test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Favorite Star Trek uniform?

starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
edited April 2015 in Ten Forward
For me, I'm going to have to pick the Odyssey. Great mix of professionalism (clean lines and so forth) and practicality (has actual pockets, looks easy to move around in, colors subdued enough not to be a good target).
"Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
— Sabaton, "Great War"
VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
Post edited by starswordc on

Comments

• grylakgrylak Member Posts: 1,594 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I'm gonna have to go with the First Contact uniforms for on screen. Let's everyone look like they are in a uniform, with small variences for their department. Followed closely by the TWOK ones for similar reasons.

Though I do love the Odyssey ones. Not so much with the white shoulders for the Captain (I really shouldn't, but it's the uniform code so my Captains have to have it). Where are the pockets? Can't say I've noticed them.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
  • cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    WoK all the way. But in game, Odyssey for sure. Its very professional, looks slightly militaristic and is very appealing to look at.
  • worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Wrath of Khan uniforms because nostalgia, but neck-and-neck with the Odyssey Tactical uniforms.

All Odyssey uniforms are a nice combination of Trek jumpsuit styling and an actual uniform, and the Tactical outfits look rugged and super practical. I'd definitely wear those in the field--and given that that entails kneeling and scrambling over rocks while wearing a floppy hat (mandatory for the profession, according to my professors), that's a compliment.
  • rambowdoubledashrambowdoubledash Member Posts: 298 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Well, in terms of actual canon, the Wrath of Khan era uniforms just take the cake for me. Of all the uniforms we've seen on screen they're the only ones that really look like naval uniforms to me; everything else looks like pajamas or running suits. I understand the intent is to suggest that Starfleet isn't a primarily military organization...but then they gave us those sweet WoK uniforms and I just can't into any other ones anymore.

For similar reasons, I like the Jupiter line of uniforms in STO, particularly Jupiter III, which bears a strong resemblance to the WoK uniform. A version of that but done up with division colors is nice.
  • whamhammer1whamhammer1 Member Posts: 2,290 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Well, in terms of actual canon, the Wrath of Khan era uniforms just take the cake for me. Of all the uniforms we've seen on screen they're the only ones that really look like naval uniforms to me; everything else looks like pajamas or running suits. I understand the intent is to suggest that Starfleet isn't a primarily military organization...but then they gave us those sweet WoK uniforms and I just can't into any other ones anymore.

For similar reasons, I like the Jupiter line of uniforms in STO, particularly Jupiter III, which bears a strong resemblance to the WoK uniform. A version of that but done up with division colors is nice.

I love the WoK too, followed by the last few TNG movies.
  • antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    WoK look very, very snazzy, so jumping on bandwagon. Never figured out how to identify service branch at a distance with them though, is my only complaint.
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    TWOK uniform, and the First contact/DS-9 Dominion war uniform.
  • proteusrexproteusrex Member Posts: 62 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I'm a sucker for the TOS uniforms, probably because of nostalgia. In fact, I really like the JJ-trek take on them. There's something about the 'texture' of those uniforms that appeals to me. Which might sound weird, but I'm very texture sensitive, as it trumps most everything including flavour when it comes to food.

That said, when I first saw the First Contact uniforms, I thought they were awesome.

In game, I like the Odyssey variants, but just can't find a colour scheme that I really enjoy.
  • mhall85mhall85 Member Posts: 2,852 Arc User1
    edited April 2015
    Hmmm....

TWoK uniforms do hit a sweet spot... they look like professional military uniforms.

First Contact-era uniforms (the ones worn in the TNG films and DS9) are also good... love that officer's vest Picard & Sisko wore!

Also, the dress uniforms from Into Darkness are pretty snazzy, IMO.
    d87926bd02aaa4eb12e2bb0fbc1f7061.jpg
  • jstewart55jstewart55 Member Posts: 412 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Seven of Nine's, of course. :P

First Contact; Odyssey; Next Generation; TOS (that order).

Not such a fan of the TWoK; Starfleet isn't a military or a navy, so I don't think that the oufits should lean too far in that direction.
  • ailmereailmere Member Posts: 238 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I'd say the Original Series uniform, both the Wrath of Khan and the regular one. They just seem friendlier.
  • ussackermanussackerman Member Posts: 275 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2015
    Cannon...no question...TWoK

After reading some of the posts, I agree that the "Into Darkness" grey "Dress" uniforms come a strong second.

Personally, though, the Wells class 29th Century uniform is the classiest non-dress uniform.

STO version... Odyssey....Specifically in this order, Dress, Tactical, Duty, Captain... I agree with other posters in that the white shoulders grates on me a bit.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,362 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    proteusrex wrote: »
    In game, I like the Odyssey variants, but just can't find a colour scheme that I really enjoy.
    For most of my crew, I go with the default colors for the body and yoke, departmental color for the stripe, and a silvery (off-white) trim, combadge (using the Odyssey badge), and rank insignia. The CO, of course, gets the white yoke, gold trim, and gold badge, with departmental stripe and dark rank insignia. It looks vaguely military, while still being Trekky enough to suit me. :)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,362 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    WoK look very, very snazzy, so jumping on bandwagon. Never figured out how to identify service branch at a distance with them though, is my only complaint.
    Color of the turtleneck, chest band, and wrist stripe. White is command; green is medical; blue is sciences; yellow is operations; red is support services.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    jonsills wrote: »
    For most of my crew, I go with the default colors for the body and yoke, departmental color for the stripe, and a silvery (off-white) trim, combadge (using the Odyssey badge), and rank insignia. The CO, of course, gets the white yoke, gold trim, and gold badge, with departmental stripe and dark rank insignia. It looks vaguely military, while still being Trekky enough to suit me. :)

Yeah, that sounds like a good look...I generally prefer the TNG combadge because nostalgia, but the uniform itself is damn good.

On the KDF side, I LOVE the Bort uniform. Command officers get a super-cool Honor Guard outfit or battle armor, of course, but the Bort is sharp and professional.

The Honor Guard outfit is an excellent way to make a slim or petite character look more lethal, and to give them some artificial heft; on large or bulky characters, however, it can make 'em look fat.
  • theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,985 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Odyssey for STO, the dress uniforms are great for an admiral uniform keeping the standard colour scheme with gold on the belt buckle, the metallics lines down the top of the chest and along the shoulders with dep colour in the stripe and gold com badge with the gold fleet admiral pips.

Movie wise, gotta love the WOK uniform, very formal and professional looking, the TNG movie and dominion war era uniform is a close 2nd place.

TV wise, I've gotta say the Enterprise uniform, very function over form and I liked the whole flight suit look to it overall
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
      edited April 2015
      Canon I'd say AGT - tunics. I really like the thought of futuristic tunics being worn in service. Also, I like uniforms that don't really look like/resemble uniforms we know today so TNG and FC uniforms also get a above average rating. TWoK uniforms look very good but I agree that they are kinda too military/naval for my taste - then again I love the scene in FC when the senior staff is wearing historic naval attire on the bridge. I'm an odd animal that can't really be pleased I guess :D

A very special place goes to the TOS - The Cage uniforms. I really like the inclusion of field jackets and some away team gear like techno-backpacks, communication devices and such. It's a shame those never made a return.

In-game the Oddyssey and variants look actually very good and the academy uniforms make for a nice "enlisted" look like we see in TWoK and beyond. My headcanon uniform is: AGT tunics for officers and academy for crew, Oddyssey as an optional, more protective field jacket worn above the others :)
      lFC4bt2.gif
      ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
      "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
      "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
      "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
    • rambowdoubledashrambowdoubledash Member Posts: 298 Arc User
      edited April 2015
      Oh, and for non-Starfleet uniforms...probably the DS9-era Romulan ones. They still emphasized the shoulders but no longer did so in the ridiculous way of TNG. I also have to admit that I liked the early Ferengi uniforms seen in "The Last Outpost."

I am not a fan of Klingon uniforms from The Slow-Motion Picture on, though, mostly due to the absurd longevity of it: from TMP straight through to the 25th century Klingons are still wearing the same basic outfits even though that covers something like a hundred and twenty years or so worth of history; the equivalent would be if German military uniforms still looked like their Prussian antecedents.

Which would admittedly actually be kinda' cool. I miss the Pickelhelm.

This is one reason why I like the Bortasqu' uniform update; I just wish that it would be standardized across the KDF the way Odyssey is standardized across Starfleet.

