test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The Folly Of Delta Recruitment Drive

Comments

• skyranger1414skyranger1414 Member Posts: 1,785 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    ladymyajha wrote: »
    Hell I'll do it to be honests. Free Dilithium for actually playing the game with the hint of new content on the side of regular missions, and the premise that a new character may actually make it to level 60 with (hopefully) zero grind.

THAT´s the real currency of these drives. They want to fool us into thinking there´s hope for the game before going back to business as usual. Wait until you see actual results from Cryptic and do not give them the benefit of the doubt. Its no secret they´re pouring all their resources into NWO, so how are we to believe they´re going to revitalize STO?
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    edited March 2015
    Lets see... they may be porting Neverwinter over to the XBox 1, but we've got Season 10 coming, a total sector space revamp, weekly bug fixes, an art Dev wanting reference pics of ground weapons we'd like, an EP working to help restore faith in the Devs...

If they were focusing ALL their efforts on Neverwinter... STO would be in maintenance mode.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • spockout1spockout1 Member Posts: 314 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    More TWOK. Less stupidity.
    "After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing after all as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true. Except for a T5 Connie. That would be f*%#ing awesome." - Mr. Spock
  • disposeableh3r0disposeableh3r0 Member Posts: 1,927 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Lets see... they may be porting Neverwinter over to the XBox 1, but we've got Season 10 coming, a total sector space revamp, weekly bug fixes, an art Dev wanting reference pics of ground weapons we'd like, an EP working to help restore faith in the Devs...

If they were focusing ALL their efforts on Neverwinter... STO would be in maintenance mode.

Never winter is also run out of a different studio, with its own budget and everything. So I don't see how it would make a difference to the star trek team what nw did
    As a time traveller, Am I supposed to pack underwear or underwhen?

Not everything you see on the internet is true - Abraham Lincoln

Occidere populo et effercio confractus
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Never winter is also run out of a different studio, with its own budget and everything. So I don't see how it would make a difference to the star trek team what nw did

Supposedly, Champions Online, Star Trek Online, and Neverwinter all run on the same engine so what is possible in one game can in theory be transferred to another game.
  • disposeableh3r0disposeableh3r0 Member Posts: 1,927 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    starkaos wrote: »
    Supposedly, Champions Online, Star Trek Online, and Neverwinter all run on the same engine so what is possible in one game can in theory be transferred to another game.

They are. I was referring to resources, like dev time, or money.
    As a time traveller, Am I supposed to pack underwear or underwhen?

Not everything you see on the internet is true - Abraham Lincoln

Occidere populo et effercio confractus
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Good thread OP I feel you.

This entire promo feels like trouble a bit. Cryptic is only concerned with metrics and my best guess is that those numbers tell them that they have a massive lack of new players or seasonal returners and those who stick loyal with this game have refrained from making new alts.

For us the reason seem obvious but for a company which has totally lost his touch with its customers such ideas with Delta Recruiting may actually come up.

From everything I can see the game is not doing as good as it should be. The number of participants in mainstream “free-dil” events like CC are about ¼ of what they used to be post LoR.

For me the decision is easy. If Delta Recruits are just around to grab special rewards for my account I would simply make a toon for such a purpose. Nobody even forces me to take it speciously (reputs, build, spec tree). If on the other hand they intend to make them some Tier 6 übertoons or anything with obvious benefits they only have over my current chars it would finally seal my fate in STO.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    For reasons unknown to us (the players) the company (Cryptic) wants us to create new characters. They want us to create new characters very badly, even going so far as to dangle perks and dilithium generation in front of us.

that remains to be seen what cryptic consider an "incentive". how does 5 units of unrefined dil sounds for every destroyed/killed? thats hardly an incentive to play. by the point you unlock the reps, youre expected to have enough dil to get this stuff. some of the missions have a lot of enemies to deal with, others dont have much of anything at all.

