test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Suggestion for obtaining crystal shards

darramouss1darramouss1 Member Posts: 1,811 Arc User
Hello all.

The Crystalline event is upon us again. And with it comes the grind!!

I'd like to make a suggestion to Cryptic. How about offering shards for sale, maybe via lobi? That way people who a) may not be able to do the event enough times before it ends, and b) people with lots of toons who aren't able to take care of them all, can get enough shards to complete the event?

In the interest of fairness I think that the ability to buy the shards should be made available after the event ends, so that the people that invested their time get to play with the new shiny first.

Additionally, when is the Emergency Conn Officer DOFF going to be made available again?
Post edited by darramouss1 on

Comments

• catliketypingcatliketyping Member Posts: 611
    edited March 2015
    I've done it 8 times with my B'rel, got the Crystal Shard once.

I think I'm going to try with my Mat'Ha or Qib next.

I must not be doing anything that logs as participating when I use my B'rel.
    Nessia (KDF Sci)
    IKS Korrasami (Fleet B'rel Bird of Prey Retrofit T5-U)
  • frontline2042frontline2042 Member Posts: 219 Arc User
    edited March 2015

Are you talking about overall or just for this particular run of the event? Because if it's just this particular run then you only get 1 shard every 20 hours (per character ) regardless of how many times you play the mission
    Ignorance is an obstacle not an excuse
    Let the stupid suffer
  • catliketypingcatliketyping Member Posts: 611
    edited March 2015
    Are you talking about overall or just for this particular run of the event? Because if it's just this particular run then you only get 1 shard every 20 hours (per character ) regardless of how many times you play the mission

Whoops!
    I thought this was just a weekend event.

Okay, then I just had the expected 1/3 Advanced queue success rate for Shards.

I have to log in for 2 weeks? Grrr...
    Nessia (KDF Sci)
    IKS Korrasami (Fleet B'rel Bird of Prey Retrofit T5-U)
  • thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Whoops!
    I thought this was just a weekend event.

Okay, then I just had the expected 1/3 Advanced queue success rate for Shards.

I have to log in for 2 weeks? Grrr...

Do it on normal if you're doing it for shards.

The failed instance bug can only *knocks on wood* hit advanced and higher with the "optional" to not have more than 30% of the ships destroyed by a blast which when failed does not close the map.
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • czertik123czertik123 Member Posts: 1,122 Arc User
    edited March 2015

there is 20h cooldown to get new shard so basicaly 1 per day.
  • geminisierrageminisierra Member Posts: 180 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Hello all.

The Crystalline event is upon us again. And with it comes the grind!!

I'd like to make a suggestion to Cryptic. How about offering shards for sale, maybe via lobi? That way people who a) may not be able to do the event enough times before it ends, and b) people with lots of toons who aren't able to take care of them all, can get enough shards to complete the event?

In the interest of fairness I think that the ability to buy the shards should be made available after the event ends, so that the people that invested their time get to play with the new shiny first.

Additionally, when is the Emergency Conn Officer DOFF going to be made available again?

I agree. between only getting the shard once every 20 hours and multiple toons, would be nice to get the shard another way. After all, they make the needed item for many other events available via lobi store
  • ssbn655ssbn655 Member Posts: 1,894 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    If you can't log on 14 times on an event that lasts nearly a month for an average of 10 minutes to do the event mission why do you feel you deserve to be able to buy it with lobi? Seriously 10 minutes tops for a normal to get a shard is nothing. Oh yeah I have multiple toons and it takes one hour average to do the event on all of them. It's not that big a burden. It is way faster then the Aniversary event or Summer or Winter event!
  • rodentmasterrodentmaster Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Silly mortals. You still think the CE is about giving you a reward? It's a reason to log in. Now, if they gave you the lobi exit, why would you log in every day? You wouldn't, right?

That's why they haven't done it.
  • darramouss1darramouss1 Member Posts: 1,811 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    ssbn655 wrote: »
    If you can't log on 14 times on an event that lasts nearly a month for an average of 10 minutes to do the event mission why do you feel you deserve to be able to buy it with lobi? Seriously 10 minutes tops for a normal to get a shard is nothing. Oh yeah I have multiple toons and it takes one hour average to do the event on all of them. It's not that big a burden. It is way faster then the Aniversary event or Summer or Winter event!

Some people, like myself, travel for work. Other people may have family issues. Others may have health problems. Others may have any number of reasons.

Other special events have the option to purchase the currency needed via lobi. Do you oppose that as you oppose this idea?

It's not about "deserving" as you put it. It's finding a solution that a) makes people happy, and b) provides Cryptic with the option for another sale.

Unless, of course, you're one of those people that wants to have new shiny things and deny others from having the same thing.

Silly mortals. You still think the CE is about giving you a reward? It's a reason to log in. Now, if they gave you the lobi exit, why would you log in every day? You wouldn't, right?

You don't think Cryptic would prefer the option to increase sales?
    edited March 2015
    Unless, of course, you're one of those people that wants to have new shiny things and deny others from having the same thing.

Some people can, sadly, only enjoy something if it is denied to others.
  • rodentmasterrodentmaster Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2015

Or maybe they're raking in tons of cash on their other gimmick sales already. Especially the zen exchange. Have you considered they need to justify their actions to an overlord that owns them, and using their beloved "metrics" (I place this in parethesis because it's an abuse of the actual term the way cryptic handles them) justify them?

It's the same mentality that spawned the "best expansion ever, and the players love it!"

And... when the metrics show that players logged in daily for 2 weeks? Hrm... that looks pretty good on a report, doesn't it?

I know, I know, that's really cynical of me, and part of it is that this is the way that many MMOs do events. Grind is part of the end-game content, and rewards keep you playing. The CE has a tradition to uphold as well, and it really is one of the least grindy end-game missions they've had -- probably stemming from the fact it was around before a lot of this current nonsense -- so overall the TL;DR is: They want you to log in. Whether for ulterior motives or just because they were trying to provide end-game content to keep things interesting. Either way, they want you to log in, and keep coming back.
  • dpsloss88dpsloss88 Member Posts: 765 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    LOL. if the Event worked we could actually grind crystal shards. The Event is Borked.
  • comtedeloach2comtedeloach2 Member Posts: 499 Arc User
    edited March 2015

I have done it 10 times in two days, and got the reward 10 times. Oh, you are probably doing advanced mode, right? the mode everybody has been ******** about being broken and makes doing 5 or more characters a day stupidly hard to do? If you have to grind, why do the mission at advanced, that's just stupid, and get dumber above 5 characters. ya'll ***** about grind, they ya'll go make the grind harder for yourselves so you ***** about the grind some more.....
    edited March 2015
    Some people, like myself, travel for work. Other people may have family issues. Others may have health problems. Others may have any number of reasons.

Other special events have the option to purchase the currency needed via lobi. Do you oppose that as you oppose this idea?

It's not about "deserving" as you put it. It's finding a solution that a) makes people happy, and b) provides Cryptic with the option for another sale.

From this rant it seems you are one of those who are jealous of those like me who take/make the time to do events or craft items to get gear, ships, whatever and instead just complain. Well I guess there is no pleasing you unless Cryptic just hands you stuff without making an effort to get them by doing an event. I for one am happy for a person if they get a shiney it makes me more determined to work at getting it myself through the grind or whatever. But as they say there is no pleasing everybody.
  • herachristherachrist Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited March 2015

That is the fundamental driving force for "hardcore" players, or just MMO snobs in general. In order to actually appreciate an item, it must be obtainable for them but not attainable for anyone else. Their enjoyment of the item is directly impacted by whether or not "scrubs" can also get their scrubby hands on it.

They want to be able to idle in ESD space/Orgrimmar/Sanctum/Lion's Arch with their shiny new ship/mount/sword and have the scrubs stop and look in wonder, while laughing at those who would deign to ask where and how the item was obtained.

"Silly scrub, you will never have this! Muahaha!"

It doesn't actually bother me unless developers give in to that notion, which is why I quit Rift: As a PvP player, I was able to help my friends in raids and offer a decent contribution despite my PvP gear. Not only was I there to help and heal, I never rolled on any of the drops because I didn't need them. Well, the raiders got angry that PvP players had gear that could be used in PvE settings, so Trion went and made PvP gear completely worthless in PvE. And that marked the end of casual raiding for me, the end of being able to help my friends with runs, and eventually the end of my subscription.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Lobi store shards sounds fine to me.

But FYI, for 100% shard success (once a day), go with Normal. It takes 5-10 minutes and you can't fail.

For Advanced, the game is currently dumping new players into runs that have already failed, so you will never get a shard. Maybe they'll fix this next Thursday but for now, expect to run 2 or more Advanced a day to get a shard.
    edited March 2015
    ssbn655 wrote: »
    From this rant it seems you are one of those who are jealous of those like me who take/make the time to do events or craft items to get gear, ships, whatever and instead just complain. Well I guess there is no pleasing you unless Cryptic just hands you stuff without making an effort to get them by doing an event. I for one am happy for a person if they get a shiney it makes me more determined to work at getting it myself through the grind or whatever. But as they say there is no pleasing everybody.

