test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Devs Please Buff the Narcine's Mobulai Frigates

gooddaytodie39gooddaytodie39 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
I'm loving the Narcine so far, so kudos on a great ship that looks great too albeit a little flat. With that said, I think the Mobulai frigate pets could really use a tweak to their firepower. I parsed them at 1300 DPS. Seems pretty low for a Frigate and iirc that would put it below some fighters out there and probably towards the bottom of the list for frigate DPS.
From what I've seen so far, the mines they drop are pretty useless.
My suggestions would be to give them Torp Spread. You could start with TS 1 for the basic Mobulais and go up to TS3 for the Elites. I suggest TS just because it would be different. No other pets use that BO power.
For their beams I'd suggest giving them Beam Overload I-III though beam Fire at Will would be cool too.

Thanks for the consideration.
Post edited by gooddaytodie39 on

Comments

• no09dysonsphereno09dysonsphere Member Posts: 410 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Wasn't there a thread earlier about JHAS pets being unlocked for all JHDC owners because the Narcine was superior in every way? :D enjoying the irony, but yeah, the Mobulai is pretty bad - the weapon layout is terrible (an aft beam array and a fore dual beam bank, really?) compared to every other frigate pet (it's the only frigate without 4 forward firing weapons) and the mine dispersal is the least useful ability (not to mention every other frigate gets at least 2 abilities plus a special whereas the poor Mobulai gets only 1 plus the cascade resonance...).
  • gooddaytodie39gooddaytodie39 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Ya it is ironic. At this point I think any action by the Devs regarding any carrier in any fashion will be used to further the argument of the JHDC getting unlocked Bug pets by those that want them but can't afford a Bug ship. "Cryptic just put out a new Romulan Carrier, so you have to unlock the Bug ship pets for the JHDC!"

I agree that they should be unlocked. But I don't agree that the Narcine out classes the Jemmy. Without looking at a head to head comparison, that only thing that sticks out in my mind is the turn rate. But considering you'll be running either as beam boats because of the OP beam reasons, turn rate makes no difference.
  • cerealplayercerealplayer Member Posts: 214 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I would really, really, like confirmation from the devs about whether this is a bug, or WAI.
  • lebtronlebtron Member Posts: 296 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I parsed them at 1300 DPS.

I parsed the voth elite frigates with about 500 dps (one wing). There were complaints about them being sensless since release... They got still no buff, so balancing pets seems not to be intended.
    edited July 2014
    Hmm well maybe they'll look at the Voth ones too. They have done some tweaking to pets in the past so I'm hoping they'll add a power or two to the Mobulai. Since the Xindi Lock Box was your baby Borticus, any word on these? Can we add a beam or torp power to them to boost their DPS?
    I'd really rather not run Scorps or Swarmers...
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,823 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    f2pdrakron wrote: »
    Voth dont have frigates, they have fighters.

Problem with fighters is they dont live long and are easily destroyed and on the Voth fighters case they have a rear torpedo.

Well they're called fighters but honestly they're more equivalent to shuttles.
    edited July 2014
    Let's keep this thread on topic please. This is not a place to debate whether or not Voth pets are fighters, shuttles or cupcakes. This is a thread about the Mobulai frigates needing a buff. K thnx.
  • svindal777svindal777 Member Posts: 856 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    That is one flat ship, guess it only has 1 deck.
    Well excuse me for having enormous flaws that I don't work on.
  • blitzy4blitzy4 Member Posts: 839 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Are you sure you're not missing their purpose? They seem pretty tanky to me.
    jKixCmJ.jpg
    "..and like children playing after sunset, we were surrounded by darkness." -Ruri Hoshino

edited July 2014
    blitzy4 wrote: »
    Are you sure you're not missing their purpose? They seem pretty tanky to me.
    Well, Frigates should seem tanky compared to their fighter and runabout counterparts.
    In this game though, I don't see a point to having a "tanky" hangar pet with low DPS. If the Devs intended role for these guys was just good ol' survivability and low damage and they'll confirm that then I'll understand and go get me some elite swarmers or Scorps. But like I've said, I'd prefer they buffed the current ones so I can run the pets that match the ship...ya know?
  • vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,853 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    is that parse per pet? per wing? or for all four?
    Spock.jpg

• mreeves7amreeves7a Member Posts: 499 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Honestly...I don't see an issue with the Mobulai's damage output (at least with the Elites). Only issue I have with them is their rather slow speed, which can be an issue as quick and nimble as the carrier itself is.

As to their role; the Mobulai fit somewhere between DPS and Debuff, the beam's needle burst proc, the mines, the resonance cascade burst...they're all about AoE damage and minor damage resistance debuffs. They work wonders when you run a sci in the carrier's lt cmdr slot for GW1 and their habit of hugging their target makes them good reflectors for the carrier's Ripples of Death console.
    edited July 2014
    is that parse per pet? per wing? or for all four?
    The parse was for all four frigates. If anyone wants to double check my testing fell free, I'm by no means an expert parser/tester.
    edited July 2014
    The parse was for all four frigates. If anyone wants to double check my testing fell free, I'm by no means an expert parser/tester.

If that's for the elites, wow, how really really sad. Does that include the cascade as well?

My guess is it's the combination of poor weapon layout and lack of offensive abilities besides the mine dispersal.
  • seriousdaveseriousdave Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    They're not that bad. The main problem is the terrible pet "AI" (using the term loosly here). The only times their mines actually hit your opponents are when you spawn your pets right next to them. Like other pets they are more or less braindead and barely use the abilitys they have. Some tweaking would be appreciated but what really needs a fix is pet behavior in general.
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    svindal777 wrote: »
    That is one flat ship, guess it only has 1 deck.

Beautiful as it is, it's entirely too flat, LOL. Keep in mind they're supposed to be filled with water, and they're quite bulky (in Enterprise at least).

Their size is off too. They need to be as large as a Voth Citadel (or close to it). Maybe that's impractical for the game, I get that; but yeah, they're too flat.

Bridge is a bust too, btw. Like with the Undine ships, seems they've given up on making nice bridges.

OT: Yeah, at 100k FC a pop. pets could use a buff. They don't die a lot, though, so nurturing them may well pay off (haven't gotten mine long enough to tell; only bought the ship yesterday).
    3lsZz0w.jpg
    edited July 2014
    If that's for the elites, wow, how really really sad. Does that include the cascade as well?

My guess is it's the combination of poor weapon layout and lack of offensive abilities besides the mine dispersal.

It was for the basic ones that come with the ship. The only difference between the basic and elite are more mines and stronger cascade and with the mines doing next to nothing because they're not dropped near targets, I can't imagine there would be a significant dmg increase with the Elites.
    I don't know enough about the Cascade's debuff versus say Attack Pattern Beta. Does it stack?
    I'm guessing Bort and Dev's are super busy preparing for the Vegas Trek and we won't hear anything on this till after the convention...
  • megacharge07megacharge07 Member Posts: 476 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    The Mobulai frigates really need a speed and agility buff. These things are horrendously slow to get to their targets. Adding THY for the Elite Mobulai's wouldn't hurt and would be useful as well.
    tumblr_mt0cmzAQpC1rm3hhlo2_500.gif
    edited July 2014
    Any chance of these getting a tweak? Devs?
    edited July 2014
    Let's keep this thread on topic please. This is not a place to debate whether or not Voth pets are fighters, shuttles or cupcakes. This is a thread about the Mobulai frigates needing a buff. K thnx.

But this thread needs something to talk about :P

As lebtron pointed out they don't seem to care much about modding carrier pets, ai or build.

The Heavy Fighters are junk and have been since release...which was a long time ago. I just don't think they will bother with the Mobulai either...the only things I've seen them do to carrier pets in the last what...year or more has only made them worse.
    edited August 2014
    Ok curiosity (and extra ec and dilithium burning a hole in my pocket) got the better of me and I bought the narcine and 2 hangers of the elite mobulais to test. Ran infected and khitomer elites, no pet doffs or traits, the mobulais averaged around 4.5k dps in both. Still pretty bad, and not something flight deck officers and wing commander can perform miracles on imo.

Still think it's the setup, I'd like to see the beam configuration switched to Phased Biomatter Dual Beam Bank x2 and an Omnidirection Phased Biomatter Beam Array plus Beam Overload 3 or something, the mine is not cutting it.
  • orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    For their beams I'd suggest giving them Beam Overload I-III though beam Fire at Will would be cool too.
    I was looking for a way to obliterate Borg Unimatrix ships in under 5 seconds. I think this may be a good way. :D
  • phoeniciusphoenicius Member Posts: 762 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    IMO, the only odd thing about the mobulais, is how their elite version doesn't get anything truly extra, it barely makes a difference whatever you're using their regular version, adv or elite.
  • mosul33mosul33 Member Posts: 836 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Ok curiosity (and extra ec and dilithium burning a hole in my pocket) got the better of me and I bought the narcine and 2 hangers of the elite mobulais to test. Ran infected and khitomer elites, no pet doffs or traits, the mobulais averaged around 4.5k dps in both. Still pretty bad, and not something flight deck officers and wing commander can perform miracles on imo.

Still think it's the setup, I'd like to see the beam configuration switched to Phased Biomatter Dual Beam Bank x2 and an Omnidirection Phased Biomatter Beam Array plus Beam Overload 3 or something, the mine is not cutting it.

I am sry I dont understand, 4.5k dps is not good enuff? I remember when rom drones came, parsers showed same, on elites too. And I think at some point in the past someone parsed my elite jhas pets too at the same 4k-5k dps range. Dont get me wrong, I am not saying they dont need improvements, but for different reasons. I'll explain why:

Now here are the stats, had to quote them since wiki dont have them yet.
    Here are the details for each rank of the Xindi-Aquatic Mobulai Frigate hangar pets.

Rare (Blue) Quality
    Xindi-Aquatic Mobulai Frigates

2x Phased Biomatter Beam Arrays (1 fore, 1 aft)
    Phased Biomatter Dual Beam Bank (fore)
    Quantum Torpedo Launcher (fore)
    Quantum Mine Launcher (aft)
    Mine Dispersal Pattern Alpha I
    Cascade Resonance Burst I (this ability mimics the functionality of the Carrier's console, but does not chain off multiple targets)

Very Rare (Purple) Quality

Advanced Xindi-Aquatic Mobulai Frigates

Mine Dispersal Pattern Alpha II
    Cascade Resonance Burst II (same as Rank I, but deals more damage)

Ultra-Rare (Fleet) Quality
    Elite Xindi-Aquatic Mobulai Frigate

Mine Dispersal Pattern Alpha III
    Cascade Resonance Burst III (same as Rank II, but also increases the resistance debuff potency)

I've noticed that the fore beam array doenst fire. Only the dual beam and torp seems to fire from fore. The aft beam array fires normaly.
    And as about the mines, the pets do launch them, but it seems only when they are in range. Here I have to say they are smarter then other pets like the yelowstone pets, wich spam plasma all over the place. Probably thats why some ppl thought the mobulai didnt use its mines, becouse were expecting to just spam them all over the place.
    My only suggestion is to switch dispersal pattern alpha with beta. Alpha, acording to wiki, both rank II and III spawn the same number of mines. And I know wiki is outdated and unreliable, but here I tend to agree. I've witnessed very low number of mines deployed with dispersal pattern alpha III. This way pets efectivness with increase and still keep them WAI.
    Also one last thing, would be nice if the elite version would gain an extra skill, like alot of other hangar pets have, even if its rank I.
  • megacharge07megacharge07 Member Posts: 476 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Honestly the only thing the elite version needs is the front single beam fixed so it fires with the dual beam bank, and torpedo high yield 2. The Elite Mobulai's would be fine with those fixes/additions.
    tumblr_mt0cmzAQpC1rm3hhlo2_500.gif
    edited August 2014
    mosul33 wrote: »
    I am sry I dont understand, 4.5k dps is not good enuff? I remember when rom drones came, parsers showed same, on elites too. And I think at some point in the past someone parsed my elite jhas pets too at the same 4k-5k dps range. Dont get me wrong, I am not saying they dont need improvements, but for different reasons. I'll explain why:

Now here are the stats, had to quote them since wiki dont have them yet.

I've noticed that the fore beam array doenst fire. Only the dual beam and torp seems to fire from fore. The aft beam array fires normaly.
    And as about the mines, the pets do launch them, but it seems only when they are in range. Here I have to say they are smarter then other pets like the yelowstone pets, wich spam plasma all over the place. Probably thats why some ppl thought the mobulai didnt use its mines, becouse were expecting to just spam them all over the place.
    My only suggestion is to switch dispersal pattern alpha with beta. Alpha, acording to wiki, both rank II and III spawn the same number of mines. And I know wiki is outdated and unreliable, but here I tend to agree. I've witnessed very low number of mines deployed with dispersal pattern alpha III. This way pets efectivness with increase and still keep them WAI.
    Also one last thing, would be nice if the elite version would gain an extra skill, like alot of other hangar pets have, even if its rank I.

Question is are you expecting them to spew out as many mines as a player? Pets only drop a single mine while a unbuffed player mine launches 4.
  • senseiarksenseiark Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Personally i kind of like them, if u recall them once u launch all of them, then launch them when u get near your enemy and tractor them, you can do a nice amount of damage

although it would be better if it had spread or something else