What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Would you recommend STO to a friend?

Comments

• Options
    huntingdon1701huntingdon1701 Member Posts: 155 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    No. The artwork is nice, but the game is broken and Gecko insults players every time he appears. He needs to be sacked and a competent lead appointed.
  • Options
    shmojoshmojo Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Pre-DR I would have fully recommended STO and the lifetime sub. Post-DR, I'd recommend anything but.
  • Options
    ivannanukeivannanuke Member Posts: 237 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    No. The artwork is nice, but the game is broken and Gecko insults players every time he appears. He needs to be sacked and a competent lead appointed.

Wooooot someone who thinks the same.

I hope Gecko ends up working in Subways on minimum wage. Just make sure someone checks his maths.
    PROUD TO PLAY THIS GAME MINUS TO GIVING ANY INCOME TO CRYPTIC
  • Options
    mirrorterranmirrorterran Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I have to admit that I recommend STO to my friends.

Mainly because if you want science fiction, f2p mmo your choices are horribly restricted.

SWTOR anyone? just no.
  • Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    dalolorn wrote: »
    Well, I would amend my signature accordingly, but then I'd remember I only infrequently spent money on the game anyway. :o

"A little" down to "none" still counts as Proudly F2P. If your wallet is now 100% closed, it would still be perfectly fitting to show Cryptic that even that little chance isn't there anymore.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    humblesheephumblesheep Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    doomfrost wrote: »
    I would have to say "Yes" to story, "No" to end game.

My son has been asking me to let him play, three weeks ago I would have agreed with you, now I don't think it's worth him even bothering starting. Not fair on him, or any of his friends that would have followed him.
  • Options
    drsanitydrsanity Member Posts: 76 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    As a matter of fact, yes I would.

I accept that's an unpopular point of view to most of the forum complaints of late but the fact is that, for me, the game is still fun and doing what I wanted overall. But, I don't believe you should be able to do everything for free, forever, in any game, so I'm sure that filters my experience compared to many just as my feeling was much of the game was _way_ too easy originally.

I accept that puts me in a minority from many and that others view this in a wholly different light. To each their own of course. :)
    "The only thing mankind learns from the study of history is that mankind does not learn from the study of history." ~G. Santayana
  • Options
    amishrevolutionamishrevolution Member Posts: 127 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Absolutely not, I'll try to get old players back but they have no misconceptions about Cryptic's ethical challenges. I'd still suggest that everyone that's ever been to business school or taken an ethics course send their old ethics textbooks to Cryptic, but they'd just use them for firelighters or to prop up desks.

Cryptic has been treating its customer base like TRIBBLE for far too long for me to recommend it, or them, to a new player. Until there are some ethics and morals utilized with the community (and even then there would need to be at least six months of a track record) I wouldn't recommend anyone try any of their games.
  • Options
    kristaswiftkristaswift Member Posts: 306 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Pre DR: YES

POST DR: Run away like heck!!! Blackhole of GRINDING FEST with no end. Grind is not a problem but selfishness and just plain pride of some of Cryptic's management in NOT listening to playerbase.
  • Options
    wolfehunterswolfehunters Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    No because its broken game.. bug in this game are game breaking.. untill they fix it i wouldn't suggest my friends to play or test or anything STO.

When cryptic or whoever fixes this game then I would gladly support and have my buddies play.. few I know have played sto don't because of similar reasons.
  • Options
    norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 2,624 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    not now. the sheer GREED of starship traits on the wrong ships, the outright REFUSAL to make ships for all factions, and the excessive leveling grind from 55 to 100 (includes leveling to fill the tree past 60) combined with the lack of content make it difficult to give away. Even as a free game, it has lost a lot of appeal and I hesitate to get someone into it.
  • Options
    uthyeruthyer Member Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    fuglass wrote: »
    Hello,
    I am asking for others thoughts and feelings on this question, obviously I have my own opinion but I'm hoping to expand my point of view.
    If you choose to reply a simple yes or no is fine, but it'd be great if you would explain you position. Having said that this in not a Pro/Con Cryptic thread so there is no need to attack or 'correct' anyone's opinion since that's what I'm asking for anyway.

So on to the question:
    Would you recommend STO to a friend?

Thanks in advance!
    -Glass

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cgbZqR2AGI
  • Options
    dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    gulberat wrote: »
    "A little" down to "none" still counts as Proudly F2P. If your wallet is now 100% closed, it would still be perfectly fitting to show Cryptic that even that little chance isn't there anymore.

Well, my point was that it wasn't closed because of anything Cryptic did. Arguably, it is much less likely to reopen now, but...

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • Options
    ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited November 2014
    uthyer wrote: »

My sentiments exactly.

Isn't this thread a tad bit stale?
  • Options
    illyrian2008illyrian2008 Member Posts: 271 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    My sentiments exactly.

I would totally recommend them this game if they wanted to see what a travesty can be made from a ST IP.

An amazing accomplishment, SWG comes close though.
  • Options
    helgmornhelgmorn Member Posts: 103 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I have and still get friends to play STO, why?

Its Star Trek

Best Space PEW PEW out there. No other space game comes close to the fun in Space Combat!

Its Totally Free

You do not have to "Grind" at all to enjoy the content

Hours and Hours of free enjoyment, did I mention Free?

Great artwork, sets, missions, ships, story, foundry, character choices, costumes, Game-play Mechanics, PEW PEW, Transporter sounds, challenges, events, free-stuff, Borg Battles, crafting, exploration. I can go on but yeah you get the point.

Haters gonna hate, so why don't they just leave already!

So much complaining, so much hate, I just don't get it. Dont like it, dont play.
  • Options
    khregkhreg Member Posts: 379 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I have recommended it to a fellow Trek geek, but placed heavy emphasis over the Foundry.
  • Options
    smeeinn1tsmeeinn1t Member Posts: 618 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Well for me it is now a no.

It hasn't always been that way though.

I have introduced a couple of family members and a few friends to STO since S6. One friend has always resisted even though I pushed it at him persistently.

After S7s "issues" I became a little less promotive, but still tried to get this one friend on-board. Thanks to the good work of Branflakes and the "fixes" that where eventually set into place to make S7 a little more enjoyable, I was back to pushing STO on anyone that I thought would dig it. Still no luck with my friend though.

Now rather than go through the rest of the seasons/Expansions in detail, I'll just say that with each change right up untill DR, even with the less fun changes I still made the occasional recommendation, not nearly as often as before but still sometimes. Still couldn't convince the one friend.

Since DR I have not recommended this game to anyone, I was running a LAN session on Elite Dangerous with the one friend a couple of days ago, he pointed out that I hadn't logged into STO or tried to convince him to join for a while...

He was right.
    V9BQ6SM.gif
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." — Lazarus Long --->Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited November 2014

No, but it's a bit sad. :(
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    zeus#0893 zeus Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Sadly I have to say no.

While I love anything that is Star Trek and I have been a fan since the very first show in TOS in the 60's, what PWE/Cryptic has done to this is no longer, IMHO, Star Trek.

1) Fun taken out of the game.
    2) Massive grind put into the game.
    3) Less and less rewards for time spent in the game.
    4) Zero customer support.
    5) Developers that call the players morons in a public place and are still working for PWE/Cryptic.
    6) Total lack of understanding by the Dev team and Producers of this game of what the players are saying to them or asking for in the game.
    7) PWE money grab from the players.

I could list more, but I am too discouraged to continue.

Zeus
  • Options
    lordkratos1974lordkratos1974 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    umm lets see... oh hell no.
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Depends on which friend. If they like Star Trek I'd tell them to give it a whirl. If they're a Star Trek roleplayer I might pitch the idea to them.

If they're looking for instant gratification and not so much grind, I would tell them no.

If they like friendly communities, I'd tell them to stay the hell away.

If they are curious about how fans of Star Trek really are, and want to see first-hand how horrible many of them behave, I'd tell them to hang out in Zone chat on ESD or on the STO forums. As a sociological experiment, STO is quite fruitful.

I would heavily emphasise the Foundry as well, since it is one of the strengths the game has going for it.

But as far as recommending this game to friends who enjoy MMOs, PvP, or think Star Trek Online should be something it isn't, I would most definitely tell them no.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    dwain1771dwain1771 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    NO.
    Why? Cryptic and the TRIBBLE poor support.
  • Options
    jellico1jellico1 Member Posts: 2,719
    edited November 2014
    Not if I wanted to keep the friend a friend

I do have some friends who might be painfreaks....maybe to them :)
    Jellico....Engineer ground.....Da'val Romulan space Sci
    Saphire.. Science ground......Ko'el Romulan space Tac
    Leva........Tactical ground.....Koj Romulan space Eng

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
  • Options
    dwain1771dwain1771 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    My most recent interaction with these a s s hats was filing a ticket compalining I can't get in. Hell, I've been on this forum idk how long and i still can't even post a new THREAD. But my support post, I asked them to unlock my account because im not getting an e-mail.

So they sent me something to try, and I did, and it failed. But my ticket was locked! So I filed a new one, and got told it's a f*$#king DUPLICATE and they were deleting it! Needless to say, I'm in the process of a BBB complaint right now over this TRIBBLE.
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    dark4blood wrote: »
    ^It is sad all you can do is kiss Cryptic's *** when you KNOW this game is broken. I am sorry to say this, but you are the reason ALL Cryptic did when it came to improving difficulty is increase f****** hit points. If you can't see the laziness out of that **** than you are right STO fans do ASK too much from the DEVS.

I like how giving scathing criticism to Cryptic counts as kissing their aft. You clearly know what you are talking about.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    originalkaticoriginalkatic Member Posts: 81 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    No.

For numerous reasons:
    • It doesn't (and hasn't for a looong time) make any effort to represent the ideals or ethos of Star Trek. There's no Exploration, very few examinations of philosophical conundrums, etc.. Even the Klingon Empire, which lends itself to the PvE slaughter/PvP competition that MMOs excel at, aren't utilized correctly.
    • The game has departed a great deal from how things worked in Trek, from Carriers, to Starfleet/KDF/RSE Captains flying Vulcan/Andorian/Risian/Cardassian/Dominion/Ferengi/etc ships, to the aforementioned slaughter..
    • The Grind, dear lord The Grind.. The way Dilithium is wedged into everything and the obvious intention of every single addition to the game is to squeeze the most possible Zen purchases out of the playerbase, or make those players who don't pay grind months.. Even the in-game upgrade and crafting systems, which are normally alternatives to the Cash Shop in other games, are laden down with prohibitive Dilithium costs designed to railroad you to buying Zen and then trading it for Dilithium.. It's frankly starting to remind me of an abusive relationship. I don't like the bruises PWE/Cryptic leaves on my Bank Account/time, but but but, I love this game..
    • On a similar note, the prohibitive costs if you do go the pay route. $25USD for an endgame ship? $5USD for a costume? Then figure in how much you have to hand over to trade for dilithium in order to gear up.. I took a two year break from this game, and in order to catch up and unlock all the ships I'd like in order to match the set up I had before I left and deleted my toons, I'd have to spend over $300USD, before gearing. Think about it this way, to get the Odyssey/Bortasque/Scimitar Bundles, I'd have to fork over $150USD, $125USD for a single Expansion Bundle.. That's easily two other full games and a DLC elsewhere. I play PS3, and similar in-game items in GTA:O or Battlefield 4 cost half as much or less.. The greed on display by PWE here is quite frankly disgusting.
    Original Join Date: January 2010. Ragequit Date: January 7th 2012. Return Date: October 23rd 2014.

Almost called it.