test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Ground PvP Concerns Directory 3.5

majortiraomegamajortiraomega Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
edited September 2014 in PvP Gameplay
The last three versions of this thread brought about significant improvement to the quality of Ground PvP gameplay. With the release of Season 9.5 there are a few new concerns for Ground PvP. Additionally, there are a few older concerns that have become more apparent with Season 9.5. This directory is meant to provide the devs with an overview of current Ground PvP issues. Please post any specific concerns to this thread, but please create a new thread if you wish to discuss one specific issue in greater detail.

List begins here:

01. Kit ability: Lunge
Issue: The base damage on Lunge was increased too high with the Season 9 kit revamp. As a result, many critical hits with just a few minor tactical buffs (such as target optics) will one hit kill players through their shields. Additionally, a critical hit on an expose will one hit kill a player the vast majority of the time. A fully buffed critical hit lunge on an expose can deal well over 5,000 damage with 80% shield bypass.

02. Kit ability: Suppressing Fire
Issue: Suppressing Fire may be maintained on a target with 100% uptime. The loss of continuous cleanses for 15 seconds from Battle Strategies has turned this kit ability into an ability without a viable counter. Additionally, the damage reduction penalty and slow may be stacked to completely and indefinitely neutralize a player's ability to deal damage or escape.

03. Kit ability: Battle Strategies
Issue: Battle Strategies is an extremely lackluster kit ability now that the Season 9 kit revamp removed the continuous tactical debuff cleanse. The ability has a long cooldown and a very minor buff.

04. Kit ability: Psionic Assault
Issue: The Undine lockbox kit module Psionic Assault, a mental debuff, cannot be removed with Science kit abilities Biofilter Sweep or Hypospray Melorazine (mental debuff cleansers).

05. Kit ability: Quantum Mortar / Turret
Issue: Engineering turret and mortar fabrications do not despawn on the death of the engineer and the engineer loses ownership of said fabrications. As a result, the engineer is allowed to spawn additional fabrications without despawning the first set. This allows engineers to spawn an extra 3 quantum mortars and phaser/disruptor/plasma turrets per life.

06. Weapon proc: Bio-Molecular Incubation
Issue:The weapon proc from 8472 reputation rifles is obtaining damage buffs from any buffs increasing "All damage". As a result, the weapon proc alone is one hit killing players through 700-800 radiation damage hits with 100% shield bypass.

07. Race trait: Creative
Issue: Many Engineering abilities are not receiving the damage and healing bonus from the Creative trait. A full list of engineering abilities was made by frtoaster here. A more complete list was compiled by guriphu here.

08. Lockbox trait: Savior
Issue: The Xindi lockbox trait, Savior, is not applying the healing bonus to any shield heals. However, all health heals are correctly affected by this trait. The description itself implies that all heals (shield and health) should be affected by this trait.
Status: Resolved: Working as designed per reply from Borticuscryptic.

09. Reputation trait: Enhanced Personal Shields
Issue: The patch used in an attempt to fix the issue with the Enhanced Personal Shields trait has made the problem worse. On April 22, 2014 a bug report was filed in regards to a problem with the Enhanced Personal Shields trait setting player shield health to 0/0. The patch has caused the Enhanced Personal Shields trait to continuously reset a player's shields from 0/0 to maximum, making it impossible to keep a player's shields down if they are using the trait.

10. Duty officer: Security Officer, +100% damage with Ambush, dealt as a DoT version
Issue:The duty officer interacts incorrectly with plasma grenade fire patches. When a plasma grenade is thrown while using this duty officer, the plasma grenade fire retains the ambush buff. This results in the plasma fire patch continuously applying DoT on ambush stacks to anything affected by the plasma fire.

11. Duty officer: Shield Distribution Officer, 50% Chance for Weapon Malfunction with Draw Fire version
Issue: The Shield Distribution Officer providing a chance for weapon malfunction upon taking damage with draw fire is not working correctly. Rather than triggering a weapon malfunction for 8 seconds; the duty officer is triggering 30 seconds of weapon malfunction immunity. The issue began at the same time as the Chain Weapon Malfunction Diagnostic Engineers, but this duty officer wasn't fixed when the Diagnostic Engineers were fixed right after Season 9.

12. Weapon: TR-116B
Issue:The 100% shield bypass on the new crafting TR-116B rifle makes it extremely easy to bypass an Engineer's ability to shield tank. The weapon also does not respect "immunity to shield bleedthrough" from items just as the medical vanguard trait or NPC Elachi shields.

13. Omega Distortion Field
Issue: The Omega Force two piece set bonus, Distortion Field, is breaking stealth upon the triggering of any self or team wide procs such as the MACO shield's "Spectrum Overload" proc (Melee-range Stun effect, centered on you and your teammates.) The Omega Distortion Field ability is intended to be used as an aggro breaker, but cannot be used as such because receiving damage and triggering "on damage" procs will break the stealth buff. Even teamates taking damage may break the stealth buff if they take damage and trigger a team wide "on damage" proc.

14. Expose chance on abilities
Issue: The expose chance proc is incorrectly cut in half on kit and captain abilities. Abilities such as Fuse Armor that previously had 10% expose chance now only have 5% expose chance. See this post for a detailed explanation.

15. Nanoenergy Cell - Kinetic Capacitor
Issue: The Nanoenergy Cell - Kinetic Capacitor adds a 10% chance to knockback to all weapon attacks. The problem is this proc has no cooldown or immunity period and may be used to chain knockback a player to hold them down indefinitely. This makes it impossible for said player to react or fight back against other players. Multiple high rate of fire weapons make it extremely easy to chain knockback multiple players with ease.

16. Kit ability: Automated Adrenal Hypo
Issue: The Xindi lockbox kit module Automated Adrenal Hypo is an ability that either revives within 15 seconds or reduces cooldowns by 25% on expiration. However, applying the hypo to oneself will lower the cooldown on the Automated Adrenal Hypo ability as well as all other abilities. When under tactical initiative, players are capable of activating this ability every 18.9 seconds...a mere 3.9 second downtime on the ability. Finally, dying while under the effects of this hypo does not count toward the kill counter in PvP matches. As a result, Science officers must be killed within the 3.9 second window where they do not have this ability activated in order for the kill to be counted toward the game's score.
--->Ground PvP Concerns Directory 4.0
--->Ground Combat General Bugs Directory
Real join date: March 2012 / PvP Veteran since May 2012 (Ground and Space)
Post edited by majortiraomega on

Comments

• majortiraomegamajortiraomega Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Reserved for future use.
  • guriphuguriphu Member Posts: 494 Arc User
    edited August 2014

Issue: Many Engineering abilities are not receiving the damage and healing bonus from the Creative trait. A full list was made by frtoaster here.

That's not a complete list. Neither is this (it doesn't include any new powers), but it will get you closer.

Results of testing all pre-season-9 kit powers that do damage, powers (including items) that do healing, plus a few procs that do healing, although those might not be classed as powers.

Note that I am no longer maintaining this list.
    edited August 2014
    guriphu wrote: »
    That's not a complete list. Neither is this (it doesn't include any new powers), but it will get you closer.

Results of testing all pre-season-9 kit powers that do damage, powers (including items) that do healing, plus a few procs that do healing, although those might not be classed as powers.

Great list, thanks for compiling it. One thing of note, the KHG and MACO armor procs aren't supposed to obtain Creative anyway. Armor procs aren't powers capable of activation.
  • guriphuguriphu Member Posts: 494 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I'm inclined to agree, but I went ahead and included them anyway just in case. Best of luck with your list.
  • ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    The TR-116 is going to become a instan-kill weapon.

Cloak up as tactical, buff, decloak, sniper shot, repeat.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited August 2014
    To the OP, detail your bugs in your post each in separate threads in gameplay bugs, and crypticfrost will test them out and verify the bugs. No stacking multiple bugs in a single thread.

Yes, if you do things the correct way (as stated in the sticky in Gameplay Bugs Report) things get fixed.
    edited August 2014
    I'm inclined to agree, but I went ahead and included them anyway just in case. Best of luck with your list.
    Ah, fair enough. Thanks.
    lucho80 wrote: »
    To the OP, detail your bugs in your post each in separate threads in gameplay bugs, and crypticfrost will test them out and verify the bugs. No stacking multiple bugs in a single thread.

