test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Giving up on Ancient Power Cells

wanghunglo42wanghunglo42 Member Posts: 170 Arc User
I'll blame myself if it's me playing like a newb, but I can't seem to earn them for WEEKS now whether playing in space (Borg Disconnected -Adv -Elite) or on the ground (Bug Hunt -Adv -Elite).

Frustration level HIGH! Is it ME, or are you all having similar experiences?

Got any good tips on beating those PvE's? Best equipment? Best tactics?

For Bug Hunt, I most win with my engineer toon. But right now I'm using my science toon and she dies left and right. She's an Orion, so sometimes I use "seduce" on the flying bugs and other powerful enemies to great effect. But other ideas welcome!

For Borg Disconnected I use my maxed out Vo-Quv carrier. My science boffs use abilities like tractor beam, gravity well, hazard emitter (since you can't liberate a Borg while your ship has a plasma fire burning), jam sensors (to placate them while I liberate Borg)...and of course two hangars worth of small craft to distract them (Elite Qaw'dun and Elite To-duj). I use gravity well to pin enemies well away from where I intend to attempt liberation.

Or maybe the devs just need to invent a way for me to earn Ancient Power Cells WITHOUT depending on other players or random chance! How about THAT?

Thoughts?

"As with all living things, each according to his gifts."
Post edited by wanghunglo42 on

Comments

• virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    You can get two a day on Kobali Prime.

At the Gates, open mission from having the Breaking The Wall mission.
    The Last Stand, open mission from having the With Our Last Breath mission.

"open mission" meaning that other players might be doing it as well and folks can work together to get it done. You can pick the missions up from the mission replay console.

Wham, bam, done...two a day.
  • tehbubbalootehbubbaloo Member Posts: 2,003 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    i got nearly all my cells in korfez. i know its rated 'elite', but i dont think it is actually all that elite tbh.
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,309 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    You can get two a day on Kobali Prime.

At the Gates, open mission from having the Breaking The Wall mission.
    The Last Stand, open mission from having the With Our Last Breath mission.

"open mission" meaning that other players might be doing it as well and folks can work together to get it done. You can pick the missions up from the mission replay console.

Wham, bam, done...two a day.

Close. The patch notes states that the APC is limited to 1 a day. There are two missions, but one can only grab one Ancient Power Cell from them each day.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • theolopboytheolopboy Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I've been pulling 2 a day, 1 from each mission. Not sure if there is an easy way to start them or they are on a timer, currently hopping instances to find them.
    Correct forum join and LTS subscriber from date : 27/01/2010
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    questerius wrote: »
    Close. The patch notes states that the APC is limited to 1 a day. There are two missions, but one can only grab one Ancient Power Cell from them each day.

This is what the notes say...
    Ancient Power Cells have been added as a once per day reward to the following missions on the Kobali Prime Adventure Zone:
    ---At the Gates
    ---The Last Stand

...and you can get the reward once a day from each mission.

Um...just like it says.
    theolopboy wrote: »
    I've been pulling 2 a day, 1 from each mission. Not sure if there is an easy way to start them or they are on a timer, currently hopping instances to find them.

You can grab the two missions I mentioned from the mission replay console and then head up there. Having the two missions triggers the open missions for the APC daily rewards.
  • theolopboytheolopboy Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Didn't realise there was a replay console, I'm guessing it's near General Wonttellyouthetruth in the city, guess I need to explore a bit more. Ta
    Correct forum join and LTS subscriber from date : 27/01/2010
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited March 2015
    They can be easily had in Kobali Prime. On the other hand, Kobali Prime is so annoying, I did the whole story missions once, and I refuse to beam down again. Get bored to hell compared to the Dyson Sphere BZ.
  • nyxadrillnyxadrill Member Posts: 1,242 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    theolopboy wrote: »
    Didn't realise there was a replay console, I'm guessing it's near General Wonttellyouthetruth in the city, guess I need to explore a bit more. Ta

Facing General Q'nellyface its to your left. In a bit of an alcove area.
    server_hamster6.png
  • rodentmasterrodentmaster Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    lucho80 wrote: »
    They can be easily had in Kobali Prime. On the other hand, Kobali Prime is so annoying, I did the whole story missions once, and I refuse to beam down again. Get bored to hell compared to the Dyson Sphere BZ.

