test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Will Star Citizen make STO obsolete?

Comments

• morden2morden2 Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    SC is a scam and will never happen. Roberts I am sure is very thankful for the free multi million dollar company. I bet he'll be sure to send everyone a Xmas card in a year or two when he sells Cloud Imp to EA.

Elite Dangerous Launches December 14th... a little over a month from now. Braben didn't start with nothing... Frontier Developments has existed since 1994 and hes been selling video games. Sure not many of us have been snapping up zoo tycoons. lol My only point is, Frontier is a legit game developer... they may have finished the game with some kickstarter help, but it was already 3+ years into development when they did that. I'm sure had people not been stupid enough to hand Roberts 60+ million in Free money the guys at Frontier would have just finished the game on there dime. Either way theirs is launching and Roberts SC never will. (or it will when EA finishes it lol)

Will ED replace STO... no cause at this point most people still putting up wtih STO are hard trekkers and won't be giving it up. I mean after all the junk this dev has done if people are still here there not going anywhere. Cryptic knows it to.

Hopefully ED is capable of sucking people in though.

As for SC... even if I'm wrong and Roberts doesn't take the early retirement payday. He is still claiming his game won't launch until 2016. By then who knows CBS could have pulled the IP... or Cryptic could have pulled the plug.

I am part of the Star Citizen Alpha and the game is awesome .. It's a true PVP game and much much more.

Every few days the game progresses and it will change the way games are developed in the future. The developers are listening to the comunity and adding the best idea's.

This will happen and it will be awesome. But a star trek killer, not sure about that.

Since they are different games all together.
  • antoniosalieriantoniosalieri Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    morden2 wrote: »
    Every few days the game progresses and it will change the way games are developed in the future.

Lets honestly hope not... SC is already well on the way to being one of the most expensive games ever made.. The only games in HISTORY t hat have cost more are titles like TOR where they spent years and millions on voice overs ect. SC is already almost in the top 10 of most expensive game budgets ever. Most lists put it more around the 20ish mark but that is including the costs involved with marketing games like call of duty.

To be honest if it starts a trend we won't see any more then 1-2 games a year... cause the market can't support 100million dollar game productions constantly. :)

Hey I hope after all you guys drop a ton of money that roberts sticks with it this time... and manages to conserve some funds so the thing doesn't spiral well over 100 mil. Your right the community is invested hard and I hope things work out for the best. Myself though I really hope it doesn't start a trend of game producers thinking players will gift them 100 million dollars (you know he'll get there in the next 2 years) to make there games. I think asking for donations to start a multi million dollar company is just so very wrong.... I hope some of the games biggest suckers are donating the equivalent to charity.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dignity and an empty sack is worth the sack.
  • ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    One good thing about it is that he doesnt have to worry about selling any copies, cause he already made the money. He can make a game that appeals to 10k people, make it do that thing very very well, and meh at the rest of the world. A bit of exaggeration there, I hope it does well, but I hope it never gets dumbed down to have mass market appeal, never gets promo'd to death, never gets comittee tested and approved into blandness.

STO is vastly worse, precisely because they gotta make nut every quarter
  • twamtwam Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    One good thing about it is that he doesnt have to worry about selling any copies, cause he already made the money. He can make a game that appeals to 10k people, make it do that thing very very well, and meh at the rest of the world. A bit of exaggeration there, I hope it does well, but I hope it never gets dumbed down to have mass market appeal, never gets promo'd to death, never gets comittee tested and approved into blandness.

STO is vastly worse, precisely because they gotta make nut every quarter

You see, I get why you're saying that, I really do, but I'm not sure that the thing about not worrying about selling copies is entirely true.

I mean, sure, it's awesome if he gets the game 'just so'. And it'll be fine if there's a relatively small player base at the start, which doesn't really grow further, because he's already drawn in all those who are interested. But entropy. People get bored, play other games, quit, etc, so after a while, the player base would start shrinking. What then? Because I seriously doubt the game'd be as awesome with only a handful of player online at any given time...
  • uthyeruthyer Member Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    dam999 wrote: »
    It seems to me that Star Citizen is the only true game for the space pvp enthusiasts. With actual joysticks and real physics it should bring down games like EVE or STO. What do you think?