Yes, if you do things the correct way (as stated in the sticky in Gameplay Bugs Report) things get fixed.

Everything within this thread contains balancing concerns, be it positive or negative. There are a few bugs listed here, but the majority of this thread contains concerns that directly impact Ground PvP in a way that negatively affects the viability of specific mechanics within the ground game. Even with the bugs here, some of them aren't clearcut bugs, and input from a dev such as AdjudicatorHawk or BorticusCryptic is highly invaluable.
  • frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Issue: Many Engineering abilities are not receiving the damage and healing bonus from the Creative trait. A full list was made by frtoaster here.

I was going to say that guriphu made a better list, but he already beat me to it. You should probably include his list in the OP.
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
  • frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I'm not sure whether you consider this a balance concern or not, but several science and engineering abilities had their expose chances halved from 10% to 5% when Cryptic halved the expose chances of primary weapon attacks. Borticus confirmed that it was a bug, at least for the science abilities, and said that there was a fix on the way. As far as I know, the fix never made it to Holodeck, though I haven't checked since Season 9.5 was released. Details can be found here:

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=17518391&postcount=6
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
    edited August 2014
    frtoaster wrote: »
    I was going to say that guriphu made a better list, but he already beat me to it. You should probably include his list in the OP.

Good idea, I've updated the OP with the link.
    frtoaster wrote: »
    I'm not sure whether you consider this a balance concern or not, but several science and engineering abilities had their expose chances halved from 10% to 5% when Cryptic halved the expose chances of primary weapon attacks. Borticus confirmed that it was a bug, at least for the science abilities, and said that there was a fix on the way. As far as I know, the fix never made it to Holodeck, though I haven't checked since Season 9.5 was released. Details can be found here:

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=17518391&postcount=6

Yes, good call pointing that issue out, I had completely forgotten about it. This issue has a significant negative effect on classes that rely on exposes to deal significant damage to enemy targets (Medics, Engineer tanks, defensive tacticals).
  • rakija879rakija879 Member Posts: 646 Arc User
    edited August 2014

05. Kit ability: Quantum Mortar / Turret
    Issue: Engineering turret and mortar fabrications do not despawn on the death of the engineer and the engineer loses ownership of said fabrications. As a result, the engineer is allowed to spawn additional fabrications without despawning the first set. This allows engineers to spawn an extra 3 quantum mortars and phaser/disruptor/plasma turrets per life.

[

Explosives Expert doff

Specialization: Explosives Expert is a duty officer specialization within the Operations department. A maximum of 1 may be assigned to the active duty roster.

Purple 20% chance: to self: Creates a second level 4 Quantum Mortar III for 180 sec

So no guaranties for 100% x3 quantum up time spam !
    edited August 2014
    rakija879 wrote: »
    Explosives Expert doff

Specialization: Explosives Expert is a duty officer specialization within the Operations department. A maximum of 1 may be assigned to the active duty roster.

Purple 20% chance: to self: Creates a second level 4 Quantum Mortar III for 180 sec

So no guaranties for 100% x3 quntum up time spam !

If it doesn't proc, then players may attempt to trigger a proc again after just a few seconds. It isn't difficult at all to ensure that you always have three mortars spawned per life as an engineer. The "for 180 sec" portion of the mortars doesn't work after the engineer dies. It is as if the timer for despawn is halted upon death.
    edited August 2014
    If it doesn't proc, then players may attempt to trigger a proc again after just a few seconds. It isn't difficult at all to ensure that you always have three mortars spawned per life as an engineer. The "for 180 sec" portion of the mortars doesn't work after the engineer dies. It is as if the timer for despawn is halted upon death.

you mean 30 sec :)
    edited August 2014
    Added Nanoenergy Cell - Kinetic Capacitor to the list. Allowing the cells to work with any weapon and doubling the proc chance has excessively improved the quality of this specific weapon enhancement item. The item allows players to chain knockback other players from 35 meters with split beam rifles. Players hit by these procs cannot resist the proc with knockback immunity or resistances. It appears the old chain knockback bug strikes again.
    you mean 30 sec :)

...or 6.3 seconds under tactical initiative.
  • nulonunulonu Member Posts: 507 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    No mention of the bio matter rifles secondary bug, but the fix is thankfully on tribble.
  • adjudicatorhawkadjudicatorhawk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Some of this will get fixed or changed soon. No time to go into more detail but wanted to say "I see this" and am working on some of it.
    Jeff "Adjudicator Hawk" Hamilton
    Systems Designer - Cryptic Studios
    Twitter: @JeffAHamilton
    edited August 2014
    Some of this will get fixed or changed soon. No time to go into more detail but wanted to say "I see this" and am working on some of it.