QFT.

Just... QFT.
  • alex284alex284 Member Posts: 366 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I'll blame myself if it's me playing like a newb, but I can't seem to earn them for WEEKS now whether playing in space (Borg Disconnected -Adv -Elite) or on the ground (Bug Hunt -Adv -Elite).

Frustration level HIGH! Is it ME, or are you all having similar experiences?

Got any good tips on beating those PvE's? Best equipment? Best tactics?

For Bug Hunt, I most win with my engineer toon. But right now I'm using my science toon and she dies left and right. She's an Orion, so sometimes I use "seduce" on the flying bugs and other powerful enemies to great effect. But other ideas welcome!

For Borg Disconnected I use my maxed out Vo-Quv carrier. My science boffs use abilities like tractor beam, gravity well, hazard emitter (since you can't liberate a Borg while your ship has a plasma fire burning), jam sensors (to placate them while I liberate Borg)...and of course two hangars worth of small craft to distract them (Elite Qaw'dun and Elite To-duj). I use gravity well to pin enemies well away from where I intend to attempt liberation.

Or maybe the devs just need to invent a way for me to earn Ancient Power Cells WITHOUT depending on other players or random chance! How about THAT?

Thoughts?

I haven't played borg disco in a while, nor bug hunt, but last night I decided to get the delta rep deflector and played bug hunt a few times and got them quickly. Heck, I didn't even change my traits to ground. Not to show off or anything, but to show that it is possible to get them easily through queues.

I can't help much on ground because you don't give much info. Do you have autofire turned on? Do you have a decent weapon? Do you have resistance to toxic and physical damage?

I spend more time in space, though. My first instinct is that your DPS isn't high enough, and that's why you're looking at creative ways to stop the borgs instead of just killing them. Even then, tractor beams and grav well won't help do anything in borg disco because they just keep the borg near you. Jam sensors doesn't placate long enough or enough of the borgs. HE is good, though. Killing them would be more efficient, or at least use your carrier pets to distract them.

BUT! You don't need high DPS to do borg disco, you just need a decent team and a decent plan. Join a fleet or a publicelitestf channel team and say you'll "free" instead of aggro. Your job will be to free ships and *resist* the urge to shoot at things. Launch carrier pets, use evasive maneuvers if they fire at you, whatever... just don't shoot back. You should be able to solo a zone in waves 2 and 3 (when the undine and the borg and the voth will fight amongst themselves).
  • adamkafeiadamkafei Member Posts: 6,539 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    If your eng toon does well in BHE and you sci doesn't, try grabbing one of the old medic kits off the exchange, I should imagine they are rather cheap nowadays, play in the same way but instead of tanking with shields, you do it with HP. My sci almost never dies on ground, only recently I beat 3 players at once in a melee pvp with no shields or armour.
    ZiOfChe.png?1
  • alex284alex284 Member Posts: 366 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    i got nearly all my cells in korfez. i know its rated 'elite', but i dont think it is actually all that elite tbh.

I agree that it's not as hard as some other elites (HSE, VEE, VCE...), but you're not going to finish Korfez in a vo'quv with jam sensors and tractor beams. Not unless your team could do it without you.
  • captainpugwash1captainpugwash1 Member Posts: 908 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Thanx for the info,,,,,:)
  • hmallow42hmallow42 Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I used to have no problem getting APCs by running BHE, but they must have adjusted the difficulty of BHE quite a bit at some point in the last couple of months, because (like OP) I've found it to be much, much harder of late.
  • blessedladyboyblessedladyboy Member Posts: 349 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    hmallow42 wrote: »
    I used to have no problem getting APCs by running BHE, but they must have adjusted the difficulty of BHE quite a bit at some point in the last couple of months, because (like OP) I've found it to be much, much harder of late.

