test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Personality types on Ten Forward?

proteusrexproteusrex Member Posts: 62 Arc User
edited April 2015 in Ten Forward
My manager recently asked the team to perform a Myers Briggs Personality test.
As part of a 'team building / understand your coworkers' thing.

While I can't comment on the validity or accuracy of this sort of thing (not my area of expertise) . I took the test, found it to be pretty accurate.

Since I come here pretty often to read fics (and dream of getting back to writing my own) I started to wonder, what kind of personality types play STO, or at least, what kinds write fics and post in the forums. Here's the test we used, http://www.16personalities.com/free-personality-test

If you're willing, I'd love to see what personality types this site is made up of.

Also, do you feel the survey results accurately reflects you?
and
Putting yourself in your character's shoes, what would their personality type be?
(I understand that this human system may not apply to non-humans, but what do you think?)
Post edited by proteusrex on

Comments

• proteusrexproteusrex Member Posts: 62 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    When I did my test, I came up with ENFP, also called 'The Campaigner' part of the Diplomat family. The site has a long summary that feels accurate to me. But for brevity here, I like what Wikipedia has to say:

ENFPs are outgoing, creative, with the key skill of perceiving complicated patterns and information and assimilating it quickly. They are flexible, highly adaptable workers. They are driven by a keen devotion to their ideals and a strong drive to help others. Less developed are their patience for routine tasks, and projection of a serious, committed image. The least extroverted of the extrovert types, ENFP need significant time alone to center themselves and make sure they are moving in a direction which is in sync with their values.

*side note* I did the same test back when I was in school (about 10 years ago) and I came up as an INFP, looks like I'm more Extroverted (barely) now... I guess I came out of my shell since then...
  • gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Whether I test INFP or INFJ seems to change with the wind. Some sites allow people to use an X in place of the uncertain variable. I would say INFX is probably the best fit.

When I was in middle school I tested as ENFJ, but there was also a lot of structure imposed on me at home and what I thought was extraversion then was just ADHD-instigated lack of self control. I was "outgoing" but it was not meant! ;) As an adult, I have made improvements in that area...all without medication, unless you think chocolate and tea count!

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • stardestroyer001stardestroyer001 Member Posts: 2,615 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Since I have 9 --- oops, 10 now --- characters, I think I'll just test myself.

"YOUR PERSONALITY TYPE IS: LOGISTICIAN (ISTJ-T)"

Heh. Funny, since two of my characters are Vulcans. Says something about me, doesn't it?
    stardestroyer001, Admiral, Explorers Fury PvE/PvP Fleet | Retired PvP Player
    Missing the good ol' days of PvP: Legacy of Romulus to Season 9
    My List of Useful Links, Recently Updated November 25 2017!
  • westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,205 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I also came out as a campaigner or ENFP
    Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
  • tarran61tarran61 Member Posts: 827 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    YOUR PERSONALITY TYPE IS:
    LOGISTICIAN (ISTJ-T)

Two active toons at the time, one a Fed Tac Vulcan and the other is a Fed Tac Romulan. I also have a Fed Engineer Ferengi but he just sits in space and does my purchasing of Commodities. He get them at a discount.

Famous ISTJs:

George Washington Andrew Johnson Benjamin Harrison Herbert Hoover George H.W. Bush Angela Merkel Natalie Portman “Hermione Granger” from Harry Potter series “Adrian Monk” from Monk “Dana Scully” from X-Files
    Positive thoughts.
    NeAC.gif
  • collegepark2151collegepark2151 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Defender (ISFJ-T)

The given description makes me out more socialble and outgoing than I think is true.

I'm a High-C on the DISC personality test for those familiar with that scale.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Porthos is not amused.
  • kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I've taken this personality test enough times to know what I'll get already. It's INTJ, in case you're curious.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Logician (INTP-A) - thats what its rated me at.

never done one of these before, well there it is.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • grylakgrylak Member Posts: 1,594 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Mediator (INFP-A)
    INFP Personality (“The Mediator”)

INFP personalities are true idealists, always looking for the hint of good in even the worst of people and events, searching for ways to make things better. While they may be perceived as calm, reserved, or even shy, INFPs have an inner flame and passion that can truly shine. Comprising just 4% of the population, the risk of feeling misunderstood is unfortunately high for the INFP personality type - but when they find like-minded people to spend their time with, the harmony they feel will be a fountain of joy and inspiration.

INFP personalityBeing a part of the Diplomat (NF) personality group, INFPs are guided by their principles, rather than by logic (Analysts), excitement (Explorers), or practicality (Sentinels). When deciding how to move forward, they will look to honor, beauty, morality and virtue - INFPs are led by the purity of their intent, not rewards and punishments. People who share the INFP personality type are proud of this quality, and rightly so, but not everyone understands the drive behind these feelings, and it can lead to isolation.

All that is gold does not glitter; not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither; deep roots are not reached by the frost.
    J. R. R. Tolkien

We Know What We Are, But Know Not What We May Be

At their best, these qualities enable INFPs to communicate deeply with others, easily speaking in metaphors and parables, and understanding and creating symbols to share their ideas. The strength of this intuitive communication style lends itself well to creative works, and it comes as no surprise that many famous INFPs are poets, writers and actors. Understanding themselves and their place in the world is important to INFPs, and they explore these ideas by projecting themselves into their work.
    INFPs have a talent for self-expression, revealing their beauty and their secrets through metaphors and fictional characters.

INFPs’ ability with language doesn’t stop with their native tongue, either - as with most people who share the Diplomat personality types, they are considered gifted when it comes to learning a second (or third!) language. Their gift for communication also lends itself well to INFPs’ desire for harmony, a recurring theme with Diplomats, and helps them to move forward as they find their calling.
    Listen to Many People, But Talk to Few

Unlike their Extraverted cousins though, INFPs will focus their attention on just a few people, a single worthy cause - spread too thinly, they’ll run out of energy, and even become dejected and overwhelmed by all the bad in the world that they can’t fix. This is a sad sight for INFPs’ friends, who will come to depend on their rosy outlook.

If they are not careful, INFPs can lose themselves in their quest for good and neglect the day-to-day upkeep that life demands. INFPs often drift into deep thought, enjoying contemplating the hypothetical and the philosophical more than any other personality type. Left unchecked, INFPs may start to lose touch, withdrawing into "hermit mode", and it can take a great deal of energy from their friends or partner to bring them back to the real world.

Luckily, like the flowers in spring, INFP’s affection, creativity, altruism and idealism will always come back, rewarding them and those they love perhaps not with logic and utility, but with a world view that inspires compassion, kindness and beauty wherever they go.

Except for that whole 'finding good in people' baloney, that is actually a pretty accurate description of me. I've not done my characters, but damn. I'm almost freaked out by the accuracy.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
  • kimonykimony Member Posts: 571 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    The Verdict: INFP-T

The Turbulent Diplomat

Sounds like the title of a Disney movie from the 60's

Stay tuned for Walt Disney's "The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes" and "The Turbulent Diplomat"

:P

#SaucersForever #TrianglesCutDeep #TeamBeta #ShipOneisNumberOne
  • steamwrightsteamwright Member Posts: 2,820
    edited April 2015
    kimony wrote: »

Stay tuned for Walt Disney's "The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes" and "The Turbulent Diplomat"

:P

...followed by "The Shaggy D.A." ;)

Back in the day, oh, around 1998, M-B tests were different and recorded people by 4 types which they named after the classic four humors. I was melancholy-phlegmatic back then.

This is different. I got ISFJ-A, a.k.a. "The Defender". Hmm, this may explain MMO class types to which I'm drawn. "Get behind me. I've got this." I tend to stand my ground hoping to purchase escape from a team wipe for at least a few. "You shall not pass!"

I'm also impressed by how they pegged the "naturally social" introvert thing.
    Love only grows by sharing. You can only have more for yourself by giving it away to others.
    Brian Tracy
    The ISFJ personality type is quite unique, as many of their qualities defy the definition of their individual traits. Though possessing the Feeling (F) trait, ISFJs have excellent analytical abilities; though Introverted (I), they have well-developed people skills and robust social relationships; and though they are a Judging (J) type, ISFJs are often receptive to change and new ideas. As with so many things, people with the ISFJ personality type are more than the sum of their parts, and it is the way they use these strengths that defines who they are.

ISFJs are true altruists, meeting kindness with kindness-in-excess and engaging the work and people they believe in with enthusiasm and generosity.
    ISFJ personalityThere's hardly a better type to make up such a large proportion of the population, nearly 13%. Combining the best of tradition and the desire to do good, ISFJs are found in lines of work with a sense of history behind them, such as medicine, academics and charitable social work.

ISFJ personalities (especially Turbulent ones) are often meticulous to the point of perfectionism, and though they procrastinate, they can always be relied on to get the job done on time. ISFJs take their responsibilities personally, consistently going above and beyond, doing everything they can to exceed expectations and delight others, at work and at home.

WE MUST BE SEEN TO BE BELIEVED

The challenge for ISFJs is ensuring that what they do is noticed. They have a tendency to underplay their accomplishments, and while their kindness is often respected, more cynical and selfish people are likely to take advantage of ISFJs' dedication and humbleness by pushing work onto them and then taking the credit. ISFJs need to know when to say no and stand up for themselves if they are to maintain their confidence and enthusiasm.

Naturally social, an odd quality for Introverts, ISFJs utilize excellent memories not to retain data and trivia, but to remember people, and details about their lives. When it comes to gift-giving, ISFJs have no equal, using their imagination and natural sensitivity to express their generosity in ways that touch the hearts of their recipients. While this is certainly true of their coworkers, whom people with the ISFJ personality type often consider their personal friends, it is in family that their expressions of affection fully bloom.

IF I CAN PROTECT YOU, I WILL

ISFJ personalities are a wonderful group, rarely sitting idle while a worthy cause remains unfinished. ISFJs' ability to connect with others on an intimate level is unrivaled among Introverts, and the joy they experience in using those connections to maintain a supportive, happy family is a gift for everyone involved. They may never be truly comfortable in the spotlight, and may feel guilty taking due credit for team efforts, but if they can ensure that their efforts are recognized, ISFJs are likely to feel a level of satisfaction in what they do that many other personality types can only dream of.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    INTP-A here - but then I've often felt that online personality tests should be taken with a large grain of salt, preferably accompanied by a margarita.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Since I have 9 --- oops, 10 now --- characters, I think I'll just test myself.

"YOUR PERSONALITY TYPE IS: LOGISTICIAN (ISTJ-T)"

Heh. Funny, since two of my characters are Vulcans. Says something about me, doesn't it?
    Actually, not so much. "Logistician" indicates someone who's good at logistics, not necessarily logic - you might make a good Eng or Tac captain, able to juggle your multiple abilities in-game.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I got 'Logician (INTP-T)'

LLAP, b**ches :cool:

\\//_
  • adamkafeiadamkafei Member Posts: 6,539 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    INFP ("THE MEDIATOR")

The description seems to fit rather well actually.
    ZiOfChe.png?1
    edited April 2015
    Just actually took the test and as expected got INFP-T, but riding VERY close to INFJ-T. I have not read what that profile is but with most of these sites I have found it takes reading both profiles to get at all close to what I am like.

Since no one has posted the INFJ-T profile yet, here it is: http://www.16personalities.com/infj-personality

The INFJ side captures the more fiery aspects of my personality that are not apparent in the INFP profile. The way I react when I get pushed hard enough, both to achieve, and in anger, fits that side. The INFP side really seems to be in the creative aspect.

Ironically one character I had pegged as this type in Star Trek, albeit a severely twisted and evil one, was Gul Dukat. The potential he threw away with his evil choices...he could have been truly great, not a force of such hatred and destruction.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    ENFP-T, whatever that means.