Thanks Hawk.
  • wildweasalwildweasal Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Wait There Is A Ground Game?
    3ondby_zpsikszslyx.jpg
  • shailatshailat Member Posts: 478 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    wildweasal wrote: »
    Wait There Is A Ground Game?

Do you and your kind have to troll every ground post and say stuff like
    "Wait there is a Ground game?"
    "LOL GROUND"
    "This game has ground?"
    "WOW People play ground on this game?"
    "Ground? Whats that?"

Its getting annoying, and not funny anymore as us grounders hear it all the time from you spaceers
    You dont see us going into every post about space and saying

"Wow there is space in this game? i thought my ship was just to get me from point a to point b"
    "LOL SPACE"
    "Space? you mean spacebar?"
    "WOW People Play Space?"
    "Space? Whats that?"

So why do it to us?
    ogew7.jpg
    edited August 2014
    Adding the Xindi lockbox kit module, Automated Adrenal Hypo. Testing tonight determined that dying under the effects of the hypo does not count toward the game's score. As a result, Science officers must be killed twice before they are capable of reactivating their Automated Adrenal Hypo. I "died" four times in a match while under the effects of the hypo, but none of those deaths counted toward the kill count and the final scoreboard reported zero deaths on my character.

The biggest problem is the uptime on the ability...especially with Tactical Initiative in play. Tactical Initiative drops the ability down to 18.9 seconds; a mere 3.9 second downtime when TI is up. For most abilities this isn't a problem, but this kit module essentially gives the player a second life for "free". Personally I feel it shouldn't be something that can be spammed so easily. I play science all the time, but completely losing the ability to die really takes some of the excitement out of fights. Making this ability immune to cooldown reduction would remove the issue of spamming the ability, but I fear the 1 minute 30 second cooldown would be far too long without the ability to reduce the cooldown. Perhaps a viable option would be to make the ability immune to cooldown reduction while dropping the ability's cooldown down to 60-70 seconds. That would provide a 21-25% uptime while still proving to be a valuable ability when timed correctly.
  • simeion1simeion1 Member Posts: 898 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    shailat wrote: »
    "LOL GROUND"
    "This game has ground?"
    "Ground? Whats that?"

Its getting annoying, and not funny anymore as us grounders hear it all the time from you spaceers

"Wow there is space in this game? i thought my ship was just to get me from point a to point b"
    "LOL SPACE"
    "WOW People Play Space?"
    "Space? Whats that?"

So why do it to us?
    I feel the same way. A word of adivse is don't feed the troll. They are getting the response they are looking for when you respond.
    320x240.jpg
  • loverofwarsloverofwars Member Posts: 399 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    "LOL GROUND"
    "This game has ground?"
    "Ground? Whats that?"

"LOL SPACE"
    "WOW People Play Space?"
    "Space? Whats that?"

So why do it to us?

made me lol, you go girl *cheers shai on*

the posts of this game has ground and stuff aren't funny havent ever been, just not really needed, i like and agree with this
  • falklander1989falklander1989 Member Posts: 117 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Adding the Xindi lockbox kit module, Automated Adrenal Hypo. Testing tonight determined that dying under the effects of the hypo does not count toward the game's score. As a result, Science officers must be killed twice before they are capable of reactivating their Automated Adrenal Hypo. I "died" four times in a match while under the effects of the hypo, but none of those deaths counted toward the kill count and the final scoreboard reported zero deaths on my character.

