test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Please let us use * in exchange search terms

khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
For example: say I want an Antiproton Beam Array but I want it with a specific mod, we'll say [CrtD]x2 in this case, if I search 'Antiproton Beam Array [CrtD]x2' then I'd only get results where that's the first mod the weapon has but I might miss a lot where that's the second or third mod the weapon has. This leaves me having to either search through all Antiproton Beam Arrays or all possible weapons which have [CrtD]x2.

But if I could search 'Antiproton Beam Array * [CrtD]x2' then it'd find any of that weapon type which also have that mod even if it's not the first mod listed. Do you see what I'm getting at?
Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,587 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    They should add a full regex engine to the Search, while they're at it.

+1
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • solarwraithsolarwraith Member Posts: 186 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    For example: say I want an Antiproton Beam Array but I want it with a specific mod, we'll say [CrtD]x2 in this case, if I search 'Antiproton Beam Array [CrtD]x2' then I'd only get results where that's the first mod the weapon has but I might miss a lot where that's the second or third mod the weapon has. This leaves me having to either search through all Antiproton Beam Arrays or all possible weapons which have [CrtD]x2.

But if I could search 'Antiproton Beam Array * [CrtD]x2' then it'd find any of that weapon type which also have that mod even if it's not the first mod listed. Do you see what I'm getting at?

I'll call on that wildcard and raise you one doff traits search.
  • rodentmasterrodentmaster Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    agreed!!!!

And while we're at it, add a flag to search for skills or traits in boff descriptions as well as just the names.
  • solarwraithsolarwraith Member Posts: 186 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    agreed!!!!

And while we're at it, add a flag to search for skills or traits in boff descriptions as well as just the names.

Might as well add the male or female symbol to the boffs too.
  • fruitvendor12fruitvendor12 Member Posts: 615 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Because DBAs like nothing more than thousands of trolls spamming the equivalent of SELECT * FROM [tablename]... ;)
  • toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    That would help with pretty much anything (particularly warp cores).

Doff and Boff trait and ability filters would be welcome too.
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • imruinedimruined Member Posts: 1,457 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    A full Exchange UI revamp is long overdue...
    The entitlement is strong in these forums...

not_funny_Q_shadows_small.jpg
  • xparr15xparr15 Member Posts: 283 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Agreed to all ideas posted above. Especially weapon mods.
  • khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    edited March 2015
    I'll call on that wildcard and raise you one doff traits search.
    agreed!!!!

My God, yes. Both of those have also cost me hours of my life that I'll never get back haha.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • oneratsonerats Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I think we should just get rid of the exchange entirely. I mean really, the Federation.. sponsoring not only weapons sales but also allowing the buying and selling of sentient beings?

But yeah, something like this would be cool. It gets very old trying to search for certain items and not being able to type in an unbroken search term that will leave you with something usable instead of a list of a million things nobody should ever buy in the first place.
  • fruitvendor12fruitvendor12 Member Posts: 615 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Player-only shops?

Even Raph Koster never went that far.

But then he was one of the major thought blockers for FTP for almost a decade. Imagine if Sony had ignored him and gone micro transaction...

So yeah, player-only shops?
  • groomofweirdgroomofweird Member Posts: 1,045 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I agree the exchange needs a serious overhaul.
    The insane lag sometimes, and various odd bugs that have occurred recently, and the lack of search options is annoying now and doesn't seem to be getting any better.
    Nimoysig1_zpsr79joxz3.jpg
    "If this will be our end, then I will have them make SUCH an end as to be worthy of rememberance! Out of torpedos you say?! Find me the ferengi!".
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Yeah, the exchange definitely needs a complete overhaul. After playing SWTOR and GW2, it's quite painful coming back to use rather pathetic exchange we have here.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • smokeybacon90smokeybacon90 Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Coming from other MMOs, I find the STO exchange very easy to use, with the exception of the stubborn and inflexible search field.

If we can get wildcards like this then it would be a near-perfect auction house IMO.

It would also be great to see a sale history.
    EnYn9p9.jpg
  • farranorfarranor Member Posts: 559 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    If not Perl/Python-style regex, then maybe some check boxes for various modifiers or traits would be in order? Even a simple AND and OR feature would be great. One thing is for sure: the current searchstring.lower() in itemname.lower() is not a good user experience.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I know enough about wildcards to know just how much more computing is needed.... probably too much for them to ever implement wildcards.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    edited March 2015
    I know enough about wildcards to know just how much more computing is needed.... probably too much for them to ever implement wildcards.

Regex ("wildcards") can be implemented with reasonable performance, if it's done well.
  • prierinprierin Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    One thing I’d like to see... I mean, would *really* like to see in the exchange, is for it to remember and show your last 10 purchases as a history.

Or, if you want to place an item for bidding, have it show the AVERAGE price of said item, with which you can choose to sell above or below (or at) the median.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    You will forever be missed and never forgotten.
  • cypherouscypherous Member Posts: 183 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    imruined wrote: »
    A full UI revamp is long overdue...

Fixed that for you, its not just the exchange, the entire UI is showing its age, ever tried looting something while in combat? the damn box just keeps vanishing, sometimes i've left with the loot roll window just as a black box after all loot rolls, and thats before we get to UI windows that are re-opened almost immediately after closing them, see azure nebula mission briefing and CC briefing

There is a lot of stuff they need to redo
  • jerichoredoranjerichoredoran Member Posts: 195 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Coming from other MMOs, I find the STO exchange very easy to use, with the exception of the stubborn and inflexible search field.

If we can get wildcards like this then it would be a near-perfect auction house IMO.

It would also be great to see a sale history.

Easy to use in its limited ways, I agree with that. Its still even below baseline.
    Making each word in the search field a token for itself would definately help much and bring it at least to baseline.

If you never tried Eve I can at least understand your assessment.
  • imruinedimruined Member Posts: 1,457 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    cypherous wrote: »
    Fixed that for you, its not just the exchange, the entire UI is showing its age, ever tried looting something while in combat? the damn box just keeps vanishing, sometimes i've left with the loot roll window just as a black box after all loot rolls, and thats before we get to UI windows that are re-opened almost immediately after closing them, see azure nebula mission briefing and CC briefing

There is a lot of stuff they need to redo

Personally, for the most part, the existing UI does what it needs to - outside of known bugs anyway... The exchange in STO however, IMO is amongst the worst, if not the worst, UI I have seen for an auction house/exchange system in an MMO...

I feel part of the problem is the system by which STO labels mods on items, and the lack of ability to search specifically for these, without manually entering the entire item name, as well no way of searching for specific traits/skills on Boffs and Doffs...
    The entitlement is strong in these forums...

not_funny_Q_shadows_small.jpg
    edited March 2015
    imruined wrote: »
    Personally, for the most part, the existing UI does what it needs to - outside of known bugs anyway... The exchange in STO however, IMO is amongst the worst, if not the worst, UI I have seen for an auction house/exchange system in an MMO...

I feel part of the problem is the system by which STO labels mods on items, and the lack of ability to search specifically for these, without manually entering the entire item name, as well no way of searching for specific traits/skills on Boffs and Doffs...
    There's two main things I can think of that would help.

1: being able to use two search strings. IE search for A then look at all A to see if it's also B

2: yeah, being able to search for boff/doff traits/skills would be quite useful.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • swamarianswamarian Member Posts: 1,506 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    They should add a full regex engine to the Search, while they're at it.

When presented with a problem, many programmers have decided, " I know. I'll use regular expressions."
    He now has 2 problems.

Regular expressions would cause horrible performance problems with the exchange. ? and * are all you really need.
  • lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Using wildcards in the exchange would be awesome.

/vote +1

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Couldn they just add a search engine, instead of all these small ideas?
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • rekurzionrekurzion Member Posts: 697 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    First year computer science I learned computers have 3 primary functions. To store, sort and search for data.

Once leaving the comfort of college for the real world I learned most programmers never took computer science.

Sharepoint doesn't even have a valuable search function. Along with QA and documentation, functional searching is sorely missing from many software.
    There's two main things I can think of that would help.

1: being able to use two search strings. IE search for A then look at all A to see if it's also B

There is something kind of like that already with the search by type option. But still limited. They should understand that creating canned features based on what they think we want is just a limitation of what we want. And ironically requires more programming.
    edited March 2015
    rekurzion wrote: »
    First year computer science I learned computers have 3 primary functions. To store, sort and search for data.

Once leaving the comfort of college for the real world I learned most programmers never took computer science.

Sharepoint doesn't even have a valuable search function. Along with QA and documentation, functional searching is sorely missing from many software.

There is something kind of like that already with the search by type option. But still limited. They should understand that creating canned features based on what they think we want is just a limitation of what we want. And ironically requires more programming.
    The way I understand it, types are basically a tag that's a hidden part of the item data. When you search for one it's not as complex as a keyword search.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    edited March 2015
    deokkent wrote: »
    They're called wildcards.

Well aware, but I was being lazy. Plus I figured more people would recognise * than wildcard in the title. :)
    edited March 2015
    Maybe "search within results" would be less of a performance issue? Even better, they could cache initial results on the client side, so that searching within those results wouldn't burden the server.

I dream of a world where I can search under ship weapons for "antiproton", then "mk xi", then "crt", and get all MK XI AP weapons with CrtH or CrtD.