Wishing you a fond farewell...:P
  • vegie0vegie0 Member Posts: 480 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    morden2 wrote: »
    I am part of the Star Citizen Alpha and the game is awesome .. It's a true PVP game and much much more.

Every few days the game progresses and it will change the way games are developed in the future. The developers are listening to the comunity and adding the best idea's.

This will happen and it will be awesome. But a star trek killer, not sure about that.

Since they are different games all together.

Well, Star Citizen is by far not a "Great Game". In fact it from what I understand is likely to end up a full Terrabite in size before it is done. Now the current Builds are probably somewhat optimized but to be realistic, they are not built for the average technology in a gamer's PC. So what you get is a Glitch filled, Gigantic, Over Taxed game that is atleast 5 years out. Plus the 5 years of bug catching after that. Chris Roberts intended to make a game, he did, just not the game anybody wants. He still doesnt even know how to pull off what he is planning. This is why he went to Crowd Funding, because he doesnt even have a buisness plan. Its like going to a bank, and saying "hey, I want to make a game, but i know what i want to make, havent made any of it yet, but i think it should be KINDA like this? but im not totaly sure... so if you could loan me like 50 mil? and if that fails to be enough have like another 50 mil? maybe just set aside 300 mil... just incase i need a Yacht to make the game on.... yay a Yacht..."

You see i believe he has every intention of making the game, but he doesnt have the TIME or MONEY to support such a game. He intends to make HIS game, on YOUR money and TIME... the fact is, he will lose support when the game fails to fall into a profitable and playable area. You cant make a game without a RIGID PLAN, and you cant make a game without the time required to do so. He doesnt have eternity. Although he probably wants it.

It wasnt intended to be a scam, just he is not good enough at managing the finances or constructing a buisness plan to make this successful. Sorry, but you wasted your money if you gave it to him when no company or bank would.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • skyranger1414skyranger1414 Member Posts: 1,785 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    vegie0 wrote: »
    In fact it from what I understand is likely to end up a full Terrabite in size before it is done.

THIS is one of my [Concern]s about Star Citizen. Its heresy to post about it in their forums, but I would much prefer less polygons and ultra high res textures for a smoother running game at a more manageable size. I mean, its barely a working lobby combat game and its something like 20 gigs already!

And they are talking about needing to include even higher res textures to take advantage of 4k monitors... This is what worries me most of all about Star Citizen, at some point that man needs to learn to say NO to some new tech that pops up.

I think its ok to get excited. Its ok to dump loads of cash into it if you want (just please, no more than you can comfortably afford to!). While I would not agree, some would even say that just the fluff and stuff they put out daily would be worth a moderate to moderate high level of backing; at least over the course of development given year three is about to start. But its also good to keep an eye on things and make up your own mind rather than simply follow the crowd.
  • giannicampanellagiannicampanella Member Posts: 424 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    It seems to me that Star Citizen is the only true game for the space pvp enthusiasts. With actual joysticks and real physics it should bring down games like EVE or STO. What do you think?

This is one of the more preposterous propositions ever to briefly take center stage in human consciousness. Star Trek is not a dogfighting flight sim. It's a Horatio Hornblower in space RPG. It is, therefore, once again, a space-based Sea Dogs MMO. You collect a party of boffs that improve your ship, you explore space, then land on islands/planets for ground. It isn't even remotely the same genre of game as Star Citizen.

That said, I know where you're coming from. Both games take place in space, and both have the word "Star" in the title. The Star Wars people have been claiming the same similarity to Star Trek on this erroneous basis for decades.

But we all know there is a decent portion of STOners who really truly do not understand that STO is not a dogfighting flight sim. They fanatically think it should be, and so complain that it is, in fact, an MMORPG. It is a pitiable, but inevitable mental malfunction for which current neurology has no answers. Here's to the future and the progress we hope we'll bring to it. Cheers, gentlemen.
    Greenbird
  • aureleusaureleus Member Posts: 175 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    vegie0 wrote: »
    Well, Star Citizen is by far not a "#1: Great Game". In fact it from what I understand is likely to end up a full Terrabite in size before it is done. Now the current Builds are probably somewhat optimized but to be realistic, they are #2: not built for the average technology in a gamer's PC. #3: So what you get is a Glitch filled, Gigantic, Over Taxed game that is atleast 5 years out. #4: Plus the 5 years of bug catching after that. Chris Roberts intended to make a game, he did, just not the game anybody wants. He still doesnt even know how to pull off what he is planning. This is why he went to Crowd Funding, #5: because he doesn't even have a business plan. Its like going to a bank, and saying "hey, I want to make a game, but i know what i want to make, havent made any of it yet, but i think it should be KINDA like this? but im not totaly sure... so if you could loan me like 50 mil? and if that fails to be enough have like another 50 mil? maybe just set aside 300 mil... just incase i need a Yacht to make the game on.... yay a Yacht..."

