test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Which ST would have potentially had the worst 9th season?

nabreekinabreeki Member Posts: 2,657 Arc User
edited April 2015 in Ten Forward
Hey all,

Well, we're just about all out of seasons to talk about, and, for the lack of any other constructive threads, looks like we're going to have to move into pure speculation here. Now, I know no Trek show has made it past season 7, but, had each series extended its run to nine seasons, which one of the ST series would have the worst 9th season?

Hmm...kind of a toss-up for me. I found the cast of TNG fairly unbearable going into the final three seasons of the show, so I'm glad they're gone (and let's not even mention the awful TNG-based films that came afterwards). Voyager never really "took off," in my opinion. Enterprise was a non-starter.

I'm going to have to stick with my guns on this, though, and go ahead and suggest TNG.

What are your thoughts on this?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,361 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    TOS would have had the worst ninth season. Can you imagine how badly NBC would have mismanaged it if they'd had it more than three years?
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    jonsills wrote: »
    TOS would have had the worst ninth season. Can you imagine how badly NBC would have mismanaged it if they'd had it more than three years?

oh dear Cthulhu...

You've got a point, but I have to say Voyager. They were played out for ideas, the cast was either boring, racist, sexist, or just sort of there (with the notable exception of the holodoc), and frankly the show was nothing more than a pale shadow of TNG, and had been since season 2's "Alliances" left no other options but the endless status quo.
  • grylakgrylak Member Posts: 1,594 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Tos. Because there would have been another 5 series of stories to churn through first, and let's face it, though there were some good ones in series 3, it wasn't the best.

Of modern trek, I'd go Voyager. By series 7, they were already conking out.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
  • marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I'd say TNG. They didn't really have anywhere left to go... DS-9 could've dealt with the situation after Sisko's disappearance, and Voy could've dealt with what happened to everyone after their return. ToS and Enterprise wouldn't have it in them to run that long, without winding up like Baywatch...
  • stofskstofsk Member Posts: 1,744 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I say TNG as well. TNG S7 was getting very self-absorbed to the point of ludicrousness. Maybe Voyager if they stuck to the plan of getting home in S7, that leaves two more seasons of faffing about without a premise to keep the show together. DS9 would be very different but I could see a season devoted towards rebuilding after the Dominion War and dealing with the aftershocks.
  • rambowdoubledashrambowdoubledash Member Posts: 298 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    It depends on the nature of how they get their seasons 8 and 9. Are they aware in Season 7 that they're going to be getting 8 and 9, or do they finish Season 7 and then are surprised with contracts and money to push on?

In the case of the former, I think they'd all just kind of meander, mostly, before getting the conclusions that we did. In the case of latter, though...

I can't even begin to guess at what would happen to TOS. I imagine that it would hit some very surprisingly high points simply because of its longevity - you can't have four extra seasons and not produce a single gem. I can't even begin to guess at what effect this would have on the franchise, though.

TNG just sort of meanders. By this point it's a very respected sci-fi TV show. I don't think you'll get any amazing scripts but you probably won't get anything terrible, either. Not really sure what you could do to top "All Good Things...", but it would probably involve the Borg.

DS9 would be the worst of the lot. The Dominion War is over, what are you gonna do, play out the Pah Wraiths for all they're worth? Because they ain't worth jack.

VOY actually has the potential for a really interesting Season 8 - they've gotten back to Earth. Now comes the readjustment season, as the crew of Voyager adjust to being back home, integrating themselves back into the Federation, some of them for essentially the first time like with the Doctor or Seven. It's a nice thought, anyway - but I imagine that the writers on VOY weren't up to the task, and I haven't the slightest clue what Season 9 would be about.

ENT...ENT would be really, really good. Keep in mind that, assuming that Seasons 8 and 9 come as a surprise - that is, the Earth-Romulan War is concluded in Season 7 - ENT is the only series that still has things to do. We now have two seasons to play with the birth of the Federation.
  • quintarisquintaris Member Posts: 816 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Voyager would have had the problem of at least half the crew being arrested for being terrorists. Just because Janeway gave them field commendations doesn't stop the fact that they're Maquis.
    w8xekp.jpg
  • mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Hmm....TNG. Even by season 7 they were running out of ideas. So I REALLY doubt two more seasons would've made much of a difference or otherwise helped in the slightest. Only thing I think could help would've been to have the Ent-D a bit more in-line with DS9 and follow some of what happened in it, like how they had a Maquis episode as well.

Now, I'm gonna presume for the sake of the question asked, that ALL episodes we know of still would've happened no matter what. Like "These are the Voyages" and "All Good Things", and so on.

So, depending on whether it is counted or not, I think that TAS would be a close second. It may not have been that long, but a whole 9 seasons of it? I dunno, I think that it would have started to drag REALLY early on.

TOS...I think might've been more or less as we saw already. Some good, some bad. It would've been filled with 60's camp, and moved onto early 70's silliness. Probably would've gotten more money as time went on, so it wasn't all cardboard boxes and such.

DS9, I think that the 'aftermath' of the Dominion War would've been quite interesting. Sisko would be a Prophet now, the powers of the AQ would be able to look around and say 'it's over'. We'd see most likely the Federation looking at helping the Cardassians to rebuild as well now. I could also see a really good episode involving the Bajorans, perhaps a new Kai or Kira, trying to push to get Bajor to help them as well. I mean, think about how far that would mean they would've come. From hating them viciously, to being willing to help them rebuild, it'd be interesting.

