test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Snowballs getting nerfed - bye bye fun

lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
According to tribble patch notes today
Snowballs, Unmelting Snowballs, and Half-melted Snowballs no longer have any chance of knocking down snowmen or players of the opposite faction.

Snowballs are no longer useful in winter wonderland. Not only do they NOT knock down other players after multiple hits but according to the notes they no longer are effective as a weapon in any winter wonderland activity. Apparently you are now forced to buy A snow weapon. I wonder what happens next year when unarmed players enter the WW and can't battle or grind for trinkets to buy a snow weapon.

This is bu*****t. When does this sucking the fun out of STO stop ? The WW is supposed to be a holiday fun zone to escape for a while, why do they need to nerf snowballs ?
KBF Lord MalaK
Awoken Dead
giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
Post edited by lordmalak1 on

Comments

• startrek1234567startrek1234567 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    nerfing snowballs? How are people who don't have snow weapons suppose to get any without buying the supplies off the exhange? What BS, snowballs are fun, and part of a winter experience, but no we have to buy snow weps.
  • kavasekavase Member Posts: 771 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Well with the complaining regardless of how legit it was or not, it was bound to happen.

BUT...I didn't expect them to go full blown no more knock downs to all. I figured they would have been a little more...selective in how they operate, but now, everyone gets punished. :rolleyes:
    Retired. I'm now in search for that perfect space anomaly.
  • ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Saw this thread coming.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • tekehdtekehd Member Posts: 2,032 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    The issue is knockback... not damage. You can still use snowballs.. they just have no knockback to them that can effect friendly players or snowmen.
  • lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    tekehd wrote: »
    The issue is knockback... not damage. You can still use snowballs.. they just have no knockback to them that can effect friendly players or snowmen.

Lemme guess, someone knocked you down with a snowball while you were blocking the race official, right ? That's the only time it's even used since they removed snowball farming last year.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

edited December 2014
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
  • reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Meh every once in a while you see some would-be troll trying to knock down ice racers to TRIBBLE up their daily. Can't say I especially care one way or the other, but that sort of childishness is probably the source of the change.
    edited December 2014
    lordmalak1 wrote: »
    Lemme guess, someone knocked you down with a snowball while you were blocking the race official, right ? That's the only time it's even used since they removed snowball farming last year.

I would recommend you stop making pointless guesses about things.... that way you won't continuously be wrong.
  • prierinprierin Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    It doesn't take much to get the unmelting snowballs... are they still effective?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    You will forever be missed and never forgotten.
    edited December 2014
    prierin wrote: »
    It doesn't take much to get the unmelting snowballs... are they still effective?

Yes, you can still use them.... they will no longer have any knockback effect though. At least whenever this patch get to holodeck.... the notes the OP are talking about are the most recent tribble patch notes.
  • jellico1jellico1 Member Posts: 2,719
    edited December 2014
    another troll tool down

good going cryptic
    Jellico....Engineer ground.....Da'val Romulan space Sci
    Saphire.. Science ground......Ko'el Romulan space Tac
    Leva........Tactical ground.....Koj Romulan space Eng

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
  • ecotec1983ecotec1983 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    While I totally understand that snowballs can be used to ruin events and pester players I don't see the need to totally ruin them. Have not seen it but I've heard of fleets having friendly snowball fights. Have seen two people in ESD having a blast with them.

I spend a lot of time in game, (probably way more than I should) and have yet to see anyone maliciously using snowballs despite almost camping out in WW. But honestly if something/someone in a certain zone annoys me I just change my instance and move on.
  • aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    kavase wrote: »
    I didn't expect them to go full blown no more knock downs to all. I figured they would have been a little more...selective in how they operate, but now, everyone gets punished. :rolleyes:

How ... uncharacteristic of Cryptic ... .
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    You are not being forced to buy a snow weapon. Your snowballs still do damage to the snowmen needed to reap your rewards.

Knockback (known in gaming circles as stunlock) does not dictate victory or defeat against the snowmen or assimilated snowborg.

This is a nerf. But a nerf whose benefits outweigh the drawbacks.

Players can no longer troll other players with them to the extent they used to.

This comes down to the classic feud.

"It is my right to not be forced to do something by another player's social device."

"It is my right to force your character to do something with my social device."
    ExtxpTp.jpg
    edited December 2014
    Wanna know what is really funny? You see people get annoyed by others moaning about snowballs needing to be changed. Then, when it happens, the people against the snowball nerfs start whining themselves.
  • cookiecrookcookiecrook Member Posts: 4,524 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I am really disappointed to see snowballs nerfed! They have been fine the previous years so why the changes now? The knockback was the best part of them when having snowball fights with fellow players. :(
    <
    > <
    > <
    >
    Looking for a new fleet? Drop by the in-game chat channel, "tenforwardforum", and say hi to the members of A Fleet Called Ten Forward (Fed) and The Orion Pirates (KDF). If you already have a fleet you are happy with, please feel free to drop by our chat channel if you are looking for a friendly bunch of helpful people to socialize with.
    edited December 2014
    I would recommend you stop making pointless guesses about things.... that way you won't continuously be wrong.

