test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What would benefit this title...

the1tiggletthe1tigglet Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
Is if it went console and before people argue here's why....

Unlike the PC gamers the console gamers aren't plagued by a large number of players who have too much money and not enough brains to know when they are getting a raw deal. In the pc world right now there are tons of players out there who think it's perfectly fine to have to pay to progress and these titles are being converted in order to catch those players in the pc world....

However, the console players don't play that game, that market's gamers are still very much in control of the situation with their games. Games that are built poorly economically soon discover the hard way that console players aren't stupid with their money. They know a raw deal when they see one and they aren't afraid to let you know about it!

It's happened to every major mmo to come out on console every single one of them so far has had to make major changes to their drop system to their progression system and remove alot of these Korean pay to progress models that the PC gaming community thinks is perfectly fine.

NWO is in beta but I can almost guarantee you that the console players will reach end game on that game and realize the raw deal going on with drops and with enchants and they'll have to make a change. The last major title to have to make changes to the RNG loot system was Destiny.

I hope STO follows in the footsteps of NWO because they'll get a rather rude awakening when they arrive on the console scene and I do believe it's coming because since I've been a player for a while on NWO pc I've seen many bad decisions come to STO from the NWO pc design I believe it will be the next step for STO development because they've just about finished gutting the design from NWO and placed it in STO and it will soon be time to do what NWO is doing right now. Mark my words the changes are coming once they reach live on console ;)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    The problem with STO as a console game is the controls. Neverwinter has been designed for console support from the start, but STO has been designed around the standard keyboard and mouse system. Shooter Mode is better for consoles, but it is still a mess.
  • Options
    edwardianededwardianed Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Unlike the PC gamers the console gamers aren't plagued by a large number of players who have too much money and not enough brains to know when they are getting a raw deal.

Well, there's your first mistake...
  • Options
    gonaliusgonalius Member Posts: 893 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Whine, rant, complain

Funny, my opinion of console gamers is that they are only too willing to throw money at games.
  • Options
    askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    starkaos wrote: »
    The problem with STO as a console game is the controls. Neverwinter has been designed for console support from the start, but STO has been designed around the standard keyboard and mouse system. Shooter Mode is better for consoles, but it is still a mess.

Actually, Champs had basic xbox controller support as they were considering consoles back then. Since STO used champs engine (considering it's their own engine) STO has some basic xbox controller support built in so yes, it could be adapted as well and I believe they are working on porting it as is.
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

• Options
    dgdolphdgdolph Member Posts: 592 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Is if it went console and before people argue here's why....

blablabla

stopped reading here.

Console = casual = boring non competetive game play = no skill & no brain required = bull**** I can play on my mobile phone while sitting on the train to work

The only thing that would benefit this game is a major update to PvP + a lot of bug fixes + a lot of balance fixes.

Also, remove any kind of grind and make this game a lot harder!
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    skollulfr wrote: »
    wow. you could just ctrl-v the term "master race" a few hundred times.
    one thing about consoles, they force proper and well thought out, efficient use of the gui.

maybe in future instead of vomiting up that pc master race stuff you can look at the two from an objective mechanical perspective.

the do a direct pvp update now and the break a lot of the pve.
    there are base prerequisites in the npc design and ai & difficulty setting that need addressed as foundational issues to both pvp and pve, before they start to push pvp or difficulty.

or else we will get another situation with 500k hp ships spamming eptE with an ai that lacks the ability to apply the acctivated abilities.

completely agree with you here. LOL funny how the only people to reply to this thread save for a couple are mostly people who A: can't stand someone pointing out the flaws with their precious B: can't stand that console gamers have more control over their markets or C: can't stand that the console/pc combo might actually be the future of all MMOs.

Did you notice just how many of them completely stopped reading so they didn't even read the points I made? smh

By replying in such a way they've basically proven my point about the state of the PC gamer in the MMO genre. Can't even spend five minutes reading a forum post much less five seconds realizing just how duped they've become to take everything for granted and allow these companies to take life changing IPs and basically urinate all over them with the way they've treated them.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    c
    Did you notice just how many of them completely stopped reading so they didn't even read the points I made? smh

There is no sense in reading all your points cuz the idea of porting STO to consoles fails at the very beginning of the gameplay issues. Tell me how to use my 40+ custom keybinds (that I really need for arena) on a xbox controller and we can start talking about consoles...

Also, almost all you point are wrong (yes I did read your post now).
    Unlike the PC gamers the console gamers aren't plagued by a large number of players who have too much money and not enough brains to know when they are getting a raw deal.
    It really is the other way around. Games that are released for both, PC and Console, usually are more expensive on console while they are better on PC (better gfx, better controls, more patches, customizations, mods)

Soooo...to me, looks like it's the console gamers that have too much money and not enough brains :rolleyes:
    It's happened to every major mmo to come out on console every single one of them so far has had to make major changes to their drop system to their progression system and remove alot of these Korean pay to progress models that the PC gaming community thinks is perfectly fine.
    STO used to be different in the past when it also was a PC game. We're talking about cryptic and PWE - their games would be insane p2w grind bull**** even on consoles.

Today most Content in STO can already be played just by hammering your spacebar. That's silly enough, PLS PLS PLS do not dump it down any further!
  • Options
    disposeableh3r0disposeableh3r0 Member Posts: 1,927 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Punctuation. Always a benefit in titles.
    As a time traveller, Am I supposed to pack underwear or underwhen?

Not everything you see on the internet is true - Abraham Lincoln

Occidere populo et effercio confractus
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    askray wrote: »
    Actually, Champs had basic xbox controller support as they were considering consoles back then. Since STO used champs engine (considering it's their own engine) STO has some basic xbox controller support built in so yes, it could be adapted as well and I believe they are working on porting it as is.

It is not about supporting gamepads technically, it's about that you have 3-4 filled power bar rows that you all need to use if you want to play the game competitively or succeed in Advanced or Elite content.

Controllers just don't have enough buttons to cover all of this.

Neverwinter Online however was designed with a clear limit on how many powers you had, and that limit is much lower than STO's ever was. It is much more "tightly" designed in this regard.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited February 2015

Your so-called 'point' was a dig you made, in your opening sentence, towards PC gamers, who, according to you, are "plagued by a large number of players who have too much money and not enough brains to know when they are getting a raw deal." With that comment you A) disqualified yourself from being taken seriously; B) disqualified yourself from saying anything thereafter about folks who voice they don't like consoles.

The End.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    macro's.
    a significant number of people in this game have done things like assign all their heals to one key
    .hell, a lot of people have outright assigned all their abilities to spacebar.
    I was talking about macros! I'm using more than 40 macros and binds for PvP.

5 binds for: select teammate x, apply soft shield heal
    5 binds for: select teammate x, apply hard shield heal
    5 binds for: select teammate x, apply soft hull heal
    5 binds for: select teammate x, apply hard hull heal
    4 binds for: select teammate's target
    1 basic chain
    1 fake alpha buff
    1 full alpha buff
    1 set focus target
    1 select focus target
    1 select focus target + exec tray xyz (uni consoles, jump, etc) + stop moving + fire all, etc etc

PLUS
    ~20 Skills I have in my tray that I'd like to activate manually sometimes.

That's only my binds for a Tac. You might end up with a lot more when playing a Sci. So much for actual game complexity... If you play a MMO competetively, you will need a macro or bind for almost any possible situation.

Now, tell me how to do that with a typical console controller :rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    dgdolph wrote: »
    There is no sense in reading all your points cuz the idea of porting STO to consoles fails at the very beginning of the gameplay issues. Tell me how to use my 40+ custom keybinds (that I really need for arena) on a xbox controller and we can start talking about consoles...

Also, almost all you point are wrong (yes I did read your post now).

It really is the other way around. Games that are released for both, PC and Console, usually are more expensive on console while they are better on PC (better gfx, better controls, more patches, customizations, mods)

Soooo...to me, looks like it's the console gamers that have too much money and not enough brains :rolleyes:

STO used to be different in the past when it also was a PC game. We're talking about cryptic and PWE - their games would be insane p2w grind bull**** even on consoles.

Today most Content in STO can already be played just by hammering your spacebar. That's silly enough, PLS PLS PLS do not dump it down any further!

Actually it's the way I described there's not a single MMO on consoles today that is pay to progress. Not one. There are simply subscription only models. The rest of the MMOs on consoles either have a valid loot system like D3 (and yes that's an MMO look it up) or they have an RNG loot system like Destiny. NWO is trying to force it's way into the market and will certainly try to use the system it has in place right now but I can tell you that console gamers aren't going to stand for that. They'll realize what a bad deal it is and force a change by boycotting because not only are they smarter but they also have the numbers to keep that kind of control.

It's not that console gamers are smarter simply because they are console gamers, they are smarter because unlike this title and so many others, they didn't let these companies completely ruin their favorite IPs and turn them into massive grind fests or pay to progress models. Even you can see that fact if not you my friend don't live in the same universe as the rest of us.
  • Options
    thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Neverwinter Online however was designed with a clear limit on how many powers you had, and that limit is much lower than STO's ever was. It is much more "tightly" designed in this regard.

After raiding as a warlock in World of Censoredcraft when spell ranks existed and mattered I came to the opinion that if your UI could not be mapped to a sanely chorded gamepad scheme you should go back to the drawing board and cut down on the cool sounding but ultimately redundant clickies.

CO plays quite nicely on a gamepad.

STO can be mapped somewhat nicely to a gamepad if you're ok with effectively spacebaring all the stupid maintenance buffs and heals.

