepting of all races. Klingons are even a playable race for the Federation. Can we get some more? such as

Orion
    There have been a few Orions in Starfleet, most notably Gaila in the new alternate timeline "Star Trek".
    Orions would be easy to do, as they are already a race. All that would be required would be to port the
    race over from KDF to Fed.

Romulan
    Since the Romulan Republic and the Federation are close allies, Its only logical that some Romulans
    might join Starfleet. This would also be easy to do since they are already a race, and could just be ported
    over to the Federation as playable Races.

Deltan
    Deltans were featured in Star Trek: The motion picture, and Star Trek III: Search for spock. They could be
    made a playable race, although they might take a bit more work than the Orions and Romulans, because
    they aren't currently a race.

I would be more than willing to pay 550 zen to have one of these as a playable race. (similar to the Joined Trill, or the Federation Klingons) as im sure others would.

What do you all think?

if all the races where intermixable. there wouldn't be a need for a federation, Klingon and romulan faction. you might as well have just one big faction and be able to change your screen to suite weather you want to play as a human with a Klingon background screen, or a Klingon with a romulan background screen. this even seems to be the way STO could be headed.
    I cant brain I have the dumb
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I think we're all missing the fact that OP was also suggesting them as a premium race unlock.

Like the Catians/Ferasans and Fed Klingons.

Which would be reasonable and fit within due to not be as readily accessible.

The only thing I could see as far as Orions go is either omitting their skimpy wear, or replacing them with some Federation Victoria's Secret Angel wear equivalent (or loosely base a Federation equivalent off the skimpy attire that has been throughout Star Trek).

However, rather than seeing it as a one-time unlock, how about tying it to lower Veteran/Subscriber rewards? Let 250-days unlock Fed Romulans and KDF Romulans (maybe Vulcans instead of Romulans; the rebels and renegades), 500-days unlock Fed Deltans (and some KDF race either pulled from the Fed side or another not-already-playable race), and 750-days unlock Fed Orions and another KDF rac.

That way, rather than spending a one-time fee of 5.50 USD, players spend on the monthly/yearly/lifer subscription and stick with it long enough to earn it, if they haven't already qualified.

Guaranteed profits for Cryptic, and guaranteed results for the hardcore dedicated.

It doesn't matter if it's a Premium purchase.

No.

Roll the other factions.
    What I see is a player of a game wanting something to make his play experience more enjoyable rather then common. You know, like Jedi being allowed to be Sith species in SWTOR and other such games.

And maybe I do not like the KDF stories. Should I be forced to play through missions I do not like just because I want to play an Orion? Plus, let us not forget that there are already playable Klingons for the Federation, and playable Joined Trill for the KDF. I am really not seeing much difference here.

In the end it is all about making your play-experience enjoyable rather then some delusional limited Faction thinking.

2 wrongs don't make it right. Or in STO's case, a multitude of wrongs don't make it right.

You want those factions races, you roll those factions.

I don't care if you don't like the KDF stories. It's the same as me thinking the Federation missions are the most generically dull, unimaginative storylines in this game. But if I want to have a Vulcan, Human, Andorian character, then dammit, I have to play Fed. If I want to roll a Romulan/Reman character, then dammit, I have to play Romulan Republic. I love my Vulcan captain. She was my very first character when this game came out. But I wouldn't go so far as to wanting them to be in the KDF or whatnot.

Simple.

The lines between the factions should be much sharper and enticements should be made for playing each of them. Not folding all good elements into just 1 of them.
    Paranoid much?

It's a truthful observation and one that should be blatantly clear to anyone that plays the different factions.
    Somebody must have gotten access to your account. Because I've seen too many intelligent, thoughtful posts from you to believe that this typical childish, knee-jerk tripe is actually you posting.

I try, but thanks :)
    XzRTofz.gif
  • xenificationxenification Member Posts: 615 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    A rather narrow view.

What people really want is to have something unique. A lot of what made Trek interesting was Spock, Data, Worf, etc - unique species that were not commonly seen as being part of the overall bland Humanity within Starfleet.

What the OP is asking for is not about wanting an Orion because it "belongs" to the KDF Faction. It is wanting an Orion to have something unique for yourself. A way to feel like it is something special within Starfleet. It seems to me that is why Cryptic originally sold playable species.

not really a narrow view..

misinterpreted perhaps, he has a point.

the problem with it is if you start putting certain things in a game (any game) that are already in another faction, it takes the lure away from that part of the gameplay/faction.

Sure it makes sense to do what the op is asking for but sometimes even things that make sense aren't needed or wouldnt be a good idea.

I know its not the same but imagine if feds could run around in faction specific ships that aren't fed specific (playable factions i mean) different issue same principle.

I understand both sides of the argument but ugh I personally wouldn't like it.

As for the "playable species" I think they're just a sales gimmick to be honest, sure they're unique but they sell as well and I wouldn't want parts of the gameplay compromised just to make a sale even though its already happening.
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,309 Community Moderator
    edited April 2015
    I wouldn't mind seeing Deltans as a FED Orion equivalent, but not giving Orions themselves to FEDs. And FEDs already have Vulcans, so they don't need Romulans.

