test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Tales of lags and DX11 crashes

2»

Comments

• mikearoomikearoo Member Posts: 342 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    alcyoneserene , it was just fate. I had my GTX460 fail last year, green artifacts etc, eventually it would crash windows the second aero was activated. Nothing software related caused this, and like yours, it was in a well ventilated setup and never overclocked. Sometimes they just go, but I give this example.

Since I had nothing to lose with this card since I ordered another, I baked it in the oven, took the sleeve and everything off it and baked it at 200C for 9 minutes. Once cool and re-assembled, the card worked perfectly until the new one arrived. This proves that it was just a bad soldier joint, which developed over time and eventually failed with the continuing hot/cold cycles of a graphics card going through the motions :) . To this date however, its been the only card I have had that has failed, and well done buying eVGA, they have always treated me well.

As for AMD, AMD has always always been cursed with bad software. A lot of the time the graphics cards are just fine but time and time again I ran into issues with Catalyst (and even a friends Omega setup) to the point I just will never buy one again, end of story.

As for lag, I know so many people this affects, and it is an absolute miracle (for me) that I am not affected. I play this via a cell (mobile) phone on 3G in the middle of an outback mountain range in Australia. Sure I get lag pockets here and there, but I'm only on 3G (no the current provider doesn't even give HSDPA or LTE here), so that is to be expected.

For everyone, I hope they make progress with it, but for the mean time, I have a question about it. What about tunnelling software? I remember a lot of folks down here using it to get better pings to try and play on china's Blade and Soul's servers. Would such software help get around the bad network area that is causing this lag?
  • fruitvendor12fruitvendor12 Member Posts: 615 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    valoreah wrote: »
    This assumes Cryptic can do anything about it. Not sure where you are from, but here in the USA, certain providers have monopolies in their various areas and there is simply no choice who you can go with. It's not like anyone can switch providers with a phone call.
    That is not an unreasonable observation if it were not for the fact many of us have no problems connecting with other servers literally across the globe not just in PWE's backyard and do not see those pathing problems.

If your point is ISPs are singling out Cogent and/or PWE for nasty NN games, fine but I'd like to see some sort of proof.

What I do see is over the past few weeks I have to reboot router and PC to get access to STO again. What I do see is me working with other technical folks who are all over PST zones with no such problems. My job depends on that ability. And only with STO do I have this problem.

Nope, I think it is a combination of flaky client netcode with overall capacity and infrastructure. They are not handling demand evenly or well, and their client code appears to TRIBBLE out over time.
  • captainpugwash1captainpugwash1 Member Posts: 908 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Its interesting that they have to remove game content every time they release something new,,,???
  • bobtheskull99bobtheskull99 Member Posts: 706 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I guess I should be grateful my ISP has nothing to do with Cogent....been lag free a long time now
  • fruitvendor12fruitvendor12 Member Posts: 615 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    It very well could be that Cogentco is being targeted. One of the things being looked at was a possible a DDoS attack, so it's not without merit.

Were it purely netcode, capacity and infrastructure, then everyone would be impacted. Clearly not everyone is.
    Fair point. Still strange to me that before today rebooting my router/pc seemed to help.

Nothing helps today. Been trying off and on for six hours.
  • jornadojornado Member Posts: 918 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    This assumes Cryptic can do anything about it. Not sure where you are from, but here in the USA, certain providers have monopolies in their various areas and there is simply no choice who you can go with. It's not like anyone can switch providers with a phone call.

There are many datastream battles going on between ISP firms where certain ISPs are throttling data and citing some other issues to try force others to submit to their demands.

This kind of thing is causing frustration for a lot of different businesses, consumers etc. across the internet. Annoying as it is, there may not be a simple solution and acknowledging the problem isn't going to change anything really.

Not strictly true - even in monopoly areas, assuming there is any sort of large metropolitan area nearby, there are almost always private companies that do dedicated fiber lines for business (or home use if you have the cheddar).

That being said, the ISP situation is TRIBBLE here in the US, as you said.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My guess is "hope" keeps people not playing but posting on the forums. For others, its a path of sad realization and closure. Grieving takes time. The worst "haters" here love the game, or did at some point.
  • dratikusdratikus Member Posts: 120 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    hatchetl4d wrote: »
    he verify is finding no errors. I been thru all this a dozen times. I have reason to be annoyed.

Are you certain it's the game and not a defective card or bugs in the driver? When a video card goes bad weird things can happen that make it seem like a specific piece of software is to blame when it's actually the hardware or drivers. Make sure you have all the updates for Direct X 11: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/179113
  • voivodjevoivodje Member Posts: 436 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Let's not turn this into a graphical technical support thread this about to make noise to get an official statement since the game is unplayable for many people or say roughly playable.

If someone want help with their cards or advice pm me or post in the support forum. I ll try and get everyone I know that has those problems to post here.

If itz not a cryptic problem with the lags and ISP related fine but TELL US. At the end of the day itz still cryptics problem since itz their game beeing influenced by that. And I for one want nothing than to Play this game smoothly since I like it :D
    What kind of logic is that?
    So, if you tank very bad fuel, your car dying by that fuel, then it's the car sellers problem?

Yes, it's Cryptics game, NO, it's not THEIR internet.
  • aoax10aoax10 Member Posts: 271 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    voivodje wrote: »
    R9 AMD graph card, from what I know these tend to run HOT, do you have sufficient cooling?

Something that I was wondering about is, do the newer cards support the extremely old games still?
    Like for instance, if I think about Diablo (original), that's now unplayable, all colours become awkward?
    Maybe lesser incompatibility issues create these system lags?

It runs at 45 degrees full load. I actually took off the original thermal grease and applied Silver 5. I can play other heavy graphic games like Dying Light on max just fine.
  • hatchetl4dhatchetl4d Member Posts: 130 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    @voivodje

What Kind of logic is that?

A way more fitting example would be: You buy a fast new car but can't use it cause the roads are blocked.

You don't even know for sure itz a ISP problem where's your prove? And yes itz Cryptic's game but it USES INTERNET.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • lordcuttersladelordcutterslade Member Posts: 116 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    What a coincidence that this entire lagfest started EXACTLY at Delta Rising patchday!
    People had no or only minor lag issues before that.(including myself)
    90% of my friendslist is experiencing lag on every single day since then.
    Lots have even stopped playing STO because of the lag situation.

Ye sure...let's blame our PC's or graphic cards or ISPs....let's blame everyone except Cryptic.

I've spoken to almost everyone on my friendslist about the lag and they're only experiencing it in STO! Every other MMO, online game runs perfectly!
    And they're coming from different locations: US, UK, Scottland, Germany, Poland, France, eastern europe...just to name a few...

Super long launcher loading times (black launcher screen), SNR, Space PvE mega lagfest (infected...just google it^^), ESD lag....the list goes on and on...

There's countless lag or connection issue threads on technical forum section but no one gives a ****

On a side note...
    I read something about a DDoS attack....
    Any news about that?
    Who knows...maybe that's the reason for all the lag...
    Cryptic can blame it on someone else then i guess lol
    [SIGPIC]Everything is awesome![/SIGPIC]
  • woodwhitywoodwhity Member Posts: 2,636 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    The lag is cryptics way to counter dps.
  • pwlaughingtrendypwlaughingtrendy Member Posts: 2,966 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    If you are reading this and you are one of those "uhhh everything is working fine for me I never had a lag in my neat life, check your connection" get outta here, you're not helping.

Preemptively telling people this, in this way is creating flamebait. Really.
    This threads purpose is to make noise. Everybody that is experiencing any of those problems SHOUT and keep this thread alive.

Have you not seen the 49 page thread in Galactic News that I created, with multiple user responses? The one where I've been constantly sending data reports to the team trying desperately to resolve this issue? If the purpose of this thread is simply to create noise, then the purpose is defunct and only inflaming a situation when we already have a thread where people are submitting data and working to actually resolve the situation.

Not just create noise.
This discussion has been closed.