Like MDK, I don't put much stock by online quizzes.
  • marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    worffan101 wrote: »
    ENFP-T, whatever that means.

Like MDK, I don't put much stock by online quizzes.
    It depends on the extensiveness and nature of the quiz :D Some are too brief to give anything but a broad summary, others are much more in-depth. I wouldn't say everything in this description is 'spookily accurate' to me, but some aspects are on the money... :D
  • bcwhguderian1941bcwhguderian1941 Member Posts: 804 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Guess I'm the "odd-man-out" with this bunch...

Executive (ESTJ-A).

Seems I shouldn't even be in a Starship in STO based on what I read. :P
    Albiet, according to a very generalized test. Interesting excersize though.

BCW. :)
    edited April 2015
    Guess I'm the "odd-man-out" with this bunch...

Executive (ESTJ-A).

Seems I shouldn't even be in a Starship in STO based on what I read. :P
    Albiet, according to a very generalized test. Interesting excersize though.

BCW. :)

Actually, it's not so out-of-line. After all, if you place any stock in your results, the real-life military might actually be one of the things that would fit you. If I had to guess, I would say that imagining yourself commanding a starship is not a far leap--merely changing the setting of whatever position of responsibility you already hold or are aiming to hold. ;)

Ironically, though, MY profile claimed my real-life career (auditing) would be horrible for me. Well, it would only be if I had to stare at financials all day...it's not THAT kind of auditing most of the time. (On the other hand, it was dead on about my previous career. Retail is the mind-killer.)

• hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,758 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I got ISTJ Logistican, with Assertive/Sentinel, like some kind of Vulcan, parking enforcer.
    edited April 2015
    hawku001x wrote: »
    I got ISTJ Logistican, with Assertive/Sentinel, like some kind of Vulcan, parking enforcer.

Or Constable Odo. Does that character ring a bell? ;)

• hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,758 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    gulberat wrote: »
    Or Constable Odo. Does that character ring a bell? ;)

*crosses arms*

"Hmph."
  • shevetshevet Member Posts: 1,667 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    INTJ-T, "The Architect". With a quote from Harlan Ellison, to boot.

Of course, I could paper the walls of a fair-sized house with all the Myers-Briggs tests I've taken over the years. As a guide to personality, I suppose they're fractionally more reliable than, say, astrology or reading the entrails of goats.

(One comment I heard once is that, in fact, these tests are useful for potential employers during the recruitment process, as the candidates who want the job most will work hardest at faking a personality type that suits it.)
    8b6YIel.png?1
  • antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    ISFJ-A "The Defender" - I tend to bounce around the empathic spectrum depending on how the questions are oriented, typically. I like how this one has a gradient scale.

Sometimes I think these reveal more about the personality of the test creator.
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    shevet wrote: »
    INTJ-T, "The Architect". With a quote from Harlan Ellison, to boot.

Of course, I could paper the walls of a fair-sized house with all the Myers-Briggs tests I've taken over the years.

So you built the house whose walls you're papering. That makes you an architect, no? ;)
    Sometimes I think these reveal more about the personality of the test creator.

What does this reveal?

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • fatman592fatman592 Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I've taken this test several times over the years, INTP is always the result.
  • antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    dalolorn wrote: »
    So you built the house whose walls you're papering. That makes you an architect, no? ;)

What does this reveal?

The questions on this one are heavily oriented towards small group project type situations in business, as opposed to school situations, or public speaking or event type questions. I'm not sure exactly what it reveals as an enthusiastic armchair psychologist, but I've seen ones that have focused more on the 'lots of public versus less' as opposed to 'lots of planning, how like to do planning vs off-the-cuff'.
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,985 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I got Virtuoso
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • generalmocogeneralmoco Member Posts: 1,634
      edited April 2015
      YOUR PERSONALITY TYPE IS:
      ENTREPRENEUR (ESTP-A)

Yay....

:)))