I'm on the side of keeping certain playable Races exclusive to certain Factions. That being said, I believe that there are certain playable Races that should be cross-faction available, the most obvious being Ferengi, even if they had been a C-Store unlock.

If one just wants the look of a certain playable Race, then the Alien generator can reproduce most of the ones already available, and make some that aren't. So, you can have your FED "Orion" and "Romulan".

A few things that I'd like to see for the "Alien" option are: 1) More species themed lockbox Traits or C-Store Trait packs, like the Hirogen ones. I made a reasonable looking Hirogen when the Hirogen lockbox came out, and gave him those Traits to make him play more like a Hirogen; 2) More parts added, especially for canon species. We may never get actual playable Jem'Hadar, but it would be nice to make a reasonable facsimile; 3) The ability to "name" our Alien race. That way it would appear in the bio info when another player clicks on your character, rather than just Alien. Filtering could protect other IP copyrights and keep out other abuses. These options could allow players to play as certain Races, even the more obscure ones, without Cryptic needing to add all new Factions, etc.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • rikersdadrikersdad Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Roylans too

I would like a Fed Gorn, we should be well past hostilities at this point. Gorn have that reptilian strength and knockback resist. Saurians are not as badass looking

I wonder how many people really play as Rigelian or Bolian though.
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    kamuii2 wrote: »
    I have to agree with this one. Ya guys already have more races, ships, items, and services than any of the other factions. The other factions should get some love before they give more stuff to feds.
    There are no "ya guys." There are just a bunch of Star Trek Online players. The problem is not the game. The problem is there are some players who think they are Feds, or KDF, or Roms. You are not. You are just STO players. Stop pretending the Factions really mean anything. In this game they are primarily cosmetic. Once everyone gets to the Rom FE we are all doing the same story, anyway.

The game already has purchase-and-play Klingons for the Feds and Trill for the KDF. The game will not fall apart if you can purchase-and-play an Orion as a Fed or an Andorian as a KDF - or anything as a Rom. Why not? Because at the end of the day it really means nothing to the story - the story does not care what species you play. It is all about player enjoyment and making them willing to keep spending money on whatever characters they are playing.

As I said, above, STO is not the only game in existence when players can buy playable species from other Factions. I do not see people on the SWTOR forum getting upset because someone is playing a Jedi Chiss or a Sith Twi'lek.

At the end of the day any reason someone has to spend money on STO only benefits everyone. Money keeps the game moving. What species someone plays means nothing to anyone but themselves.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
    edited April 2015
    I wouldn't mind seeing Deltans as a FED Orion equivalent, but not giving Orions themselves to FEDs. And FEDs already have Vulcans, so they don't need Romulans.

I'm on the side of keeping certain playable Races exclusive to certain Factions. That being said, I believe that there are certain playable Races that should be cross-faction available, the most obvious being Ferengi, even if they had been a C-Store unlock.

If one just wants the look of a certain playable Race, then the Alien generator can reproduce most of the ones already available, and make some that aren't. So, you can have your FED "Orion" and "Romulan".

A few things that I'd like to see for the "Alien" option are: 1) More species themed lockbox Traits or C-Store Trait packs, like the Hirogen ones. I made a reasonable looking Hirogen when the Hirogen lockbox came out, and gave him those Traits to make him play more like a Hirogen; 2) More parts added, especially for canon species. We may never get actual playable Jem'Hadar, but it would be nice to make a reasonable facsimile; 3) The ability to "name" our Alien race. That way it would appear in the bio info when another player clicks on your character, rather than just Alien. Filtering could protect other IP copyrights and keep out other abuses. These options could allow players to play as certain Races, even the more obscure ones, without Cryptic needing to add all new Factions, etc.

No, no, no, no, NO, and OH HELL NO!.

The Federation can keep the ferengi. We have our own, we call them Orions. We have an amiable business arrangement with them. The Ferengi, would just mess that all up. What I would like to see is Drozana station run by Orions and not Ferengi.

As far as the alien generator goes. Yeah I wouldn't mind being able to name my race, as well as pick it's racial passives. Which I would love to be able to do. Since I created, as far as I know, the first Federation Romulan back in 2012. And my latest Fed officer that is an alien, YAY... I get to pick 1 extra trait and no passive racial ability.

As far as Jem'hadar goes, well you can make a reasonable facsimile of them using he alien template.

Voth on the other hand... Yeah, I've had trouble getting that funky head shape right. So I wouldn't mind seeing that added to the head selections of the alien race.

There are races already in game that could be made in to new faction races. Breen and Cardassian just to name two. Talaxian has already been added as a lifer benefit, though I've seen more of these KDF side than Fed side.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Um...what's wrong with alien? You don't have to be creative, canon ST races are avaialble there too (you just don't get a commonly sub-optimal trait and specific species label.)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
    edited April 2015
    Um...what's wrong with alien? You don't have to be creative, canon ST races are avaialble there too (you just don't get a commonly sub-optimal trait and specific species label.)

