test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Skill Points from PvE Queues

spencerb96spencerb96 Member Posts: 241 Media Corps
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1238751

• All queues will reward Skill Points, Dilithium, and Crafting materials based on their difficulty level.
  • 8,000 – 16,000 Skill Points based on average time in queue.

With the 3x Skill Point Inflation that was put in with today's patch, this means queues should be rewarding 24,000-48,000 Skill Points.

Here is a spreadsheet that is currently taking data from a few players, at various levels, to see what most queues are actually rewarding.

If you want to add more info to the spreadsheet, you can do so by filling out this form with the needed information.

As you can see in the spreadsheet above, most queues are rewarding nothing like that. You can earn more Skill Points doing Normal Patrol Missions then you can by playing the queues. I believe that if this were fixed, it may bring quite a few away from Patrol grinding and back into the PvE Queues.
ffluoti63bi9.png
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• cwrichesonzenocwrichesonzeno Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    A very thoughtful, research-based argument that deserves more attention. Thank you.
  • furiontassadarfuriontassadar Member Posts: 475 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    A very thoughtful, research-based argument that deserves more attention. Thank you.

It's unfortunate that Cryptic will likely completely and utterly ignore it in favor of their own mysterious "metrics".
    "There will never be enough blood to wash away my need for vengeance! A single world...I could destroy a million worlds and it would not be enough! Your existence is an insult to the memory of my people! I will continue my fight, even if I must fight alone!"
  • ivannanukeivannanuke Member Posts: 237 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Or the fact that they just seemingly are only able to add things to the C-store correctly.
    PROUD TO PLAY THIS GAME MINUS TO GIVING ANY INCOME TO CRYPTIC
  • spencerb96spencerb96 Member Posts: 241 Media Corps
    edited November 2014
    The 15k XP CCA was a typo by a fleetie of mine, so am marking over that.

I've also entered a Normal Argala System Patrol to compare XP gains. Looking at that number, you can see why many are simply grinding Patrols rather than play Queues.
    ffluoti63bi9.png
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    You know OP. Your post is what I originally hoped DR would provide.

Happy, peaceful progression of the toons I made and invested a lot in by simply playing STO’s endgame.

It would have not been that hard Cryptic.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    You should clean up the spreadsheet, some kid had fun with it.
    It's unfortunate that Cryptic will likely completely and utterly ignore it in favor of their own mysterious "metrics".
    They are no mysterious. They involve voodoo, a chicken, and playing SWTOR a lot (the Kobali area screams "BALMORRA" all over the place, and the Nal Shaddan system, which ring very similar to Nar Shaddaa in star wars). Maybe they even took the idea for DR from the latest SWTOR expansion, rise of the hutt cartel, before the one coming in december, where you can lvlup to 53.5 using regular content, and then have to grind the rest through dailies and whatnot.

Comes to think of it, Bioware also loves to point out their metrics when they don't want to listen to players. Usually a few months before they do exactly what the players asked, according to their metrics.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • starsword1989starsword1989 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Here's to bump you up.

Very insightful. Let's hope they do something to save the queues.
  • captainsucrecaptainsucre Member Posts: 62 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    • All queues will reward Skill Points, Dilithium, and Crafting materials based on their difficulty level.
    • 8,000 – 16,000 Skill Points based on average time in queue.

Quick question: where it says reward skill points based on average time in queue, does that mean only the reward at the end of the mission, when you receive your reputation marks or does it mean all skill points earned throughout the mission from killing enemies plus whatever the mission rewards?
    edited November 2014
    erei1 wrote: »
    You should clean up the spreadsheet, some kid had fun with it.

Done :)
    Quick question: where it says reward skill points based on average time in queue, does that mean only the reward at the end of the mission, when you receive your reputation marks or does it mean all skill points earned throughout the mission from killing enemies plus whatever the mission rewards?

I imagine it is just for completing the queue. Like how you get a large chunk of Skill Points for completing a system patrol. Even if it is for the whole match, the numbers are still quite off.
    ffluoti63bi9.png
  • mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Cryptic can make all of the "metrics" handwavery double-speak they want, but we can record hard data too, and it paints a significantly different picture.

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
    edited November 2014
    Cryptic can make all of the "metrics" handwavery double-speak they want, but we can record hard data too, and it paints a significantly different picture.

Indeed, there is now 30 queues in there, all from various players. No Queue, not even an elite, will reward more than a Normal Argala system Patrol. Quite sad. I hope the devs see the info and look into it. Could make quite a huge difference.
    ffluoti63bi9.png
  • thegraypilgrimthegraypilgrim Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Ok bump time :)
  • mmps1mmps1 Member Posts: 381 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I've been filling these forms out and testing xp rewards, it's really poor. Doffing is probably now the best way to get xp.

Normal Argala run, team of 5. 7k xp in 3:30 mins

Elite Argala run, team of 5. 15k xp in 16:20 mins.
    "Mr talks down to the peasants."
  • mmps1mmps1 Member Posts: 381 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Oh and that Argala was like pulling teeth trying to get a team in the same instance. So yeah, they've not fixed that either.
    "Mr talks down to the peasants."
  • thegraypilgrimthegraypilgrim Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    And for good measure its bump time again :eek:
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited November 2014
    They need to fix PvE skill rewards, because it's just a pain having to do the same boring patrol over and over for 80 hours.
  • satchmo84satchmo84 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    mmps1 wrote: »
    I've been filling these forms out and testing xp rewards, it's really poor. Doffing is probably now the best way to get xp.

