test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

So you have apparently completely ruined Crystalline Catastrophe.

olessiusolessius Member Posts: 0 Arc User
I tried doing CCA a few times today for the first time since the patch, and BOY do I now have a bad taste in my mouth.

First lobby. Mission starts as it should with objectives displaying and that incredibly annoying pop-up blocking my entire screen and then popping up again after I click it away as if it assumes that I did it accidentally.

Business as usual.

Then I begin to look around, see what ships I've got around me, and try to gauge how helpful they will be, but wait, something's missing...

Oh right, the CRYSTALLINE ENTITY hasn't bothered to spawn! Figure that! The entire point of the STF simply doesn't feel like showing up!

Faaaaaantastic.

Either way, I am still determined to finish CCA at least once, so I queue up again and am quickly pulled into a match, where I am relieved to see a Crystalline Entity hanging in the sky, except... well, that's weird. There aren't any objectives, and where the hell are all the Tholians? Well, whatever - LET'S DO THIS.

We pound away at the big TRIBBLE for about 10 minutes before it finally gives up the ghost aaaaannnnddd... nothing. No rewards, no pop-up telling us how we placed, no freaking nothing. I am confused. I am also by this point a bit less determined to finish the STF at least once, but still, I decide to soldier on and queue up one more time.

This time, everything seems to work out. We've got an Entity, we've got objectives and we've got Tholians. I'm FINALLY going to get my Nukara marks. We lay into the CE and around me other players start popping like cosmic zits. I'm staying alive thanks to my Engineer abilities, but I'm losing health more and more quickly, and my shields are getting taken down instantly despite the fact that I've got EptS3 running constantly. However, while me and my teammates are feeling quite battered, the Tholians are barely even breaking a sweat. In fact, despite the people who are dumb enough to fight only the Tholians, very few of them are going down. And more of them keep coming.

We finally get the Entity down to 67% (with about 2 minutes left), it goes into absorbing phase, lets out its big AP TRIBBLE aaaannnndddd three people died you fail lolkkthxbai.

If you're going to keep the fail conditions, you need to at least cut the Tholians' health by two thirds, and you're also going to have to at least double the time-limit. This isn't fun, this isn't rewarding, and frankly, it doesn't demand skill so much as it demands extremely high DPS.

So, yeah. Thanks for destroying CCA.
Post edited by olessius on

Comments

• peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I can confirm that something is wrong. I did it 2 times the past few days in order to test build modifications for upcoming event.

One time we ended up on an empty, perhaps finished map. The second time we had the entity on stage but no Tholian ships as well as no rewards after destroying the crystal.

Next three weeks will be fun.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • gholendhorgholendhor Member Posts: 447 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    This is not a good sign,these bugs usually show up after the event starts.Now we get them before it even begins.
  • lyanaarlyanaar Member Posts: 148 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    One time we ended up on an empty, perhaps finished map. The second time we had the entity on stage but no Tholian ships as well as no rewards after destroying the crystal.

This happens when one of the optionals "dont loose more than 30% ships in blast" fails. The mission is a fail and you get only 10 marks. The timer is not a fail condition btw. it can run out and you still get a success. But loose to many ships in the blast and its an insta fail.
  • deaftravis05deaftravis05 Member Posts: 4,885 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    done 6 runs since patch, no bugs

then again i didn't pug it
  • guilli88guilli88 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    It looks like CE STF doesnt end when it fails, and instead keeps putting people into the failed, and empty stf. The CE does respawn after a while but no reward can be gained (since it failed the first time).

-From my bug report

sig

http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/5451/om71.jpg

It is a peculiar phenomenon that we can imagine events that defy the laws of the universe.
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited March 2015

^^ This. No problem with it whatsoever.

N.B. The DPS channels y'all decry so much, *this* is what they're for!
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • olessiusolessius Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    lyanaar wrote: »
    This happens when one of the optionals "dont loose more than 30% ships in blast" fails. The mission is a fail and you get only 10 marks. The timer is not a fail condition btw. it can run out and you still get a success. But loose to many ships in the blast and its an insta fail.

Oh, yeah, I was aware of that optional. I wasn't exactly surprised by it; I was disappointed that the way the STF currently works had made it so easy to fail. If the timer still isn't a fail condition, then that is at least something. I still feel, however, that the damage the Tholians need to take before going down is WAY too high.
    guilli88 wrote: »
    It looks like CE STF doesnt end when it fails, and instead keeps putting people into the failed, and empty stf. The CE does respawn after a while but no reward can be gained (since it failed the first time).

-From my bug report

Yep, that was what I figured had happened after we failed the STF and the Crystalline Entity just sort of hung around. It keeps releasing fragments which then heal it up, leading players who enter the arena after the STF has failed to face an Entity with full health, which obviously might lead them to believe that it just spawned.
  • lawstanzlawstanz Member Posts: 70 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Here let me fix this for you.

1) Go to Game bug reporting forum.
    2) Find thread on CC bug (this one for example... http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1390111)
    3) Post "I am also having this issue"
    4) Save everyone's time
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited March 2015

meimeitoo wrote: »
    ^^ This. No problem with it whatsoever.

*facepalm*

Yeah, the game is programmed so bugs don't occur when you do private or DPS channel runs. :rolleyes:
    HQroeLu.jpg
    edited March 2015
    lyanaar wrote: »
    guilli88 wrote: »

-From my bug report

Heh thx for info. So players who were not even involved in the original failure of the mission now suffer the consequences. Think this is a totally new one even for DR standards. :o
    animated.gif
    edited March 2015

As workaround for bugs?! :confused:
    animated.gif
    edited March 2015
    shpoks wrote: »
    *facepalm*

Yeah, the game is programmed so bugs don't occur when you do private or DPS channel runs. :rolleyes:

they're a lot better in private matches
  • js26568js26568 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    lawstanz wrote: »

2) Find thread on CC bug (this one for example... http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1390111)
    4) Save everyone's time

What this guy said. Post in the bug forums.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Free Tibet!
  • olessiusolessius Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    lawstanz wrote: »

4) Save everyone's time
    js26568 wrote: »
    What this guy said. Post in the bug forums.

But this wasn't just about the bugs. It was about a sense of dissatisfaction with the changes they've made to the way this particular STF works, and the bugs sort of just played into that. Now, I felt that I made that plenty clear, but having been very active on other forums, I suppose I should've expected some people to skim my post for some part that they can focus on and sloppily dissect just so that they can feel slightly superior.

But, y'know, sure. Great job actually reading what I wrote in the OP, I guess. I'm sorry your flawed interpretation of what I wrote made this thread feel like a waste of your time.
    edited March 2015
    *facepalm*

The bugs reported here are on 'fails.' Ergo, don't fail. :)
    3lsZz0w.jpg
    edited March 2015

I havent failed a cca since I went private
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited March 2015

They are still bugs that need to be fixed and are not working as suposed.
    What you've just said equals saying "The bugs are reported on playing the game. Ergo, don't play STO".
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I havent failed a cca since I went private

Good for you. Here's a cookie.
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
    edited March 2015
    They are still bugs that need to be fixed and are not working as suposed.
    What you've just said equals saying "The bugs are reported on playing the game. Ergo, don't play STO".

No, I'm saying: the alleged bugs don't appear in private instances. :) Not sure why, though.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • rodentmasterrodentmaster Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    It's pretty obvious why... with a pug, the queue creates a room and fills it with players. When you get the countdown timer at the end, the room terminates. However, if it doesn't terminate the queues will keep re-filling empty slots to keep the pug at full capacity.

The bug is that the game doesn't begin the "you must leave the room in 150 seconds" timer upon optional failure. It isn't the only STF that acts that way. It's because they are optionals at heart still. When you join this bugged CCA, it is one that somebody started once, some time ago, and failed. Then the game kept re-filling the seats as people left the room. It never killed the room off. You're not in a bugged room. You're in a failed room that never closed.

When you load a private game, and invite people to it, that game creates a new room for you. When the last people exit that room, regardless of completion level, it kills that room instance. Therefore, no failed instances for you to join, no bug, no glitch. It's secondary to the issue at hand but because of causailty it bypasses the problem.
  • gamer940gamer940 Member Posts: 168 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    No, I'm saying: the alleged bugs don't appear in private instances. :) Not sure why, though.

It's just proof that the "they refuse to fix bugs" crowd don't have a leg to stand on since it's yet more proof that the bugs that they harp on A) don't affect everyone and B) are probably difficult to find the cause and thus can not be fixed immediately on report like they expect.
  • rodentmasterrodentmaster Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    gamer940 wrote: »
    It's just proof that the "they refuse to fix bugs" crowd don't have a leg to stand on since it's yet more proof that the bugs that they harp on A) don't affect everyone and B) are probably difficult to find the cause and thus can not be fixed immediately on report like they expect.

It's no such thing at all. You're really grasping at straws to make such a biased comment.

Matter of fact, I believe something like this happened last CE event as well. They can't even keep their fixed bugs straight when re-running events.

The bug exists -- the game room won't terminate after failure -- and it DOES affect everybody. The difference between pugs and private games is a separate process by which the game closes the room (or not) after the match. The issue isn't difficult to find at all, and even a basic review of LAST YEAR's issues would have shown them what was going on. On top of that, we have bug reports that outline many details about the issue and they still can go ignored for years on end. I kid you not, YEARS on end.
  • coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Well if it were going to go wrong, I suppose it's better it happens before the event and not during.

Though arguably it would stand a better chance of getting fixed if it were during the event.
  • smokeybacon90smokeybacon90 Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    It's probably dumping you into a failed instance that hasn't yet closed.

The only way to be sure this wont happen is to join a private queue, during the event it wont be hard to fill one up from the channels.
    EnYn9p9.jpg
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I saw this problem several weeks ago but it seemed to have cleared up. If it has come back I think it's best to look at the numbers in the queue and don't join when there's one with an odd number like 43 playing.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• crusader2007crusader2007 Member Posts: 1,803 Arc User
    edited March 2015

Here as well..No issues as far as I can tell.
    DUwNP.gif

edited March 2015
    Good for you. Here's a cookie.

Chocolate Chip Oatmeal?
    It's pretty obvious why... with a pug, the queue creates a room and fills it with players. When you get the countdown timer at the end, the room terminates. However, if it doesn't terminate the queues will keep re-filling empty slots to keep the pug at full capacity.

The bug is that the game doesn't begin the "you must leave the room in 150 seconds" timer upon optional failure. It isn't the only STF that acts that way. It's because they are optionals at heart still. When you join this bugged CCA, it is one that somebody started once, some time ago, and failed. Then the game kept re-filling the seats as people left the room. It never killed the room off. You're not in a bugged room. You're in a failed room that never closed.

When you load a private game, and invite people to it, that game creates a new room for you. When the last people exit that room, regardless of completion level, it kills that room instance. Therefore, no failed instances for you to join, no bug, no glitch. It's secondary to the issue at hand but because of causailty it bypasses the problem.

Bingo
    It's probably dumping you into a failed instance that hasn't yet closed.

The only way to be sure this wont happen is to join a private queue, during the event it wont be hard to fill one up from the channels.

so join the 10k dps channel!