test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Playing as the bad ever going to happen?

neoforce42neoforce42 Member Posts: 126 Arc User
I was just thinking that we never seem to be allowed to play as consistent bad guy like in the Romulan faction where we couldn't join the Tal-shiar to hunt down those rebels. :rolleyes:

Then there's infamous Borg who basically don't seem to do much assimilating in space since it would be funny to see a team members ship to get assimilated for a short time in PVE with maybe some sort of counter boarding to help them.

Anyway well been screaming for a Borg faction since the beta, well that might never happen and closest we'll get is by being friends with the Collective but that's not really the same since it's back to being the good guy again. I suspect people maybe seeing a pattern here since a lot probably assumed when the Romulan faction was announced that be stalking the Federation, Klingons a lot but sadly we're being hunted down like prey.

I was thinking maybe STO needs to cater to the people that just want to see everything fall to pieces. :D Maybe even destroy/assimilate a planet or 2 in the Delta quadrant, even if it's any generic planet that nobody has heard of.
vevutq3kggic.png

My ultimate Doom open world mod:

http://www.moddb.com/games/doom-compile-project
Post edited by neoforce42 on

Comments

• fatman592fatman592 Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    They had a bad guy faction, few people wanted to join it. Even after years of content few people care about this faction. If there is another enemy faction most people will still chose to be Fed.

But making the Romulans overpowered was a stroke of brilliance. Even then, most people still pay Fed side.

Being bad is more about what you do. RP and PvP allow you to have more options for your character in terms of expression.
  • groomofweirdgroomofweird Member Posts: 1,045 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Im being too lazy to look it up but it has been mentioned a while back by devs that there will be no "bad guy" faction.
    Nimoysig1_zpsr79joxz3.jpg
    "If this will be our end, then I will have them make SUCH an end as to be worthy of rememberance! Out of torpedos you say?! Find me the ferengi!".
  • nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    no, you can it just gets pushed aside. also have played the feds they are insane and infested with undine spies. no one is ever "the bad guy" from their own pov.

and kdf...
    what... I don't know were those orion slavers got those vulcans. I don't even know why anyone wants those pointy eared cold blooded TRIBBLE. and I swear I executed those crew men who raided that ship to get said vulcans.

and RR you get to pick your brand of evil.

and what do you mean a number of my crew are holo hookers... I really must make sure to get a cut.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • moonshadowdarkmoonshadowdark Member Posts: 1,899 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Probably because, as a bad guy, you will lose and be brutally killed and can't play that character anymore.

So, yeah.....
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • enderssoupenderssoup Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    How dare you contribute an idea to STO :P
    your knowledge shall be assimilated.
    Excuse me, excuse me, would you mind stopping that darn noise?
    obscene gesture, vulcan neck pinch, claps, cheers
  • neoforce42neoforce42 Member Posts: 126 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Yes how dare I want an awesome idea that needs to be innovated. :P

But haven't heard the dev's say no to the idea in the past, last I heard was back in the early years they were considering it but obviously that never happened for the Borg. :rolleyes:

As for the Romulans, Klingons sure there are some that do bad things but we as the players don't seem to be allowed to do anything put evil like dooming an entire civilzation just because they didn't give us their ore or w/e trades we want. :D
    vevutq3kggic.png

• dpsloss88dpsloss88 Member Posts: 765 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    This would be a cool thing. Temporarily flagged as evil. Assimilated, Tal Shiar brain wash, etc.
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    No, never going to happen. Next question, please.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • imruinedimruined Member Posts: 1,457 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    'Bad guys' in Star Trek? There are none... It's all a matter of perspective...

Not even the Borg are 'bad guys' from their own perspective as they believe that assimilation is progress for all species...

Good and bad is always a matter of perspective, and since Star Trek is usually taken from the point of view of the Federation, the Klingons are/were the 'bad guys' depending on what series (or even episodes) you're watching...

Hell, the Andorians, Xindi, and even Vulcans to a lesser degree, were 'bad guys' in Enterprise...
    The entitlement is strong in these forums...

not_funny_Q_shadows_small.jpg
  • fatman592fatman592 Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Well in two years, with seven toons, I'm pure evil.

I've probably killed billions by now. I've destroyed untold energy credits worth of property. I've disregarded orders and have sent thousand of my crew to their deaths. I have committed so many war crimes in the name of profit. I've spent years fine tuning builds just to be a more efficient killer.

Right now, many of us are slaying a sentient being, the crystalline entity, instead of attempting to communicate or simply repel it.

Evil is what we all are... wait, it's just the holodeck.

Point is, you are what you decide to be. Why ask the devs to do something that you determine for yourself?
  • neoforce42neoforce42 Member Posts: 126 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Maybe down to perspective but last time I checked assimilating all worlds against someones wishes was evil, pretty sure destroying an entire planet full of innocents was pretty evil of Nero, there's the Sphere builders that tricked the Xindi into an attack which was based on lies, later led to an all out war in the near future.

Plus I think we can all agree on what the definition of evil is but it be nice to do something evil for a change, have consequences that impact the player like a moral system like turning rouge from the Federation, becoming part of the Maquis. Even if it's not evil it be nice to become part of a separate faction that's split without their own alternate motives like a Federation that might want to join the Tal-shier or a Klingon that might actually want to join the Federation like Worf or becomes a Undine to infiniltrate the Federation.

Fatman592 has the idea pretty well, we already torture the Crystal Entity frequently.lol
    The reason why we have to is because the dev's are the reason why I can't ram my Scitimar into the Earth starbase or destroy Earth with the Poloran..........
    vevutq3kggic.png

• squatsaucesquatsauce Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Playing as the bad guy isn't much fun because, in Star Trek, the bad guy exists only to be defeated or, in rare cases, to be shown the inherent superiority of the good guy's ideology shortly before becoming a good guy himself.

If you were to play as the Tal'Shiar, for instance, your missions would usually involve you sitting around in one place cackling to yourself about how clever your schemes are for a while before a group of player ships showed up to curb stomp you.

Playing as Borg would be worse. You'd create a character and then the game would immediately start playing the game for you.

EDIT: For clarity and spelling
    edited September 2014
    neoforce42 wrote: »
    Maybe down to perspective but last time I checked assimilating all worlds against someones wishes was evil, pretty sure destroying an entire planet full of innocents was pretty evil of Nero, there's the Sphere builders that tricked the Xindi into an attack which was based on lies, later led to an all out war in the near future.

Plus I think we can all agree on what the definition of evil is but it be nice to do something evil for a change, have consequences that impact the player like a moral system like turning rouge from the Federation, becoming part of the Maquis. Even if it's not evil it be nice to become part of a separate faction that's split without their own alternate motives like a Federation that might want to join the Tal-shier or a Klingon that might actually want to join the Federation like Worf or becomes a Undine to infiniltrate the Federation.

Fatman592 has the idea pretty well, we already torture the Crystal Entity frequently.lol
    The reason why we have to is because the dev's are the reason why I can't ram my Scitimar into the Earth starbase or destroy Earth with the Poloran..........

There is no true definition of evil. Armus justified his actions as a form of acting out against his creators. The Borg justify their actions by claiming that the Collective is a perfect society. The Maquis wanted freedom to live on the worlds they settled for decades. The Cardassians believed that they were owed. Klingons simply believe that violence and combat are a part of life and death in battle was an honor and a privilege. The only "evil" in this universe is the Iconians, and even then their motives are quite enigmatic.

Plus. being evil isn't actually all that fun. When you play a game with optional morality, the fun of being bad is because it is unexpected of you to do it. Look at Mass Effect. Commander Shepard is this human hero that everyone respects and adores for his actions against the Reapers. So it's fun when you throat punch a reporter because "lol Hero punches reporter! How wacky and inconceivable!" Then you look at Overlord II, where your options are either be evil or be slightly MORE evil. Then every choice you make doesn't matter. It feels like the game is just humoring you and you just feel like a boob with a sword who's not actually making a statement about how evil he is. You just feel like it's just going through the motions and you start wondering why even bother?
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
    edited September 2014
    Plus. being evil isn't actually all that fun. When you play a game with optional morality, the fun of being bad is because it is unexpected of you to do it. Look at Mass Effect. Commander Shepard is this human hero that everyone respects and adores for his actions against the Reapers. So it's fun when you throat punch a reporter because "lol Hero punches reporter! How wacky and inconceivable!"

Yeah but then you get to the really nasty ones like betraying your very good friend Urdnot Wrex and then killing him when he finds out you metaphorically stabbed him in the back. Notice how all the "lol, Shepard is a jerk" comments turned into "OMG, Shepard is EVIL" after ME3 came out?
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

edited September 2014
    starswordc wrote: »
    Yeah but then you get to the really nasty ones like betraying your very good friend Urdnot Wrex and then killing him when he finds out you metaphorically stabbed him in the back. Notice how all the "lol, Shepard is a jerk" comments turned into "OMG, Shepard is EVIL" after ME3 came out?

I think that was mostly because of the Starchild.

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited September 2014
    fatman592 wrote: »
    Well in two years, with seven toons, I'm pure evil.

I've probably killed billions by now. I've destroyed untold energy credits worth of property. I've disregarded orders and have sent thousand of my crew to their deaths. I have committed so many war crimes in the name of profit. I've spent years fine tuning builds just to be a more efficient killer.

Right now, many of us are slaying a sentient being, the crystalline entity, instead of attempting to communicate or simply repel it.

Evil is what we all are... wait, it's just the holodeck.

Point is, you are what you decide to be. Why ask the devs to do something that you determine for yourself?

*CLAP*

*CLAP*

*CLAP*

Bravo. Two thumbs up. Remember when Star Trek was about exploring the various possibilities for existence?
  • nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    *CLAP*

*CLAP*

*CLAP*

Bravo. Two thumbs up. Remember when Star Trek was about exploring the various possibilities for existence?