Too bad doffing hasn't been working the way it's supposed to either. I've been doing regular missions in the delta quadrant, and they always come out less that the stated value. For example, the mission Broker Ongoing Aid For B'omar Refugees From Kobali is supposed to reward about 1200 skill points on a normal completion. If I complete it without a critical success, I get about 700 skill points. So I have only been doing missions that reward 1000+ skill points as that's the only way I can see significant movement in my skill points bar. And as far back as I can remember playing this game, ques have not been a significant source of skill points. It would truly be awesome if I could go and complete an Elite que and receive more skill points than a normal run of Argala.
    edited November 2014
    mmps1 wrote: »

Thank you for testing :)

I've ran a few more Patrols, taking ~2.5min for a Normal Argala solo. Getting 7-8k per run. Using the search function to see who all is in Argala, it looks like there are more players in there than there are currently playing most PvE queues. Currently see 102 Argala System maps in use atm.

Pic of search showing 102 active Argala instances.
    ffluoti63bi9.png
  • nephilim83nephilim83 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    spencerb96 wrote: »
    No Queue, not even an elite, will reward more than a Normal Argala system Patrol. Quite sad. I hope the devs see the info and look into it. Could make quite a huge difference.

They'll just knock Argala down another peg or two. They want two things here: they want us to level slowly and they want us to start playing queues and story content (to help their metrics). So, instead of boosting queues and episode replay XP too much, they're trying to make leveling via Argala and doffing as undesirable as possible. Otherwise, they won't be able to show their bosses how much we love the new content. None of this is true, but it's the way things are.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Everyone should keep bumping this until Cryptic responds and fixes this.

Bump!

We want a response please.. even a 'we're looking into it,' but they need to address this.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • maarkeanmaarkean Member Posts: 116 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I wondered why queues were such TRIBBLE ways of getting spec pts.
  • futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I don't think they're going to fix it. I think that patch note is a forgotten relic of old, changed plans. They do not want level 60 players to gain XP at anything near that rate.
  • xxxseadog117xxxxxxseadog117xxx Member Posts: 131 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Its like they focused their data on Argala, not anything else.
    Kurland Here Kurland Here This is Kurland Kurland Kurland Here Kurland, Do you copy?

chiyoumiku wrote: »
    Here's a Tissue for your Issue.
  • futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    And yet, on a XP/minute basis, Argala and similar patrols are still the best return on your time investment if you want XP. Because, as Spencer here has noted, queues aren't really returning anywhere near what one would reasonably expect.
  • kublakhan81kublakhan81 Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Bump it!

Not that anyone is reading it..
  • reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    And yet, on a XP/minute basis, Argala and similar patrols are still the best return on your time investment if you want XP. Because, as Spencer here has noted, queues aren't really returning anywhere near what one would reasonably expect.

Of course how many people are having fun doing Argala? Time is great for keeping people around, but time they're around and enjoying themselves has to be more profitable.
  • stonelokistoneloki Member Posts: 304 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Lots of people saying they need to fix this, they need to fix leveling, guess what, in PWE's eyes its not broke, its exactly what they want it to be.

If all the nerfing in Tau was about Dil they would have just taken away the dil prize for leveling past the mark, which they did, and left the rest alone. It was never about the Dil alone, they want everyone leveling as slow as possible, its a new game past 60 and they want everyone crawling through it as slowly as possible.

By doing this they make more money, not just from us the player base, but from the company they work for. "Look at all these players playing, look at our most successful expansion look at all the people playing in Delta! I've revitalized the game I deserve a bonus, a raise, pay me more for my continued effort!"

Its a money sink in every way possible, that's what they have wanted over the course of two years, and they will continue to push this as far as they possibly can.

Saying that I still play, I have played since launch, its not going to change I will play till they burn down the servers and kill all the hamster's.

What is really sad though, is anyone just getting into this game, has no clue what it will take to see it through, most of us had a huge head start and a lot of stuff pre DR, those just starting, I really pitty their experience.
    2p1n3_by_rainrivermusic-d6fyhfm_zpsemwlec9g.gif
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Damn shame seeing the list of Elite content rewarding such poor XPs. PVE Queues are the worst for XPs.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    that sounds fantastic, though i think it is a little too high accross the board. But anyway, this could be tuned while running it. drawing a bigger crowd and especially experianced players would be a great way to improve the gaming experiance for everybody.
    Go pro or go home
  • jellico1jellico1 Member Posts: 2,719
    edited November 2014
    nephilim83 wrote: »
    They'll just knock Argala down another peg or two. They want two things here: they want us to level slowly and they want us to start playing queues and story content (to help their metrics). So, instead of boosting queues and episode replay XP too much, they're trying to make leveling via Argala and doffing as undesirable as possible. Otherwise, they won't be able to show their bosses how much we love the new content. None of this is true, but it's the way things are.

Some of us have know this for some time..............They cryptic boost rewards where ( They ) want us to play..............Not where the players want to play

cryptic should have equal rewards for all content................then the players will show them what content is good and which sucks

Why they don't do this is beyond me , It would be good business to improve what there player base wants then change the bad content to better fit the successful model
    Jellico....Engineer ground.....Da'val Romulan space Sci
    Saphire.. Science ground......Ko'el Romulan space Tac
    Leva........Tactical ground.....Koj Romulan space Eng

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse