test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Dear Devs, can we haz oldschool shard?

Comments

• driveclubfandriveclubfan Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    ^^^
    Different genre entirely as none of the above are MMOs; and if you REALLY want to argue 'most played games' Candy Crush and Farmville as hardly PvP only <--- and while they certainly aren't streamed; they are games people play.

Then Driveclub is the apotheosis of multiplayer interaction as it has bits of multiplayer even when you're playing in single player. #logic.

Every game nowadays must have a solid multiplayer compartment, it's content that creates itself. You make the fundamentals for people to play with, and you let it run indefinitely.
  • rosetyler51rosetyler51 Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    dgdolph wrote: »
    To me, that's the only reason for a "rebirth shard" and it's reason enough to me. I'd prefer a solution on holodeck cuz I'd love to keep the characters I played for many years. But I also believe that this is not possible any more. This game has gotten to far to restore pvp.

Seperating both, PvP and PvE, is also the perfect solution that should in fact make both sides happy. Whatever balance fix is applied, it won't effect the other side. All those people in here that hate PvP and it's players should be the first in line to call for a seperation.

Setting up a seperated PvP shard is just the easiest way to reach the goal. But if cryptic refuses to do this, I doubt any other solution is beeing made in the future...

I disagree. The devs are working toward balance. Not at your speed or your way but they are trying. Also a launch STO pretty much kills PvP for me because the characters I care for would not be there.

Also the stories about how the changes from launch STO drove players away. I have stories about how launch STO did the same.

Rebirth =/= PvP shard

Trek is about moving forward and adapting to brave new worlds. Come on and Kirk up
  • rimmarierimmarie Member Posts: 418 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    To me, that's the only reason for a "rebirth shard" and it's reason enough to me. I'd prefer a solution on holodeck cuz I'd love to keep the characters I played for many years. But I also believe that this is not possible any more. This game has gotten to far to restore pvp.

Seperating both, PvP and PvE, is also the perfect solution that should in fact make both sides happy. Whatever balance fix is applied, it won't effect the other side. All those people in here that hate PvP and it's players should be the first in line to call for a seperation.

Setting up a seperated PvP shard is just the easiest way to reach the goal. But if cryptic refuses to do this, I doubt any other solution is beeing made in the future...

There is NO NEED for a whole server for PvP
    its been suggested before...just make PvP use only Vanilla ships and gear.

when you sign up for PvP, you can only select qualifying ships and gear.

they could even make a whole story around it involving the Zakdorn and wargame simulations like in the TNG episode 'Peak Performance'
  • bobs1111bobs1111 Member Posts: 471 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    starkaos wrote: »
    Good and balanced PvP only keeps PvPers playing the game for longer and might bring in a few other PvPers. It does not almost guarantee for a successful game. Other things are required like Good PvE content, roleplaying opportunities, etc to make a successful game with good and balanced PvP and even then the game is successful without PvP due to the other components of the game. If Cryptic finally put STO PvP out of its misery, then it would be still as successful as it currently is since the PvEers vastly outnumber the PvPers in this game.

Great and balanced PvP on the other hand guarantees a successful game and games can be made with just PvPers and no carebears.

This is not true. Good PvP games don't need any PvE at all.

As for the game being as successful as it is now with out PvP. Your right there is NO PvP in sto right now. They did kill it my friend. All the hardcore PvP players are gone. A few of us MMO loving PvP players... still log in cause there is this odd combo of Loving trek and wanting to see how much worse Cryptic can make it that drives us to not /uninstall.

You have a point though in terms of theme park game. Cryptic with STO (and NW after) have tried to make theme park games like WOW TOR LOTRO ect... where they can have it all PVP / PVE / Elite Raid style PvE/ RP you name it they want to do it all. The issue is they have it all bleed together. In EVERY other Theme park mmo you can name the developers have done SOMETHING to try and make all those very different mechanics work in the same game.

Here are some examples;
    - For High end PvE raid style stuff... more then a few TP MMO devs add High end PvE specs to gear. This keeps lower geared people out of the very hard end game content. (Cryptic doesn't do this and you have thread after thread about new players driving people crazy in advanced and Elite ques) I'm not saying that is the best solution... my only point is all the other Theme park developers have some plan to make Elite content coexist with out major issues.

- For PvP there is multiple solutions... most don't work well some do... the point is however EVERY OTHER TP MMO developer sees the issue and tries something. PvP stats are common. PvP ranking systems are common... and in some cases like Anet and GW they completely split PvP mechanics off.

There are more examples of what GOOD TP MMO companies do to try and make the game enjoyable for as many people as possible. However its clear Cryptic doesn't have a solid plan to make everyone happy... it seems its more their plan to keep us all arguing and hating each other.

Really why the hate for people that love PVP... or PvE.. or RP. I don't care if you want to dress up like a tribble and buy each other comet cocktails all night long... and I don't care if you want to run the same 3 or 4 STFs 20 times a night, or replay the same missions for the 20th time in 5 years. Who cares if all some of us want to do is shoot each other in the face and smack talk in chat. Whatever makes you happy.

Cryptic needs to do a better job of allowing all of those different gaming styles to coexist in there game. They choose to make a Theme Park game... which means they need to make sure the ropes between the rides exist. No PvP player is expecting STO to become EvE... that isn't a Theme park game. They are clear its a PvP game and if you don't want to get shot you should just go away. (not part of my point... however for everyone saying PvP sucks and doesn't sell... understand that at this point EvE is 2x older and has 4x the player base and it isn't even F2P) However if they want to be on par in quality if not quantity with other Theme parks like RIFT / TOR / EQ / WOW ect ect then they need to get on a plan to make the entire park usable.
  • ilhanskilhansk Member Posts: 620 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Although the level of nuttiness in this thread remains quite high, I admit I was hoping for more.

Too bad haha :p

On topic:

Who with a sane mind was fearing a complete holodeck reset anyway lol. At this point, is it really an incomprehensible or noncredible request to load a better balanced previous game build onto a test shard? It's not like the test shards are being used for proper testing anyway (feedback -> null/dev). We wouldn't even ask for any "advanced" support. Just that you guys don't pull the plug. And even if you required one of the test shards for something else out of a sudden, not much harm would happen, since in some previous builds it was rather easy to level up a toon anyway.

PvP in Star Trek Online has not only jumped the shark. The shark has been hunted down and culled to process its fins into pink little pony dolls for little toddlers to play.

Sneaking into your daughters room to steal her dolls to secretly dress them doesn't cut it for you any longer? Then Star Trek Online is just right for you!

When people are less interested in basic balancing, when I see people being more upset about the lack of sunglass choices, or scarfs, or that their gorn character looks fat in that new bikini outfit... can that really be your vision for this game, Cryptic?

At this point, it's more likely that Belgium colonizes the moon within the next 2 years than for Cryptic to fix and revitalize PvP on a post Delta-Rising server build. Cryptic couldn't have handled PvP much worse. Not only have they destroyed the PvP community, I am convinced that is has also hurt their bottom line. Oh well, who wants to become rich anyway, eh? :p

Other gaming companies managed to create and maintain decent PvP. Why did Cryptic fail on that?
    Visit the Inner Circle YouTube Channel to watch some STO pew pew PVP action!

• lomax6996lomax6996 Member Posts: 512 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    What I would rather have are shards by version... a ST:TOS shard, ST:TNG shard, etc... each based on the iconic series in question... THAT would be grand (you'd find me on the TOS shard, always...)
    *STO* It’s mission: To destroy strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations... and then kill them, to boldly annihilate what no one has annihilated before!
  • trillbuffettrillbuffet Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Funny part is the oldschool shard is more attractive to me than what we have right now especially since I am a fan of bird of prey ships but yet the old school shard is where they perform better which is really really sad.
  • aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    rimmarie wrote: »

Pretty much this , except I'd simplify it even more and have ships with fixed gear to avoid any shenanigans and to make it easy for the newbies who are still clueless about ship building ... -- as a successful PVP revamp would be based not on what the current PVP crowd would want but on pulling in the mainstream of the STO players .

The variety would come from which class you choose to play with (at first) and down the road certain upgrades or new ships could be used to freshen up things from time to time .
    they could even make a whole story around it involving the Zakdorn and wargame simulations like in the TNG episode 'Peak Performance'

That sounds interesting .
    I personally am still hopeful for the old STF'S and their reintroduction as some form of historical archive , along with other missions that were / will be pulled from STO .

... I'd call that a pipe dream ... , had I not gotten Rebirth shoved in my face only to find it unloadable and then quickly snatched away ...
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,102 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    rimmarie wrote: »

The issue with the above is: It makes PWE no money. And something that doesn't have a good ROI they aren't going to do. The gear/shop/power creep treadmill exists so that those who don't want to/have the time to grind, spend real money on micro transactions. If you lock in a system that just uses basic gear, you create a closed system that's easily gotten through no real MT - and thus is just (in their eyes) a drain on server resources. That's why they'll never do something in that vein for PvP.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • puttenhamputtenham Member Posts: 1,052 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    tacofangs wrote: »
    Uh, no. It's not NEARLY that easy to put these things together.

This was actually a ton of work to get this old build functioning on our servers. And even then, we had to disable chat and a bunch of other stuff.

There's no way we'd dedicate server space full time to an old build, let alone support it in anyway.

It was a fun gag for a day or two, but that's about all we could reasonably do.

Sorry. . . :/

Actually, it's "Engineering."

so your telling me that dev time (a ton by what you say) was spent to make an april fools joke, only to be around for one day, instead of bug fixing???

in your own words a few posts from now... "whaaa?" good god man, everytime cryptic does something, I lose more confidence in this game every recuperating back to being fun, intelligent (yes intelligent, play the opening for delta recruit, all the temporal officers talk about stuff and things is quite annoying and kind of childish. I honestly thought a ten year old wrote that script, and further more, there is a metric ton of grammatical errors in the tutorial. ) and well put together. not to mention, a "ton" of work was put into making a joke that no one really found all that funny.. cause the sad part is, most people would have welcomed the abomination that is sto after free to play hit to go away lol.. (im not one, as I don't care, I don't really play anymore so whatevs...)

taco, since I like you, I will say, run while you can brother.. get a better job before having cryptic on your resume looks worse than it already is man...
  • eldarion79eldarion79 Member Posts: 1,679 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    puttenham wrote: »
    so your telling me that dev time (a ton by what you say) was spent to make an april fools joke, only to be around for one day, instead of bug fixing???

in your own words a few posts from now... "whaaa?" good god man, everytime cryptic does something, I lose more confidence in this game every recuperating back to being fun, intelligent (yes intelligent, play the opening for delta recruit, all the temporal officers talk about stuff and things is quite annoying and kind of childish. I honestly thought a ten year old wrote that script, and further more, there is a metric ton of grammatical errors in the tutorial. ) and well put together. not to mention, a "ton" of work was put into making a joke that no one really found all that funny.. cause the sad part is, most people would have welcomed the abomination that is sto after free to play hit to go away lol.. (im not one, as I don't care, I don't really play anymore so whatevs...)

taco, since I like you, I will say, run while you can brother.. get a better job before having cryptic on your resume looks worse than it already is man...

Why don't you do something constructive like pee in their Wheaties and not the play the game if something meant to be fun is so offensive to you. In fact, why don't you just close out your forum account too because we already have enough cryptic sucks, but i play the game just to show them hypocrites.
  • puttenhamputtenham Member Posts: 1,052 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    eldarion79 wrote: »
    Why don't you do something constructive like pee in their Wheaties and not the play the game if something meant to be fun is so offensive to you. In fact, why don't you just close out your forum account too because we already have enough cryptic sucks, but i play the game just to show them hypocrites.

awesome, im glad you still play the game and are on the smaller portion of gamers that actually like it.. seriously cudos.. to each his own, some people like snuff films some don't.. its all about taste...

I never said it was offensive.. that's kind of a strong word, meant to elicite reaction from spectators.. however, I do not think that cryptic has made all the best business decisions as of the last few years.. not saying that a joke cant be made or isn't funny. simply saying that this shard was gonna exist would have been enough, and not taken any real dev time in a game that is hemoraging players as we speak. taking the time to really make this elaborate is kind of like being in a sinking ship, but deciding that everyone should take a nap instead of bailing the ship out.

and as far as im concerned, there are two types of complainers, those who complain because they want the game to be better (me), and actually give constructive critisizm.. I could just say cryptic sucks.... the end.. or I can say, I don't like this because of x, y , and z... and then say what I would do, thus, giving constructive critisizm..

and those who flame and cause trouble.. (you) as there was literally nothing constructive about your post.. your whole response to me was made to tray and elicite a reaction from me, a reaction that might result in moderation, are the start of a much larger forum war..

sorry to not hop on bored your plan...

p.s. I do not regularly play.. I used to be that guy who kept saying the next release is gonna fix things.. I finally gave up looking stupid, cause I definatly had egg on my face lol.. I used to fight the peeps who see the game for what it really is, only wanting to see the game in my own rose colored view.. I now log in here and there, mostly to talk to the few friends I made in game that actually still play the game, and to check out and see if cryptic has come to their senses yet.. even after being scorn by this game, I still hold out some hope..

please refrain from sounding like an 11 year old and respond to peeps like an adult. it gets you much farther and gets your points taken a little more seriously.. cosmic and I have had some pretty epic debates, but they always stayed mostly adult and coherent, while I do not agree with 90 percent of what that man has to say, I still respect him, and I do listen to what he has to say...

and remember, we are all alowd to have our own opinions.. respect others opinions as you would want yours respected.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    puttenham wrote: »
    I never said it was offensive.. that's kind of a strong word, meant to elicite reaction from spectators.. however, I do not think that cryptic has made all the best business decisions as of the last few years.. not saying that a joke cant be made or isn't funny. simply saying that this shard was gonna exist would have been enough, and not taken any real dev time in a game that is hemoraging players as we speak. taking the time to really make this elaborate is kind of like being in a sinking ship, but deciding that everyone should take a nap instead of bailing the ship out.

and as far as im concerned, there are two types of complainers, those who complain because they want the game to be better (me), and actually give constructive critisizm.. I could just say cryptic sucks.... the end.. or I can say, I don't like this because of x, y , and z... and then say what I would do, thus, giving constructive critisizm..

and those who flame and cause trouble.. (you) as there was literally nothing constructive about your post.. your whole response to me was made to tray and elicite a reaction from me, a reaction that might result in moderation, are the start of a much larger forum war..

sorry to not hop on bored your plan...

So constructive criticism is for Tacofangs to find a new job ASAP? Doing that can give mixed messages to future employers. Either they don't stick with it when the job gets tough which is cowardly and not something that an employer wants to see or they have the insight to see that the company will not provide them what they need in a job. Besides, Tacofangs will be evaluated on he did at Cryptic not what greedy business decisions that some executive did. So if he stays on for longer, then that will show loyalty to any future company that he might gain employment. After all, it is up to Tacofangs to determine how long he wants to stay at Cryptic for. Cryptic would be much better if there were more interactive devs like him. It seems like he interacts more with the forums than the community managers.

Although the oldschool shard was up for too short of a time and hopefully it will be added to Redshirt after the Delta Recruitment Event is over and Season 10 has launched. After all, Redshirt is only up for a few months each year when Tribble is testing new Seasons and Expansions. So Redshirt can be used for a few days to show the oldschool shard before Redshirt is put to sleep until Season 11 shows up on Tribble.
  • dgdolphdgdolph Member Posts: 592 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    starkaos wrote: »
    Although the oldschool shard was up for too short of a time and hopefully it will be added to Redshirt after the Delta Recruitment Event is over and Season 10 has launched. After all, Redshirt is only up for a few months each year when Tribble is testing new Seasons and Expansions. So Redshirt can be used for a few days to show the oldschool shard before Redshirt is put to sleep until Season 11 shows up on Tribble.

While this would be awesome, I bet they are in fear of losing to many players to that.
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I just cant see it happening it just doesn't sound like a money spinner to me and anything that doesn't make money wont see the light of day.
    Well, they could reset the Rebirth server on Tuesdays and give everyone something to do when holodeck has the unexpectedly extended maintenance periods. And wouldn't really require any dev time, just set it up and let it run, no updates.

Oh and to monetize it, make it available to subs only.

not enough players willing to pay a sub even to benefit to play this it in extended maintenance periods.
    there wasn't enough players willing to pay the sub when it was full time and pay to play, that's why they had to go ftp or die.
    and if its only for players who are likely paying already very little extra money will be made, certainly not enough to make this financially viable.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

edited April 2015
    That snuff flim line was class af

On topic. I have two questions.

First one. If there is one common thing agreed here on the forums it is launch Science was top dog so where does this talk of "Rebirth is the best for PvP" come from?

Second one. If Launch STO was the best game ever and players loved it™ why did it go free to play and why do just about all my friends talk about they hit the level cap two weeks after launch and stopped playing for a while?
    edited April 2015
    I have two questions.

First one. If there is one common thing agreed here on the forums it is launch Science was top dog so where does this talk of "Rebirth is the best for PvP" come from?

Sci being top dog is a POV .
    Fear not, as the quote below shows, it was a rapidly changing POV... , that changed as the updates came along ... :
    bobs1111 wrote: »
    Don't be crazy folks. A 1.0 build would be a terrible PvP server... unless you like perma jams and VM chains. A 1.1 Server just as bad unless you idea of fun is hull tanking cruisers that can't die. A 1.2 server yes oh ge wiz lets have some fun with 400% CSV... 1.3 Yes please can I have a -600 Debuffing Delta 3 back.... 1.4 Yes lets FAW boat it up to drive each other mad... 1.5 Sure 5 man sci teams with CPB and Tachyon beam combos that make you grab your ankles every 20s... 1.6 Back to FAW boats online. And of course I think Voldy and Double shields was introed at first in 1.2 and it would be in every build since.

Is it extremely funny that there April fools day gag back fired as it did... I bet they didn't really expect people to say "I hope this isn't a joke".

So ... , let's pretend that there are two facts out there:

1. If Cryptic would do a Rebirth shard, the PVP in it might need some fine tooning .
    2. Despite the quote above about some issues , many ppl actually had fun playing PVP in the first 2 years of STO .

The mistake of those who want Rebirth only for PVP , is that they think that that alone would sustaine a Shard .
    As the popularity of the Borg STF's have proved (5 years and counting) , the addition of the STF's in their original form would bring in more ppl, and more ppl = a successful Shard .

... even if just like PVP, those old STF's may need some polish & tuning ...
  • eristhevortaeristhevorta Member Posts: 1,049 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2015
    I would like to play the ground portion of the Starbase 24 fleet action again, as well as the DS9 fleet action ... especially the space bit. :)
    "Everything about the Jham'Hadar is lethal!" - Eris
    Original Join Date: January 30th, 2010
  • dgdolphdgdolph Member Posts: 592 Arc User
    edited April 2015

Second one. If Launch STO was the best game ever and players loved it™ why did it go free to play and why do just about all my friends talk about they hit the level cap two weeks after launch and stopped playing for a while?

Tbh, I don't think lauch PvP is the best. However, it was at least playable - now it's not. I'd prefer anything from V1.3 until Season 5 or something.
    edited April 2015

I don't think anyone said launch PvP was the best game ever made. It however hooked a lot of players, and made them think. Damn with some tweaking, perhaps a few patches down the road this is going to be one of the best PvP games out there.

They talked about all sorts of cool things... and plans for some great PvP. Game types, maps, more open PvP.... yes it was all Promised. Then nothing for 2 or 3 years... they gave us a Private que option and deleted a couple game modes... some people where annoyed, some left... still they promised PvP would get its due. At one point it was even teased that a complete PvP overhaul was up and running on Cryptics internal server... its coming any day now, that was 3 years ago. lmao

Oh and as for Sci being top dog... clearly you haven't done to much higher end PvP. Sci is and always will be the king of the pug pile. When it comes to higher end games... yes its true at every single point in the game every team has always had more Sci then anything else. Because there more useful then anything else to the team... however you still need spike DPS and against most teams you still need a healer. Think of Higher end STO PvP as a team sport. 5 players on a team You need a goalie, but you don't need two. (Sci or Engi Heals) You need a flashy wing/striker (tac) whatever you want to call your sniper goal scorer... still you don't need more then one or two at most. Everyone else on the team is a play maker (sci)... its there job to muster back on defense and watch for opportunities to pass it up the ice so the snipers can score some goals.

For 5 years the best STO PVP teams have all pretty much been Engi/Tac x 2/Sci x 2... or Tac x 2 / Sci x 3... with a few teams that have tried to do Tac 1 / Sci x 4..honestly though the super sci heavy teams have been weaker accept for the odd point here and there when some sci skills have been OP/broken/ or just badly designed. In every single patch cycle I can think of over the last 5 years though easiest team to make work has always been 1 heal 2 sci 2 tac
    edited April 2015
    aelfwin1 wrote: »
    Sci being top dog is a POV .
    Fear not, as the quote below shows, it was a rapidly changing POV... , that changed as the updates came along ... :

So ... , let's pretend that there are two facts out there:

1. If Cryptic would do a Rebirth shard, the PVP in it might need some fine tooning .
    2. Despite the quote above about some issues , many ppl actually had fun playing PVP in the first 2 years of STO .

The mistake of those who want Rebirth only for PVP , is that they think that that alone would sustaine a Shard .
    As the popularity of the Borg STF's have proved (5 years and counting) , the addition of the STF's in their original form would bring in more ppl, and more ppl = a successful Shard .

... even if just like PVP, those old STF's may need some polish & tuning ...
    Tbh, I don't think lauch PvP is the best. However, it was at least playable - now it's not. I'd prefer anything from V1.3 until Season 5 or something.

Hmm. So between you two it looks like you don't want STO Rebirth. And here I thought it was the best thing ever and players love it™

Also let me guess. They should take time out of working on season 10 and bugfixing for holodeck in order to give "Rebirth Plus" a chat server too (which Rebirth did not have).

Anything else you want? Free EC and Omega gear for "better and more fair" pvp?
    edited April 2015
    Hmm. So between you two it looks like you don't want STO Rebirth. And here I thought it was the best thing ever and players love it™

Also let me guess. They should take time out of working on season 10 and bugfixing for holodeck in order to give "Rebirth Plus" a chat server too (which Rebirth did not have).

Anything else you want? Free EC and Omega gear for "better and more fair" pvp?

You know what we really want. We want them to make the NPCs harder... and for them to finally delete the worst skill in the entire MMO world FAW. Its an abomination and was a terrible idea 5 years ago and every day since. This games PvE is a complete joke... which is why this game can't hold the attention of people that are not simple, or badly addicted gamblers. :) A proper base to PvP on the live server would be nice.

No a second server is a terrible idea... however Previous PRE DR STO had a pretty strong following of PVP folks. PRE Rep insanity those numbers where even higher... Pre Romulans higher still.... Pre F2P perhaps not more then after F2P to be honest a lot of great people joined the game around then... in terms of PvP though I think almost as many left around that time as well, numbers wise it was a wash imo.

Your typing back and forth with people that still care enough to bother typing about it. Don't worry we are all well aware that Cryptic won't ever do anything... so don't worry yourself about it. Don't worry Cryptic is going to keep on keeping on in the exact same manner they have for the last 5 years, until CBS pulls the plug.
    edited April 2015
    You know what we really want. We want them to make the NPCs harder... and for them to finally delete the worst skill in the entire MMO world FAW. Its an abomination and was a terrible idea 5 years ago and every day since. This games PvE is a complete joke... which is why this game can't hold the attention of people that are not simple, or badly addicted gamblers. :) A proper base to PvP on the live server would be nice.

No a second server is a terrible idea... however Previous PRE DR STO had a pretty strong following of PVP folks. PRE Rep insanity those numbers where even higher... Pre Romulans higher still.... Pre F2P perhaps not more then after F2P to be honest a lot of great people joined the game around then... in terms of PvP though I think almost as many left around that time as well, numbers wise it was a wash imo.

Your typing back and forth with people that still care enough to bother typing about it. Don't worry we are all well aware that Cryptic won't ever do anything... so don't worry yourself about it. Don't worry Cryptic is going to keep on keeping on in the exact same manner they have for the last 5 years, until CBS pulls the plug.

The near countless threads about post-Delta Rising NPCs makes it sounds like they are harder.

You have never played Dungeons and Dragons Online have you? A Wizard would be able to beat a FaW spamming cruiser.

PvE is a joke? To who? You and your friends? I think others would disagree.

Name calling? Classy.

A proper base for PvP on holodeck would be and I'm sure the devs are working on it. Not at the speed that some might wish but with the changes to things like double tap and SS I see they are trying.

Thank you for agreeing that a Rebirth server is a terrible idea.

I remember seeing a chart that covered leaderboard matches and it did somewhat match your story but I also remember hearing about PvPers would quit matches in order to keep their win/lost record good. So I would not put any real trust into said chart or your story which was only backed up by said chart.

Acting in the same manner? But I thought Cryptic was ok with you and your friends up to season 5? Are you saying they never really cared about PvP and was pushing p2w items and the like?
    edited April 2015
    The near countless threads about post-Delta Rising NPCs makes it sounds like they are harder.

A proper base for PvP on holodeck would be and I'm sure the devs are working on it. Not at the speed that some might wish but with the changes to things like double tap and SS I see they are trying.

I remember seeing a chart that covered leaderboard matches and it did somewhat match your story but I also remember hearing about PvPers would quit matches in order to keep their win/lost record good. So I would not put any real trust into said chart or your story which was only backed up by said chart.

Acting in the same manner? But I thought Cryptic was ok with you and your friends up to season 5? Are you saying they never really cared about PvP and was pushing p2w items and the like?

- More Hit points does not = harder... just longer. Yes some people can't stand being told they lost... and like to kick up dust over fail conditions. For Cryptic to make them in fact harder they would have to do work... and not just mulitply database tables... Spawn=16 hull=800,000 is not really making things harder. That would have involved work... allowing them to do things like change power levels perhaps have more then one energy weapon slotted, giving them skill rotations that aren't 1,2,3,2,1 ect People would really kick up the dust if all of a sudden NPCs started Subnuking them at the worst possible times, scanning them, using heals ect.

- They are not working on PvP my friend that is the point. If you are convinced they are in fact ever planning to work on PvP considering they have yet to do so in 5 years (no fixing skills that are broken in all areas of the game have nothing to do with pvp... nor does "Correcting"/nerfing skills that where intentionally Over powered to sell ships). Anyway if you are still convinced I would ask you to please find my kickstarter and support my upcoming fantastic PvP/PVE/RP/Rp-PvP game Bridge Simulator The MMO™.

As for leaderboard thowing... can't say I ever saw anyone do that myself. Regardless Mancom Counted plenty of partial matches, it only takes one person in the match to be running his log watch app doesn't have to be you... so warping at 12 kills doesn't save your leader board if your opponent was running the app as well. Regardless no one that PvPs needs the leader board to tell us that everyone we would Play with and against have left.

About the first year or so of the game your right... everyone cut them a lot more slack back then. Cause you know the game was new... and they made changes and even claimed to be listening at times. Its very much like a politicians first term, at this point 5 years in there 1 year past there recall date.
    edited April 2015
    Hmm. So between you two it looks like you don't want STO Rebirth.

There are many issues surrounding this topic , not the least of which was the admission by Zero (Zeronious Rex, a Dev) that Rebirth was a problematic and unstable build that the Devs themselves didn't know how long it would function .
    (and in fact it didn't function for many as many players couldn't log into it after they updated their Redshirt files)

So ... , having said that, it's obvious that any considerations of a future / semi-permanent Rebirth would have to consider / deal with that issue first .

... as for me, any build that is prior to the Bug ship that has PVP and the original STF's is acceptable . ... , even if it's a pay-per-use build ...
    edited April 2015
    - More Hit points does not = harder... just longer. Yes some people can't stand being told they lost... and like to kick up dust over fail conditions. For Cryptic to make them in fact harder they would have to do work... and not just mulitply database tables... Spawn=16 hull=800,000 is not really making things harder. That would have involved work... allowing them to do things like change power levels perhaps have more then one energy weapon slotted, giving them skill rotations that aren't 1,2,3,2,1 ect People would really kick up the dust if all of a sudden NPCs started Subnuking them at the worst possible times, scanning them, using heals ect.

- They are not working on PvP my friend that is the point. If you are convinced they are in fact ever planning to work on PvP considering they have yet to do so in 5 years (no fixing skills that are broken in all areas of the game have nothing to do with pvp... nor does "Correcting"/nerfing skills that where intentionally Over powered to sell ships). Anyway if you are still convinced I would ask you to please find my kickstarter and support my upcoming fantastic PvP/PVE/RP/Rp-PvP game Bridge Simulator The MMO™.

As for leaderboard thowing... can't say I ever saw anyone do that myself. Regardless Mancom Counted plenty of partial matches, it only takes one person in the match to be running his log watch app doesn't have to be you... so warping at 12 kills doesn't save your leader board if your opponent was running the app as well. Regardless no one that PvPs needs the leader board to tell us that everyone we would Play with and against have left.

About the first year or so of the game your right... everyone cut them a lot more slack back then. Cause you know the game was new... and they made changes and even claimed to be listening at times. Its very much like a politicians first term, at this point 5 years in there 1 year past there recall date.

That is what you think. Also NPCs do heal and use more that one energy weapon. Maybe if you stepped out into more PvE content you would see it. Also what do we really know of NPC's power levels? Lastly do you know of any MMOs that have the kind of AI you are looking for because no one plays STO anymore :D and I need something new to play. The closest that came to it was EvE and burner missions but they nerf the player into smaller ships in order to make it a fair fight and that is boring.

Do you remember cryo damage? It was pretty hard for find resist for it so bring a cryo weapon into ground PvP was the "meta" for a time. Guess what Cryptic did? Lowered cryo damage and effect against players while keeping it normal for NPCs. :eek: I'm guessing that does not working on PvP hm?

Did not know this leaderboard thing was some 3rd app. That pretty much makes its data worthless. What about players who did private matches, or did not even know about the app, or who thought it was malware did not get it? Pretty much your data that says "pvp is dead" comes a smaller sub-group within already small sub-group.

I did not cut them any slack and most people of that left after two weeks did not either. Pretty sure they lost players that have never gotten back during the "year of hell" as well.
  • ilhanskilhansk Member Posts: 620 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    aelfwin1 wrote: »
    The mistake of those who want Rebirth only for PVP , is that they think that that alone would sustaine a Shard
    The current test shards are not directly generating revenue either, yet they exist. Replacing one of the shards with an old school PvP server could unlock back already lost revenue streams. At least in theory.
    Second one. If Launch STO was the best game ever and players loved it
    No PvP'er would describe the initial launch 1.0 build as the most fun or balanced PvP environment to play. However, between february 2010 and now, we had prolonged phases where PvP was less riddled with bugs and imbalances, supporting a better solid PvP experience than compared to its present condition.

Their ability to bring back a specific bygone game version, suggests there is no inherent technical impossibilty for bringing back any other version.
    PvE is a joke? To who? You and your friends? I think others would disagree.
    PvE is about as challenging as stealing candy from a baby. If Star Trek Onlines current PvE is pushing your skills, then we have less common ground than I previously thought.

You can find challenge in PvE if you set yourself some artificial benchmarks you wanna meet, like speedruns and such.
    A proper base for PvP on holodeck would be and I'm sure the devs are working on it.
    I could understand if a 3-year old believes in Santa Claus. Not so much if a 30-year old still does.
    Your lack of personal hands-on experience fuels your ignorance in these matters. Hilberts graph is not part of an evil conspiracy. To suggest that player logouts may be responsible for the curves shape is laughable.
    Also NPCs do heal and use more that one energy weapon. Maybe if you stepped out into more PvE content you would see it.
    I am trembling with fear before the awesome might of a borg sphere. :rolleyes:
    Did not know this leaderboard thing was some 3rd app. That pretty much makes its data worthless. What about players who did private matches, or did not even know about the app, or who thought it was malware did not get it?
    lol, your ignorance is mind-boggling. You don't know anything, yet you think you do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvVPdyYeaQU

:D
    Visit the Inner Circle YouTube Channel to watch some STO pew pew PVP action!

• starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    While this would be awesome, I bet they are in fear of losing to many players to that.

Why would they fear losing players to the Rebirth shard? It would only be up for a few days and players would likely only spend a few hours on in it at the most. My only goal with it is to see the old ESD, tutorial, and sector space. There are very few people that would go through the annoying grind to level 45. The old XP gain is not like the new XP gain where you can get a new character to level 60 by just doing the main episodes. I remember having to do one mission, one patrol mission, and a few exploration missions to get enough XP to get to the next level.
  • bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    ilhansk wrote: »
    Their ability to bring back a specific bygone game version, suggests there is no inherent technical impossibilty for bringing back any other version.

Perhaps, but that doesn't mean it's playable or maintainable.

Tacofangs posted in another thread on the topic that what they did on Redshirt was basically a snapshot of the build at a particular point in time.

My guess is that they do not have the ability to actually fork the code and revert it back that far, which means the build is likely unmaintainable. If that's the case, they'd have to reverse engineer it just to turn it into something they could do bug fixes on.

I'm guessing there's also a limitation on what builds they could actually "bring back". Major releases probably have snapshots. They probably maintain snapshots for recent maintenance releases, but probably not older than the last couple of major releases.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
    edited April 2015
    ilhansk wrote: »
    The current test shards are not directly generating revenue either, yet they exist. Replacing on the shards with an old school PvP server could unlock back already lost revenue streams at least in theory.

No PvP'er would describe the initial launch 1.0 build as the most fun or balanced PvP environment to play. However, between february 2010 and now, we had prolonged phases where PvP was less riddled with bugs and inbalances, supporting a better solid PvP experience than in its present condition.

PvE is about as challenging as to steal candy from a baby. If Star Trek Onlines current PvE is pushing your skills, then we have less common ground than I previously thought.

You can find challenge in PvE if you set yourself some artificial benchmarks you wanna meet, like speedruns and such.

I could understand if a 3-year old believes in Santa Claus. Not so much for 30-year olds.

Your lack of personal hands-on experience fuels your ignorance in these matters. Hilberts graph is not part of an evil conspiracy. To suggest that player logouts may be responsible for the curves shape is laughable.

I am trembling with fear before the awesome might of a borg sphere. :rolleyes:

lol, your ignorance is mind-boggling. You don't know anything, yet you think you do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvVPdyYeaQU

:D

YAY more name calling. Showing off PvP classiness that makes everyone want to listen to what you have to say.

You are right and the current test shards are not directly generating revenue but they are not bleeding money like before f2p STO was either.

Also have you heard Tacofangs talk about Rebirth. Please, go do that...

When I want to believe in Cryptic is trying to balance stuff for...

While I was typing this a funny thought came into my head.

Taris wants the Iconians to go back in time in order to save what she lost.
    Some players want the Devs to go back in time in order save what they lost.
    The Iconians and the Devs both can't.

Cryptic's writing 10outoften!

Live for the present or learn to avoid high places without any railings