What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Intrepid Interior

Comments

• Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Not to my knowledge, and it actually concerns me.

Right now, I got the feeling Cryptic is going to hose us with the Interiors again. People might remember when the Belfast came out, Cryptic gave the finger to players who bought the Defiant Interior Bridge Pack (which supposed to be a canonical interior, but wasn't). And instead of retroacting the Interior with the Bellerophon, they likely are going to create a new Bundle or a Tier 6 Intrepid that's going to have the interior. So those who bought the Bellerophon, the Tier 5 Intrepid Refit, and the Intrepid Interior bridge pack, will be getting a double middle finger.

Let them hose us! No, seriously! I'll be already overly pleased if they give us better interiors. If that means I have to actually, OMG, buy the packs, so frakkin' be it!

You want to have your cookie and e... no wait, you want to have your cookie, but not pay for it. Well, there's no such thing as a free lunch, remember?
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    tacofangs wrote: »
    Sure, all navy vessels keep their rooms in the same spot, for the same class. But Voyager was stuck out in space for 7 years, and they made adjustments/additions themselves. I can easily envision Astrometrics being moved to a better location upon an official Intrepid refit, vs. where the Voyager Crew had room for it at the time they built it.

Sickbay was on Deck 5, and due to the hallway curve outside of sickbay, it's obvious that it's on the outer side, toward the hull. That's hardly deep within the ship. We moved it up 2 decks.

But how often did you hear in Voyager they moving a room? Outside of them making an Astrometrics Lab and on occasion creating a new room for the plot-of-the-day, you never heard them moving the Transporter Room. That's some hefty machinery that's tied into the main EPS conduits.
    Sickbay was on Deck 5, and due to the hallway curve outside of sickbay, it's obvious that it's on the outer side, toward the hull. That's hardly deep within the ship. We moved it up 2 decks.

Aaaand we get heart to the decision. "Because it looked good". :P
    They aren't like houses now, because we spend years welding huge pieces of metal together. In the Star Trek Future, (400 years from now) where things are built more modularly, and can be more easily swapped out, I have no problem imagining a refit that includes rearranging some rooms to make room for new stuff.

Look at Cruise Ships for example. The individual cabins are built as self contained units. The hull of the ship has slots for them, and when they are installed, they literally just lift up a nearly complete cabin, and slide it into place. There's no reason some of those cabins couldn't be swapped out for newer/better versions, or rearranged to make space for something else at a major, drydock, refitting of the ship.

Because the bridge has always had a plug-and-play modularity, doesn't mean the rest of the ship was too. Modern ships are built in modules, but you don't take out the modules and replace them with new ones like they are disposable parts. Just look at your own cabin link, these are pre-fabricated modules (pieces of the ship), they aren't removable. You're making it like "oh I need VIP Quarters! I'll go to spacedock and swap out 2 crew quarters for it!" :P
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    Let them hose us! No, seriously! I'll be already overly pleased if they give us better interiors. If that means I have to actually, OMG, buy the packs, so frakkin' be it!

You want to have your cookie and e... no wait, you want to have your cookie, but not pay for it. Well, there's no such thing as a free lunch, remember?

I never said they couldn't, I just said it would be nice if the packs we already bought could be retroed. Nobody bought that Intrepid bridge pack because it looked similar to the Intrepid, they bought it because they wanted an Intrepid bridge! In a way its like false advertising.
  • Options
    adamkafeiadamkafei Member Posts: 6,539 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Engineering is reasonably accurate. The upper section will be accessible via a click on the ladder, or the lift. Unfortunately, we can't do moving platforms, so we can't make the lift actually work.

N-No moving platforms..? But... but Zelda... Doom... Half life... Moving platforms... Why can't we have moving platforms?
    ZiOfChe.png?1
  • Options
    tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited August 2014
    drogyn1701 wrote: »
    I think what he was asking is:

"Will you add the new Intrepid player ship interior to the Foundry after it is released, and therefor in a state where it likely won't be modified again?"

Again, the problem is that the Player Ship Interior of the Intrepid, is on a map, with ALL of the other interiors. There is no "Just add the Intrepid Interior to the Foundry." without creating a whole new map for it, or adding the entire player ship interior map, which has the problems I cited above.
    f2pdrakron wrote: »
    Also let me ask, why not add each deck as a separated map? sure there would be a loading screen but at the same time it does allow Foundry to not having to deal with "not used space", such as a mission that takes place only on the Bridge and Engineering section would not need to access the crew deck, this would also solve the issue of "being updated later" since I suspect IF things are added they would be a new deck.

This would require Foundry specific maps to be made. I'm not saying it can't be done, just that it hasn't been done before. To now, Foundry Maps have all just been copies of existing maps. We could create a Foundry specific map for the Intrepid Interior, but that would take some time.

gurluas wrote: »
    Ok wait...Why would overwriting the original map break every existing mission there assuming the only addition is a new interior?

I honestly don't know. However, the mandate with Foundry stuff all along is, port it to Foundry, then don't muck with it. I would be concerned about saving over a map that was already being used by folks for missions.

liv11d wrote: »
    TACO my question is this . the following you stated will not be added at this time so will you be adding the trophies and other things later? also are we able to use these hallways only on the rest of our ships instead of those ugly generics? i love my oddy but would love the new voyager hallways to go along with my oddy bridge...

No, I have no idea if we will add those things, I'm just saying they're not going in currently.
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    But how often did you hear in Voyager they moving a room? Outside of them making an Astrometrics Lab and on occasion creating a new room for the plot-of-the-day, you never heard them moving the Transporter Room. That's some hefty machinery that's tied into the main EPS conduits.

To be fair, there's a lot of things we don't see happen on the show that presumably does happen. The ship operates 24/7 and the 'main cast' is only on active duty 1 shift at a time (under normal circumstances).

Operations such as moving rooms, renovations, and repairs happen off-screen. In one episode Voyager may be brought to the brink of destruction but the following episode it's like nothing was ever touched at all.

Things that you just accept as having happened between episodes.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited August 2014
    Actually that sounds really cool! A map with ALL the interiors on it. Bring it on :), like that Tutorial map with all the stuff in it. Another one that would likely satisfy several top entries in our poll.

And if you add to the main-game map in the future, could you not import a new copy with a new name rather than overwrite the previous one?
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • Options
    bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Thread merge.

Let's have one thread to discuss the interior, especially since a Dev has replied in one of them.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • Options
    walshicuswalshicus Member Posts: 1,314 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Again, the problem is that the Player Ship Interior of the Intrepid, is on a map, with ALL of the other interiors. There is no "Just add the Intrepid Interior to the Foundry." without creating a whole new map for it, or adding the entire player ship interior map, which has the problems I cited above.

What's the (technical?) reason for that being the case? Wouldn't it be easier on your workflow to have each ship interior on its own map?
    http://mmo-economics.com - analysing the economic interactions in MMOs.
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Actually that sounds really cool! A map with ALL the interiors on it. Bring it on :)

I don't think this map is like a studio, where you can visit displayed bridges. If I understood it correctly, that single map is just the place *everyone* goes to when visiting their bridge (like the Fleet base map). And this new bridge will just be added to it, is all.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    jeffel82jeffel82 Member Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I just wanted to step in and say that this all sounds great - I'm not a fan of VOY as a series, but the Intrepid interior is a great design, and I can't wait to see it in-game. The changes to fit it all on three decks seem incredibly minor to me (these ships have multiple transporter rooms anyway, who's to say there wasn't one on Deck 3 all along?), and don't bother me at all.

Except the lack of trophies. I'm kind of grumpy about trophies being abandoned, but that particular ball started rolling a long time ago.

Regardless, I'm looking forward to seeing it! :D
    You're right. The work here is very important.
    ...talking to players is like being a mall Santa. Everyone immediately wants to tell you all of the things they want, and you are absolutely powerless to deliver 99% of them.
  • Options
    gurluasgurluas Member Posts: 464 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Taco, don't you have any influence or favors you can call so you can persuade them to add the trophies?
    It's a really big part of the customization of one's interior.

Also is it all trophies that aren't being added? Or just the trophies in the mess hall?
    I.E the bridge still has two trophies in the ready room.

But yes I'm very...Grumpy about the trophies being thrashed completely.
    Trophies are such a cool form of customization, I have a lot of old trophies that cant be obtained anymore and they show my character' legacy and such. I fly an Intrepid so I'm basically being told: Ditch your Legacy, or fly in a non-canon interior. It's already bad they stopped adding new ones. Imagine what cool trophies you could get from things like the Undine STFs.. But removing the spots where we can place our trophies in new non-Lockbox interiors is just sad and insulting.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Taco, don't you have any influence or favors you can call so you can persuade them to add the trophies?
    It's a really big part of the customization of one's interior.

From his second reply in the thread...
    1. I don't think there is any plans to add Trophy slots at this time. The trophy system is a mess to set up and keep working. I don't think we've dealt with Trophies in any of the recent bridges/interiors. I don't expect that to change here.
    I'm unhappy about it, too, but I guess it's a pretty messed-up system.

The last new interior to have trophies was the Belfast interior. The only full interior developed since then was the Romulan interior, which didn't include trophies. All other custom "interiors" have been bridges only (I think the Andrian ship has a ready room as well), and they don't include trophies.

On top of that, they stopped making new trophies for the kill accolades a long, long time ago.

I hate to say it, but I think it's a done deal.
    ...talking to players is like being a mall Santa. Everyone immediately wants to tell you all of the things they want, and you are absolutely powerless to deliver 99% of them.
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Hmmm - well, as one of the biggest fans of the Fleet Rhode Island, I'll be keeping my fingers crossed on that one. Big time. :)

Yeah. I'd love to see the Nova interiors and Prometheus interiors get some love.

Maybe as a way to push it, there could be an Equinox-variant Nova class lockbox with tweaked interiors. A contraband/dirty dealing themed lockbox with, say, a new Tal Shiar ship for Romulans, Orion slave ship for Klingons, and Equinox-modded Nova for Feds. The lockbox interiors would have the thematic mods (ie. the Fed one would have nucleogenic lifeforms enslaved aboard).

Each ship interior in lockbox ship version would have clear evidence of shady activity but in the process you could have a clean version of the interior which could go in a ship interior bundle.

There's a lot I could see going into a crime themed lockbox push. Traits are fairly obvious. Ship trophies inspired by Kivas Fajo (although we need better ways to display trophies on more interiors). Varon-T weapons. Contraband claims. Maybe "A Piece of the Action" mobster suits and flapper wear based on existing formal wear in the Lobi store and a pair of Iotian Bridge Officers (male and female) with Bonnie and Clyde inspired traits/features.

Just something I'm throwing out there that might help more ship interiors happen.
  • Options
    jonnescoutsjonnescouts Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Thank you taco, pretty much all I expected but a man can hope can't he? Quick thing on the Jeffery's tubes I meant how they're included in the TOS interior just an access point on two decks and a hub I didn't mean crawl able. It might not seem like much but I really like them on the TOS interior. Whatever happens you can be assure dill buy it on release all be it with zen purchased with dilithium. So thank you once more for taking the time to respond and making the map it self of course.

Edit: oh and the fact that we can access the upper level of engineering has me very exited, I expected to have it like you described with a teleport rather then a proper lift and that's fine. However there's one movable platform in ts to that pushes you up and that's the balcony doors on the spire holding.
  • Options
    jonnescoutsjonnescouts Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Oh one thing though, both of the other special player ships maps are actually available in the foundry as a map, I did not mean the players interior which can be visited but the maps are there and just assumed it would be there because of this
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    jeffel82 wrote: »
    From his second reply in the thread...

I'm unhappy about it, too, but I guess it's a pretty messed-up system.

The last new interior to have trophies was the Belfast interior. The only full interior developed since then was the Romulan interior, which didn't include trophies. All other custom "interiors" have been bridges only (I think the Andrian ship has a ready room as well), and they don't include trophies.

On top of that, they stopped making new trophies for the kill accolades a long, long time ago.

I hate to say it, but I think it's a done deal.

The Devs rarely listen to us, but sometimes they do.
    And when they make an awfully bad decision we need to let them know we don't like it.
    One thing is them not making new trophies, but taking away the old trophies from us is bad and mean.

I've been wanting an Intrepid interior ever since I joined, I don't want this ruined for me by forcing me to use another interior because it doesn't have trophy slots. ESPECIALLY when it's one as epicly done as the one shown in the screenshots.
  • Options
    landdonlanddon Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Taco,

I am really excited about what I'm hearing regarding "Our Voyager" and understand that the floor plans or room arrangements needs to flexible. But like the trophy request, I would be more tempted to purchase additional ship interiors with they were more functional. Correct me if I'm wrong, but is it possible to added the ability to change your uniforms be added to the "Captain's Room" or the "Ready Room"? Seems like something that should be naturally included, as one is living on the ship for long periods of time. I too must add my voice to the request to have the "Trophies shelves" looked at again, because it was one of the things that make our ship unique to us. Also, would it be possible in the future to do our working within the ship as it travels? Unless I'm mistaken the ship stops until you complete and close whatever you are working on. Thanks Again! Really appreciate the communication we are getting.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    The Devs rarely listen to us, but sometimes they do.

I choose to believe that they usually listen to us, but often decide to do things differently.

In any case, you're right - I don't mean to discourage you from talking about something that's important to you. I want to see trophies make a comeback, too. In fact, I want ship interiors in general to be a worthwhile investment for the devs again. Some day.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Actually that sounds really cool! A map with ALL the interiors on it. Bring it on :), like that Tutorial map with all the stuff in it. Another one that would likely satisfy several top entries in our poll.

And if you add to the main-game map in the future, could you not import a new copy with a new name rather than overwrite the previous one?

Yes, we could just save out a new version of the map, but that gets messy pretty quickly. "Player_Ship_Interiors_01," "Player_Ship_Interiors_02," "Player_Ship_Interiors_03," which are all identical save for one new interior each time? No thanks.

walshicus wrote: »
    What's the (technical?) reason for that being the case? Wouldn't it be easier on your workflow to have each ship interior on its own map?

Tech side issues. The tech to switch your interior, just switches which spawn point you go to. It doesn't have to switch out the whole map.
  • Options
    adamkafeiadamkafei Member Posts: 6,539 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I love watching that video, cracks me up every time.

It is amusing, though it has been explained that the only thing stopping someone replicating a phaser is system security so it is likely that they could simply replicate torpedoes as and when, it's also explained that ships leave stations with enough resources to build photon torpedoes (for example the Ent-D had their complement of torps plus the resources to build 32 on site) in addition there was plenty of off screen time so...
    ZiOfChe.png?1
  • Options
    mandoknight89mandoknight89 Member Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    adamkafei wrote: »
    It is amusing, though it has been explained that the only thing stopping someone replicating a phaser is system security so it is likely that they could simply replicate torpedoes as and when, it's also explained that ships leave stations with enough resources to build photon torpedoes (for example the Ent-D had their complement of torps plus the resources to build 32 on site) in addition there was plenty of off screen time so...
    The video also includes a couple scenes where they state they can't simply replace their torpedo complement. They probably include some non-replicateable materials in the design.

That said, trading and scavenging for the materials they need is one of the things that Voyager is shown to do over the series, so getting parts for photon torpedoes isn't ludicrous.
  • Options
    orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I gotta say, the concept of this is very awesome. As I understand it, detailing a ship interiors are apparently more work than they're worth, so to see an interior even partially expanded on like this is very neat indeed. I'm guessing it's because the interior is involved in a mission or two, but that doesn't change the fact that this is a very good thing. And to have an optional 'normal Intrepid' interior is icing on the cake.

In a perfect Star Trek game, all ships would have complete interiors, and while that may not even be close to realistic right now, this is a step in that direction. One question though. Will this apply to all Long-Range Science Vessels?
  • Options
    doctorfunke1doctorfunke1 Member Posts: 107 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    It sound like there will never be any truly customizable interiors, is this correct, I was always hoping for a system similar to the trophies on the interior for for things like chairs and console colors/styles, and master display. How is it the trophies are customizable, but nothing else is not, it seems a map editor is ruled out, why not set it up like trophies.:D
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Swtor is sort of doing that with their new form of player housing.
    All furniture and such works like our trophies.
  • Options
    doctorfunke1doctorfunke1 Member Posts: 107 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    And add a way to disable the yellow glow, and abe just have it on the console screen itself, like the old days.
  • Options
    thegreendragoon1thegreendragoon1 Member Posts: 1,872 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I will say that I think (and this is my personal assessment) that the Intrepid interior would be a popular addition to the Foundry.

That said, you've treated us well and I trust you to judge whether you think it's reasonable or even feasible. We've certainly dumped our fair share of requests on you lately and you've taken it in stride. I'll leave this in your hands.

On a note completely unrelated to the Foundry, it sounds like the current ship interior system is pretty unruly, so perhaps in some distant dream season, they'll be able to take a good look at the ship interior system. I personally have my own ideas, but that's another thread. :)
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Ok everyone, no promises, no guarantees, but we'll be looking into adding the trophy slots to the Voyager interior. Please understand that this is not a guarantee that they will be added, but we are going to see if we can get them to work.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Ok everyone, no promises, no guarantees, but we'll be looking into adding the trophy slots to the Voyager interior. Please understand that this is not a guarantee that they will be added, but we are going to see if we can get them to work.

Tacofangs, you are officially my hero now!!
    The fact that you're trying, even without guarantees shows your loyalty and commitment to the community. Thank you!

If you're unable to get all trophies in, then at least try to get the two ready room shelves in.