Ooh! And I like the Romulan Republic uniforms, though not their inclusion of Starfleet division colors. They're very snazzy otherwise, though.
    • grylakgrylak Member Posts: 1,594 Arc User
      edited April 2015
      Oh yes, the Romulan Republic costumes are rather nice. And the Romulan uniforms from Nemesis.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
    • sovereign47sovereign47 Member Posts: 399 Arc User
      edited April 2015
      DS9/FC, Insurrection, Nemesis uniform when it comes to Starfleet.

Odyssey uniforms in STO, because they are quite similar to the ones mentioned above.

Cardassian uniforms when it comes to aliens :cool:

For females, other Seven of Nine uniform or Mirror Universe uniforms :D
      FED ENG: FA Sirius Verax (USS Leviathan) , FED TAC (Delta): FA Adria Tyllex (USS Thunderblade) , ROM TAC: ADM Kill'ina (IRW Imperix Thrai) , KLING ENG (Delta): LT. GEN Ghol'Vaq Martok (IKS Qeh'Ral II) - 44th Fleet member
      SZ1RgUL.jpg
      SUPPORTING PLAYABLE CARDASSIAN AND DOMINION FACTIONS!
    • darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
      edited April 2015
      Love the 2410 uniform, though my Admiral isn't stupid enough to put on white shoulders and make himself a target.
    • hfmuddhfmudd Member Posts: 881 Arc User
      edited April 2015
      The Odyssey is a great uniform, and I'm very glad that when Cryptic decided to re-standardize for all NPCs, that's the one they picked. However, I'm pretty sure they didn't come up with it themselves - IIRC, it first appeared in the post-DS9 novels (with the Typhon Pact et al).

For canon, I gotta go with the "monster maroons" of WoK etc. (Honorable mention to Cryptic's Jupiter set, which was very much cut from the same pattern.) The DS9/TNG movie uniform was good too.

I have a sentimental fondness for the TOS uniforms, but let's face it - they were never about practicality as much as selling color TVs.

Silliest/most unfortunate? Hard to pick between the TMP footie pajamas and TNG Romulan oven mitts. And dishonorable mention for the short-sleeve female uniforms of the reboot, which do not have any rank stripes/insignia.
    • spockout1spockout1 Member Posts: 314 Arc User
      edited April 2015
      I, too, have to go for the TWOK uniforms as my favorites. TOS and TNG (S3) with the collars are up there.

I like the Odyssey uniforms okay, particularly the shiny shoes, but I'm not doing the white shoulders (bullseye) of command. There's enough Klingons and other aliens who'd probably like to whack a Starfleet Captain and I've pissed off plenty of them.

I wish we could get some of the ST6 Klingon uniforms in game. That'd be a nice addition.
      "After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing after all as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true. Except for a T5 Connie. That would be f*%#ing awesome." - Mr. Spock
    • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
      edited April 2015
      Enterprise MACO uniform
      Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
      eaY7Xxu.png
    • llywarchllywarch Member Posts: 224 Arc User
      edited April 2015
      I think I'm the only one who misses the old NPC uniform. I liked the Antares 2. Very Modern TOS look.
    • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
      edited April 2015
      STO: Sierra 1, Odyssey
      Canon: First Contact, Enterprise, WoK

Before we got the Odyssey, I preferred the Sierra 1 uniforms because I felt they were the closest to the design style from the 24th Century and was a decent evolution of the style. Most of my Feds use that as their primary uniform.

For Canon uniforms, I really liked the First Contact style. 22nd Century Enterprise uniforms were functional and HAD POCKETS! WoK uniforms were much better than the TMP pajamas.
      db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
      I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
      The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    • organicmanfredorganicmanfred Member Posts: 3,236 Arc User
      edited April 2015
      I gave every crewmember its own uniform. Dyson, Intellifence, Voth, Sierra, and everything between.

Cant stand the TWoK uniform, but that is my own taste.
      The Odyssey uniform is very nice, but for a bit to clean and navy office sided for ship operations. (does no one get dirty?)

I am still waiting for my Skant..
    • organicmanfredorganicmanfred Member Posts: 3,236 Arc User
      edited April 2015
      grylak wrote: »

Though I do love the Odyssey ones. Not so much with the white shoulders for the Captain (I really shouldn't, but it's the uniform code so my Captains have to have it). Where are the pockets? Can't say I've noticed them.

Go to your Fleet Starbase Tailor (not the ESD Tailor) and buy the Odyssey Uniform variants.
      The one you are looking for is the Odyssey .. ahm Excavation? Extraction? Exorcism? something like this - variant.