I'll get it for most of my toons as I have shards over from the last event. The toons that won't get it, I must admit that I'm not particularly bothered about missing it.

What interests me is that I made a suggestion that disadvantages nobody in the game, yet you oppose it in favour of the status quo, a status quo that may mean many people missing out for the reasons I listed and more.

Does people missing out on things make you happy? Do you take joy when people can't help but miss out on things? Is fairness when you have an advantage or items that nobody else has? Does equal mean that you have a greater slice of the pie? If so then this is just for you.

Lobi store shards sounds fine to me.

But FYI, for 100% shard success (once a day), go with Normal. It takes 5-10 minutes and you can't fail.

For Advanced, the game is currently dumping new players into runs that have already failed, so you will never get a shard. Maybe they'll fix this next Thursday but for now, expect to run 2 or more Advanced a day to get a shard.

Very true, but there will always be some people that miss out on things because life just happens. I made the suggestion so those people can still have a chance to get this new object. Everyone's circumstances are different, this option may help those who really can't be on enough. I like the idea that everyone can be happy not only because they got a new item but also because everyone else around them is happy, too. :)
  • lunastolunasto Member Posts: 774 Arc User
    edited March 2015

This makes sense, playing for 20 to 30 minutes every day isn't so bad. If you wish to buy all of the latest things and then run off, why even bother playing to begin with? What would be the point?

It would be like buying a year pass to the cinema and just showing up to collect the pass then going home and not watching the movies.
    Lightningdealwithit.gifNew Lunar Republic
    "Where monsters rampage, I'm there to take them down! Where treasure glitters, I'm there to claim it! Where an enemy rises to face me, victory will be mine!" -Lina Inverse
    edited March 2015
    lunasto wrote: »
    This makes sense, playing for 20 to 30 minutes every day isn't so bad. If you wish to buy all of the latest things and then run off, why even bother playing to begin with? What would be the point?

It would be like buying a year pass to the cinema and just showing up to collect the pass then going home and not watching the movies.

I see your point but disagree. You're only going to do the event if you want to use the item. Likewise, you're only going to spend money/lobi on the item if you're going to use it. No matter how you get it, using it means logging on to the game.
    edited March 2015
    I see your point but disagree. You're only going to do the event if you want to use the item. Likewise, you're only going to spend money/lobi on the item if you're going to use it. No matter how you get it, using it means logging on to the game.

I would amend that to "think you might ever want to use".

If you don't want to use it now you may still want to use it in the future and with these one and forever done items you have to do it now.
  • shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited March 2015

I wouldn't be against your suggestion but, lobi can be had freely thru grinding so, it might not make Cryptic as much profit as you might believe.
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    edited March 2015
    They won't sell shards because of one of the OTHER rewards. 50k Dilithium. PER CHARACTER.
    Sorry... but just imagine how broken the DL exchange would be. TOTALLY borked for everyone who is trying to get Zen for DL. The market would be totally flooded, devaluing DL BELOW the dirt. Not to mention the fact that selling shards would be an exploit by being able to slot the extra project after the main to get even MORE DL. And multiply that by all the people with TONS of alts... it would totally destroy the DL exchange. We're talking Chernobyl level devastation, 500/1 exchange rate CAP OUT putting it at ridiculus for F2P people to get Zen via in game means.

As it is, the CE event, as well as the Mirror event, plays havoc with the exchange as is. Luckilly it stabilizes eventually. Selling shards... no. Just no.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    edited March 2015
    I'll get it for most of my toons as I have shards over from the last event. The toons that won't get it, I must admit that I'm not particularly bothered about missing it.

What interests me is that I made a suggestion that disadvantages nobody in the game, yet you oppose it in favour of the status quo, a status quo that may mean many people missing out for the reasons I listed and more.

Does people missing out on things make you happy? Do you take joy when people can't help but miss out on things? Is fairness when you have an advantage or items that nobody else has? Does equal mean that you have a greater slice of the pie? If so then this is just for you.

Very true, but there will always be some people that miss out on things because life just happens. I made the suggestion so those people can still have a chance to get this new object. Everyone's circumstances are different, this option may help those who really can't be on enough. I like the idea that everyone can be happy not only because they got a new item but also because everyone else around them is happy, too. :)

Well you lost any respect I may have had for you with that cheap shot. It is amazing how quickly you turned this into an personal attack. I could say a few things but I won't lower myself to your level. You sure have a lot of bitterness to other players.
  • scarlingscarling Member Posts: 708 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    why cant we just have a good old fashion mmo drop event?