test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Time Gate in Crafting. Is it really necessary?

2»

Comments

• sistericsisteric Member Posts: 768 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    You do understand that the zen you are buying with game time was bought with real $ though right.

You haven't not paid Cryptic, you have simply helped drive a game economy that encouraged someone else TO spend $.

That is the point... someone somewhere in the game felt they needed more purple rocks then they had... so they spend $$$ to convert to more purple rocks... which you provided in return for Zen. Zen only enters the system when Cryptic sells it.

Yes. And nothing I said has refuted that. All I have pointed out was that it realistically possible that someone could have not spent any cash on this through direct or indirect methods. I did so for years prior to getting lifetime. And then never spent money again for over a year and half till I did the dil to zen conversion a few months ago.

What some other persons drive to spend money on this game does not impact my desire to spend or not spend on this game.
    Federation: Fleet Admiral Zombee (Alien Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Danic (Vulcan Science)::Fleet Admiral Daniel Kochheiser (Human Engineer)
    KDF: Dahar Master Kan (Borg Klingon Tactical)::Dahar Master Torc (Alien Science)::Dahar Master Sisteric (Gorn Engineer)
    RR-Fed: Citizen Sirroc (Romulan Science)::Fleet Admiral Grell (Alien Engineer)
    RR-KDF: Fleet Admiral Zemo (Reman Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Xinatek (Reman Science)::Fleet Admiral Bel (Alien Engineer)
    TOS-Fed: Fleet Admiral Katem (Andorian Tactical)::Lieutenant Commander Straad (Vulcan Engineer)
    Dom-Fed: Dan'Tar (Jem'Hadar Science)
    Dom-KDF: Kamtana'Solan (Jem'Hadar Science)

CoHost of Tribbles in Ecstasy (Zombee)
  • antoniosalieriantoniosalieri Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    sisteric wrote: »
    Yes. And nothing I said has refuted that. All I have pointed out was that it realistically possible that someone could have not spent any cash on this through direct or indirect methods. I did so for years prior to getting lifetime. And then never spent money again for over a year and half till I did the dil to zen conversion a few months ago.

What some other persons drive to spend money on this game does not impact my desire to spend or not spend on this game.

Right it WAS possible... it no longer is is my point.

If you have ever converted D you have spent money on this game. Cause Cryptic has put a $ value on your game time though D. (many people not you specifically, seem to relish the fact that they haven't "spent a dime" on this game... but they trade D rocks all day for Zen, cause they obviously don't understand the system)

Your right at one time you could ignore the D market... choose to not spend zen... and earn what you needed for yourself to play the game all in game. You could earn your Ec, the small amount of D you needed you could earn no issues... and I would say no one felt forced to buy much of anything off of the Zen market.

In the last while Cryptic has created a lot of Dilihtium sinks... People shouldn't kid themselves they exist to make it more likely that everyone participates in the D->Z exchange. It doesn't matter if your a buyer or a seller Cryptic is getting paid.

If I want to sell something to my friend... and I say "no no I don't want your cash... I want you to trade me a couple game time cards for X game".... have I sold something for real $ ?

Its the core of a laundry system... someone buys one thing and then trades it to someone who then sells it or trades it again. Move the shells around all you like there is still value trading hands. :) In the case of STO Zen is NOT created for free anywhere. It only enters the system when paid for. How many times it changes hands before being spent is irrelevant.

Crytpic has made people want to play the shell game... that is why "Finish Now" exists.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dignity and an empty sack is worth the sack.
  • bwemobwemo Member Posts: 257 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Hus stop dealing with window lickers who dont understand Economics 101 topics or celebrations of peoples lives and go level your sniper :P

Also, can someone direct me to the exp nerf threads, its Monday morning and I need my Jerry Springer-esque fix.
    edited March 2015
    bwemo wrote: »
    Hus stop dealing with window lickers who dont understand Economics 101 topics or celebrations of peoples lives and go level your sniper :P

Also, can someone direct me to the exp nerf threads, its Monday morning and I need my Jerry Springer-esque fix.