The biggest problem is the uptime on the ability...especially with Tactical Initiative in play. Tactical Initiative drops the ability down to 18.9 seconds; a mere 3.9 second downtime when TI is up. For most abilities this isn't a problem, but this kit module essentially gives the player a second life for "free". Personally I feel it shouldn't be something that can be spammed so easily. I play science all the time, but completely losing the ability to die really takes some of the excitement out of fights. Making this ability immune to cooldown reduction would remove the issue of spamming the ability, but I fear the 1 minute 30 second cooldown would be far too long without the ability to reduce the cooldown. Perhaps a viable option would be to make the ability immune to cooldown reduction while dropping the ability's cooldown down to 60-70 seconds. That would provide a 21-25% uptime while still proving to be a valuable ability when timed correctly.

Really hope they do something about it,its just so frustrating kill someone and kill doesnt count and he just go away and 15 secs later just repeat same thing.So easy to charge in the middle of enemy team and kill half of them with motivation boosted sci magic when you know you cant die and do repeat that every 15 to 20 secs.
  • etherealplanesetherealplanes Member Posts: 414
    edited August 2014
    But it's okay for tacts to be able to go around and one kick everything to death I suppose.
    edited August 2014
    "LOL GROUND"
    "This game has ground?"
    "Ground? Whats that?"

"LOL SPACE"
    "WOW People Play Space?"
    "Space? Whats that?"

So why do it to us?

When I think about ground combat I imagine Janeway all sweaty with a compression rifle and a knife :) HAHAHAHA such a badass :P:P:P

Added Nanoenergy Cell - Kinetic Capacitor to the list. Allowing the cells to work with any weapon and doubling the proc chance has excessively improved the quality of this specific weapon enhancement item. The item allows players to chain knockback other players from 35 meters with split beam rifles. Players hit by these procs cannot resist the proc with knockback immunity or resistances. It appears the old chain knockback bug strikes again.

...or 6.3 seconds under tactical initiative.

Your theories rely on lots of perfection. But there are no borg on ground only FS.
    edited August 2014
    Your theories rely on lots of perfection. But there are no borg on ground only FS.

...And certain former FS members are using the kinetic capacitor item to chain knockback the entire opposing team from long range.
    edited August 2014
    actually..rom kb trait lunge pounce pulsewave kb and the nano cell give no immunity and simply knock you over and over and over chain kb has been around awhile
    edited August 2014
    actually..rom kb trait lunge pounce pulsewave kb and the nano cell give no immunity and simply knock you over and over and over chain kb has been around awhile

The Tier 3 New Romulus trait provides a knockback on critical hit, but has a 20 second cooldown tied the ability. The trait is unresistable, but it is on a 20 second cooldown and cannot be chained...except from multiple sources. Due to the long cooldown, I suspect the unresistable state is intentional; the trait would be rather useless if the knockback was resisted and the 20 second cooldown started.

Knockback from lunge, pounce, and pulsewaves can be resisted, but unfortunately they don't provide players with knockback resistance after knockback from said attacks expires. Back when swords were chaining unresistable knockback, AdjudicatorHawk stated that all knockbacks should be providing knockback resistance upon expiration. This is not the case with the abilities you mentioned, I'll be sure to add that to the list. I added the nanoenergy cell specifically because the cell added a 10% chance on every attack to apply an unresistable knockback to the target. Other knockbacks are just as valid, but we don't want them to become useless in the same way that all stun effects are right now.
    edited August 2014
    the rom t3 trait also seems reduced cd from ti making it next to impossible not to get knocked a few rep abilities and passive buffs from armors seem to gain reduced cd from ti haven't looked fully to confirm

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=18485901#post18485901

theres this bug to
  • nulonunulonu Member Posts: 507 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I'd have to dig around for it but as I recall, the problem from swords and other exploit capable knock back attacks etc was that the exploit attack against an exposed target (which still deals unresistable knock back btw) was always "on" instead of being activated when the target was exposed. It was a hard bug to track down from what hawk said, however it should be functioning correctly after the fix awhile back. The problem was never resistance not working as I understood it. People get confused, however, when they get knocked down while crouched with sure-footed, thinking knock back is broken but it isn't IMO. It's a case of an exposed target taking a knock back hit that ignores resistance, whether it's stat based, 20 (?) sec push back resistance or sure footed.

I haven't experimented with those cells/seen them being used but my thought would be if the they are indeed not respecting knock back resist it may be by design as they cost lobi. Never was an issue till that totally random change allowing those to be used on any weapon type.