Yeah its definitely been buffed, used to do bug hunt elite all the time and it was easy peasy, now I'm struggling in advanced! (in pugs).
  • millimidgetmillimidget Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    For Bug Hunt, I most win with my engineer toon. But right now I'm using my science toon and she dies left and right.
    Nukara rep shields (the ones which provide +10% healing), plus the Hyper-compressed cryo launcher (also nukara rep), plus either the nukara strikeforce elite armor or the 8723 counter-command exo-armor (has physical/toxic/psionic resits). I use the nukara strikeforce elite full-auto rifle (forget what it's called offhand) as my second weapon, and a tactical kit I picked up from one of the rep stores (+toxic/+psionic resistances).

That pretty much covers the gear. Fill out your kit with modules that buff the team, either by buffing the team directly, or by debuffing the enemy. I have no idea what science modules provide these effects.
    "Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society." - Aristotle
  • wanghunglo42wanghunglo42 Member Posts: 170 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Thanks all! Good info! So far I found my best option to be those repeatable missions on Kobali Prime (Breaking the Wall and With Our Last Breath). Have been racking up Ancient Power Cells since then!!

"As with all living things, each according to his gifts."
  • generaljestergeneraljester Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Get a Bio-Molecular Kit from the Rep store for 8472 these offer you +25 Toxic and Psionic Resistance cost just over 3k dil but worth it imo, fit them with appropriate kit modules, a Enviroment suit not the Solanae ones as these dont offer Toxic Resistance.

The Counter Command Ground set or Undine Biotech Armor all offer you decent stacked resistance.

Add into that the trait from Surface Tension, Fluidic Antigens

Set your ground traits and your pretty much good to go them i have my tox res at about 55-70% depending on what toon i run and even on my squishier ones its rare i fail unless the teams really bad.
  • oneratsonerats Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015

Well, here's the first problem. There is a way to earn them without relying on other players or random chance. Rely on yourself. Improve enough, and you can generally carry most korfez teams. It's really pretty easy, and hardly rates an advanced tag.. let alone elite. The enemies just don't hit that hard or take long to kill compared to other elites.

There's also the option of improving yourself and still relying on other players, which is even better. The key here is running with players who are also in it to win, rather than.. well, I don't know what. Do whatever?

As others said, you're not on an advanced/elite level running that ship.. let alone with that loadout. I'm no expert on klingon ships, but the Vo'Quv looks like it's got about the worst stats I can imagine a T5 ship having for dps.. short of trading that Lt Comm tac for a Lt tac and ensign sci. I'm not familiar with the Qaw'dun, but the To-duj is similar to a federation peregrine.. it's utterly useless. The elite version has something like a turret and rapid fire 1. Terrible. Looking up the Qaw'dun, it doesn't look bad. Frigate pet, rapid fire 3, high yield 3.. looks alright.
  • welcome2earfwelcome2earf Member Posts: 1,746 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    BHA is doable, best when in a mixed group. I notice all-tac groups suffer wipes more often UNLESS they are all CRACK players with great gears and traits.

Trait up for Toxic resist. this is important.
    Trait up for defense; try the trait "Ironsides". I dont think its too expensive. There's also a "savior" trait that helps you and others when healing. use it for this map as well.

Kit up with Crowd Control abilities if you're a sci - the lockdown ability (I forgot its name) and the Hydrothermic field are important for that. Get the doff that adds projectiles to it. Also use the doff that adds a debuff when using sci abilities.

As for weps, on this map I can't stress this enough - Keep ONE weapon for Crowd Control/Pushing back the bugs. To this end, a Pulsewave. Keep another weapon for exploits that come up for the flying bugs and the big frakkers - I would encourage a split beam rifle as there is NO warmup on the secondary and it can knock out/damage several bugs at once.