on top of that is this way of getting the recruit to max level sooner. i got no interest in taking a level 50 to level 60 outside the recruit if it is a lot faster and assuming i considered it, so unless cryptic have got a 12x xp (or whatever) boost that remains in effect for delta sectors, there is not much that would convince me to consider this delta recruit thing. still got other toons that have barely gotten out the lower 50's yet to make it to 60. there should of been some incentive to get these to level 60.

but all this shows in the end is that cryptic can clearly see their own leveling progression is not working as they would like to put all these "incentives" out there.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • skyranger1414skyranger1414 Member Posts: 1,785 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    rattler2 wrote: »

If you feel that STO is in its current state while having got anything like adequate amounts of time, care, and development cash from Cryptic, then I don´t know what to tell you.

Different dev teams means they just get to more cleanly reroute cash and resources to their current projects. For now that is NWO because PWI is interested in having a successful product in the west. Before NWO it was STO and CO was left to whither, with the odd release for a year or two before the current near silence.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I can't help but see the newly announced Delta Recruitment Drive as, what my granddad used to say, "spitting in the wind."

For reasons unknown to us (the players) the company (Cryptic) wants us to create new characters. They want us to create new characters very badly, even going so far as to dangle perks and dilithium generation in front of us.
    No, what they really want is new players and long-lapsed players to come to the game and realize that this is the chance to not feel like they have to make up for an up to 5 year difference, or rather, this drive is their chance to make up for it in 4 weeks.

Delta Rising was for players that played this game since forever and all the time, to ensure that they keep having stuff to do forever and all the time.

LOR was for new and lapsed players, with the goal of getting more players playing the game.
    Delta Recruitment Drive is for new and lapsed players, with the goal of getting more players playing the game.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    FYI it's not always about you... this is to generate new players. they are giving you a free character slot so you can participate in it and get the trait without needing to buy a new slot or delete a character.

this game's primary focus is to generate new players... every nerf that comes is a nerf only to existing players. I think all free to play games focus solely on new players... they entice em to spend $ and enjoy the game and then they leave.

if this game wasnt called Star Trek I wouldnt be playing cause frankly it's very dull... I am only here to get my lifetime subs worth...

it's free to play so I dont begrudge em trying to make money off new folks who play, cause they sure as heck arent making much off of me.
  • infydelinfydel Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    starkaos wrote: »
    The explanation from Enterprise why Klingons looked like that in TOS is even worse. I preferred Worf's explanation, we don't like to talk about it.

Right, they really should have just left it completely unexplained.
    Vulcans are MEAN
  • czertik123czertik123 Member Posts: 1,122 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    well i will use that one extra char, as kdf aligned rom, and will play it only for that acount wide trait, and that all.
    new content ? bah...if they arether spend that time fixing annoing bugs like super lag, awol boffs and other fails.
  • voivodjevoivodje Member Posts: 436 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Basically, all but one "race" is covered by/for players: BORG.
    No game has these as a a playable "race" which is bloody saddening.

Now, don't go like: "That can't be a playable "race", because I have like a trillion ideas to actually make that work.

I stated this LONG ago: we miss the playable Borg "race"!!!
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    voivodje wrote: »

Now, don't go like: "That can't be a playable "race", because I have like a trillion ideas to actually make that work.

By "race" you mean race or faction?

There is the option to play a liberated Borg. The make up is creative. Mine looks full Borg to me whenever I like to. He has even special Borg only traits.

I play a Borg for 2,5 years and started him the moment I got my livetime sub. He is one of my most productive and efficient chars.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • voivodjevoivodje Member Posts: 436 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Both.
    With a complete storyline specific to the Borg.
    Missions, quests, and eventually: PVP?

PS: A "liberated" Borg is no Borg... :(

PS: I put quote marks on race since they are not quite a race, but a hive of hundreds of thousand assimilated races.
    Probably the original race that became Borg does not exist anymore, save for the saved identities within the Collective.
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I can be cynical about this but I have trouble pronouncing the folly of this until I know what it includes and how my main character benefits or doesn't benefit.