I think that happened into TNG for a while... VOY shockingly enough probably had the most.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • damienvryce2damienvryce2 Member Posts: 428 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Face it we're all evil. :cool:
    STO: Where men are men and the women probably are too.
    I support the Star Trek Battles channel.
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Face it we're all evil. :cool:

Every villain is a hero in their own mind.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • groomofweirdgroomofweird Member Posts: 1,045 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    yeah But Then You Get To The Really Nasty Ones Like Betraying Your Very Good Friend Urdnot Wrex And Then Killing Him When He Finds Out You Metaphorically Stabbed Him In The Back. Notice How All The "lol, Shepard Is A Jerk" Comments Turned Into "omg, Shepard Is Evil" After Me3 Came Out?

How Could You! :p
    Nimoysig1_zpsr79joxz3.jpg
    "If this will be our end, then I will have them make SUCH an end as to be worthy of rememberance! Out of torpedos you say?! Find me the ferengi!".
    edited September 2014
    *CLAP*

*CLAP*

*CLAP*

Yeah, but then it got boring and Tribbles started humping and well...here we are.

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
    edited September 2014
    I think that was mostly because of the Starchild.

Bull. Unless you're going to claim that the Catalyst was controlling her actions throughout the entire game, if you took that option it means Shepard chose to do that of her own free will.
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,362 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I talked my very good friend Urdnot Wrex down, convincing him that Saren was probably lying about having a cure for the genophage, and that even if he wasn't, the price was too high.

Later, he was the chief of all the clans on Tuchenko, when I brought Grunt (no relation) there to find out what was wrong with him. Wrex and I also worked together to get the female krogan back from the salarians, and to defeat the Mother Worm and release Mordin's cure for the genophage.

And "renegade" isn't "evil" - it's "efficient". Sure, Shepard could shame the reporter in front of her millions of viewers (that's the option I usually take) - but shutting her up with a punch is so much faster, and arguably better for her reputation...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    edited September 2014
    Bull. Unless you're going to claim that the Catalyst was controlling her actions throughout the entire game, if you took that option it means Shepard chose to do that of her own free will.

No I mean that players hate the Catalyst so much, they would rather believe Shepard is totally evil than admit that the Catalyst was needed to defeat the Reapers.

I will never understand why people think that just because you're human, you can kill just about any evil in the universe.

THEY'RE GIANT FRAKKING ROBOT CUTTLEFISH GOD MACHINES WHO HAVE BEEN HARVESTING LIFE FOR EONS. HOW THE BALLS DO YOU THINK YOUR RAGTAG GROUP OF SPECIES IS GOING TO DEFEAT THEM WITHOUT HELP FROM THE BEING WHO MADE THEM?!

:rolleyes:

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
    edited September 2014
    jonsills wrote: »
    I talked my very good friend Urdnot Wrex down, convincing him that Saren was probably lying about having a cure for the genophage, and that even if he wasn't, the price was too high.
    That's not the one I was talking about. I meant in Mass Effect 3 where you have the option to either cure the genophage or lie to Wrex about having cured it. In the latter case he finds out later and tries to kill you for betraying him.
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• damienvryce2damienvryce2 Member Posts: 428 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    iconians wrote: »
    Every villain is a hero in their own mind.

True. But evil, like everything else, is in the eye of the beholder.
    STO: Where men are men and the women probably are too.
    I support the Star Trek Battles channel.
  • squatsaucesquatsauce Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    True. But evil, like everything else, is in the eye of the beholder.

Evil = Corneas.
  • catoblepasbetacatoblepasbeta Member Posts: 1,532 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    We won't get the ability to play as a bad guy, Cryptic doesn't think it would be as profitable as playing as a good guy. If they were willing to completely rewrite the role of the Romulans for LoR, ignoring their well-established role as villains in the various series, you can bet that if/when Borg, Cardassians, Dominion, w/e ever become playable, they will be in a similar 'hero' role to what the Romulans got.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,362 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    "Bad guy" is lazy writing anyway. Everyone always believes they're in the right, that whatever they're doing is justified by the situation and future generations will come to understand.

The Borg honestly believe that assimilation is a genuine good, that it brings an end to discord and strife. Sure, you object now, but if you really understood, you'd welcome them.

The Klingons believe that it is only right that the strong rule the weak, and that any ethical system which denies this fails to serve the good. They see the Federation as encouraging weakness, and undermining the warrior ethos.

Even the Tal'Shiar think that protecting the Star Empire is far more important than petty philosophical nonsense about "freedom" or "justice". How far does being "free" and "just" take you when an Orion slaver attacks?

Only children and the mentally disturbed think that being the "bad guy" is a Kewl Thing To Do. In the case of children, it may have to do with the fact that their status as moral actors has been abrogated during their youth, and that at least being self-consciously Evil is asserting some agency over themselves. No society so constituted could long endure, however, as the self-consciously Evil will forever be betraying and destroying one another.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png