Level 14 now... lol

I'll be by later tonight with a diaper on. Going to go trade something of value for time with the wife.. they aren't cheap either. :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sistericsisteric Member Posts: 768 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    My point is that a person could still do it if they just take a patient approach to the game.
    And I only bought the zen because I was impatient. I could have waited till my stipend came in.
    Federation: Fleet Admiral Zombee (Alien Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Danic (Vulcan Science)::Fleet Admiral Daniel Kochheiser (Human Engineer)
    KDF: Dahar Master Kan (Borg Klingon Tactical)::Dahar Master Torc (Alien Science)::Dahar Master Sisteric (Gorn Engineer)
    RR-Fed: Citizen Sirroc (Romulan Science)::Fleet Admiral Grell (Alien Engineer)
    RR-KDF: Fleet Admiral Zemo (Reman Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Xinatek (Reman Science)::Fleet Admiral Bel (Alien Engineer)
    TOS-Fed: Fleet Admiral Katem (Andorian Tactical)::Lieutenant Commander Straad (Vulcan Engineer)
    Dom-Fed: Dan'Tar (Jem'Hadar Science)
    Dom-KDF: Kamtana'Solan (Jem'Hadar Science)

CoHost of Tribbles in Ecstasy (Zombee)
  • bwemobwemo Member Posts: 257 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Going to go trade something of value for time with the wife.. they aren't cheap either. :)

Hopefully not something you only have two of to start with...... :eek:
  • shadoreshadore Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    In terms of immersion it would tame some time to make a phaser beam array. On the other side of the coin, how does putting a pile of dilithium onto the partially constructed phaser make it finish instantly?
  • infydelinfydel Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I just wish there was a confirmation when you click Finish Now... speaking as someone who has accidentally spent vast sums of dil several times.
    Vulcans are MEAN
  • baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    You do understand that the zen you are buying with game time was bought with real $ though right.

You haven't not paid Cryptic, you have simply helped drive a game economy that encouraged someone else TO spend $.

That is the point... someone somewhere in the game felt they needed more purple rocks then they had... so they spend $$$ to convert to more purple rocks... which you provided in return for Zen. Zen only enters the system when Cryptic sells it.

By that logic NOTHING you own in real life has any value at all accept the bills in your pocket. That is as silly as Saying Playstations are free cause you can work and earn the bills to buy them.

By extension cars are also free... so I'm going to start jacking them, they afterall have no real value.

I have to say though the above 2 posts are exactly why Cryptic has such an easy time making money of this game. Sometimes I wish I could get more Trek fans to take me on as there personal financial advisor. Seems they would be easy marks. ;)

by your logic anything that takes time therefore is not free...****ting is not free, masturbating is not free, because I "invested" my private time to do it.

If I spend my private time playing a game, I do not consider it wasted because I could have earned money doing something else.
    If I advance in a game (I payed nothing for) during that time I consider it free advancements.

For me (and presumably many other people playing f2p games), a game that costs me nothing to play, and I can get, achieve anything it has to offer without using my credit card or bank ID is free...even if it would take a lot less time if I payed for it.

I understand that you look at the subject differently, but differently isn't neccesarely right. I know it seems right for you and the people inside your "opinion sphere", but maybe outside of it is viewed differently again.
    Go pro or go home
  • bobtheskull99bobtheskull99 Member Posts: 706 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    baudl wrote: »
    by your logic anything that takes time therefore is not free...****ting is not free, masturbating is not free, because I "invested" my private time to do it.

more crudely put than I would have but basically this^
    edited March 2015

If I spend my private time playing a game, I do not consider it wasted because I could have earned money doing something else.
    If I advance in a game (I payed nothing for) during that time I consider it free advancements.

For me (and presumably many other people playing f2p games), a game that costs me nothing to play, and I can get, achieve anything it has to offer without using my credit card or bank ID is free...even if it would take a lot less time if I payed for it.

I understand that you look at the subject differently, but differently isn't neccesarely right. I know it seems right for you and the people inside your "opinion sphere", but maybe outside of it is viewed differently again.

This game however isn't a back lot baseball diamond or something. Its a game created by a company... you are not just doing your own thing. What you do in the game effects others. If you choose to buy others peoples zen you are trading them $ for Fake currency. There is nothing to interpret, no other way of seeing it. Zen is paid for. If I convert money to something like Bit Coin and then pay you in bit coin... I am still paying you. In the case of STO Zen has a real value... it has a hard set value that converts to American or Canadian or Euro $s.

In this thread we where talking about why there is a time gate... and as many have pointed out, a time gate is normal... however excessive ones exist in this game for no reason other then to have you spend Purple Rocks to speed them up. (the purple rocks have a $ value). You can choose to not see it that way but you are 100% wrong.

Understand what Currency is.... Merriam says this "circulation as a medium of exchange" like it or not Dilithium is allowed to be circulated, that makes it a currency. It is allowed to be exchanged for something called Zen. (which is NOT a currency) Zen isn't a currency at all, it is a representation of real world $.

So I don't deny that YOU are not spending any real world $... that isn't the point. The point is things you do in game (spend your time and earn game currency in the form of D) can be, and are traded by most people for $ in the form of Zen.

If you want to think about it in a real world way... Take something like Bit coins.
    If I want X service and someone is willing to sell me it in bit coin... IF I take a few weeks and mine a coin, is that coin there for free ?
    If I mine 2 coins... and buy 2... and spend 4... are they all equal value, or are they all by extension free ?

This stuff is basic economics. Yes you can play the game and spend nothing but your time... the point is Cryptic has a system setup that encourages others to trade you, your time for $. The entire point of the time gates and the Finish now buttons, is to encourage people to spend money... or do things themselves that encourage others to spend money.
    more crudely put than I would have but basically this^

If someone is paying to watch... then the act has a value... so its not a good example. lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • bobtheskull99bobtheskull99 Member Posts: 706 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    This game however isn't a back lot baseball diamond or something. Its a game created by a company... you are not just doing your own thing. What you do in the game effects others. If you choose to buy others peoples zen you are trading them $ for Fake currency. There is nothing to interpret, no other way of seeing it. Zen is paid for. If I convert money to something like Bit Coin and then pay you in bit coin... I am still paying you. In the case of STO Zen has a real value... it has a hard set value that converts to American or Canadian or Euro $s.

In this thread we where talking about why there is a time gate... and as many have pointed out, a time gate is normal... however excessive ones exist in this game for no reason other then to have you spend Purple Rocks to speed them up. (the purple rocks have a $ value). You can choose to not see it that way but you are 100% wrong.

Understand what Currency is.... Merriam says this "circulation as a medium of exchange" like it or not Dilithium is allowed to be circulated, that makes it a currency. It is allowed to be exchanged for something called Zen. (which is NOT a currency) Zen isn't a currency at all, it is a representation of real world $.

So I don't deny that YOU are not spending any real world $... that isn't the point. The point is things you do in game (spend your time and earn game currency in the form of D) can be, and are traded by most people for $ in the form of Zen.

If you want to think about it in a real world way... Take something like Bit coins.
    If I want X service and someone is willing to sell me it in bit coin... IF I take a few weeks and mine a coin, is that coin there for free ?
    If I mine 2 coins... and buy 2... and spend 4... are they all equal value, or are they all by extension free ?

This stuff is basic economics. Yes you can play the game and spend nothing but your time... the point is Cryptic has a system setup that encourages others to trade you, your time for $. The entire point of the time gates and the Finish now buttons, is to encourage people to spend money... or do things themselves that encourage others to spend money.

If someone is paying to watch... then the act has a value... so its not a good example. lol

you seem to be confusing "free" with "worthlessness", just because something has value does not mean it cannot be obtained for free

if I give you a dollar for free, does that make the dollar worthless?

dilithium obtained purely in game is free, dilithium payed for with your own money (indirectly) is not free.....it isn't (as you seem to suggest, "all or nothing"
    edited March 2015
    you seem to be confusing "free" with "worthlessness", just because something has value does not mean it cannot be obtained for free

if I give you a dollar for free, does that make the dollar worthless?

dilithium obtained purely in game is free, dilithium payed for with your own money (indirectly) is not free.....it isn't (as you seem to suggest, "all or nothing"

You are right it is 100% free IF you never ever trade it to some one else. If you have sold Purple rocks to someone for zen your involved in the money exchange system.

I am not saying you have claimed to "not be giving money to Crytpic" I was just making the point that people saying that are full of it. If you have sold purple rocks you have sold them to Cryptic. They sold the zen to the person that traded it to you for the purple rocks.

Again the point of the tread is time gates... and we got into finish now buttons. They exist to make it more likely for YOU to buy Rocks... and for people with spare to sell them as it keeps the exchange value up, and makes that tempting. This isn't a single player game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Then how do I keep getting it without spending any money?

Your the one with issues if you honestly think playing STO has monetary value. This isn't one of those games where you can convert in game currency into real world money.

That's not what he's getting at. There's a basic concept that says.... TIME is a "cost". Since you spent an hour doing one thing, you no longer have that hour to use on other things.

So, sure - you didn't spend any money to get that dil. You did spend time. Sure, it may be time that you'd set aside for entertainment or leisure, but it's still spent & gone.

(I remember similar discussions about crafting on the WoW forums. People saying that the whatever they made was "free" because they'd farmed up all the materials instead of buying them off the auction. And the reply was always "no, that pile of mats wasn't free - it cost the X hours that you spent farming it.")

In the end, it all depends on how much you value your time. /shrug

(Which, honestly, is where a lot of f2p games hang out - the poor kid with lots of time on his hands can play for hours to get stuff. And the rich lawyer who has lots of cash but little time, can spend some of that money to reach the same goal. XP Boosters, "finish now", resource packs, that kind of stuff. "Paying for convenience". I've seen that in some full-price console JRPGs the last few years, too - boost pack DLC, so that adults with more money & less time can still play the games they enjoyed when they had more time on their hands.

