test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Are people still using the Kobali Samsar Cruiser?

lingeringsoul888lingeringsoul888 Member Posts: 509 Arc User
edited March 2015 in Federation Discussion
Or have you all moved onto the Command cruisers?

Given that I can't afford command cruisers, I;ve been using the Samsar cruiser on my other two alternate characters. After leveling up and putting in some traits to add HP points, the ship is insane at tanking. I left it parked next to the Crystalline ent tabbed out and came back 5 min later and it's still alive!!!!! It's impossible to die in this thing. Are all the other command cruisers the same way? I managed to get the HP to over 100k with almost 20k shield........just fly up and forget, chekc back in a bit and see.

Love this thing, only wish it had better bridge officer seating.
Post edited by lingeringsoul888 on

Comments

• seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    It's a tough ship, just lacking in the damage dealing aspect.

I don't use mine, I did the event, got the ship and the pulled the Console off for my Presido and my Geneva.

Yes, all the Command Cruisers are extraordinarily tough. The Concorde is very similar to the Samsar, very tough, but not very good at damage dealing. The Presidio and the Geneva can pretty much do it all.

A lot of people use the Samsar.. tons. The only ship I see more of is the Presidio. Samsars are everywhere.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • burstorionburstorion Member Posts: 1,750 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Try it as a torpboat with a set of bo doffs and the command torp ability (I forget its name) - it tears chunks out of opponents (provided you are the only torpedo user in the mission to maximise high yield 'gifts')
  • birzarkbirzark Member Posts: 634 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I am using one on my alt, its a tough ship has about 100k HP on that thing which is crazy. I haven't even gotten any good gear on it so i can easily bring that number up. It has a LTC specialization station which is more than most others that were introduced like the pathfinder with only a LT spec station on it. Lacking in the tact consoles but still a fun ship to fly.

Edit: i did go into an azure nebula and i was the oddball out in pathfinder with 4 of them in the group.
  • variant37variant37 Member Posts: 867 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Never used mine. I was just after the console for use on my CBC.
  • cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Got mine, used it for the Trait then drydocked it because EXCELSIOR!

But yeah, see them a lot still. heck, if I didn't love the Excelsior so much I'd probably still be flying it.
  • lawstanzlawstanz Member Posts: 70 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Seems like Samsars and command cruisers are all I see right now.
  • norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 2,624 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    its an ok ship but I used it for a total of 1/2 an hour to get the trait and mothballed it. It is a pure tank with too much engineering for my tastes; I like the command sci/tac versions from the store but engineer ships just don't do it for me. Tanking in a low dps ship is difficult because you can't make the damage to actually pull threat off a dps player. I have never been able to accomplish that. Tanking only really works if you are grouped with a lot of low dps players ... or solo and just don't want to die, ever. A few players manage it, but like I said, I can't seem to pull it off so this type of ship is worthless in my hands.
  • rodentmasterrodentmaster Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I ran it on a handful of chars with full kobali set + console. When set up properly it'll tank almost anything. Massive hull tanking ability especially with kobali set, and the console, and then add into that the ability to shield heal nicely AND the shield capacitor that heals others nearby you from the warp core...

It's a great healer/tank. Too bad you don't need either in this game. In fact, as mentioned, the best tanks have more offensive power to keep agro. You can't tank with this few tac seats IMO. It just doesn't have the bite it needs.

Other than that, it CAN be a really good solid ship, if flown right. However I'm seeing some really questionable builds lately. I saw one that was dying over and over and over in a single CCA match. I was right next to it, and ended up healing it and others while still pouring on the firepower. My char was still finishing off the trait mastery so it was also in the samsar. However nice the tanking is, it wasn't overly fun. It also wasn't all that pleasing aesthetically. Sure, it turned well and flew great, but the looks just were too odd for me. Even my tanky cruiser char switched away. In fact, I went back to an old love, the dil-bought Assault Cruiser. Consider that it's like a kobali but weaker, less stats, limited to lvl40 setup (i.e. doesn't scale with your rank), and doesn't have the LtCDR sci seat, it's surprisingly more fun than the kobali.

