test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Worst movie ever?

Comments

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    kuntel wrote: »
    A. I can see your opinion, but don't see were you get SW. Might need to re-read it.

B. I may have rose-coloured lenses on the sequels, but... okay.

C. You know my opinion.
    Me and some friends sat down and watched the movie and compared the various characters to characters from SW and LotR. some, especially the Lich guy, don't have direct analogues, but almost all of them have some sort of counterpart. then one of my friends read a review (I forget whether it was the book or the movie) where the review could be easily summed up as "It's well written but highly derivative."
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    worffan101 wrote: »
    I didn't care that Korra was an Inuit analogue and bi, I just cared that she had girl problems, jerk problems, and kicked a lot of butt.

Same way as I'm not fourth in-line to the throne of a racist fantasy culture on a windswept ball of rock on the TRIBBLE$ end of space, but I can still identify with Renarin Kholin.

Same way as I'm not a Native American-analogue with telekinetic control over gases, and I still like and identify with Aang.

And so are a LOT of other people.

Why do you think Brandon Sanderson sells so well? Why do you think Legend of Korra and Avatar: The Last Airbender were so popular??

Don't get me wrong, I prefer diversity in my protagonists, but executives love formulas for their company's novels, movies, and music. Which is why cliches are unfortunately so popular.
  • worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    starkaos wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong, I prefer diversity in my protagonists, but executives love formulas for their company's novels, movies, and music. Which is why cliches are unfortunately so popular.

Doesn't mean either of us have to like it.
    edited March 2015
    starkaos wrote: »
    also... clich
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    also... clich
  • mjarbarmjarbar Member Posts: 2,084 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    The way the studio exec sees it is that if you are a fan of the source material then chances are you are going to go and see the movie i.e. a dead cert for a bum on seat.

The reason they use the SWM a lot is because it is about as much a blank slate they can get - I'm not saying it's right either, but there is a reason - and what they are hoping to catch is the type of audience that goes to the cinema on a whim, and by having a main protagonist that is already seen to have baggage means they are potentially turning that audience away before they have even stepped into the cinema or brought a ticket.

Conversely if you do have a non standard SWM and then don't make use of it, then there was no point in them being there anyway and you have a TRIBBLE film that people won't go to see either!

At the end of the day it comes down to the people who sign the checks getting the most bang for their buck, and the most bums on seats.
    hZbIdbh.jpg
    THANK YOU FOUNDRY - YOUR CONTENT GAVE ME MANY HAPPY HOURS
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    edited March 2015
    Hey, Sander, I found a good thing about Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun Li.

Michael Clarke Duncan was having the time of his LIFE in that one.

Which was nice because it tickles my nostalgia.

Otherwise, though, that thing was unwatchable.
  • kuntelkuntel Member Posts: 16,484 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I didn't care that Korra was an Inuit analogue and bi, I just cared that she had girl problems, jerk problems, and kicked a lot of butt.

Same way as I'm not fourth in-line to the throne of a racist fantasy culture on a windswept ball of rock on the TRIBBLE$ end of space, but I can still identify with Renarin Kholin.

Same way as I'm not a Native American-analogue with telekinetic control over gases, and I still like and identify with Aang.

Why do you think Brandon Sanderson sells so well? Why do you think Legend of Korra and Avatar: The Last Airbender were so popular??

I can see Inuit for the water tribes totally but... Native American for Aang? Just because his race was annihilated like the Native American tribes doesn't mean you can ignore the obvious Buddhist culture there. I would say the better correlation would be the persecuted Tibetan monks in... Well Tibet.
    edited March 2015
    I can see Inuit for the water tribes totally but... Native American for Aang? Just because his race was annihilated like the Native American tribes doesn't mean you can ignore the obvious Buddhist culture there. I would say the better correlation would be the persecuted Tibetan monks in... Well Tibet.

True, and there is the factor of two prominent airbenders being named Tenzin and Gyatso, but the Air Nation culture was very much nomadic and dependent on sky bison...

I got a strong Plains Native American vibe from them, myself. The massacre at the southern Air Temple reminded me strongly of Wounded Knee, especially.

Perhaps a fusion of Native American and Tibetan?
    edited March 2015
    True, and there is the factor of two prominent airbenders being named Tenzin and Gyatso, but the Air Nation culture was very much nomadic and dependent on sky bison...

I got a strong Plains Native American vibe from them, myself. The massacre at the southern Air Temple reminded me strongly of Wounded Knee, especially.

Perhaps a fusion of Native American and Tibetan?

Perhaps I didn't get nomadic from them because I never read the books/manga but... Typical the presence of a settlement like a temple that can't be picked up and moved easily proves they're not nomadic.

I think you may have gotten the nomadic feeling because the writer might have emphasized a monastery's suggestion to it's monks to go on pilgrimages. You know those stories of Chinese martial artists wondering the land helping people? Derived from Buddhist monks on pilgrimage.

My theory is that the Airbenders encouraged the same thing among young members so that they have more experience and can see the world.
    edited March 2015
    Perhaps I didn't get nomadic from them because I never read the books/manga but... Typical the presence of a settlement like a temple that can't be picked up and moved easily proves they're not nomadic.

I think you may have gotten the nomadic feeling because the writer might have emphasized a monastery's suggestion to it's monks to go on pilgrimages. You know those stories of Chinese martial artists wondering the land helping people? Derived from Buddhist monks on pilgrimage.

My theory is that the Airbenders encouraged the same thing among young members so that they have more experience and can see the world.

They're called the Air Nomads. IIRC Aang said something about them moving from temple to temple throughout the year, too.

Anyway, I just got the Native American vibe stronger than the Tibetan vibe. :/
    edited March 2015
    They're called the Air Nomads. IIRC Aang said something about them moving from temple to temple throughout the year, too.

Anyway, I just got the Native American vibe stronger than the Tibetan vibe. :/

*Shrugs*

Guess it works either way.:D
    edited March 2015
    I watched The Smurfs 1 and 2 a few day ago.

And my childhood died. :(

But Azreal did make me laugh. But the guy who played Gargamel was just plain stupid. The original never acted like a total **** like he played him. :mad:
    Enh... I liked it about as much as I liked the original.

Gargamel was a pretty mean guy in the original. This is the guy who created Smurfette simply as a way to have an evil Smurf to help him with his plans.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,102 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    IMO - the italian made, Star Wars homage/ripoff entitled:

Starcrash (1979)

The trailer (link)

And if you think you can stomach it, the actual film (link)

:eek::D:cool:
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    edited March 2015

One thing; weren't the Airbenders based on Tibetan monks, not Native Americans?

On that note, add The Last Airbender to my list of worst films. Keep Shamylan away from Hollywood! Especially franchises with a strong fanbase!

Oh, and Thunderbirds (2004). Hate that film.

In fact, let me rate my most hated films:

1) Batman and Robin (A BAT CREDIT CARD?!!!!!!!!!)
    2) The Last Airbender (Why can we never have nice things?)
    3) Thunderbirds (2004) (...*feels childhood die a little*...)

(I should at this point note that I grew up on reruns of the Thunderbirds - I'm still in College, so I wasn't born yet when the show first aired. Other fixtures of my Childhood include but are not limited to Spider-Man TAS, Star Trek TNG, Doctor Who, Flintstones, Top Cat and Danger Mouse.)
  • mjarbarmjarbar Member Posts: 2,084 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    ryan218 wrote: »
    (I should at this point note that I grew up on reruns of the Thunderbirds - I'm still in College, so I wasn't born yet when the show first aired. Other fixtures of my Childhood include but are not limited to Spider-Man TAS, Star Trek TNG, Doctor Who, Flintstones, Top Cat and Danger Mouse.)

Add to that Captain Scarlet and Hong Kong Phooy and you have yourself a pretty solid upbringing!
    hZbIdbh.jpg
    THANK YOU FOUNDRY - YOUR CONTENT GAVE ME MANY HAPPY HOURS
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • ussprometheus79ussprometheus79 Member Posts: 727 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Worst movie ever?

Some J.J. Abrams thing....there's a couple I could pick from. :D
    If you've come to the forums to complain about the AFK system, it's known to be bugged at the moment.
  • jellico1jellico1 Member Posts: 2,719
    edited March 2015
    John Wayne , One of my favorite actors of all time

Saw a movie with him as the star had never saw the title before so I rented it he looked really young on the cover

I was excited A wayne movie I had never saw

A little bit into the movie I noticed the horses were moving faster than they were running.....Frown

saw a shootout where the guys werer shooting more bullets than the pistols could shoot without reloading...Frown

The cowboys were more accurate riding at a Gallop hitting there targets than standing still on the ground aiming..Frown

Here is where I ejected the movie from my machine

John Wayne started singing !!!

No just No..........I mean it NO
    Jellico....Engineer ground.....Da'val Romulan space Sci
    Saphire.. Science ground......Ko'el Romulan space Tac
    Leva........Tactical ground.....Koj Romulan space Eng

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
  • radaikofromulusradaikofromulus Member Posts: 164 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    But the winner is...........* drum roll *............Both JJ Trek's........mainly Star Trek : Into Darkness

Im going to second you on that one. After ST: 2009, I thought to myself, "why pay $30 to be disappointed in full I-Max? When you can be disappointed at home, for free". Honestly, it's been a long time since I've sat down to watch a movie for the very first time, only to spend the second half of the film being more entertained by my cell phone.
  • kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    jellico1 wrote: »
    John Wayne , One of my favorite actors of all time

Saw a movie with him as the star had never saw the title before so I rented it he looked really young on the cover

I was excited A wayne movie I had never saw

A little bit into the movie I noticed the horses were moving faster than they were running.....Frown

saw a shootout where the guys werer shooting more bullets than the pistols could shoot without reloading...Frown

The cowboys were more accurate riding at a Gallop hitting there targets than standing still on the ground aiming..Frown

Here is where I ejected the movie from my machine

John Wayne started singing !!!

No just No..........I mean it NO

It could have been worse... it could have been The Conqueror.
  • proteusrexproteusrex Member Posts: 62 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I usually enjoy every movie I see in the theatre, mostly because I enjoy the experience of going. It's not until I get home and take a bit of time to think that a movie falls apart.

But this one hurt so much. I wanted to walk out, but instead I held onto the belief that 'maybe it'll get better'

Nope...

Ballistic: Ecks vs. Sever

Most of it has been blocked from my memory, but I do recall noticing that the good guys used apple products, and the bad guys used 'generic' PC products. Once I figured that out, I knew who was on what side regardless of whether they were 'secretly a bad guy' or 'really a good guy'.

ugh.... hurts to bring it back up.

On a side note, check out the Earwolf podcast "How did this get made" (http://www.earwolf.com/show/how-did-this-get-made/) They humorously mock/dissect many of the gems mentioned on this thread.
  • grylakgrylak Member Posts: 1,594 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Project almanac. The dumbest smart people ever, complete lack of any meaningful plot an hour in, teenage girls recording their school classes for no reason other than to give us a frame of reference later, who is later told to record everything, changes the rules of time travel it was using part way through ( you either use are destination paradox, or back to the future style. You do not have a pre destination paradox to set the thing in motion, then decide when they do go back in time, they now change the present. If the present isn't changed until you go back in time, then how the hell did he see himself on the video from ten years ago which lead to him discovering the time machine in the first place, before he had ever gone back in time to be on the video???)

And the camera work made me seasick. That is the ONLY film I've ever walked out of.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
  • philipclaybergphilipclayberg Member Posts: 1,680
    edited April 2015
    I agree with Mystery Science Theater 3000's assessment: "Manos: The Hands of Fate" is the worst movie ever.

And (my own) second place finisher: "Frankenhooker".

Not sure if these movies were meant to be so bad. At least the second one had its (occasional) moments.
  • ilithynilithyn Member Posts: 903 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    The Sword and the Sorcerer.
    I have nothing good to say about this movie and that is a rare thing. No plot (and I mean none whatsoever, at least none that makes any shred sense), the special effects are horrible even for a 80's movie (the special effects in TOS is lightyears ahead of what this movies presents) and 1st grade school plays have better acting.
    The only thing that amazes me about it is that I sat through the whole thing. (I had some vain hope that it would go somewhere eventually. It didn't.)
    Logic is the beginning of wisdom, not the end of it.
  • ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Who put this thread on the Genesis Planet?

Anyway, my vote goes to Spiderman 3. Spider-Man is supposed to tell jokes, not become one!
  • djxprimedjxprime Member Posts: 522 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    ryan218 wrote: »
    Anyway, my vote goes to Spiderman 3. Spider-Man is supposed to tell jokes, not become one!

I have to agree. Also Topher Grace sucked as Eddie Brock. In fact, I didn't think he was playing Eddie Brock; he was playing Forman from That 70's Show playing Eddie Brock.

As for my pick for worst film, Battlefield: Earth ranks up there. 15 years later and I still want my money back!
    Kkerp5u.jpg?1

"No matter where you go...there you are."