test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Plasmonic Leech - best way to use these things?

gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
edited July 2014 in Romulan Discussion
Alright, for a silly reason, I decided to snatch up a bunch of Tal Shiar boxes and bought me a bunch of keys to let my old, neglected "alien" Fed-Rom Eng have some goodies. To my surprise, I ended up with two Plasmonic Leech boxes! Oh, happy day!

Now, here comes the problem - what do I do with it? Now, the easy way is simple - sell the things for about 30 mil each and get a LOT of EC, but as I said, I'm a Fed-Rom, so these things don't grow on trees as if I was KDF-Rom.

So as someone who runs with your basic, easy to grab Mirror Ships plus the Risian ships, give me some pointers as to how to use them effectively.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,635 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Well, sell one, as you can only have one mounted on a given ship anyways.

As for using the other in a build, put it in a console slot and then shoot things with energy weapons, it drains power from what you're hitting and you gain power for stuff hit. You can get more drain/return if you're spec'ed Flow Capacitor Skill and/or have consoles or deflectors mounted that give that skill.
  • sonnikkusonnikku Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I remember when these things were like a million each... When I finally broke down and bought one a year ago for 7 million credits, I thought I was getting fleeced. :eek:
  • captainoblivouscaptainoblivous Member Posts: 2,284 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    tom61sto wrote: »
    As for using the other in a build, put it in a console slot and then shoot things with energy weapons, it drains power from what you're hitting and you gain power for stuff hit. You can get more drain/return if you're spec'ed Flow Capacitor Skill and/or have consoles or deflectors mounted that give that skill.

^ This. You quite simply have to mount it in the build and start firing. That's it.
    Just remember to spec 6/9 in flow caps. It'll help immensely by improving the power you get from it quite dramatically, plus it's a dirt cheap skill anyway so there really is no reason not to. Flow caps will help with any kind of drain as well, ranging from polaron weapon procs, to energy siphons and tykens rifts to name a few.

sonnikku wrote: »
    I remember when these things were like a million each... When I finally broke down and bought one a year ago for 7 million credits, I thought I was getting fleeced. :eek:

Heh, I remember when they were 10k a pop. I should have bought a bunch of them :o
    I need a beer.

• atlmyklatlmykl Member Posts: 305 Arc User1
    edited July 2014
    Just remember to spec 6/9 in flow caps.

I say go 9/9

It is a tier one skill so it is only 1k per pip and that last 3 will get you 4.8 more power total and 4.8 more drained from your target total. Almost a 10 point swing from you and your target. What better skill could you buy for 3k? A tier 4 or 5 power skill would only give 2 power for 3k.
  • dahminusdahminus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014

I think it was me that told you to grab them while their "cheap"
    Chive on and prosper, eh?

My PvE/PvP hybrid skill tree
    edited July 2014
    Yes, maybe you did. I was like your Padawan learner back in the day on these boards...

But you'll be dismayed to learn I fell to the dark side soon after, putting that leech on my Scimitar along with that new fangled Valdore console and romulan plasma. :eek:
  • jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Yeah...

I recently bought one for my Fed Toon for almost 30 million EC and I am currently working on getting 30 mil for my Romulan toon.

I am going with an Omega rep set. Someone told me that one of the Omega sets cancels out the Plasmonic Leech, but I can't remember which set. Is it the Assimilated MACO? Dunno... I would appreciate an answer to my question.
  • dahminusdahminus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Yes, maybe you did. I was like your Padawan learner back in the day on these boards...

But you'll be dismayed to learn I fell to the dark side soon after, putting that leech on my Scimitar along with that new fangled Valdore console and romulan plasma. :eek:

I recall telling you to do that too
    Chive on and prosper, eh?

My PvE/PvP hybrid skill tree
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited July 2014
    From the info I put up in the wiki and in about 4 to 5 different posts:

Plasmonic leech drains up to 8 times the number shown.

The drain you get per activation is:
    Drain = 1 + (Flow Capacitors * 0.01)

The drain numbers are rounded up to one decimal place, but it seems they use at least two decimals when calculating the power drain
  • swamarianswamarian Member Posts: 1,506 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I believe that the leech conflicts with the MACO shield. Both drain, but they'll overwrite each other, so you'll be worse off than using either individually. (Not sure if it's MACO, but I know that it's the shield with a drain.)
  • shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    atlmykl wrote: »
    I say go 9/9

It is a tier one skill so it is only 1k per pip and that last 3 will get you 4.8 more power total and 4.8 more drained from your target total. Almost a 10 point swing from you and your target. What better skill could you buy for 3k? A tier 4 or 5 power skill would only give 2 power for 3k.

The difference according to the wiki, and the formula provided by lucho between a 6/9, and a 9/9 is as follows. (1+[FC*0.01])

6/9=1.84 per tick x 8=14.72
    9/9=1.99 per tick x 8=15.92

A whopping difference of 1.2 total.

Rounding up it would look like so.

6/9=1.8 per tick x 8=14.4 or 14.0
    9/9=2.0 per tick x 8=16.0

With a difference of 2.

Now mind you, this is with absolutely no boost from any source, just going off of base skill points, so I am wondering how you came up with, the concept that 3 more skill points nets an additional 4.8 per subsystem?
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• woodwhitywoodwhity Member Posts: 2,636 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Now mind you, this is with absolutely no boost from any source, just going off of base skill points, so I am wondering how you came up with, the concept that 3 more skill points nets an additional 4.8 per subsystem?

