test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Cogent & Verizon partly to blame for these disconnections.

stuart1965stuart1965 Member Posts: 691 Arc User
From what I have seen recently and this is new to me, cogent & verizon are partly to blame, for these in game disconnections and rubberbanding. All to do with a money dispute.
If this is the case, what is cryptic doing about this problem?
Perhaps they need a new ISP who is much more reliable and keeps internet traffic up at high speed.
Another thing, hopefully in future if the servers and cryptics ISP come alot more reliable, then maybe more players will go for an LTS account.
Come on cryptic, wake up and smell the coffee and potentially more dollars coming into your coffers if the game becomes alot more reliable and no server not responding problems.

Onto a separate subject.
Theres still been no news about what cryptic is doing to bring alive all the PVE queues, most of which are still dead.
Many are on Crystalline because its a substantial reward, and of course that new fancy torpedo.
Decent bigger rewards need to be on every queue in this game to bring it back to life.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• castsbugccastsbugc Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    The thing of it is, they only have so much control over the path you take to the game server. And realistically that control is where they plug into the wall in the server farm.

Your local isp has more control over how you route to things then cryptic does, and any complaints put at them...will be noted and thats about it. Who knows in this brave new world of net neutrality maybe all lag will go away as you can no longer throttle traffic like they used to.

You can stop laughing now
    seriously....

I had a problem with TW linking into cogent about a year back for like a month, it was bad, patchday was the worst day because I could only patch at like 100mb every 10min at its worse.
  • wired2thenetwired2thenet Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I do tech support for a company that does a lot of online stuff. If you're having a lot of issues, you might try googling for a DNS analyzer ... sometimes GoogleDNS or OpenDNS will have better results (and less lag) than your ISP's default DNS service.

I once spoke with a fellow in California whose ISP had him routed to a DNS server in Arizona. When he changed to OpenDNS, it selected one in his hometown, and his issues went away.

Not saying it will help here (there's a lot more going on with a game server than just simple routing traffic), but it might.
  • xaviermace86xaviermace86 Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I do tech support for a company that does a lot of online stuff. If you're having a lot of issues, you might try googling for a DNS analyzer ... sometimes GoogleDNS or OpenDNS will have better results (and less lag) than your ISP's default DNS service.

I once spoke with a fellow in California whose ISP had him routed to a DNS server in Arizona. When he changed to OpenDNS, it selected one in his hometown, and his issues went away.

Not saying it will help here (there's a lot more going on with a game server than just simple routing traffic), but it might.

DNS has nothing to do with routing traffic.
  • rodentmasterrodentmaster Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    DNS has nothing to do with routing traffic.

Especially so when you're only ever connecting to the same end point that never changes. There's never any reason to look up anything on the DNS. You log in straight to the IP address every time.

The long and short of it is: This is primarily Cogent Co's fault. It has almost always been their fault for years in dozens of games and players unified around the world loathe Cogent Co en masse.

There is only one excuse ever to use them, and it's a weak-TRIBBLE excuse: They're cheap.