What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Duty Officer Weekend Event [Now Ended]

Comments

• toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    - "No romulan Doff" -

Finally!

Why didn't you say that prior to the event? Or when it started?

At last I can start dropping the mission.
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • royalsovereignroyalsovereign Member Posts: 1,344 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    During the event, an old Romulan-only version of the Reinforcements mission was available on New Romulus Command asking players to talk to a contact that no longer exists. As a result, the mission was not able to be completed and many players were confused as to what they needed to do in order to get their special Duty Officer.
    My only real problem with this explanation is that there was apparently a doff created for this. So this particular doff just got circular-filed along with the mission. And the explanation just ... it just smells wrong. Sorry, Smirk, I try not to shoot messengers.

I don't mean to sound bitter about this, but could we not have been given this information last time instead of being allowed to think it was 'fixed'?

I've usually got your back, Cryptic, since the first time I earned a cape in City of Heroes. But this time ... I'm highly disappointed.
    "You Iconians just hung a vacancy sign on your asses and my foot's looking for a room!"
    --Red Annorax
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Sorry, I've got better things to do than grind all day for doffs. Like sticking my hand in a table saw.

I'll pass on your Junior Officer Unappreciation Event.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • t0xsick2t0xsick2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    starswordc wrote: »
    Sorry, I've got better things to do than grind all day for doffs. Like sticking my hand in a table saw.

I'll pass on your Junior Officer Unappreciation Event.

Spent 45 min, got a purple tech, sold it for 12 mil, *shrugs*
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    t0xsick2 wrote: »

One in every crowd. You got damn lucky.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
    edited August 2014

Maybe it's some sort repentance for all the lock boxes I've opened and never getting anything :P
  • sunseahlsunseahl Member Posts: 827 Arc User
    edited August 2014

~snipped for length~

~CaptainSmirk

Here we go with the lies again....

1. If Rojal was never intended to exist why were we never told that from the beginning?

2. If Rojal or his reward was never intended to exist why in the worlds did YOU, captainsmirk, say that the team was trying to get the reward out to players?

I'm sorry Smirk... You may be the bottom of the chain at being told stuff from management but as the community leaders you and Trendy SHOULD be informed or ask devs, up front, what stuff is supposed to and not supposed to be in the game. You guys are ALWAYS the final link between the players and the game itself and when this kind of TRIBBLE comes up re-writing history is a no-no.
    Member of the "Disenchanted"
    We don't want what the Feds have. We want the equivalent. We want fairer treatment. Concern, desire, greed to some extent, and passionate belief that the enough people would buy KDF items to make it worth Cryptic's while.
  • anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    edited August 2014

The time sounds about normal if you were used to the old event, but then you're on record as hating the Academy event from back when it was an hourly. Getting a Technician is pretty lucky, though. I believe that I got 3 of those in 48 runs of this last time around, all using Eng cadets/Bekks.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • policestate76policestate76 Member Posts: 1,424 Arc User
    edited August 2014

Well, you got real luck there. Not too many people will waste 12 million on a purple doff.. :P

And again, there are faster and more practical ways to get purple doffs. The first 30-45 minutes in 3 of my toons its enough to say goodbye to this dumb event. Only gathered 3 purple doffs, but seriously.. i have better things to do in STO than get bored to death grinding for just 1 purple doff. 75 particle fragments.?? come on....
  • killdozer9211killdozer9211 Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Your Special DOffs from the Junior Officer Appreciation event...

Feds get the Exocomp
    KDF get the Reman

Both of whom you can obtain from the event contact at their Faction's respective Academies.

As far as the Romulan DOff, as many of you have seen from the update to the event, Rojal no longer exists on the map, and will not be returning.

The last time we ran this event, there was a bit of old data that crept its way into this event that had an unfortunate consequence for some of our Romulan players.

During the event, an old Romulan-only version of the Reinforcements mission was available on New Romulus Command asking players to talk to a contact that no longer exists. As a result, the mission was not able to be completed and many players were confused as to what they needed to do in order to get their special Duty Officer.

Had the NPC been able to give Romulan players the correct mission on New Romulus Command, they would have been directed to either Starfleet or Klingon Academy, based upon their factional allegiance, to talk to the same contacts used by Federation and Klingon players to receive their special Duty Officer: an Exocomp for Federation-aligned Romulans, and a Reman for Klingon-aligned Romulans.

We apologize for any inconvenience experience by players during this event. We have taken steps to ensure this doesn’t happen again during this Junior Officer Appreciation Weekend Event, and when it is run again in the future.

While this will remain forever on my never forget list, it will be because I couldn't bring you the Romulan Liberated Borg DOff everyone was expecting.

While I have been able to help out with other issues and requests over the last several months, this time I won't be able to bring you this reward.

I'm very sorry I can't create this DOff for you all. but I sincerely hope you enjoy this weekend event, and that you are able to complete the event mission to get your hands on many high quality DOffs during the current running.