At least, that's the theory. It's easy to fall over the line into p2w and other issues.)
  • dukeskyloaferdukeskyloafer Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    There's an old saying that time = money, and there's a lot of truth to that.

In STO, time = money = dilithium. Dilithium is basically the currency that represents your play time. It has the added bonus that you can also spend money instead of time to get dilithium. You're basically paying someone else for their time.

So, when you have something like crafting that requires either time or dilithium to finish, the two are essentially equal. You're basically converting your dilithium back into time to finish a project early.

The difference is that you earn time passively, since you could just wait for the project to finish while you do something else. You have to actively spend time to earn dilithium (doing specific activities). The nice thing about time is that you can spend it on more than one thing at once, such as crafting, doffing, and earning dilithium, so it truly is the most efficient currency.
  • rodentmasterrodentmaster Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Don't bother trying to explain it. 5 pages of them just twisting things around based on their ignorance of economic theory and sophmoric understanding of value/possessions simply illustrate that they're the kind of suckers that cryptic wants in this game.

THEY are why DR is the fiasco we currently suffer through. They are what cryptic wants. I won't throw any names, but let's just say they'll soon be parted from their money.
  • jerichoredoranjerichoredoran Member Posts: 195 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    There's an old saying that time = money, and there's a lot of truth to that.

That's the root. Time is never free. In that matter playing a game is just the same as working a job. You invest time and physical and/or mental resources into getting something done and earn a revenue for doing that.
    The (interpretational) difference comes with the payment. The job pays money, the game pays fun/relaxation/whatever.

In most games there are some active market traders. These ppl need to give tradable items some value. As long they have the finances to do that, the economy stays mostly healthy.
    The everything-i-farmed-is-free ppl easily undercut every price because they will always make a profit in their thinking. To many of them can destroy markets.

It also happens in real world. Every day. Sometimes with extended consequences, sometimes not.
    You work an hour overtime but "forget" to write it down. Your pushing your collegues (current and future) to do the same. You rip the hour overtime of its value. No matter if you had fun in that hour your collegue might not and still wont be payed for it anymore.
  • chipg7chipg7 Member Posts: 1,577 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    If you believe Dilihtum is free and doesn't have a zen value.... there in lies the problem with the collection of suckers that tend to play this game.

I'm not arguing that dil can't be direct-converted to ZEN. I'm arguing that the action of conversion is player choice. And by default, dil is a free currency generated by in-game activity. So that's where I draw the line - if the Finish Now button was for ZEN I'd be angry, but because it's asking for the free currency (which yes, does have a ZEN conversion rate) I really don't mind.
    By that logic NOTHING you own in real life has any value at all accept the bills in your pocket. That is as silly as Saying Playstations are free cause you can work and earn the bills to buy them.

The bills in my pocket are real, and the dil in the game is a virtual, fake, freely-generated currency. And yes, it is freely generated, because especially with the new reward structure I'm earning dil as I play the game - which I would be doing and enjoying anyways.

Either way, comparing dil to real money is not valid - it's a locked, virtual currency that's stuck in the game. If you want to convert dil to ZEN to groceries... by all means, good luck to ya :rolleyes:
    If you have ever converted D you have spent money on this game. Cause Cryptic has put a $ value on your game time though D. (many people not you specifically, seem to relish the fact that they haven't "spent a dime" on this game... but they trade D rocks all day for Zen, cause they obviously don't understand the system)

But... that's exactly what it means. A player who only uses the free in-game currency to purchase C-Store items is, in fact, doing the best free-to-play they can. And it's balanced not by some maniacal laundering scheme, but by players who wish to spend more in the game.

Either way, the ability to buy ZEN with dil is probably the single silliest thing we players can complain about. It allows Player A to 'buy' items, using money that Player B has added into the game's economy. Heaven forbid that a system which allows players to get all the shiny goodies they want without spending their own money exists... :P
    sisteric wrote: »
    My point is that a person could still do it if they just take a patient approach to the game.
    And I only bought the zen because I was impatient. I could have waited till my stipend came in.

Yep, therein lies the economics of the game. STO isn't pay-to-win, it's pay-to-speed up. And if you're willing to be patient, the game in no way forces you to spend money. Most things that are time-gated, such as crafting or upgrading, I'll just set it up before I go to bed and it's usually done by the morning.

But same here, I'll spend a few bucks now and then. It's a F2P game, and a few dollars from me now and then is one of the sources of income they depend on to keep the game running.