If my main character gets a T6 ship, costume, and a bridge officer, for example, that seems like a very fair reward for spending awhile on an alt.
  • horridpersonhorridperson Member Posts: 665 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    If there is folly in this it's placing an onus on community participation. I view the outcome with considerable cynicism. It's really a no win/double edged sword. I think it's nice that Cryptic are trying to engage us and possibly attract more players but it's like fishing for something nice to eat in a septic tank. Most people don't deserve nice things anyway.

1)Event fails: Rejoice! Ha Ha! Yer game is lol terribull:D. An unlikely result.

2)Event succeeds: If they have the "nerve" to declare the event a success a minority of the population who will likely hoover every ounce of dilithium they can possibly farm will say the same thing complain about the rewards forcing them to play a game they hate, stuffing the metrics box and still not giving them enough free stuff for their troubles.

3)Catastrophic Event failure: Interview with a company member blames community because an event that partners the players and the devs in the outcome is entirely the fault of the Devs. This statement has as much merit as the others; none but players get to say whatever they want because it's , "feedback from paying customers".
    battlegroupad_zps8gon3ojt.jpg

edited March 2015
    sophlogimo wrote: »
    Given that you will earn tons of Dilithium on the new toon, that might actually happen if you by Zen with it, regardless of any other event rewards.

Well, it depends on how much you mean by "tons" and how the market reacts.

But, yeah, I'm not convinced this is a bad deal in theory.

In some ways it's better than some other deals Cryptic has run.

For example, I'm traveling for 10 days this month so I can't complete the Crystalline Catastrophe mission. (Heck, they only seem to run that one when it's physically impossible for me to complete it.)

Whereas with Delta Recruit, I can run it at my own pace over the month. If I have a three day weekend, I can probably do it in that one weekend even if I can't login at any other point in the month. Or if I can play an hour a day, I can do it that way.

Heck, I'd be fine is they wanted to have a special set of rewards every, say, 60 days that is triggered by playing or replaying the complete story content within that 60 day window.

I think the most frustrating part of this for people is having to login to an alt when they'd probably prefer the system not care whether a character is new or not. Just track mission progress with it and make it a story marathon replay event.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    If there is folly in this it's placing an onus on community participation. I view the outcome with considerable cynicism. It's really a no win/double edged sword. I think it's nice that Cryptic are trying to engage us and possibly attract more players but it's like fishing for something nice to eat in a septic tank. Most people don't deserve nice things anyway.

1)Event fails: Rejoice! Ha Ha! Yer game is lol terribull:D. An unlikely result.

2)Event succeeds: If they have the "nerve" to declare the event a success a minority of the population who will likely hoover every ounce of dilithium they can possibly farm will say the same thing complain about the rewards forcing them to play a game they hate, stuffing the metrics box and still not giving them enough free stuff for their troubles.

3)Catastrophic Event failure: Interview with a company member blames community because an event that partners the players and the devs in the outcome is entirely the fault of the Devs. This statement has as much merit as the others; none but players get to say whatever they want because it's , "feedback from paying customers".

I am confident that Cryptic and any studio that would make such an event would ensure that the event would never be a "Catastrophic Failure". It's not like you can actually see how many people are doing the event. You only know of a small number of players, if more than yourself at all.

But I think even if that special trait is really all that there is to eran, that lots of people will jump on it. People do the regular events, too, and not all of them will end up even playing with the toys you can earn. My Conn Officer remains unslotted, and no character is flying any of the Breen ships, but I unlocked them all on most of them.

It is most likely easy to pick numbers for the low end they know to be certain for the community to achieve, based on past experience regarding event participation.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I am confident that Cryptic and any studio that would make such an event would ensure that the event would never be a "Catastrophic Failure". It's not like you can actually see how many people are doing the event.

you do not know that for sure, and there is always a first time for everything.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • js26568js26568 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Personally I'm waiting for a lot more information to come from Cryptic about this event. The blog was vague - intentionally so - even though players know by now that Cryptic plans these things months in advance. They could easily release detailed information about this - the specific rewards, expected play duration, the level your new character needs to reach to unlock the trait.