Thanks for your understanding everyone!

~CaptainSmirk

Thank you for being up front with us smirk. Just to clarify, is this doff never coming or will it be added eventually?
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Thank you for the clarification, Trevor. It's not news I wanted to hear, but thank you for communicating it to us.

That said, it's a waste of developer time and labor hours creating a duty officer that is never going to get released.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • swamarianswamarian Member Posts: 1,506 Arc User
    edited August 2014

Snip
    ~CaptainSmirk

Thank you
    (filler)
  • no09dysonsphereno09dysonsphere Member Posts: 410 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    iconians wrote: »
    That said, it's a waste of developer time and labor hours creating a duty officer that is never going to get released.

I'd imagine it takes all of 5 seconds to copy an entry in a database and a minute tops changing the icon, name, traits, species, etc - the only hard part is creating unique doff powers which isn't the case here. But that only makes it even more annoying that Romulan players get such a small selection of viable Romulan faction doffs (basically the Tal Shiar lock box doffs or be extremely lucky on a recruitment mission...).
    edited August 2014
    anodynes wrote: »
    The time sounds about normal if you were used to the old event, but then you're on record as hating the Academy event from back when it was an hourly. Getting a Technician is pretty lucky, though. I believe that I got 3 of those in 48 runs of this last time around, all using Eng cadets/Bekks.

Yes I'm used to old academy event. But the part about me being on record of as of hating it????? could you clarify that?
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I'd imagine it takes all of 5 seconds to copy an entry in a database and a minute tops changing the icon, name, traits, species, etc - the only hard part is creating unique doff powers which isn't the case here. But that only makes it even more annoying that Romulan players get such a small selection of viable Romulan faction doffs (basically the Tal Shiar lock box doffs or be extremely lucky on a recruitment mission...).
    the doff in question seems to have unique art. This really doesn't make sense to me. Why go to the work fo creating everything, then after it's ready decide to toss it?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Yes I'm used to old academy event. But the part about me being on record of as of hating it????? could you clarify that?

My post was in reply to starswordc, it even has a quote to signify that. Still, sorry for any confusion that might have caused you.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited August 2014

From what Geoff Tuffli said, making handcrafted doffs is actually a fairly time-intensive process.

What we imagine things to be and what they actually are in terms of game development can often be widely different.

In any case, the fact remains development time and labor hours were spent on this entire ordeal, including the time Smirk had to take to type out this communication to us, and to have it in the original dev blog.

If there is nothing to show for it, regardless of how easy or hard said development takes -- I think it's a fair criticism to say it was a waste of time that could have been better spent elsewhere.

Alternatively, they could find a way to salvage this. But that's outside of Smirk's hands.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • sinn74sinn74 Member Posts: 1,149 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Oh well, at least the weekend isn't a total wash. Lots of CXP to be had by all.

Well, not all. Don't forget the DOFF lockups.
  • mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    What stings the most is that the Romulan Doff in question already exists in the database/Doff table. She's there. We can see her listed in the mission reward. https://i.imgur.com/mB8tdlU.jpg We just can't get her due to a missing contact (that still shows a circle on the game map). It's right out of arm's reach but we know it's there.

I would like to reiterate that I appreciate Smirk being candid about the truth though. Bad news is better than no news.
    sinn74 wrote: »
    Well, not all. Don't forget the DOFF lockups.

*all my characters. :P

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,983 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    They probably plan to monetize it in the future and slapped Smirk's hand for offering something for free.
  • suavekssuaveks Member Posts: 1,736 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    but I sincerely hope you enjoy this weekend event, and that you are able to complete the event mission to get your hands on many high quality DOffs during the current running.
    First off, many people WON'T enjoy the event since the Doff system has been broken for them for weeks now and they cannot complete any doff and R&D assignments. Others won't enjoy the event due to the fact that it takes forever for all doff missions to register as completed. Something you (Cryptic) didn't even bother to fix properly before the event, even though there have been dozens of bug reports posted over the last couple of weeks. The only thing you did was covering up the negative mission timer, and displaying "Finishing" instead.

Second, the event mission is a joke, and it has been since the first time it was introduced. Yet another example of how Cryptic doesn't care about players' feedback. I could understand the need to grind particle scans to "earn" our doff, but who's "brilliant" idea was it to add a random (i.e. frequent) chance that the particle can collapse giving nothing to the player and basically wasting his or her time? Seriously, was there a single person who thought this was actually fun? Running around the academy for nearly an hour and seeing "Particle collapsed. Keep searching!" over and over and over again? Once I've heard nothing has been changed here since the last time this event was live I didn't even bother visiting the academy. Utter waste of time not worth the effort.

I can deal with the doff stuff. You're not to blame here as you're not responsible for neither the programming nor resource management. We can blame Geko for that. :>
    PyKDqad.jpg
  • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Oh well, just another in the exceedingly long list of broken promises. Not your fault though, Trevor, you were probably mislead as well.