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with "alien". I can live with that as a racial tag. Though being able to pick that aliens sub-optimal racial abilites would be nice.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • ayradyssayradyss Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    There are no "ya guys." There are just a bunch of Star Trek Online players. The problem is not the game. The problem is there are some players who think they are Feds, or KDF, or Roms. You are not. You are just STO players. Stop pretending the Factions really mean anything. In this game they are primarily cosmetic. Once everyone gets to the Rom FE we are all doing the same story, anyway.

The game already has purchase-and-play Klingons for the Feds and Trill for the KDF. The game will not fall apart if you can purchase-and-play an Orion as a Fed or an Andorian as a KDF - or anything as a Rom. Why not? Because at the end of the day it really means nothing to the story - the story does not care what species you play. It is all about player enjoyment and making them willing to keep spending money on whatever characters they are playing.

As I said, above, STO is not the only game in existence when players can buy playable species from other Factions. I do not see people on the SWTOR forum getting upset because someone is playing a Jedi Chiss or a Sith Twi'lek.

At the end of the day any reason someone has to spend money on STO only benefits everyone. Money keeps the game moving. What species someone plays means nothing to anyone but themselves.

Great post, IMO! I find myself very much in agreement. Particularly with the statement, "There are no "ya guys." There are just a bunch of Star Trek Online players. The problem is not the game. The problem is there are some players who think they are Feds, or KDF, or Roms. You are not. You are just STO players."

IMO, Cryptic is not 'cheating' anyone nor 'short-changing' anyone on content. Why? Because each and every player of this game has the -whole game- available to them. There is no such thing as a 'Fed,' 'KDF,' or 'Romulan' account. Every account has full access to all three factions. If any individual chooses to restrict themselves to only playing one faction, then that's precisely that -- their choice -- and it's entirely a self-imposed restriction. Cryptic isn't denying content to anyone. YOU (if you're one of these people) are.

I have and play characters in all three factions, and it really doesn't worry me, when new content is made, what faction it's for. I mean, yes, it would generally be nice to have lots of options everywhere -- that's always a good goal -- but I'm not going to go on about Cryptic 'not making any content for me' because -all- of the content is made for me as much as anyone else.
    Live long, and prosper.
  • majesticmsfcmajesticmsfc Member Posts: 1,401 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I see. Another Fed bid to take things unique to the other factions and fold it into theirs? You Feds can never have enough.

That is clear as day.
    If you want your Orion, go KDF.

If you want your Romulan, go Romulan Republic.

You took the words right out of my mouth.

OP you can even align your Romulan with the Feddies if you want.

We need more faction uniqueness not more Fed's getting everything from other factions. Just roll an alt from another faction and be done with it. If Cryptic had said that from the start, the KDF and Federation would still have uniqueness and the game would be all the better for it.
    Support the Game by Supporting the KDF, equality and uniqueness for all factions!
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    What do you all think?

Deltans or Daenobulans would be a really cool addition.

As far as Romulans and Orions are concerned it is correct that we can get them as Bridge officers already and the war is over. However bringing them into a playable race as fed would be tricky because I think both are solid pro arguments why peeps bother with the other factions at all. If they are available fed the Romulan Klingon factions would loose a great deal of future players in my opinion.

Bold statement from someone who just made a Klingon Delta Recruit… Fed side, eh? :o
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • staq16staq16 Member Posts: 1,181 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Deltans or Daenobulans would be a really cool addition.

This.

Both races have provided memorable, major ST characters - Ilia and Phlox - and have some obvious racial traits they could use. Deltans could probably have an, ahem, "discreet" form of the Orion seduce power - call it "Enhanced empathy" - while Denobulans seem incredibly robust against things like toxins and radiation.

Frankly, it's crazy that throwaway aliens-of-the week like the Pakleds and Benzites are playable, while the far higher-profile races above are not.
  • nickcastletonnickcastleton Member Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    how about a deal.

you fed get orions KDF get ferengi.

Fair?
    0bzJyzP.gif

"It appears we have lost our sex appeal, captain."- Tuvok
  • nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    how about a deal.

you fed get orions KDF get ferengi.

Fair?

Bout as fair as the lockbox console trades... Which is too say KDF getting the bad end of the deal... again.

really our raiders, our green women, even the home world when is does it end. :( TRIBBLE it. :mad: I'm joining the Borg. :P

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
    edited April 2015
    nightken wrote: »
    Bout as fair as the lockbox console trades... Which is too say KDF getting the bad end of the deal... again.

really our raiders, our green women, even the home world when is does it end. :( TRIBBLE it. :mad: I'm joining the Borg. :P

At this point and time.. I'm thinking joining the Inconians might not bbe a bad idea.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    trennan wrote: »
    At this point and time.. I'm thinking joining the Inconians might not bbe a bad idea.

Help the borg assimilate the inconians then join the borg?

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • zzzspina01zzzspina01 Member Posts: 310 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I cant brain I have the dumb