NP. I just can't imagine anything more petty than the devs removing this little easter egg, but I guess I could just sit in the middle of the racetrack with my pets and go AFK while I wait for the next winter event to que up instead of having a snowball fight with my friends. Maybe the devs will spend some time putting the track into it's own instance instead of actually fixing the real gamebreaking issues, eh ?
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

• blakes7tvseriesblakes7tvseries Member Posts: 704 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    They will still do damage to snowman.

Repeat they will still do damage to snowman.
    download.jpg
    edited December 2014
    NP. I just can't imagine anything more petty than the devs removing this little easter egg, but I guess I could just sit in the middle of the racetrack with my pets and go AFK while I wait for the next winter event to que up instead of having a snowball fight with my friends. Maybe the devs will spend some time putting the track into it's own instance instead of actually fixing the real gamebreaking issues, eh ?

You can still snowball fight, it just will have no knockback effect. I'd personally much rather GM's take a more active roll in this game and start kicking and/or ip banning the small number of trolls who use these devices for ill..... but there is little chance of that ever happening.

Of note the worse I've ever had with them is some ninny following my around the track while running the race pelting snowballs at me..... however he was so lame that he never once triggered a knockback.... likely the game detected his lameness.
    edited December 2014
    Honestly, not sure what the big fuss is about. You do not have to make people fall down to have a snowball fight..Not like falling down did anything...
    edited December 2014
    You can still snowball fight, it just will have no knockback effect. I'd personally much rather GM's take a more active roll in this game and start kicking and/or ip banning the small number of trolls who use these devices for ill..... but there is little chance of that ever happening.

Of note the worse I've ever had with them is some ninny following my around the track while running the race pelting snowballs at me..... however he was so lame that he never once triggered a knockback.... likely the game detected his lameness.

You can't have a snowball fight with other players without the knockback effect, players take NO DAMAGE from player thrown snowballs, and never did.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

edited December 2014
    You can't have a snowball fight with other players without the knockback effect, players take NO DAMAGE from player thrown snowballs, and never did.

Snowball fight= two or more parties exchanging snowballs. Nowhere does it say they must be knocked down.
  • cabezadetortugacabezadetortuga Member Posts: 251 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I approve of this change.

A snowball shouldn't have a knockdown effect, anyways.

Since when do snowballs knock people down?

They don't.

Good job, Cryptic.
    edited December 2014
    I approve of this change.

A snowball shouldn't have a knockdown effect, anyways.

Since when do snowballs knock people down?

They don't.

Good job, Cryptic.

I sure don't see people in real life falling over uncontrollably when hit with small piles of frozen water.
    edited December 2014
    ashkrik23 wrote: »
    Snowball fight= two or more parties exchanging snowballs. Nowhere does it say they must be knocked down.

Sounds like you never have actually been in a snowball fight. How does anyone know you got hit ? Ya, you fall down.

Perhaps you think stopping and saying in chat 'I got hit' has the same effect ?
    :confused:
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

• gameleechgameleech Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Never had a prob with anybody annoying or griefing me via snowballs. Removing KD only doesnt affect me, I have no prob with it. What I do hate and you (Cryptic) can nerf is the jerks that rush up to the race start when you are already there waiting for the next spot. I always get disqualified and have restart while they seem to take my spot. WTF BAN THEM ALL!!!%$*@# HOHOHO merry xmas!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ghyudtghyudt Member Posts: 1,112 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Apparently players were using snowballs to troll players in the race and knock them down, forcing a loss. Once again, the players are at fault here. Its actually kind of funny. The obvious is staring everyone in the face, and they still try to blame cryptic for this. This is why I try to play solo whenever I can. Other players just suck, and this is a perfect example of what I mean. If you don't want more nerfs to fun things, then start policing your own. Players should be reporting trolls, not over the forums but with support tickets. But, let's face it, players prefer to whine about it in public and shout down whoever doesn't agree.
    edited December 2014
    Sounds like you never have actually been in a snowball fight. How does anyone know you got hit ? Ya, you fall down.

Perhaps you think stopping and saying in chat 'I got hit' has the same effect ?
    :confused:

Are you really serious? LOL. You know you hit someone by seeing a splatter of frozen water goes everywhere across their jacket and face...