test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

i love the guardian

Comments

• capnmanxcapnmanx Member Posts: 1,452 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    khan5000 wrote: »
    The Intell ships are not meant to be 'hero' ships driven by Picard...which is why they look the way they do.

Well, the Phantom does look a good bit like the Defiant, which was a hero ship.

The Intel stuff just makes them look strange or bad (depending on your point of view); it's the fact that the Eclipse is a cruiser that does not use any variation of the classic 'Enterprise' configuration that makes it appeal to me. I just wish it had some curves.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    So, "inferior" is an oversimplification. In pure DPS? Sure. But I'd like to think there are many ways to both have fun and still be at least highly competitive outside of "highest DPS."

I totally agree with you, my post on the comparison between the two ships was not intended to imply one is Superior and the other Inferior.

For my personal taste, I prefer a more tactically oriented Cruiser, that's me. While my Fleet Assault Cruiser will be 'superior' in terms of raw DPS in a A2B build, the Guardian will excel for Captains that prefer more Science Abilities. The Guardian will be able to take advantage of Gravity Wells or Rifts that I can't produce on my current ship as well as other abilities that will no doubt enhance overall survivability.

The Guardian is a nice ship, it's definitely worth getting and I quite like the look of it. I just don't think it fits my personal style. With the build I use, I can get better results with a T5-U Assault Cruiser or Excelsior. Others will have a different view based on their needs. I haven't ruled out getting one, just because I like the ship, I just doubt that for my needs it will be able to replace my trusty Assault Cruiser. :cool:
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • jer5488jer5488 Member Posts: 506 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Well, to be fair - we also don't know exactly how much benefit intel powers will provide a ship. They could give the Guardian and Eclipse a brutal advantage, or else they could just be a new toy.

The Guardian gets lt intelligence powers, and depending on your build you can either slot grav well, tychen's rift, or higher end sci heals like TSS 3 and/or Sci team 3.

An Avenger or FAC will have greater straight punch, but the Guardian will be a much more interesting ship to fly in my opinion.
  • oneratsonerats Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    To run any intel powers (which looked kinda meh from their descriptions - though who knows what they'll be like in game I guess) the Guardian would have to give up either Emergency Power to Weapons, Emergency Power to Shields, or Engineering Team 1 from an Aux2Batt build. I don't think you could get Aux2Batt (x2), emergency to shields/weapons, and an engineering team into the build all at once if you throw in an intel power in place of an engineering one. Now, if that science station was the intel hybrid that'd be a different story entirely..
  • strykewolf67strykewolf67 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    The Guardian appears to be layed out to match my play-style. And, I like the way it looks.
    [SIGPIC]http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=91438543000&dateline=1409236387[/SIGPIC]

Sarah Knightly - Co-leader; Frontier Explorers - U.S.S. Witchblade
    Rias Gremory - Leader; Frontier Marauders - I.K.S. B'ullwinkle
  • jer5488jer5488 Member Posts: 506 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Well, on Tribble in the preview window at least she has some funky holes in her model. So maybe don't get too excited for her until we see if they're just 'preview window glitches' or actual model problems.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e103/roguedl/Guardian2.jpg
    http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e103/roguedl/Guardian1.jpg

You can really see it when you can move the ship around in the preview window
  • synthiasuicidesynthiasuicide Member Posts: 458 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    onerats wrote: »
    To run any intel powers (which looked kinda meh from their descriptions - though who knows what they'll be like in game I guess) the Guardian would have to give up either Emergency Power to Weapons, Emergency Power to Shields, or Engineering Team 1 from an Aux2Batt build. I don't think you could get Aux2Batt (x2), emergency to shields/weapons, and an engineering team into the build all at once if you throw in an intel power in place of an engineering one. Now, if that science station was the intel hybrid that'd be a different story entirely..

Yeah, I got tired of A2B awhile ago. Went back to Dragon/Drake builds. And honestly it's like the same Boff layout of the Rom D'D. I love the layout.
    Having a beamboat that can lay down Grav Wells. And the Guardian gains a 13th Boff slot. Intel, Just bonus.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • captainoblivouscaptainoblivous Member Posts: 2,284 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I might just move from the fleet ambo and into this thing.
    Reverse tbr tanking is fun!
    I need a beer.

• drazziidrazzii Member Posts: 104 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    With the Guardian now on Tribble and videos posted of the look, I'm not a fan of how the Guardian looks. I am a fan of the BOFF layout, however.

Another example where I wish I could assign a diferent hull--specifically the Sovereign hull--to a specific BOFF layout. I would buy the Guardian ship from the C-Store if I could do that.
    aV2IRVJ.png
  • knockyknocky Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    ANyone know if you can get the Guardian to turn fast enough to have beam banks on the front?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • gpgtxgpgtx Member Posts: 1,579 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    it has a 6.5 turn so probably people do it with the dreadnought cruiser with a turn of 6
    victoriasig_zps23c45368.jpg
    edited October 2014
    gpgtx wrote: »
    it has a 6.5 turn so probably people do it with the dreadnought cruiser with a turn of 6

I think it should be doable, especially with the right gear and boff powers.
    I need a beer.

• lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Don't forget about the new Pilot specialization. That gives turn rate on top of all the other standard methods.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • cptrichardson12cptrichardson12 Member Posts: 143 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    knocky wrote: »
    ANyone know if you can get the Guardian to turn fast enough to have beam banks on the front?

Fleet RCS consoles with armor, Hull HP, and other bonuses, the temporal console, high engine power (hit 75%) with AEGIS engines/Omega Engines, aux to inertial dampeners.

Pain. Suffering. Lots of 'splodiness on the part of the enemy.
    edited October 2014
    Fleet RCS consoles with armor, Hull HP, and other bonuses, the temporal console, high engine power (hit 75%) with AEGIS engines/Omega Engines, aux to inertial dampeners.

Pain. Suffering. Lots of 'splodiness on the part of the enemy.

Don't forget the 8472 rep engines, which also grant +5% defense and +5 inertia which would bring it up to par with the ambassador. They're hypers too.
    I need a beer.

• warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    At least the Guardian looks like a Starfleet design.

Unlike the Fed Intel Ships LOL

The only thing the recent loading screen wallpaper does is highlight how terrible the Fed Intel ships look compared to everything else.
    XzRTofz.gif
    edited October 2014
    I've had a peep at the guardian on tribble and I have to say that though the stats look awesome, that saucer is...awkward looking. The rest of the boat looks fine, but that saucer is just odd looking, especially with the 3 gigantic engines in the back of it and the multiple levels on the top of it.

Imo, that saucer needs to be simplified to really match that nicely flowing secondary hull.
    I need a beer.

edited October 2014
    The saucer does look a bit off to me as well. I just assumed that it was made that way because the ship is getting saucer sep eventually (was tweeted by Geko).
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Well. we'll be able to see her in action tonight (or day, depending on time zones :D) via Smirk's livestream, so we may be in a better position to judge the looks.
    HQroeLu.jpg
    edited October 2014
    Yep, I'm quite looking forward to it myself. Seeing a few pics of it is cool, but nothing beats seeing it in action. I hope he takes it to the tailor and shows off some different part combos.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • minna118minna118 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I just hope he actually equips it properly unlike teh past ships he has done
  • mandarsmashmandarsmash Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    minna118 wrote: »
    I just hope he actually equips it properly unlike teh past ships he has done

From the little bit I was able to see of the stream (keeps cutting out), nope. Captain Smirk does not know how to build.
    edited October 2014
    2 torpedo skills (TS3 and HY1) and it has a harpang, transphasic cluster, and the tricobalt cluster LOL not a single one benefits from the torpedo skills

and rainbow lol
    edited October 2014
    Terrible build he had, but yeah I'm now dead set on buying this thing. Being able to remove the silly bumper on the saucer and the mini nacelles fixes it for me. I'm sure I can get that thing looking great now.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
    edited October 2014
    same i just wish there was different saucer option that looked more ambassador-ish or galaxy-ish (the multi-tiered saucer just does not flow with the mostly smooth engineering hull
    edited October 2014
    gpgtx wrote: »
    same i just wish there was different saucer option that looked more ambassador-ish or galaxy-ish (the multi-tiered saucer just does not flow with the mostly smooth engineering hull

This is exactly what I have been thinking!
    I need a beer.

• captzabjudahcaptzabjudah Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Hi all, didn't get a chance to catch Smirk with the reviews on the Guardian, if someone have video of the guardian please post, would like to see it in action thanks in advance. :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    So Smirk's building style apart, I'm wondering how you guys that saw the livestream feel about the ship now? Also I wanted to ask if anyone noticed - the saucer on the underside, is it flat or does it actually have some "meat" to it on the underside as well? I thought it was flat, but it seemed like it's not totally flat on the underside from what I was able to see.

I'm happy with the customization options it got - "unifying" the split bussard collectors and dumping the mini nacelles while retaining the standard Guardian pylons were at the top of my list. Happy that the "bumper" can go bye-bye as well. The "hand" holding the saucer in Cryptic's designs is something I loathe, although this one looks shockingly well on the top. On the underside however.....there is something 'off' with that part, I'm not sure I can clearly pin-point what.

I'm still not decided between this and the Dauntless for my new sci. char. I'm going to get one ot those 2, I'm just not sure which one I prefer yet. Looks are the no.1 in the decision for me and I don't know yet, this ship looks great and has an amazing Boff layout yet I feel like something is missing design-wise. :confused: What do you guys think? Or have I just played one cruiser too many and am going insane? :D
    HQroeLu.jpg