At least... IMO. I really can't knock the Samsar much. Overall it's solid. Same could be said for the Obelisk Carrier. It just lacks punch or pizazz. If you don't have punch you need pizazz. If you don't have pizazz you straight up need more punch. You're either flying a ship for style or effectiveness. The Samsar isn't all that effective, and it's subjective if the style is enough to keep you flying it. For me? It wasn't. I don't dislike it, but neither do I really like it.
  • welcome2earfwelcome2earf Member Posts: 1,746 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Sadly, it takes a LOT of work/consoles/etc to make this ship worthwhile to me in a sadly DPS-centric game.

Like most others - got it for trait and/or console, then drydocked.
    T93uSC8.jpg
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    It's a nice ship which fulfills its intended role admirably. A generic ship which allows people to sample what a T6 ship can do without giving away everything. It is a teaser ship which hopefully encourages people to spend money on the purchase of other T6 ships. This is the cynic in me coming to the fore.

Another part of my personality is intrigued by the possibilities of what appears to be the Ultimate Tank/Support Ship and can I bump up its firepower enough to make it as viable a ship as my others.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Me, I've moved on from the Samsar. But it's widely flown despite the subsequent appearance of newer ships. It was a free Fleet-equivalent T6 ship that you have to try hard to get it destroyed. I can't fault players for sticking with it.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • hereticknight085hereticknight085 Member Posts: 3,783 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Considering the ship is nigh indestructible, and actually looks pretty cool... I still put it in drydock and flew off in my Presidio. It's just so much better. As was stated, everything the Samsar can do, the Presidio and Geneva can do better.

As freebies go, it wasn't a bad ship. But as overall performance capability goes... it's not a bad ship, but it's nothing amazing.
    It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once. B)
  • gerwalk0769gerwalk0769 Member Posts: 1,095 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I ran it as a torpedo boat (all plasma fore and various aft builds including all Rom Rep. All Delta Rep and burst torpedoes aft.) with Concentrate Firepower 1 & 2 and Boarding Party 2 and 3. I ended up dog-fighting a lot in it, not a good thing.

I wanted more Sci or more shield bypassing/torpedo buffing skills to support the lack of Sci. I picked up two doffs to improve the crew regeneration rate (It is a Kobali ship) and Kel the Retributor. It did not have many Tac consoles to boost torpedo damage (to overpower shields) and it did not have many Sci skills or consoles to breech or bypass shields.

The Boarding Party shuttles were so fragile that they were often destroyed by any nearby explosion and did not connect. The offensive cruiser commands do nothing for torpedoes.The cruiser got caught between a rock and a hard place.

In Advanced queues my Sci ships dispatched opponents quicker that the version of the torpedo boat I ran.

I ended up putting this ship away as soon as the Anniversary ended. I many pick it up again, especially if I get a fast proc weapon for torpedoes. Then I would run clusters fore.
    Joined STO in September 2010.
  • szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,723 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I still use it on my new support character; it's a healing monster and pretty much the perfect ship for them.

The Anchored trait works very well on the ship. The damage boost more than makes up for the limited tac consoles and the ship has no problem tanking through all the aggro(from both damage and heals) and noticable resistance penalty(while still being bulky enough to heal others at the same time). Run APC->O and high Aux on it and not only are your heals strong, but your damage gets further boosted as well. The setup usually defaults me to 1st place in CCA 9 times out 10. (It surprised me at first how often the ship ends up tanking the entire instance at once with 0 points in threat, but the ship is actually tough enough to just barely manage it.)
  • piotrtiberiuspiotrtiberius Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I've been using it on my Federation main since I got it. Mainly because I refuse to spend zen on another t-6 ship. I think that line of thinking is why so many of them are flying around now.

I switched back to my free t-5 science ship for the CE event, though. As for my alts, I haven't gotten around to using it on them.
  • joel1974joel1974 Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I prefer to use my Benthan Assault cruiser on my main character. He is a fed eng. The Samsar is in ship selection, just waiting for when I want to use it. Others are using T5U ships still.

I do want to buy one (or all) of the command battlecruisers sometime in the future.
  • petrarch#0647 petrarch Member Posts: 311 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Got it on 9 characters (3 of which were rapid alt runs just to get the console for the future) but I also have the 3 Federation command cruisers.

My engineer currently uses the Samsar to unlock the perk, but I'm going back to the Concorde after that. The 4 piece bonus for the cruisers effectively gives an additional tactical console worths of damage and the Samsar can't reach that. It's a tough old bird though.
  • theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,985 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Not a bad ship, I run one on my main with the 3 piece Nukara space set.
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius