test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Tribble Maintenance and Release Notes - July 30, 2014

coldsnappedcoldsnapped Member Posts: 520 Cryptic Developer
We will be bringing down the Tribble server for maintenance to apply a new update: ST.42.20140720a.7

General:
  • Resolved an issue where the TR-116B weapon was not performing as intended.
    • As a result the Shield Penetration of the weapon has been increased.
  • Beam Overload:
    • Beam Overload attacks are now always a Critical Hit.
      • Their tooltips have been updated to indicate that they always Critically Hit.
    • Beam Overload no longer drains Weapon Power.
    • Beam Overload's base damage has been reduced by 25% under the hood.
      • Its damage will be higher on average due to 100% Critical chance.
    • Related powers changes:
      • All Power Level drain from Lance-type powers has been removed.
        • For example, the Auxiliary Disruptor Array no longer drains Aux power when fired.
      • Damage and critical chance of all Lance-type powers remains unchanged.
  • Resolved an issue which was causing much lag in the Foundry.
  • Craylon Gas now has a chance to be rewarded in the Elite Queues Rhllho Station, Mine Trap, and the Nukara Interior and Exterior fights.
  • Small pips have been added to rarity borders to make it easier to distinguish the rarity of an item.
  • Updated Duty Officer frame for ultra rare and legendary rarities to match the changes made to item rarities.

Known Issues:
  • Replicating needed commodities for Duty Officers assignments is not registered by the assignment when slotted.
    • This is causing players to have to back out of the assignment and then slot it again to start it.
  • The trade channel cannot be left.
Post edited by coldsnapped on

Comments

• startrek1warsstartrek1wars Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Seems interesting, and cool. Just waiting for a visual update to the TR-116B. Pretty Please?
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    • Beam Overload:
          • For example, the Auxiliary Disruptor Array no longer drains Aux power when fired.
    let me guess...due to the way you coded the [Over] mod that is apparently not supposed to drain power when it procs, this was the only way you were able to fix that issue without resorting to very convoluted code hacks?

and this just made DBBs with [CrtD]x3 far more valuable
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    FAW is so OP that nobody was using BO, so that needed to change!

Still happy to see the Tr-116 changes.

Maybe, just maybe, the already mediocre cannon and torpedo abilities could get an overhaul too?
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • sirboulevardsirboulevard Member Posts: 722 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    let me guess...due to the way you coded the [Over] mod that is apparently not supposed to drain power when it procs, this was the only way you were able to fix that issue without resorting to very convoluted code hacks?

and this just made DBBs with [CrtD]x3 far more valuable

Actually, you're wrong about that. AdjucatorHawk has been on Twitter discussing making Beam Overload, in general, more appealing so that it is on par with FAW.

That said, very happy feedback on the TR-116 proved handy and has done something about it. Now all it needs is a screen accurate model ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

TRIBBLE Hydra! Hail Janeway!
  • schneemann83schneemann83 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Given the damage a BO crit can reach -25% damage seems rather low, especially with no more energy drain. Sure FAW as the other beam skill is op as hell, but still, this sounds crazy.
  • hajmyishajmyis Member Posts: 405 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    We will be bringing down the Tribble server for maintenance to apply a new update: ST.42.20140720a.7

General:
    • Resolved an issue where the TR-116B weapon was not performing as intended.
      • As a result the Shield Penetration of the weapon has been increased.
    • Beam Overload:
    • Resolved an issue which was causing much lag in the Foundry.
    • Craylon Gas now has a chance to be rewarded in the Elite Queues Rhllho Station, Mine Trap, and the Nukara Interior and Exterior fights.
    • Small pips have been added to rarity borders to make it easier to distinguish the rarity of an item.
    • Updated Duty Officer frame for ultra rare and legendary rarities to match the changes made to item rarities.

Known Issues:
    • Replicating needed commodities for Duty Officers assignments is not registered by the assignment when slotted.
      • This is causing players to have to back out of the assignment and then slot it again to start it.
    • The trade channel cannot be left.

are you joking?...is it april 1st yet? I mean really BO always crit, you damn there F'ed up
    "Frankly, not sure why you're on a one man nerf campaign. "
    edited July 2014
    Actually, you're wrong about that. AdjucatorHawk has been on Twitter discussing making Beam Overload, in general, more appealing so that it is on par with FAW.

That said, very happy feedback on the TR-116 proved handy and has done something about it. Now all it needs is a screen accurate model ;)
    it's going to take a lot more than that...it still only fires once off one weapon
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
  • zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Would be nice if we could craft the Klingon dagger for something special for KDF like the TR rifle is federation based content... Just saying lol :D
  • khaoskrowkhaoskrow Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Wait wait, is this just the [Over] proc? Because if you did this to BO3, oh dear lord. BO3 on a vape build with AP dual beams and over 160% CritD? You can imagine why I'm a little worried. Because that would be SO overpowered. And the Vapers really don't need the help.
    PvPer, RPer, novice writer, RP/PvP/PvE tutor, purveyor of fine snark, and KDF mourner. R.I.P. Ker'rat.
  • hajmyishajmyis Member Posts: 405 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    khaoskrow wrote: »
    Wait wait, is this just the [Over] proc? Because if you did this to BO3, oh dear lord. BO3 on a vape build with AP dual beams and over 160% CritD? You can imagine why I'm a little worried. Because that would be SO overpowered. And the Vapers really don't need the help.

I really hope that is just the [over] mod, even then that should not proc a crit everytime.

But if B03 100% crit chance then no need for crit chance consoles, lets max critd to 200% + and have our one shot kills everytime instead of half of the time
    "Frankly, not sure why you're on a one man nerf campaign. "
  • drake122svkdrake122svk Member Posts: 731 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    WTF it always crits and no longer drains power? Seriously!? That's a lot of BS right there.
  • dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Beam Overload:

Beam Overload attacks are now always a Critical Hit.

Their tooltips have been updated to indicate that they always Critically Hit.

WHAT

Beam Overload no longer drains Weapon Power.

WHAT

Beam Overload's base damage has been reduced by 25% under the hood.

its damage will be higher on average due to 100% Critical chance.

WHAT

All Power Level drain from Lance-type powers has been removed.

For example, the Auxiliary Disruptor Array no longer drains Aux power when fired.

Damage and critical chance of all Lance-type powers remains unchanged.

WHAT

i dont think ive ever been more shocked by patch notes, and ive been pretty floored by at least a dozen in this games history.

i need a moment to contemplate this, but in the mean time, id be really interested in hearing what the thinking behind this radical change is. my first guess is to control HUGE range of damage a BO can cause, into a much tighter range. having it always crit though, there's more then a handful of procs that react to those

having it not drain energy will have an enormousness positive impact on BO's effect on your DPS, and improve BO+ DHC builds dramatically in follow up spike. lol, that DEM doff could not be more worthless now.

is this all really to make the skill less useless in pve? its gotno down sides now, it doesn't lower the DPS of your oterh weapons till your energy levels stabilize, and its damage range is much more stable and predictable, and higher. its changes like this that make me think i got the wrong spire tactical consoles.
  • captainmd10captainmd10 Member Posts: 199 Arc User
    edited July 2014

Confirmed, it applies to standard Beam Overload powers, just looked at the new tooltip.

The power description in the skill window is not correct yet though, nor is the tooltip for mousing over Beam Overload. The beam tooltip is correct when it gets the overload charge though.
  • freenos85freenos85 Member Posts: 443 Arc User
    edited July 2014

General:
    • Beam Overload:

So what you want to tell me is, i only need to go CrtD from now on and one-shot everything. Be it PvE or (and this is especially sad) PvP.
      Is this really because FAW is too strong? Can't you bring Faw inline? Just give it a negative damage multiplier.
  • adjudicatorhawkadjudicatorhawk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    hajmyis wrote: »
    I really hope that is just the [over] mod, even then that should not proc a crit everytime.

But if B03 100% crit chance then no need for crit chance consoles, lets max critd to 200% + and have our one shot kills everytime instead of half of the time

It's all Beam Overloads. However, we can now tune the damage to whatever value is high enough to be a worthwhile DPS power, without worrying about extremely high spikes on subsequent critical hits.
    Jeff "Adjudicator Hawk" Hamilton
    Systems Designer - Cryptic Studios
    Twitter: @JeffAHamilton
  • ruinsfateruinsfate Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Cool, so when are the equivalent cannon buiffs coming?
  • icegavelicegavel Member Posts: 991 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    General:

What's an Auxiliary Disruptor Array...?
    edited July 2014
    I have really poor CritD on my Vape Modai since I worked on getting its CritH over 30%. But I still max out around 80k with BO3 on fleet AP weapons. Now, that's not a kill. But combined with other weapons it hurts a ton. Now you're saying that it'll hurt less, but always be a crit? What about that 90k Proton Barrage hit from the Dyson set? The one that goes through shields? Had one knock me down from 100% to 12% in one shot. And I had something like 52k hull. Now they can add a 100% BO3 on to the tail end of that? WITH flanking damage? My god. And I thought A2B was unbalanced. The rolling alpha strikes that the HoBO spawn campers do will be... jeez, I won't be able to sit for a week after.
    PvPer, RPer, novice writer, RP/PvP/PvE tutor, purveyor of fine snark, and KDF mourner. R.I.P. Ker'rat.
  • trelane87trelane87 Member Posts: 242 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Updated Duty Officer frame for ultra rare and legendary rarities to match the changes made to item rarities.

Huh... There are no Ultra Rare or Legendary doffs... or are there? :rolleyes:

Plus does this mean the portrait frames of doffs will change too? I just checked and they have remained unchanged.
    edited July 2014
    icegavel wrote: »
    good question...hawk, what the hell is this?

#LegalizeAwoo

• doffingcomradedoffingcomrade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    [*]For example, the Auxiliary Disruptor Array no longer drains Aux power when fired.
    The what? There is no such thing as an Auxiliary Disruptor Array.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2014
    hajmyis wrote: »

good question...hawk, what the hell is this?

It's probably an NPC power or something. It was just one of the lance-type powers I found that drained power before, so I included it as an example. Maybe the Mogai electric lance would have been a better example.
    edited July 2014
    I have really poor CritD on my Vape Modai since I worked on getting its CritH over 30%. But I still max out around 80k with BO3 on fleet AP weapons. Now, that's not a kill. But combined with other weapons it hurts a ton. Now you're saying that it'll hurt less, but always be a crit? What about that 90k Proton Barrage hit from the Dyson set? The one that goes through shields? Had one knock me down from 100% to 12% in one shot. And I had something like 52k hull. Now they can add a 100% BO3 on to the tail end of that? WITH flanking damage? My god. And I thought A2B was unbalanced. The rolling alpha strikes that the HoBO spawn campers do will be... jeez, I won't be able to sit for a week after.

In your example, your 80k crit will actually be lower now (by 25% in base damage). But your average Beam Overload damage will be higher over time. Lower maximum burst, higher sustained DPS.
  • sfc#5932 sfc Member Posts: 992 Bug Hunter
    edited July 2014
    icegavel wrote: »
    Perhaps it could be that Science ship ability auxiliary - target weapons or something.
  • ruinsfateruinsfate Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Vesta Quantum Field Focus Controller or the Bortasqu's Disrupter Autocannon perhaps?
    edited July 2014
    In your example, your 80k crit will actually be lower now (by 25% in base damage). But your average Beam Overload damage will be higher over time. Lower maximum burst, higher sustained DPS.

So you're balancing it away from cloaked spikers and more towards DPS builds. Seems like a shift from PVP focused ability to a more general PVE ability. Then again, -25% on a 80k crit is still nothing to sneeze at. And that's with a severity of... 106%, I think? I hear people can get nearly double that. I guess I'll have to see how it plays in PVP before I whine any further. One thing I know though, if this really is a noticeable drop in spike damage from cloak the KDF is not going to be happy.
    edited July 2014
    ruinsfate wrote: »
    Vesta Quantum Field Focus Controller or the Bortasqu's Disrupter Autocannon perhaps?
    neither of those drain auxiliary power when fired, though...in fact, the only things that do are [Aux] weapons and A2B, as far as i know

and auxiliary subsystem targeting, but that drains it from enemies, not yourself

so that's probably what hawk modified, and therefore broke, since that one's SUPPOSED to drain power

#LegalizeAwoo

edited July 2014
    i need a moment to contemplate this, but in the mean time, id be really interested in hearing what the thinking behind this radical change is. my first guess is to control HUGE range of damage a BO can cause, into a much tighter range. having it always crit though, there's more then a handful of procs that react to those

That was a large part of the reasoning. I wanted to make Beam Overload mechanically unique, worth using, and satisfying. Beam Overload is sort of the quintessential "Timmy" power in STO - it's fun because big numbers pop up on your screen. It was a "trap power" before, since after the big number, all of your subsequent little numbers got littler.

It's cool if you want to use BO to proc "on crit" effects. Now you have a way to force that, if you want to build around it.
    is this all really to make the skill less useless in pve? its gotno down sides now, it doesn't lower the DPS of your oterh weapons till your energy levels stabilize, and its damage range is much more stable and predictable, and higher.

It's fine for a skill to have downsides, but in BO's case that downside wasn't really communicated well, and it was overtuned to the point of making a DPS cooldown a DPS loss. BO being bad also forced FAW to be good at both Single Target and AoE. With BO present as a single-target beam power, we can hypothetically refocus Fire at Will to be more about Area of Effect and less rewarding if used on only a single target.
    edited July 2014
    So you're balancing it away from cloaked spikers and more towards DPS builds. Seems like a shift from PVP focused ability to a more general PVE ability. Then again, -25% on a 80k crit is still nothing to sneeze at. And that's with a severity of... 106%, I think? I hear people can get nearly double that. I guess I'll have to see how it plays in PVP before I whine any further. One thing I know though, if this really is a noticeable drop in spike damage from cloak the KDF is not going to be happy.

OK. People blowing other people up in one shot doesn't make me happy. So we can be even. :P

BO will remain a substantial burst damage tool, but as much as possible I want to move combat out of the "one-shot" territory and out of the "infinite slugfest" territory, and towards a happy medium where people die under focused fire but have a chance to react and outplay.

This applies to PvE as well - NPCs one-shotting players isn't fun, and players one-shotting NPCs isn't really fun either, long-term.