Voyager would be the same way, just for the crew returning after 7 years of being away. Having to catch up on those missed years, reuniting with family, being unsure if they would still end up assigned to the same ship after it was all said and done.

Ent I could easily see having another 2 or 3 very solid seasons on the whole, long as Manny Coto was still kept on board to lead it into further greatness. The Earth-Romulan War would easily be a season by itself. I'd also easily season another season of 'molding' the universe to how we'd see it be in TOS like how season 4 was. Past 2 or 3 more good seasons though, I'm not sure. But I doubt it'd be as terrible as it started off as.
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
    edited April 2015
    Lemme put this in order.

DS9 would be the best. The first few DS9 Relaunch novels were actually pretty good, before Destiny and that odious Typhon Pact business started.

TNG was tapped-out for ideas, but they still had a relatively strong writing staff and the best actors; a segue into DS9 with a parallel perspective on the Dominion War would have been excellent.

TOS would be bogged down in layer after layer of bureaucratic incompetence.

ENT could be OK-ish, but fundamentally you need 1 season for the Romulan War, 1 season for the beginnings of the Federation, and you've got nowhere left to go. Add to that the fact that the characters are flat, the writing was mediocre even with Coto running things smoothly, and the only characters worth anything were Reed and Hoshi, who kept getting screwed over, its ninth season would be traumatic at best.

VOY just had nowhere to go. It was a pale ripoff of TNG, without the getting-home gimmick to sustain the show there's really no point to the whole thing. The XO is a racist caricature, a third of the crew is going to be arrested immediately for being Maquis, Seven's purpose in existence is to wear sexist outfits and be the magic fixit solution to every problem, Harry Kim is just sort of there, Janeway's become more and more inconsistent as time goes by, and fundamentally the writing staff just isn't competent. It was either Ron Moore or Ira Steven Behr who went into the writing room and left after three episodes because it was such a mess, with no care for continuity or otherwise...

I love to rage at ENT because Archer is the only Captain worse than Janeway, and it took all of Voyager's character and writing flaws and took them up to eleven, but Voyager had the singular problem of having just enough potential left un-sh*t on to be sad when they wasted it.

Seeing season 9 of Voyager would just grind in, over and over, that this COULD have been a good show, but wasn't, and instead was just good enough to get renewed that long...

Rather than ENT, which was just blatantly bad and never really recovered fully from its terrible opening.
  • whamhammer1whamhammer1 Member Posts: 2,290 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    worffan101 wrote: »
    Lemme put this in order.

DS9 would be the best. The first few DS9 Relaunch novels were actually pretty good, before Destiny and that odious Typhon Pact business started.

TNG was tapped-out for ideas, but they still had a relatively strong writing staff and the best actors; a segue into DS9 with a parallel perspective on the Dominion War would have been excellent.

TOS would be bogged down in layer after layer of bureaucratic incompetence.

ENT could be OK-ish, but fundamentally you need 1 season for the Romulan War, 1 season for the beginnings of the Federation, and you've got nowhere left to go. Add to that the fact that the characters are flat, the writing was mediocre even with Coto running things smoothly, and the only characters worth anything were Reed and Hoshi, who kept getting screwed over, its ninth season would be traumatic at best.

VOY just had nowhere to go. It was a pale ripoff of TNG, without the getting-home gimmick to sustain the show there's really no point to the whole thing. The XO is a racist caricature, a third of the crew is going to be arrested immediately for being Maquis, Seven's purpose in existence is to wear sexist outfits and be the magic fixit solution to every problem, Harry Kim is just sort of there, Janeway's become more and more inconsistent as time goes by, and fundamentally the writing staff just isn't competent. It was either Ron Moore or Ira Steven Behr who went into the writing room and left after three episodes because it was such a mess, with no care for continuity or otherwise...

I love to rage at ENT because Archer is the only Captain worse than Janeway, and it took all of Voyager's character and writing flaws and took them up to eleven, but Voyager had the singular problem of having just enough potential left un-sh*t on to be sad when they wasted it.

Seeing season 9 of Voyager would just grind in, over and over, that this COULD have been a good show, but wasn't, and instead was just good enough to get renewed that long...

Rather than ENT, which was just blatantly bad and never really recovered fully from its terrible opening.

I can see the setup for this one <grabs popcorn, waits for explosion, to be followed by locked thread>
  • proteusrexproteusrex Member Posts: 62 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    ToS and Enterprise wouldn't have it in them to run that long, without winding up like Baywatch...

That just made me my day...

Next week on Enterprise Nights...
    edited April 2015
    nabreeki wrote: »
    I unironically agree with worffan's post. I don't know what kind of explosion you're expecting.

Just the vibe and wording, especially in the Voyager part, is somewhat inflamatory and destined to spark emotional responses and arguments more than discussion, it's happened far too many times to count.

Someone will disagree on the statement and it will emotionally devolve into some being called racists, bigotted, etc.
    edited April 2015
    nabreeki wrote: »
    I unironically agree with worffan's post. I don't know what kind of explosion you're expecting.

Can't tell if in normal Nabreeki mode or serious...

But if serious, clearly the end times are upon us and I need to buy a reinforced umbrella to protect against the flaming meteors.
    edited April 2015
    valoreah wrote: »
    But that's the posters opinion on the subject which they are allowed to offer here. No reason for it to degrade into name calling. People can disagree without resorting to sharing insults. For the most part, I agree with that post too.

All I am doing is calling it before it happens. We can discuss via PM about it you you wish.
  • cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    All of them would be terrible. That's just my opinion. I find any show that lasts beyond six seasons, no matter how much I enjoyed them , become stale and predictable.