You see i believe he has every intention of making the game, but he #6: doesn't have the TIME or MONEY to support such a game. He intends to make HIS game, on YOUR money and TIME... the fact is, he will lose support when the game fails to fall into a profitable and playable area. You cant make a game without a RIGID PLAN, and you cant make a game without the time required to do so. He doesnt have eternity. Although he probably wants it.

It wasnt intended to be a scam, just he is not good enough at managing the finances or constructing a buisness plan #7: to make this successful. Sorry, but you wasted your money if you gave it to him when no company or bank would.

#1: You apparently have not even looked very much into SC, it is so far off to a good start, everything they have said that they were going to do up to this point they have done.

#2: Not built for the average gamers PC ? No I think that its actually pretty damn good on my Average PC, PII X4 955BE @ 3.8GHz, 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz Cas 8, and a MSI R9 270X Gaming with 4GB of GDDR5. So I think your assumption is far off lolz. An to note I play currently at high settings at 1080p and average 40+ FPS.

#3: Glitch Filled ? of course! It's still considered Pre-Alpha for a Reason! still in development!, and most of the content they do release go's through a very rigorous bug check routine to get the worst of the bugs out before they release it to the masses, then when other bugs are found via the player base *pre-alpha, alpha and beta testers*, there found and fixed, and pretty regularly. This is how game development works and always has.

#4: Being that its an MMO type there going to miss a few bugs here an there, that is completely Normal, but unlike Cryptic, there actually fix them once found, so sure it may be down the road but at least there get dealt with.

#5: Actually he does have a business plan and he has mentioned it a few times in video's, which I am too lazy to go dig up atm :P.

#6: Pretty sure, at this point he has all the money he Truly *Needs* to produce the game, anything afterwards is just icing on the cake for more content etc. An time wise the game is set to release towards the end of 2016 or Very early 2017, which is a pretty realistic time frame for game development.

#7: At this point it is already a big success, he has shown successfully that it is possible to do certain things in engine that he's been wanting to do from the start, and they continue to prove that. Just goto there site and scroll through there Demo video's and you might see why so many ppl are backing this game. It is Very unlikely that it Wont be a success on release.

THIS is one of my [Concern]s about Star Citizen. Its heresy to post about it in their forums, but I would much prefer less polygons and ultra high res textures for a smoother running game at a more manageable size. I mean, its barely a working lobby combat game and its something like 20 gigs already!

And they are talking about needing to include even higher res textures to take advantage of 4k monitors... This is what worries me most of all about Star Citizen, at some point that man needs to learn to say NO to some new tech that pops up.

There is a Good reason that it is 20Gigs atm, and that is because it is loosely compressed, once there in the more final stages there start to compress certain portions of the game assets.

This is Completely normal in game development, where they are constantly having to look for bugs or change/tweak something. It saves them a lot of time not having to compress then extract the compressed files over and over.

Also I am running SC on the following rig with little issue at high settings and Still averaging over 40+ FPS.

Phenom II X4 955BE @ 3.8GHz
    8GB G.Skill Ares 1600MHz Cas 8
    MSI R9-270X Gaming 4GB
    Seagate Barracuda 750GB SATA 7200.12 *slowest thing in the system atm :(*

I think once the game is all said an done it'll be roughly 40-50GBs compressed, *look at Shadow of Mordor :O*, which anymore is pretty regular for an MMO type that has high end visuals and lots of voice overs, *SW:ToR*. :eek:
  • zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    If you look at STO how their team structures are and then look at just about any mmo out there that has pvp you can see the answer to this topic. The first thing is that they launched this game knowing full and well that it would just be a substandard death match system because the players who are/will pvp players are such a few in minority it makes the KDF population look like a huge majority of the player base.

Now against other mmorpgs I'll use gw2 for example a game that pretty much has more players and guilds than all of cryptics games combined. Their pvp team is bigger than all of the teams involved in STO. So that said unless they have some pvp team forming or being hired you won't ever see pvp go further than it is in this game right now.

Although with my experience in game design way before mmorpg's came out with this soft core pvp stuff you see now of days even if I had a small team myself to work with I could design something way better than we have right now. Heck you can even turn time gating with pvp where people see it in a positive way. The only real work to be done is the story and maps behind it all. This is just an idea of how I would start it though first they would have to fix the broken code that makes 20 players lag an instance to the point of drastic lag. Then what you would do is separate ques how they work into at least 3 sides and not factions because then federation side would always win. So it would be something like Maquis, Mirror Universe, and like maybe Orion Syndicate(which it wouldn't matter because the way you look would be changed entering this type of match up). I think Stahl though had a great idea back when he wanted something like faction reps but to improve on the idea based on what story of pvp you are doing 1st, 2nd, and third place could pick foot hold territory based on what those players want and given priority based on that order. So in all there is potential with this game but unless the effort is put into it any new game that doesn't follow 80's and 90's online pvp standards will be better or make pvp like STO's obsolete.
    edited November 2014
    aureleus wrote: »
    #1: You apparently have not even looked very much into SC, it is so far off to a good start, everything they have said that they were going to do up to this point they have done.

That is an out right lie. The game is so still under development that it is to early to see what it even will look like. I watch ONE of his videos (his latest) and he seemed to still be undecided on how to do what he wants, let alone what he wants. The game is to new, to complex, and to vague.

As for everything he promised, the release date has changed 5 times from what I have seen. Has any large company given him money? has he recieved a single buy out from a large company? These would be indications he is making something profitable. Nobody seems to think he is. Becuase the cost of a game to his scale is closer to 200 million dollars. That includes operation costs for 5 years, Marketing costs, distribution... ect. So his meager 50m is going to get so far. Unfortunately your logic of "the rest is icing on the cake" is a bad idea. Everytime you reach a GOAL??? you add more time to the games release. Sorry bud, your going above and beyond is counter productive here. The specs you listed are also not the average gamer, they are much greater. While a great many people here can rofl stomp your computer, there are still a LOT that can not. So keep in mind, that your computer will not be running one of the parts of that game, but several at the same time.

This game from all that i see, is not likely to be playable if built as intended. Or it will be dumbed down, released in 5 to 10 years, and then it will be long surpassed by other games.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • orondisorondis Member Posts: 1,447 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    This is one of the more preposterous propositions ever to briefly take center stage in human consciousness. Star Trek is not a dogfighting flight sim.

That's good, neither is Star Citizen. It's probably best described as a space adventure MMO. Dogfighting is merely an aspect of it.

The three big gameplay mechanics being implemented are dogfighting, multi-crew and first-person shooter gameplay mechanics. The duties you can fulfill can range from boarding party marine to an explorer in a 200m long Idris.
    It's a Horatio Hornblower in space RPG. It is, therefore, once again, a space-based Sea Dogs MMO.

Which, if you're in a capital class ship, Star Citizen will be doing much better. STO ships move far too fast as it is and it's pretty much a solo affair. In Star Citizen even something the size of a frigate will feel huge, with an interactive interior existing on the same map as the exterior.
    You collect a party of boffs that improve your ship

And in Star Citizen you'll be collecting NPCs or fellow players to help crew your ship.
    you explore space,

Not in STO you don't, especially after the "exploration" clusters were removed. In Star Citizen you do.

It's a commercial, but the emphasis is pretty obvious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zG-82TakEqk

then land on islands/planets for ground.

Which you'll be doing in Star Citizen. Yes, you walk on planets.
    Previously Alendiak
    Daizen - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
    Selia - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
    edited November 2014
    #7: At this point it is already a big success, he has shown successfully that it is possible to do certain things in engine that he's been wanting to do from the start, and they continue to prove that. Just goto there site and scroll through there Demo video's and you might see why so many ppl are backing this game. It is Very unlikely that it Wont be a success on release.

THIS, SO MUCH THIS. Most of the Star Citizen Fan Boys out there have seen the Videos and went "omaigawd its so Awsomemo".

Star Citizen is a MARKETING Success... it is not a game success yet. Can Star Citizen be the greatest game ever... sure. Will it, probably not, chances are it will not be released as intended. The back ups are the lack of organization, and lack of total structure. Lest me real, you will not be playing this game any time soon... So i REFUSE to invest money when all he has is 3 minute videos of what the game COULD be like. You are paying for something that does NOT exist. No amout of videos showing me what it COULD look like are going to convince me otherwise. Come back to this thread in 10 years when or if the game is released and prove me wrong. Till then, dont bother. Your watch the videos point made me laugh... so hard...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2014
    #6: Pretty sure, at this point he has all the money he Truly *Needs* to produce the game, anything afterwards is just icing on the cake for more content etc. An time wise the game is set to release towards the end of 2016 or Very early 2017, which is a pretty realistic time frame for game development.

There is a Good reason that it is 20Gigs atm, and that is because it is loosely compressed, once there in the more final stages there start to compress certain portions of the game assets.

I think once the game is all said an done it'll be roughly 40-50GBs compressed, *look at Shadow of Mordor :O*, which anymore is pretty regular for an MMO type that has high end visuals and lots of voice overs, *SW:ToR*. :eek:

I think you guys are all in for a bit of a shock when he starts new pushes for 5-10 mil here and there. I have went on about in a few posts... he is already well on the way to making the most expensive game to ship in history. If that game doesn't ship he for sure has the title of most expensive vapor title ever. ;)

Showing that its possible to do things in some other companies engine isn't really ground breaking. It is impressive what he has done with the Cry engine I guess though. I'll call it now though just like other games from famous developers that got overhauled every few years while in development cause something new came out... Roberts won't be able to help himself.
    He's using Cry 4 right now... but just wait. DirectX 12 is just around the corner... and Unreal Engine 4 is already 100% ready to go DirectX12. When Crytek updates the cryengine to use Direct 12 in the next year or so. I think you can expect another Hey we needed 20mil guys to make this thing fully DirectX12. All the SC acolytes will support him of course cause he will say things like "All maxwell Nvidia cards are already fully D12 we need to get it in the game" lol

Seeing as you mentioned TOR... I just have to say it. I did beta testing for them for a little over a year before they launched. (the first beta cycle I did was me 50 other players and 20ish devs) Ya that first download was right around 20GB even then.... and I remember hearing them say the exact same BS. Its not very compressed right now we can save lots of space when things get finalized. lol To be honest the game only ever got larger... when it launched I think the last beta version was around 28gb and the launched version was 27 or so. I wouldn't expect them to wave some magic wand and halve the size. Massive texture compression of that nature would really impact load times even on super high end machines.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2014
    I think you guys are all in for a bit of a shock when he starts new pushes for 5-10 mil here and there. I have went on about in a few posts... he is already well on the way to making the most expensive game to ship in history. If that game doesn't ship he for sure has the title of most expensive vapor title ever. ;)

Showing that its possible to do things in some other companies engine isn't really ground breaking. It is impressive what he has done with the Cry engine I guess though. I'll call it now though just like other games from famous developers that got overhauled every few years while in development cause something new came out... Roberts won't be able to help himself.
    He's using Cry 4 right now... but just wait. DirectX 12 is just around the corner... and Unreal Engine 4 is already 100% ready to go DirectX12. When Crytek updates the cryengine to use Direct 12 in the next year or so. I think you can expect another Hey we needed 20mil guys to make this thing fully DirectX12. All the SC acolytes will support him of course cause he will say things like "All maxwell Nvidia cards are already fully D12 we need to get it in the game" lol

Seeing as you mentioned TOR... I just have to say it. I did beta testing for them for a little over a year before they launched. (the first beta cycle I did was me 50 other players and 20ish devs) Ya that first download was right around 20GB even then.... and I remember hearing them say the exact same BS. Its not very compressed right now we can save lots of space when things get finalized. lol To be honest the game only ever got larger... when it launched I think the last beta version was around 28gb and the launched version was 27 or so. I wouldn't expect them to wave some magic wand and halve the size. Massive texture compression of that nature would really impact load times even on super high end machines.

The funny thing with DX12 is that all it does is mimic Mantle *essentially lolz*, it doesn't actually add any other functionality other then some major performance optimizations to the Current DX11.2 API. So in essence DX12 is actually DX11.3 lolz even my 270X which supports DX11.2 will also support DX12 *which I believe MS even mentions in some video's*. An I don't think implementing that optimization into the current engine would take all that long or be excessively expensive to do so.

I also beta tested ToR for over a year, so I know what your talking about with there install size pre-release and after, I think most of that issue stemmed from there Huge amount of VO in ToR, which is Everywhere! lolz. Other then that, texture wise the game wasn't all that demanding and there optimization of the game was pretty poor back then, and some even now lolz. Hell for awhile they couldn't even get AA to work properly O.O lolz.
    edited November 2014
    Just have to say it in this thread as well... you know what the real STO killer is. Eve.

Yep good old spread Sheets online.

It has all the market and world built that SC would love to have. Its a full on sandbox... has Exploring, Mining, Combat. A fitting system very much like STO in its own way. A way to play PvP heavy and a way to play PvE heavy. (its already everything Roberts says he wants SC to be)

What it doesn't have... Directional flight control. (its used a more "realistic" computer style controled flight pathing system for years) .... oh wait whats this ... Yep that's Right Eve has Manual control up on there test server right now. :) In one of there recent forum feedback threads they have also stated they can add full joystick control depending on peoples reactions.

Honestly you wanna know what IS a STO killer imo. Its CCP updating EVE to compete with the EDs and SCS right now. There a better dev by far compared to any of the ones we have been talking about. There game has been live for 10 years and is rock stable... they do one daily server restart that lasts 2min (seriously it goes down for like 2 min and its done)

So far in the last few months they have started updating the UI. It still looks like your in the old school "linux" style desktop right now... but there adding window transparencies... a rewored bar and in general updating things a bit in there next patch (dec4) there adding manual controls for the first time... and over the next few months I think we can expect full joystick for people that want it.

Anyway bottom line if you want SC (as roberts describes it can be 4 years from now) right now... go play some eve. Go back for a month if you where there before and see whats changed... and if you havn't go do there 30 day trial. They let you do pretty much everything accept work the market hard on a trial account.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    What it doesn't have... Directional flight control. (its used a more "realistic" computer style controled flight pathing system for years) .... oh wait whats this ... Yep that's Right Eve has Manual control up on there test server right now. :) In one of there recent forum feedback threads they have also stated they can add full joystick control depending on peoples reactions.

Honestly you wanna know what IS a STO killer imo. Its CCP updating EVE to compete with the EDs and SCS right now. There a better dev by far compared to any of the ones we have been talking about. There game has been live for 10 years and is rock stable... they do one daily server restart that lasts 2min (seriously it goes down for like 2 min and its done)

So far in the last few months they have started updating the UI. It still looks like your in the old school "linux" style desktop right now... but there adding window transparencies... a rewored bar and in general updating things a bit in there next patch (dec4) there adding manual controls for the first time... and over the next few months I think we can expect full joystick for people that want it.

I've been paying close attention to EVE's recent improvements as well. I always loved the premise behind the game and the open sandbox with a real feel of danger. I've been jumping in and out ocassionally, but that wretched UI is/was a pain in the TRIBBLE and I do prefer manual control even though I know that what EVE has currently is more realistic. It's just a personal preference for fun.

Now with the improvements they're talking about they're probably fixing my 2 largest issues with EVE - manual control and UI improvements. I might "migrate" there on a more consistant level if it all goes well. The epic grindfest and slidebar bonanza that they've turned STO into, plus the fact that I can sustain 1, maybe 1.5 chars at full after DR without feeling like I just applied for a second job; combined with the fact that if you play only 1 char, STO does tend to be extremely repetitive has me looking for new/greener pastures.
    I'm a huge Trek fan so I won't quit STO, but my time has dramatically decreased and my money has currently gone elsewhere. Until they make some radical changes in their policies it will remain that way.

So yeah, back to the point - I'm follwing the recent developments of EVE closely, they have the potential to "capture" me.
    HQroeLu.jpg
    edited November 2014
    Just have to say it in this thread as well... you know what the real STO killer is. Eve.

Yep good old spread Sheets online.