The extra CXP is nice for my alt, and he did get the Exoxomp that he was missing. :)

Thankfully I don't have the dreaded doff uncompletable mission problems, though when I log in, it still takes 2-3 mins to complete all 20 doff missions...
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• philipclaybergphilipclayberg Member Posts: 1,680
    edited August 2014
    Eheee... gathered 75 particles to get a purple doff... the mission auto-turned itself and gave me no doff - and no, my doff roster's not full. GG WP. More like GG no RE. :D

I did the event (Fed side) yesterday, got a purple science doff. Did it again today (same char., same faction), no doff. I guess you only get one per char. during the entire event. Can't complain really -- at least I didn't overpay on the Exchange for the doff.
    edited August 2014
    I did the event (Fed side) yesterday, got a purple science doff. Did it again today (same char., same faction), no doff. I guess you only get one per char. during the entire event. Can't complain really -- at least I didn't overpay on the Exchange for the doff.

As far as i know, you can get all the doffs you want. Sadly, i didnt get the chance to try it by myself, since after gathering 5 tactical doffs for 5 of my toons i had enough of this stupid non sense event. But you can do the even to get 1 tactical doff, and when you complete it, you can do it again to gather another one. At least thats the way it worked the previous event. But again, only a few people achieved that since the event was really bad designed since the beginning and the ammount of particles needed for every doff is a joke since this event was introduced. Cryptic never bothered to make this event better, so i guess it will pass (again) without major notice. Since they will never pay attention to player feedback and player opinions, we cant expect they think about things before they do em. And the biggest fail of everything is to do this event knowing the doff system is actually in a bad state. But again, its cryptic, dont think too much about it... :(
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Yes, you can get one doff every 16 hours. Remember he is in a box - let him out!
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

edited August 2014
    Yes, you can get one doff every 16 hours. Remember he is in a box - let him out!

Every 16 hours?? you saying that if i get a tactical doff, i cant get an engineer one after 16 hours later?????? :eek::confused:

Ow and i thought this event was bad enough... lol.
  • centaurianalphacentaurianalpha Member Posts: 1,150 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Well, I didn't know before this thread that a Romulan DOff was ever available, nor the Exocomp or Reman DOffs, so I guess I have less reason to be peeved at the dev's. But thanks to the OP, else I wouldn't have known about the Exo & Reman, which I picked up this morning! :D

I won't be selling any of these new DOffs until my roster is filled with VR's only; kudos to those who can afford to sells yours already. IMO, the particle chase is more interesting than Q's gift package nonsense, though that's not saying much. Still, this is a grind I welcome, as a small compensation for the dev's borking the DOff & Crafting systems so thoroughly... :rolleyes:
    Expendables Fleet: Andrew - Bajoran Fed Engineer Ken'taura - Rom/Fed Scientist Gwyllim - Human Fed Delta Tac
    Savik - Vulcan Fed Temporal Sci
    Dahar Masters Fleet: Alphal'Fa - Alien KDF Engineer Qun'pau - Rom/KDF Engineer D'nesh - Orion KDF Scientist Ghen'khan - Liberated KDF Tac
    Welcome to StarBug Online - to boldly Bug where no bug has been before!
    STO player since November 2013
  • darthstormstrikedarthstormstrike Member Posts: 771 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    The academy event is a total waste of time.

I collected 72 of the particles and the Professor says I can get a blue doff but go back and collect more for better quality. So I cancel that to try for purple. Guess what? He takes the 72 I collected and doesn't even give me the blue doff I turned down. And puts a 20 hour countdown timer on it.

What a joke, Cryptic!

"There is no problem in the universe that can't be solved with a bribe, a paid assassin, or an overpowered fighter." - Chubain from Jumpgate Evolution
  • robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    edited August 2014

While this will remain forever on my never forget list, it will be because I couldn't bring you the Romulan Liberated Borg DOff everyone was expecting.

While I have been able to help out with other issues and requests over the last several months, this time I won't be able to bring you this reward.

I'm very sorry I can't create this DOff for you all. but I sincerely hope you enjoy this weekend event, and that you are able to complete the event mission to get your hands on many high quality DOffs during the current running.

Thanks for your understanding everyone!

~CaptainSmirk
    This will also be on my never forget list I will not be giving you money anymore which you will be expecting so it's a double edged sword and thanks us for our understanding if you didnt TRIBBLE up in the first place then we wouldnt have went through this.

I went through the academy grind last time and thought never again the particle collapse rate was a waste of time and I felt drained after doing the 75 that took 2 Hours.so TRIBBLE this event nd I say this for the future times this comes around as well.
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mortuus2408mortuus2408 Member Posts: 81 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Day 2 and still no Bonus Commendation XP

I am done with this event
    Simplication Award Winner
    Admirals Log Stardate....aaaahm....whats today's Stardate?
This discussion has been closed.