Just spitballing some quick tips off the top of the head that should help.
    T93uSC8.jpg
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    After they added the cells to the Kobali ground missions. I'm finally getting a chance to get some. Where I want some of the Delta gear. Now I can finally get them. They are easy to get on the ground action. It will just take time to add up since they are limited.

I have almost enough for the compression phaser rifle I wanted.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Bug Hunt Elite is by far the quickest, biggest, easiest way to get lots of Delta Marks, Elite Dil Rewards, TWO APCs, higher end R&D reward packs, Salvaged Technology items. It is the EASIEST "Elite" content in this game.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • prierinprierin Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I was gonna say - Kobali Prime has some soloable runs that awards APCs....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    You will forever be missed and never forgotten.
  • futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I have over a hundred of them :/ And that's after using 20 or 30 and grinding a bunch more into dil.

BHE is just about the only fun I've had with DR content.
  • prierinprierin Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I have over a hundred of them :/ And that's after using 20 or 30 and grinding a bunch more into dil.

BHE is just about the only fun I've had with DR content.

I have yet to do that run... any particular ground gear you suggest? I don't have the Cochrane Shotgun...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    You will forever be missed and never forgotten.
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    prierin wrote: »
    I have yet to do that run... any particular ground gear you suggest? I don't have the Cochrane Shotgun...

In very generic terms, these kind of things help:

- Physical & Toxic damage resists. Some people have said there's Psionic Dmg that the enemy does, but I've copy & pasted my combat log and have not seen any of them do Psionic. The "fly" looking things (Pestilants) will come in and do HOLD attacks on you but that's not Psionic Dmg and resisting HOLDs are a different thing altogether. When those "flies" zoom in and do HOLD on you, they spike you with high powered Toxic based attacks, not Psionic.

- Team Support abilities that provide resists, heals: The idea is to keep everyone alive more easily

- AOE attacks are handy. You'll find that you are being swarmed on a regular basis. You'll find AOE attacks, esp close ranged AOE attacks, can carry you far.

- Clearing hazards, debuffs is very handy, esp if you can do it on a team-wide scale.

- Do NOT stand in the Toxic Pools.

- Kirk'ers die first. Do not stray far from the group.

- On a related token, do not clump up unless you're under the protection of something like an Engineer's Forcefield Dome and DOFF'ed Cover Shield that provides TONS of extra resists. Without that degree of extra resists/protection, you'll get those AOE Toxic attacks from the Ravagers and you're all going to hurt that much worse at the same time.

Whatever Captain class you bring in, whatever kit, modules, weapons, traits to attain these qualities, is up to you. There's plenty of ways on being very useful for the team with all 3 Captain classes.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    prierin wrote: »

In general:
    • Toxic resistance, both from armor and traits
    • Physical resistance, too, but that's easier to get
    • Control resistance, from skills and traits
    • Good AoE gun
    • If you're an engineer, mines are a must
    • If you're sci, team heals/cleanses and AoE attacks
    • If you're tac, team buffs and AoEs
    • Timing abilities like Strike Team etc for the tougher groups
  • jellico1jellico1 Member Posts: 2,719
    edited March 2015
    counter command armor upgrade it to mk-14 it has toxic and psi resists

Delta shield resists shield drain upgrade to mk-14
    Delta weapon adds almost 200 hp to your character

the best weapon you can buy/earn/craft

I like the plasma auto rifle crafted my own to epic it mowes the bugs down or burns them to a crisp

get every trait that gives you toxic and psi resists

spec up in the commando tree its very useful

I pug BHE all the time with better than a 90% success rate and the only real fun ive got from DR
    Jellico....Engineer ground.....Da'val Romulan space Sci
    Saphire.. Science ground......Ko'el Romulan space Tac
    Leva........Tactical ground.....Koj Romulan space Eng

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse