test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Anniversary DSD: Worth it?

gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
edited September 2014 in Klingon Discussion
Alright, curious question here: Still got a few hours left in the Lobi sale and I wanted to pick up the Klingon Dyson Science Destroyer for my Sci-Gorn. Now I know the Warp Core is pretty good, especially for science vehicles and I DO have the Science Vessel from the giveaway on hand, but I'm curious if picking up the DSD is worth it for anything more than just the Warp Core
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• seriousdaveseriousdave Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    If you've got the Varanus from the giveaway recently then no. The klingons may have a severe lack in the science department but the DSD is not among the best options for sci.
  • lindalefflindaleff Member Posts: 3,734 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Stick with the Varanus.
    I completed a 2-man CSE, ISE, and KASE, Optionals included. And I soloed Winter Invasion.
    My Ship Builds: USS Conqueror, HMS Victorious, HMS Concord, ISS Queen Elizabeth, Black Widow III
    Click here to view my DeviantArt.
  • ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    T6 lobi ships in a few months and you'll regret anything you spent on T5 dead-end
  • davidwforddavidwford Member Posts: 1,836 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    The secondary deflector is marginally better and completes the Dyson console set if you are planning on using one of the C-store Dyson ships. But other than that, I wouldn't really bother with it.
  • talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    At the time, I picked up the KDF dsd cause there really was not much better I wanted to pay for KDF side. Well got the veranus for free so that helped. But yeah, KDF is lacking Sci ships.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,723 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Depends if you want to run the Solanae set or not; the metaphasic shield is a nice panic button.

As for the ship itself, you're better off with one of the ADSDs; especially if you have the Varanus already.
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited September 2014
    davidwford wrote: »
    The secondary deflector is marginally better and completes the Dyson console set if you are planning on using one of the C-store Dyson ships. But other than that, I wouldn't really bother with it.

Seeing as it may be the only ship with a 2nd deflector for a while
    AND
    that you can upgrade that deflector to golden quality
    AND
    the T5U DSD is getting a 5th console slot
    THEN
    The DSD might make a fine drain boat in expansion 2. Heck, using Tachyon Beam 2 or 3 on that thing would make shields melt off.
  • rmy1081rmy1081 Member Posts: 2,840 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    lucho80 wrote: »
    AND
    AND
    THEN
    The DSD might make a fine drain boat in expansion 2. Heck, using Tachyon Beam 2 or 3 on that thing would make shields melt off.

it's also getting a free upgrade because it's a "lobi" ship. I'll be running mine for a little while before I get around to upgrading my other ships.
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    lucho80 wrote: »
    AND
    AND
    THEN

If only the DSD actually had a traditional KDF skin and not that stupid Dyson white. Slap a Type 3 texture or something on the DSD? That's half the win right there lol
    XzRTofz.gif
  • rodentmasterrodentmaster Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    ALL of the DSDs are subpar and woefully inadequate. Simply skip them.

On top of that (salt in the wound) is the in-your-face marketting and mass-spamming of no less than TEN different versions of the ship (9 store, 1 lobi/anniversary) that ARE ALL THE SAME FREAKING THING!

Avoid it. It's bad, and you encourage bad thinking in Cryptic when you purchase their bad products. Get a good product instead.

Better yet, wait for DR and see what options unfold then.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    edited September 2014
    My opinion... do what you want.
    The DSD does come with the free T5U upgrade when DR comes out, so there is that going for it. But ultimately... the decision is yours on what to spend your lobi on.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    edited September 2014
    rattler2 wrote: »
    My opinion... do what you want.
    The DSD does come with the free T5U upgrade when DR comes out, so there is that going for it. But ultimately... the decision is yours on what to spend your lobi on.

That's the thing.

T-5U ships are a dead end development compared to the true T6 ships, and whatever else comes out from that point onwards.

So should one dump valuable lobi into a ship that even when upgraded is never going to be up to par with a true T6 ship?

Or maybe save that lobi towards a true T6 lobi ship? Because they WILL come and I would not be surprised that a so-far unannounced lobi/lockbox ship shows up with the new lockbox for DR.

To me, the answer is obvious. It's why I've recommended for people to NOT buy any existing lockbox/lobi ship until everything settles with DR. Unless you can snipe one off the exchange for dirt cheap due to the seller missing a few 0's.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • dknight0001dknight0001 Member Posts: 1,542
    edited September 2014
    If only the DSD actually had a traditional KDF skin and not that stupid Dyson white. Slap a Type 3 texture or something on the DSD? That's half the win right there lol

Can you put the KHG Shield on it and make it look more Klingon?
    I was once DKnight1000, apparently I had taken my own name so now I'm DKnight0001. :confused:
    If I ask you a question it is not an insult but a genuine attempt to understand why.
    When I insult you I won't be discreet about it, I will be precise and to the point stupid.
  • dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Be careful:

1. The "anni"/Lobi DSD is a 9 console bird (T5+1 grade) ship with the specialized secondary deflector and warp core necessary to complete those two set(s).
    2. The C-store variants are the 10 console (T5.5 fleet grade) ships with the various consoles necessary for one of the sets. Thinking the set with the deflector, but not 100% certain at this second.

The 9 Console DSD, due to heavy grinding / lobi status, gets a "free pass" to T5U10 level, while the C-store variants are gonna be "pay to upgrade", but obviously reach that T5U11 level...

Honestly, IMO, the lobi variant is an ok ship, and makes for quite the passable Sci bird for KDF - being your choices are DSD, Varanus, or Carrier... However, due to it's expense and lack of "fleet strength", I'd be ready to drop on the C-store version(s) - and at $25 per, $50 for all 3 on one race, and $100 for all 3 races, I'd strongly examine your use(s) for the ship, and either spring for the KDF 3 pack, or the whole hog mess. I went whole hog because I keep a DSD "back pocketed" on my Rom Sci - normal ship = T'varo, and plan to give my Rom Tac one someyear - Sci at heart here... Therefore, my Fed Sci Alt (original main) has one slotted because, well, if I was gonna pay $100 for 2 races, might as well get the whole 3 race kit...
    Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
    edited September 2014
    Can you put the KHG Shield on it and make it look more Klingon?

You can but I don't want to be locked into using specific equipment. I'm one of those guys that change builds and gear all the time.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • oninotaki18oninotaki18 Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    This is the image that changed the DSD for me. When I saw this I knew the DSD was really the klingon sci ship and they just gave copies of it to feds and roms.

http://i1131.photobucket.com/albums/m559/Oninotaki/DysonKlingonHonorGuard_zpsa7d1b291.jpg?t=1411138713

Before I saw that image I hated the ship for a million reasons. now I am very happy I grabbed the free one for my 1 klingon sci character.