It has all the market and world built that SC would love to have. Its a full on sandbox... has Exploring, Mining, Combat. A fitting system very much like STO in its own way. A way to play PvP heavy and a way to play PvE heavy. (its already everything Roberts says he wants SC to be)

Anyway bottom line if you want SC (as roberts describes it can be 4 years from now) right now... go play some eve. Go back for a month if you where there before and see whats changed... and if you havn't go do there 30 day trial. They let you do pretty much everything accept work the market hard on a trial account.

That is 1 thing I really like about CCP, they are Constantly updating there engine with the changing times, unlike Cryptic, which ultimately is going to bite them in the TRIBBLE some time lolz.
    edited November 2014
    The funny thing with DX12 is that all it does is mimic Mantle *essentially lolz*, it doesn't actually add any other functionality other then some major performance optimizations to the Current DX11.2 API. So in essence DX12 is actually DX11.3 lolz even my 270X which supports DX11.2 will also support DX12 *which I believe MS even mentions in some video's*. An I don't think implementing that optimization into the current engine would take all that long or be excessively expensive to do so.

I also beta tested ToR for over a year, so I know what your talking about with there install size pre-release and after, I think most of that issue stemmed from there Huge amount of VO in ToR, which is Everywhere! lolz. Other then that, texture wise the game wasn't all that demanding and there optimization of the game was pretty poor back then, and some even now lolz. Hell for awhile they couldn't even get AA to work properly O.O lolz.

I agree with you on the Dx stuff... just I know Unreal has had a head start on Cry and U4 engine is likely going to show off the 1-2 new features that grab at least some attention. OR they will show off how much better it is at texture compression (seeing as we where talking about it)

I think the real concern for SC will be this... if Cry updates there engine to use DX12. It will force Roberts to make a choice... push forward with an older feature locked Cry engine... or update along with them. This would seem like most people to not be a big deal. Cause ya they update there engine and Roberts just pushes the base changes over into his adapted version. The issue I see is this though. DX12 is in fact a lot different on the developer written shader side of things. Here is a good read on some of the shader changes. What should scare people there is Roberts has likely added some TRIBBLE up shaders ect to the cry engine... which may have to all be re written depending how they implemented them. Its hard to say with out talking to the programming guys he has doing the work.
    I can't see Roberts NOT wanting to push all that into his game though if it isn't already there in some way... cause it solves alot of the issues he is going to have with performance.

Also your right of course TOR is a bad example... that game was a bit of a mess. The game may be a lot different but the developement in a way does remind me of SC. They also tried to use a "standard" engine and mod the heck out of it to do what they wanted. They also went way overbudget... and I know they had a ton of fun trying to make everything work the way they wanted cause the engine just wasn't really perfect for what they wanted to do. We'll see I know where on opposite sides of the Roberts thing... I have zero faith in the guy and you have lots obviously. :) I do hope for all the regular gamers that have sent him cash that I'm 100% wrong.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited November 2014

EVE and STO are so different...they don't have an effect on one another.

Can you honestly see folks going from this environment to that environment?

Personally, I enjoyed that environment more - but the CCP folks are such major tools.
  • crusader2007crusader2007 Member Posts: 1,800 Arc User
    edited November 2014

Dont care much for SPACE pvp...ground might be...Still good luck to those who go that way
    DUwNP.gif

• cers001cers001 Member Posts: 286 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Tor made it obsolete star citizen will dance on its grave
    CVN-65 U.S.S. Enterprise - A ship so badass it survived John McCain.
  • sgtschatzsgtschatz Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    In a word. NO!! STO will remain popular because of trek.:eek: Haters can hate but deep down you know it is true.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2014
    EVE and STO are so different...they don't have an effect on one another.

There not as different as most seem to think. Yes I know you have played Eve Virus :)

Eve has exploration... and its done better then STOs. Way better.

It will have WASD flight combat shortly for those that want that.

It has ... beam weapons... and cannons... and Rockets instead of torps... and it even has Hybrid weapons that are both beams and canonos.

It has a load out system with consoles there mid and low slots work just like STOs console system really. Only in a much more realistic way.

It has much better balancing in general.

I don't know I think its a lot more alike the most other games out there. Sure its different... I don't know though with a bunch of changes CCP is likely to make to compete directly with ED and SC. I think it might be a pretty viable STO replacement. The only thing it doesn't have is the IP. People would have to make do with Amarr Caldari Gallente Minmater instead of Humans Klingons Romulans and Telaxians ;).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    There not as different as most seem to think. Yes I know you have played Eve Virus :)

It will have WASD flight combat shortly for those that want that.

It has ... beam weapons... and cannons... and Rockets instead of torps... and it even has Hybrid weapons that are both beams and canonos.

It has a load out system with consoles there mid and low slots work just like STOs console system really. Only in a much more realistic way.

It has much better balancing in general.

I don't know I think its a lot more alike the most other games out there. Sure its different... I don't know though with a bunch of changes CCP is likely to make to compete directly with ED and SC. I think it might be a pretty viable STO replacement. The only thing it doesn't have is the IP. People would have to make do with Amarr Caldari Gallente Minmater instead of Humans Klingons Romulans and Telaxians ;).

I'm thinking more the Respawn angle here in STO vs. what folks would face in EVE. That would be a significant change for a lot of folks. STO is very casual PvP by comparison.
  • orondisorondis Member Posts: 1,447 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I'm thinking more the Respawn angle here in STO vs. what folks would face in EVE. That would be a significant change for a lot of folks. STO is very casual PvP by comparison.

I'm sure I remember STO not even having a penalty for dying in elite mode.

Meanwhile I remember dying in Eve and having to start all over again.

That's easy, STO has no exploration.
    Previously Alendiak
    Daizen - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
    Selia - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
  • ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Freelancer is currently the one with the FPS space shooter mechanics in a low-cost environment.

Elite will probably be closest to it in terms of semi-casual arcide-oriented play. I dont know if Elite will have trade and exploration and all the rest but earlier editions of the game did so I would be surprised if they didnt.
  • skyranger1414skyranger1414 Member Posts: 1,785 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I can't see Roberts NOT wanting to push all that into his game though if it isn't already there in some way... cause it solves alot of the issues he is going to have with performance.

Whether he wants to or not he´ll have to. The SC backers are notorious for wanting to be on the cutting edge, even if its just for its own sake. If it´ll be a performance boost I´m sure it will get done. Best case scenario it won´t be too bad a hit time wise and its all done behind the curtains and presented as a finished product. The part that will draw the ire of the backers will be delaying ships too much. Last time they had to redo them all, as well as everything already done to implement PBR. Would new shaders necessitate reworking textures, normals, etc as well?
    edited November 2014
    I agree with you on the Dx stuff... just I know Unreal has had a head start on Cry and U4 engine is likely going to show off the 1-2 new features that grab at least some attention. OR they will show off how much better it is at texture compression (seeing as we where talking about it)

I think the real concern for SC will be this... if Cry updates there engine to use DX12. It will force Roberts to make a choice... push forward with an older feature locked Cry engine... or update along with them. This would seem like most people to not be a big deal. Cause ya they update there engine and Roberts just pushes the base changes over into his adapted version. The issue I see is this though. DX12 is in fact a lot different on the developer written shader side of things. Here is a good read on some of the shader changes. What should scare people there is Roberts has likely added some TRIBBLE up shaders ect to the cry engine... which may have to all be re written depending how they implemented them. Its hard to say with out talking to the programming guys he has doing the work.

Also your right of course TOR is a bad example... that game was a bit of a mess. The game may be a lot different but the developement in a way does remind me of SC. They also tried to use a "standard" engine and mod the heck out of it to do what they wanted. They also went way overbudget... and I know they had a ton of fun trying to make everything work the way they wanted cause the engine just wasn't really perfect for what they wanted to do. We'll see I know where on opposite sides of the Roberts thing... I have zero faith in the guy and you have lots obviously. :) I do hope for all the regular gamers that have sent him cash that I'm 100% wrong.

I agree on the assumption that CR will indeed add DX12 to SC, it just wouldn't be smart Not to at this point. As it is, SC will have native Mantle support, which atm is only on AMD based GPUs. So adding in DX12, which any AMD GCN based GPU or current Nvidia card will support. An doing so will also keep the game pretty damn non-biased when it comes to performance.
  • the4monkeysthe4monkeys Member Posts: 172 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Star citizen though is miles away at moment ....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.