Why NWO online dropped native gamepad support is beyond me, it's perfectly suited for it.
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • Options
    nicha0nicha0 Member Posts: 1,456 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    dgdolph wrote: »
    !
    How many posts on these forums make rants about smashing the space bar to win? Now if only the consoles had some kind of buttons.. or .. something..

I'd not be too hard to make a macro system and new UI for a console. The game being a disaster is another problem all together..
    Delirium Tremens
    Completed Starbase, Embassy, Mine, Spire and No Win Scenario
    Nothing to do anymore.
    http://dtfleet.com/
    Visit our Youtube channel
  • Options
    jermbotjermbot Member Posts: 801 Arc User
    edited February 2015

Fair enough, lets read your points.
    Unlike the PC gamers the console gamers aren't plagued by a large number of players who have too much money and not enough brains to know when they are getting a raw deal. In the pc world right now there are tons of players out there who think it's perfectly fine to have to pay to progress and these titles are being converted in order to catch those players in the pc world....

Assuming that your individual experience and self serving interpretation of that experience is accurate. It sounds like you're saying that, in your individual experience and self serving interpretation, PC STO players are spending too much money, and in your individual experience and self serving interpretation, console players would spend less.

And that STO would have to be overhauled in a major way in order to appeal to this console market that will pay less.

So you think this game would be improved by making Cryptic pay the money necessary for a drop and progression overhaul so that they could then collect less money from both Console and PC players. Cool.
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Wait wait wait... Let me get something straight:

You are saying that people who are dumb enough to pay as much for a console, as they would for a PC with the same / better specs, yet can mainly be used to games, and not really feasible for anything else don't waste money on useless things?

Whats the logic..? I don't see it.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    it could easily be expanded into a 6 or 8 way radial menu.

mass effect had a similar, if simpler system too, so its far from a rare feature once you get out of rpg's that coppied single player rpg menu's from around y2k.

like i said. consoles force proper and well thought out, efficient use of the gui.

Ok, now, you're just trolling. Have you ever used a radial menu with a gamepad? You need to press button x, then navigate to tab x and then either release or press button x again. Even IF you're trained in that, it will at least take you 250ms to do that. Add those 250ms to your ping and your human reaction time and a game like STO will almost be unplayable. If my teammate is getting alpha'd, I would like to help him as fast as possible. With a gamepad it would be like: "hold on buddy, I just need to select you first and then navigate through this crappy console menu in order to help you. Make sure you don't die in the meanwhile!"

There are several multiplayer games out there that put console players and PC players in the same server pools. It always ends in console noobs getting rekt by PC players - even with some kinds of assists (aim bot or whatever) for consoles.

Mouse & Keyboard is just superior in any possible way to gamepads. Those console guis are not efficient - it's just the only way to provide some poor kind of gameplay to consoles.

Don't get me wrong on the other part. I fully agree with you guys that there's way to much grind and p2w in this broken game. That's why I even stopped playing until it's hopefully getting better again.
  • Options
    taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Hey OP, have you not noticed console games becoming more and more micro transaction based ?
    They're becoming as bad as mobile freemium games...
    You haven't noticed ?

The new CoD has tons of micro transactions available to you, from map packs, to gun camo's, its getting just as bad if not worse.

You want to talk about console players being in control, no sir, they are not, and haven't been since we could buy a Nintendo game straight up (all included for one price of 50-75$).

Its going on 10 years since console players have had "more control".
    The sad fact is, players no longer have any control, on any system. And its only going to get more micro transaction'y..

You're living in the long forgotten past my friend.
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Hey OP, have you not noticed console games becoming more and more micro transaction based ?
    They're becoming as bad as mobile freemium games...
    You haven't noticed ?

The new CoD has tons of micro transactions available to you, from map packs, to gun camo's, its getting just as bad if not worse.

You want to talk about console players being in control, no sir, they are not, and haven't been since we could buy a Nintendo game straight up (all included for one price of 50-75$).

Its going on 10 years since console players have had "more control".
    The sad fact is, players no longer have any control, on any system. And its only going to get more micro transaction'y..

You're living in the long forgotten past my friend.

I'd hardly consider map packs and cosmetics a microtransaction based pay to progress model.

There's a difference between making your weapons have skins or special coloring and making it so that it's impossible unless you spend 3.5 years on a single character, to progress in a game, ie get better skills better weapons ie the power creep.

I know I'm new to the console scene but so far all of the games I've looked have do NOT have that issue but almost all of the PC mmo games do! There are like 2 now that don't have that model out of the AAA titles, LOTRO and World of ********. It's sad when it's almost completely taken over the market of the B2P and F2P models.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    if kb/m was so inherently superior,
    why are cargo ships not controlled by them?
    why are aircraft not controlled by them?
    why are miltary ships/aircraft not controlled by them?
    Are you sure? Most ships use a form of auto travel to get where they're going and only use manual input for special occasions.

Heck even the old wooden sailing ships had an auto pilot feature... (you could lock the wheel to a certain angle and the rudder would stay at that angle until you unlocked it)
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg