test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The Flash - series (SPOILERS)

steamwrightsteamwright Member Posts: 2,820
edited October 2014 in Ten Forward
SPOILERS

Just got done watching the series premier of The Flash over on cwtv.com. Crummy video player, but great show.

1. Fantastic casting John Wesley Shipp (1990's Flash) as Barry's dad. Look forward to seeing him again. side note: anyone notice Barry's lab had a look not unlike the lab in the 1990's version?

2. Love that they bring several allies in on the secret up front. Cliche, though, that they keep it from Iris.

3. At least 3 villains introduced in one way or the other: Reverse-Flash, Weather Wizard, and GRODD. You did catch the empty cage with the name spelled out, yes? Discussions on the internet have suggested a fourth, Cobalt Blue, might have also been shown. In truth, I wonder if the show slyly slipped in actors during the gala scenes who will be portraying villains in the future.

4. The suit introduction was a bit hokey. I appreciated JW Shipp's version better. At least there, in the story the suit was custom tailored for him. Here its already Barry's size and shape. Also didn't like that they had features like the big circle where the lightning bolt would go.

5. They need to be more careful handling Iris West. She's coming across as a cliched ditz, (not the actress' fault. She did fine with what they gave her). Mishandled, this could easily become the Lana Lang of this series. She was mishandled in the 1990's version too. Came across as a whiny type oblivious to anything but her own little view of the world.

6. The big question: Eddie Thawne/Professor Harrison Wells: who are they really? Best theory I've heard so far: Eddie is actually Malcolm Thawne, aka Cobalt Blue, an ancestor of Eobard Thawne, the Reverse-Flash. Which leads us to Harrison Wells, apparent time traveler. His name is obviously a reference to H.G. Wells, so likely a pseudonym. But if Eddie is Malcolm, that leaves room for Wells to be Eobard Thawne, time traveler, and eventually Reverse-Flash, or as he's often called Professor Zoom.

Some observations made by others: Malcolm is obsessed with Barry. Eddie has shown some points that might indicate early signs of obsession, such as happening to be there right when Barry is chasing a mugger. Also apparently studying Barry's blog. Problem: the actors for Eddie & Barry are 7 years difference in age, and it is visible onscreen. Malcolm and Barry were twins (fraternal?). I suppose they could drop the "twin" and just list the characters as brothers.
Eobard began as a fan of Barry Allen and travelled far into the past to meet him. He arrived after Allen's death and was greatly disappointed. It's very possible that Wells represents Eobard, at first as a time traveling fan of Barry, intent upon creating and guiding him until there is a falling out. He did seem obsessed with Barry's DNA for scientific study. It is possible he hopes to improve his own.
Post edited by steamwright on

Comments

• jeffel82jeffel82 Member Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I thought it was a fine pilot. Overstuffed with exposition, but that's a typical pilot problem.

I could do without Barry having a dead parent for no good reason, but from what I understand that's a recent retcon in the comics, too. Which, ugh.

Also, Barry should be Wally. :cool:
    You're right. The work here is very important.
    tacofangs wrote: »
    ...talking to players is like being a mall Santa. Everyone immediately wants to tell you all of the things they want, and you are absolutely powerless to deliver 99% of them.
  • steamwrightsteamwright Member Posts: 2,820
    edited October 2014
    jeffel82 wrote: »
    I thought it was a fine pilot. Overstuffed with exposition, but that's a typical pilot problem.

I could do without Barry having a dead parent for no good reason, but from what I understand that's a recent retcon in the comics, too. Which, ugh.

Also, Barry should be Wally. :cool:

I'd just been thinking on how many superheroes were created because a relative was killed. It was fundamental to the forging of Batman and Spiderman, but I do think it is an overused gimick. In this case, at least, it appears to be a bit different as something of a time causality loop: the murderer appears to be Reverse-Flash time traveling to kill Barry's mom in revenge perhaps for something Flash did in the future. It's a bit better twist than just "mom was killed so I became a hero".

Being a natural redhead myself, I'm fond of Wally, but he's not the one I grew up with. Barry is the man. :) Who knows though? They have a title "the Flash" that can be past from person to person, not unlike Doctor Who's personality/face changes. And we've already seen Barry's end foretold. ;) But I like all the Flashes and am really hoping Jay Garrick plays a role in this series, too. He may already have done so. Someone with super speed moved Barry far away from the house during the yellow/red blur that engulfed his mother. It might have been older Barry, but I'm theorizing it might be Jay.

By the way, I just read that DC intends to get "half" the Justice League on the two shows "Arrow" and "Flash" within the next two years. I've heard Flash ep 3 will have Ronnie (one half of the fused hero Firestorm) with Professor Stein (the other half of classic Firestorm) to be introduced later. I've also heard the Question is headed over to "Arrow".
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited October 2014
    Can I follow It without having seen Arrow, or spoiling it?
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    edited October 2014
    artan42 wrote: »

So far, yes. I've only seen S1 of Arrow, and didn't feel spoiled.

Oliver's cameo is pretty brief, and the only things that could be considered spoilers are that (A) he's met Barry Allen before (I don't think he had powers at the time), and (B) he wears a proper mask now, instead of paint around his eyes.

I'd imagine that future crossovers will be more spoilerific.
    ...talking to players is like being a mall Santa. Everyone immediately wants to tell you all of the things they want, and you are absolutely powerless to deliver 99% of them.
    edited October 2014

jeffel82 is correct. As the trailers have suggested, there is a cameo by Oliver Queen, but it has no spoilers from Arrow. And I've just completed the season premier of Arrow, and it has a non-spoiler moment that dovetails nicely with The Flash premier.

Arrow season premier is very good, btw. There are several series-changing moments in it.
  • lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I'm rather curious about Barry mothers death- it certainly wasn't natural nor was there any explanation from his father despite being in prison for her murder for many years. I didn't read any of the comics but was a big fan and avid watcher of the old Flash series, but don't remember anything about his deceased mother. Still, looks to be more interesting than Gotham or Shield.

...And that Professor guy- time traveller and fake gimp ? WTF- did HE kill Barry's mother ?
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
    edited October 2014
    Actually I may decide to just watch Arrow, it's only up to series 3 anyway.

Is there a thread for 'Gotham'? That's picking up nicely, very macabre in places, a Gothic-Burton feel to it, tonnes better than 'Birds of Prey'.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

• moonshadowdarkmoonshadowdark Member Posts: 1,899 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Actually I may decide to just watch Arrow, it's only up to series 3 anyway.

Is there a thread for 'Gotham'? That's picking up nicely, very macabre in places, a Gothic-Burton feel to it, tonnes better than 'Birds of Prey'.

There is but you would have to brave the terrors of....

*camera zooms in*

TEN FORWARD PAGES 2 AND OVER!

*Appropriate sound effect*

The wormhole beyond page 1 is fraught with terrible conjecture. Some say there is a black hole there, where a terrible beast lies inside of it, eating topics like a starved Targ. Some say it is a heaven for arguments, where the logic is sound and civility is abundant. Some say it is a nightmarish hellscape, where it is nothing but JJ Abrams script readings and Neelix entrees. Some people say "Floo be doop bah bah noop noop pa doop!" because they took a hub cap to the skull and suffered serious brain damage.

Some say these things. But mostly it is just me saying these things.

*smokes pipe*

*slowly retreats into the shadows*
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
    edited October 2014
    lordmalak1 wrote: »
    I didn't read any of the comics but was a big fan and avid watcher of the old Flash series, but don't remember anything about his deceased mother.

I believe Barry's dead mother is a recent retcon - something they added to the comics lore in the last few years.
    I'm rather curious about Barry mothers death- it certainly wasn't natural nor was there any explanation from his father despite being in prison for her murder for many years......And that Professor guy- time traveller and fake gimp ? WTF- did HE kill Barry's mother ?

Observe the yellow-red blur around Barry's Mom, and then read up on this guy.

The most prominent theory about Dr. Wells is that he could be Eobard Thawne, or perhaps a future version of Barry himself. We'll see...
  • adjudicatorhawkadjudicatorhawk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I'm rather curious about Barry mothers death- it certainly wasn't natural nor was there any explanation from his father despite being in prison for her murder for many years. I didn't read any of the comics but was a big fan and avid watcher of the old Flash series, but don't remember anything about his deceased mother. Still, looks to be more interesting than Gotham or Shield.

...And that Professor guy- time traveller and fake gimp ? WTF- did HE kill Barry's mother ?

Read Flashpoint if you want to know why Barry's mom is dead. And I was in disbelief when I saw what major comic storylines they were bringing to the TV screen. Super excited. :)
    Jeff "Adjudicator Hawk" Hamilton
    Systems Designer - Cryptic Studios
    Twitter: @JeffAHamilton
  • adjudicatorhawkadjudicatorhawk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    jeffel82 wrote: »
    The most prominent theory about Dr. Wells is that he could be Eobard Thawne, or perhaps a future version of Barry himself. We'll see...

I'm really hoping Wells is Rip Hunter, or future-Barry, or Jay Garrick. Or maybe even Earth-2 Barry. Him being Zoom just feels like the too-obvious conclusion that everyone reaches first - but I'll still love it if that's what it ends up being.
    Jeff "Adjudicator Hawk" Hamilton
    Systems Designer - Cryptic Studios
    Twitter: @JeffAHamilton
    edited October 2014

jeffel82 started a Gotham thread.

*camera zooms in*

The wormhole beyond page 1 is fraught with terrible conjecture. Some say there is a black hole there, where a terrible beast lies inside of it, eating topics like a starved Targ. Some say it is a heaven for arguments, where the logic is sound and civility is abundant. Some say it is a nightmarish hellscape, where it is nothing but JJ Abrams script readings and Neelix entrees. Some people say "Floo be doop bah bah noop noop pa doop!" because they took a hub cap to the skull and suffered serious brain damage.

*smokes pipe*

EPIC :cool:
  • khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I'm really hoping Wells is Rip Hunter, or future-Barry, or Jay Garrick. Or maybe even Earth-2 Barry. Him being Zoom just feels like the too-obvious conclusion that everyone reaches first - but I'll still love it if that's what it ends up being.

I think that Harison Wells (HG Wells...lol) and Eddie Thrawn will take bits and pieces from Professor Zoom and Hunter Zolomon.
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited October 2014

I like the way you think, sir.

Maybe to bring some more obscure lore in, he could be Booster's son, Supernova. That way, you could introduce the Carter family in reverse order.

There's buzz now that with Flash's success, CW may be reviving the dead syfy plans for a Booster Gold series as a companion to Flash and Arrow. Whatever series they're planning, there is a third supposedly moving forward now.

Then add to that NBC's Constantine, Fox's Gotham, TNT's Teen Titans, CBS's Supergirl... DC is doing something interesting with television, that's for sure.
    edited October 2014
    There's buzz now that with Flash's success, CW may be reviving the dead syfy plans for a Booster Gold series as a companion to Flash and Arrow. Whatever series they're planning, there is a third supposedly moving forward now.

Then add to that NBC's Constantine, Fox's Gotham, TNT's Teen Titans, CBS's Supergirl... DC is doing something interesting with television, that's for sure.

I'm all for more series. Frankly, I'd love to see The Question as a TV series, which likely would work well with fans of shows like X-Files, Person of Interest, and the like. I also prefer the slightly interlinked shows, rather than shows that won't link because they're on different networks.

I'd not heard about the Teen Titans one. Interesting.
    edited October 2014

*camera zooms in*

*smokes pipe*

Hehehe, thanks. I was manually looking for it, I must have skipped over it :o.

#TASforSTO

edited October 2014
    Read Flashpoint if you want to know why Barry's mom is dead. And I was in disbelief when I saw what major comic storylines they were bringing to the TV screen. Super excited. :)

Ouch, the synopsis reads like a bad soap opera. But the Flash was also my favorite 'superhero' because his story wasn't as linear as most other characters are. I'll find a copy and study it. :)
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

• khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I'm all for more series. Frankly, I'd love to see The Question as a TV series, which likely would work well with fans of shows like X-Files, Person of Interest, and the like. I also prefer the slightly interlinked shows, rather than shows that won't link because they're on different networks.

I'd not heard about the Teen Titans one. Interesting.

TNT is doing a show called Titans that will feature **** Grayson coming out from under the shadow of the bat and becoming his own hero...Nightwing.
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
    edited October 2014
    khan5000 wrote: »
    TNT is doing a show called Titans that will feature **** Grayson coming out from under the shadow of the bat and becoming his own hero...Nightwing.

Ha! Amusing forum censorship :D.

#TASforSTO

• grandnaguszek1grandnaguszek1 Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    edited October 2014
    And on to episode 2.

This was a pretty good episode, with the last couple of minutes again being the best part.

Barry's "kryptonite" of hypoglycemia is established. I wish I could put away donuts and pizza like that with no consequences, though the food budget would hurt for it.

An interesting villain is introduced. I say "introduced" because there's no way a villain with that potential really dies in a comic. I'm guessing up front that he has a way to transfer his consciousness into a drone. Assuming they do bring him back, it would be interesting to see if Barry can force an upward limit to the number of drones Multiplex can create and control. Looks like he came close at one point when a drone toppled, apparently unable to be controlled.

Negatives:

1. Some of the story was rather formulaic: Barry and surrogate-dad Joe fight, Barry hates on Joe, Joe has to see he's the problem, Barry and Joe work through it, bond over pizza. All in one episode. It's a formula done to death by TV.