If you have to reach level 60 to get the trait people are going to cry. There isn't enough time to do that. They'd need to extend the event by a factor of 10.

But anyway, I'll wait for more information before I decide to participate or not. It'll take more than a small amount of dilithium to convince me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Free Tibet!
    edited March 2015
    js26568 wrote: »
    Personally I'm waiting for a lot more information to come from Cryptic about this event. The blog was vague - intentionally so - even though players know by now that Cryptic plans these things months in advance. They could easily release detailed information about this - the specific rewards, expected play duration, the level your new character needs to reach to unlock the trait.

If you have to reach level 60 to get the trait people are going to cry. There isn't enough time to do that. They'd need to extend the event by a factor of 10.

But anyway, I'll wait for more information before I decide to participate or not. It'll take more than a small amount of dilithium to convince me.

A factor of 2 or 3 would do the job. A factor of 10 is a small understatement.

I THINK they stated the requirement was to complete the Breen arc. Also keep in mind that the characters in the event will be getting bonus XP that will probably increase each week, possibly in addition to bonus XP for being a Delta Recruit. If they wind up getting quad XP by the end (2x event bonus and, say, 2x per character), hitting the Breen front may be more time consuming that hitting level 60 for characters created that last week.
  • js26568js26568 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    A factor of 2 or 3 would do the job. A factor of 10 is a small understatement.

I THINK they stated the requirement was to complete the Breen arc. Also keep in mind that the characters in the event will be getting bonus XP that will probably increase each week, possibly in addition to bonus XP for being a Delta Recruit. If they wind up getting quad XP by the end (2x event bonus and, say, 2x per character), hitting the Breen front may be more time consuming that hitting level 60 for characters created that last week.

If they only want us to get that far (the Breen missions only require a character to be level 47 to play them all) then it's not too bad. Thinking about it, it'll probably be much quicker to start a KDF character just for this event. It all depends on the specific rewards. As you alluded to, we need information about exactly how much bonus XP they will be giving. Too little and not as many people will bother. Too much and people will blow through it. Double XP sounds about right - it'll put the leveling speed at what it used to be in those pre-DR days.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Free Tibet!
  • adamkafeiadamkafei Member Posts: 6,539 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    To be honest, I'm less concerned about what I get for making the toon and more concerned about the potential repercussions of NOT taking part, for example, these "Delta Recruits" get a special flag in the database, who knows what they might do with that or more importantly what they might do to those without that flag.

Yes, I do have zero faith in Cryptic but considering past practice and the continuing unfriendly feeling from the players about DR... I wouldn't put a non-Delta Recruit character wipe past them.
    ZiOfChe.png?1
  • reynoldsxdreynoldsxd Member Posts: 977 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    voivodje wrote: »

And every one of those trillions ideas will be horrible. Thy will do more damage to the Borg than 7 years of voyager and all Brannon in the world combined.

Elevating the collective as a faction instead of giving them the threshold treatment of "this was a horrible idea" was such a misstep.

The Borg have become the Buttmonkey.
  • horridpersonhorridperson Member Posts: 665 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Originally Posted by voivodje

A trillion? Humour me. Give me three ideas you think would make this work. In my opinion the absence of the Borg from playable species in is best decision Cryptic has made concerning the direction of the game.
    battlegroupad_zps8gon3ojt.jpg

• reynoldsxdreynoldsxd Member Posts: 977 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    adamkafei wrote: »
    To be honest, I'm less concerned about what I get for making the toon and more concerned about the potential repercussions of NOT taking part, for example, these "Delta Recruits" get a special flag in the database, who knows what they might do with that or more importantly what they might do to those without that flag.

Yes, I do have zero faith in Cryptic but considering past practice and the continuing unfriendly feeling from the players about DR... I wouldn't put a non-Delta Recruit character wipe past them.

Charachter wipes are a gaming company's way to ask for getting kickbanned from customer conscience.

Its the ultimate betrayal. Never has this gone over well, and everytime the company suffered massively after such an attempt.
This discussion has been closed.