test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Can this be done?

prierinprierin Member Posts: 7 Arc User
I'd like to have the player's ship targetted and attacked not by another ship but a targettable object on the planet's surface. Something stationary but destroyable.

Is this possible?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
You will forever be missed and never forgotten.
Post edited by prierin on

Comments

• prierinprierin Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I'm thinking some sort of orbital platform hidden in the planet's texture, too small to "see" but targettable? Maybe...?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    yeah... we don't have those. Only ships can shoot at the player.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    prierin wrote: »
    I'd like to have the player's ship targetted and attacked not by another ship but a targettable object on the planet's surface. Something stationary but destroyable.

Is this possible?

I have seen people put small ships like shuttles or fighters inside of larger stationary objects like starbases, to give the appearance that the starbase was firing on the player ship. However I have no idea if this could work with a planet.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I've experimented with that. The trouble is that in order to fire, there has to be nothing between the two ships. So the enemy has to be above - or intersected with - the surface of the planet, and that means they can fly around while they shoot you.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • dratikusdratikus Member Posts: 120 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I just tried it with a Borg Cube inside a planet. The thing I don't like is it still says "Cube" and you can fire back. I made a small video. https://youtu.be/MqmSxmAWrsc
    edited April 2015
    I've experimented with that. The trouble is that in order to fire, there has to be nothing between the two ships. So the enemy has to be above - or intersected with - the surface of the planet, and that means they can fly around while they shoot you.

Change the animation to "disabled". The ship will still shoot at you, but won't fly around.
    edited April 2015
    dratikus wrote: »
    I just tried it with a Borg Cube inside a planet. The thing I don't like is it still says "Cube" and you can fire back. I made a small video. https://youtu.be/MqmSxmAWrsc

I'll check out your vid - thanks!

No way of renaming the object then?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I'll check out your vid - thanks!

No, you can rename it. Just go into the details and select the lowest-numbered 'actor'. You can also give it another costume.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
    edited April 2015
    No, you can rename it. Just go into the details and select the lowest-numbered 'actor'. You can also give it another costume.

That's what I thought, too - excellent! I'll try this out tonight!

Cheers all!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2015

I figured it out. You have to rename each ship in the squadron. (and yes, another video. ;-) https://youtu.be/IahxcczBvWU )

I was just thinking - I'm using a very low level test character so the Borg squadron is only one ship, but at higher levels this could scale to be multiple ships. So a Borg cube might not be the best ship to use. :)

edit: the problem with making videos - everyone else answers the question before I'm done. ;-)
  • hizenburghizenburg Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Memory Alexandria which is a mission in the review section has a planet set up with invisible walls inside the planets textures, the walls are set up with gaps between each wall, the gaps are to small for ships to go through but big enough for the ship to shoot through, put the gaps where you want the shots to come from, place ships behind the invisible walls. The ships stay inside the planet and attack anything that comes near. and are very tough to hit so they last a long time.
    edited April 2015
    Tried a couple of things last night and couldn't get the desired effect. Either the ships in disabled mode would move when fired upon or, if behind walls, would all die in a single hit.

This is going to take some trial and error, I think...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • hizenburghizenburg Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Are you testing combat on the Holodeck server right ?? combat testing in the editor doesn't work, so you have to publish to test combat
    edited April 2015
    I have recommended to Cryptic that Foundry test should work like this: Publish to Tribble for Alpha testing, Publish to Red Shirt for beta testing, then publish to Holodeck for Production. In the software development world, you never ever publish any product to production for testing purposes.
    edited April 2015
    hizenburg wrote: »
    Are you testing combat on the Holodeck server right ?? combat testing in the editor doesn't work, so you have to publish to test combat

This I did not know... that is.... annoying....
    I have recommended to Cryptic that Foundry test should work like this: Publish to Tribble for Alpha testing, Publish to Red Shirt for beta testing, then publish to Holodeck for Production. In the software development world, you never ever publish any product to production for testing purposes.

Agreed. Open it up to a SELECT FEW for beta testing to ensure it is as glitch free in release as it can be.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • thegreendragoon1thegreendragoon1 Member Posts: 1,872 Arc User
    edited April 2015

I don't think that would be possible. Tribble and Red shirt are completely independent copies of the game, often with different build versions.