2. Writers of Danielle Panabaker's character need to be flogged. The poor woman is given asinine dialog to spout, always in the frustrative-agressive whiney mode. That got old faster than The...well, you know.

3. Almost as weird is the boy genius who can apparently be a world-class clothing designer, super-fixit man who builds treadmills able to withstand the Flash, and even can cook up a mean batch of super-high energy bars. I know folks can multi-task, and smart folks possibly more so, but this is a bit ridiculous.

I did like the ending. I'm still not entirely sure who Wells really is, but it now seems his goal is two-fold: 1) build Barry into a true superhero, 2) keep him safe until The Crisis in 10 years. In essence, I see him as a morally gray character: willing to do whatever it takes to get Barry to create the supreme sacrifice to save the whole world. I should also note Wells has seemed a tad conflicted on those two points. At first he didn't wan't Barry to intervene (last episode) but now he's moving forward with it, even setting Joe to rights on the matter.

Also...great to see William Sadler (DS9's Sloane) again. Too bad it was a brief visit. Would love to see more DS9 alumni guest star.
    edited October 2014
    I thought the first ep was thin because they were trying too hard to put too much into it, but I'm starting to see a pattern. The second ep just felt weak, no real depth. From the whiney lab tech to lack of explanation of what/why was being stolen from multiplex, and how easily he 'died'.

The flashbacks of Barry's childhood are the most engaging parts of the show. I sure hope this formula is only temporary, it's reminding me more of a cheesy remake than of something groundbreaking like Smallville.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

edited October 2014
    Episode: Things You Can't Outrun

Not a bad episode, though not a homerun, either.

I like how they are selecting DC villains on the basis of their ability to potentially negate Flash's strong points. After tonight's episode, though, you'd think the Flash would add the ventilator mask that Cisco originally had on the suit when it was intended for fire fighting.

The real gems of the episode, though, are the setups for several characters for the future. We meet Caitlin Snow's boyfriend, Ronnie, and watch him "die" in a particle accelerator accident. Caitlin tells Barry that she and Ronnie were opposites that attracted, stating they are "fire and ice". Those who know a bit about DC will understand the reference. Ronnie is destined to become the hero Firestorm, and Caitlin is destined to become the villain Killer Frost.

And of course, there's Wells, whose last minute, behind-the-scenes reveal to the audience shows that the particle accelerator failure was no accident, but his planning all along, with specific intent to create the Flash. There's also his comment about feeling like he'd waited centuries for the event, a not so subtle comment about his apparent time traveling. Oddly, he still seems genuinely surprised at the variations in supervillians being created. You'd think if he had foreknowledge of Barry, and the Crisis to happen in 10 years, that he'd also have an awareness of all villains faced.
    edited October 2014
    After binging on Arrow for a few weeks, I caught up on Flash. It's okay. It seems to be starting off slower than Arrow, even though most of the characters have already been introduced.

I presume some of these superpowered villains will be making their way to Starling City at some point.

I think that Wells will most likely turn out to be Barry from the future, making sure he was 'born' in the first place.

#TASforSTO

edited October 2014
    Great episode this week. The ramp-up to the signature Captain Cold look was great. To be honest, when first introduced, his precision timing of the crime had me thinking Clock King was in town (he will be), but when I saw the liquid nitrogen, I knew who it was.

The Professor turning on Cisco was a surprise, but in keeping with his character. I'm wondering if the failure of one or the other assistant will cause the Wells to snap and do something stupid that will cause the two to become the super powered individuals they are in the comics.

Awesome effects this episode. The train wreck rescue was the highlight for me, but the fast-slow-fast visuals of the armored car heist were great, too. Interpreting a speedster for the screen has always been a challenge (The Six Million Dollar Man had to reverse the effect and show everything in slo-mo wth the odd metallic sound). I think they are getting it right on the show.

I'm kind of sorry they drove off the Barry/Felicity thing so soon. It's clear they're going to drag out the Iris-Eddie thing for many, many episodes, so might as well have something interesting going on meantime.

Knit-pick: when you're the fastest man alive, you don't let the bad guy with the freeze ray monologue before attacking the train. You punch his lights out, repeatedly, disassemble his gun, cuff him, and drag him to a jail cell all before he says his first word.

Lastly, love the tag. Now we have Captain Cold and Heat Wave up and, um, running. :cool:
    edited October 2014
    I had to retire as The Flash, after the police confiscated my trench coat and banned me from the shopping mall car park.. :rolleyes:

You should have run faster. :P