4 subsystems a 1.2 are 4.8 energy in total, arent it? Thats what he meant.
  • adwynythadwynyth Member Posts: 369 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    If I'm not mistaken, firing at more ships increases the amount you get. I'm not sure if it's truly "per ship" or not, but I have observed that I seem to get more power from it when using FAW with ships all around than just firing at a single target.
  • baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    swamarian wrote: »
    I believe that the leech conflicts with the MACO shield. Both drain, but they'll overwrite each other, so you'll be worse off than using either individually. (Not sure if it's MACO, but I know that it's the shield with a drain.)

na, it doesn't drain power from the player or NPC that shoots at you, it only applies a buff that stacks energy as you are being shot at.
    unfortunatly they not only do not stack, the leech proc (on you) resets the maco proc...which means it negates each other...however the leech would still deplete the enemys energy.

anyway, as you said, you'd be worth off using both together than only one.
    If I'm not mistaken, firing at more ships increases the amount you get. I'm not sure if it's truly "per ship" or not, but I have observed that I seem to get more power from it when using FAW with ships all around than just firing at a single target.

also not the case, fireing at more than one target does only increase the speed to hit the proc cap...for each hit you get one "token" the amount of power each "token" gives you is determined by your flow cap skill. I'm not entirely sure what the "token" cap is, but i think it is 8. But this was often changed in various patches, so it might be much lower now. So fireing at more targets drains the power from all targets hit, depending on how often they got hit, but it only helps to reach the cap faster, but the actual energy drain and gain amount is not influenced.
    Go pro or go home
    edited July 2014
    dahminus wrote: »
    I recall telling you to do that too

You led me down a dark path. :(
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Meanwhile, back on Qo'nos, Plasmonic Leech is handed out like candy. Aceton Assimilators also :cool:
    XzRTofz.gif
  • atlmyklatlmykl Member Posts: 305 Arc User1
    edited July 2014

Which is why I said 4.8 TOTAL not sure where you got per subsystem. You can see it where you quoted me.
  • variant37variant37 Member Posts: 867 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Meanwhile, back on Qo'nos, Plasmonic Leech is handed out like candy. Aceton Assimilators also :cool:

Indeed! That and marauding are why my Rommies and Remans are all KDF-aligned.
  • woodwhitywoodwhity Member Posts: 2,636 Arc User
    edited July 2014

Pssssst. Those are the little advantages the KDF still has, dont let it here FEDs ;)
  • jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Okay, so the Plasmonic Leech conflicts with the "Omega shield" that drains energy. I'll keep an eye out for that.

Now I need to respec my Fed Engineering toon 'cuz I have zero points allocated to FC.
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    jaguarskx wrote: »
    Okay, so the Plasmonic Leech conflicts with the "Omega shield" that drains energy. I'll keep an eye out for that.

Now I need to respec my Fed Engineering toon 'cuz I have zero points allocated to FC.

No, it conflicts with the MACO / Adapted Honor Guard Shields.

Those 2 shields give extra energy for every energy attack that hits you. This is what conflicts with Plasmonic Leech.

Omega Force Shield does not conflict.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • razar2380razar2380 Member Posts: 1,185 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    To tell the truth, if you don't have problems with your power levels, then you will be just fine without it. Though the Leech is really only worth 1 million EC tops, I would sell them both, unless you have problems with power levels, and need help from it.

I have 9 toons, and only 5 have it. 3 are on the Klink side. Though I still don't use the Leech all of the time. Most of the time I am playing around with other, newer consoles, and usually don't switch back.

I do play non-PVP almost all of the time. So, if you play PVP a lot, it might be more helpful.
    Leader of Elite Guardian Academy.Would you like to learn how to run a fleet? Would you like to know how to do ship builds (true budget as well as high end)?The join the Academy today!
  • weelerdweelerd Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Alright, for a silly reason, I decided to snatch up a bunch of Tal Shiar boxes and bought me a bunch of keys to let my old, neglected "alien" Fed-Rom Eng have some goodies. To my surprise, I ended up with two Plasmonic Leech boxes! Oh, happy day!

Now, here comes the problem - what do I do with it? Now, the easy way is simple - sell the things for about 30 mil each and get a LOT of EC, but as I said, I'm a Fed-Rom, so these things don't grow on trees as if I was KDF-Rom.

So as someone who runs with your basic, easy to grab Mirror Ships plus the Risian ships, give me some pointers as to how to use them effectively.

What to do wit the plasmonic leech console: keep it. Put it on your ship. The Plasmonic leech console is the single greatest and most over powered piece of space equipment the game has, and if anyone knew how great the plasmonic leech is, the price would be 100 million ec.
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited July 2014
    The difference according to the wiki, and the formula provided by lucho between a 6/9, and a 9/9 is as follows. (1+[FC*0.01])

6/9=1.84 per tick x 8=14.72
    9/9=1.99 per tick x 8=15.92

A whopping difference of 1.2 total.

Rounding up it would look like so.

6/9=1.8 per tick x 8=14.4 or 14.0
    9/9=2.0 per tick x 8=16.0

With a difference of 2.

I'll give even more detail since some people need a lot more info.

1) In most circumstances, using Plasmonic Leech is better than the MACO bonus. Only way MACO is better is if you spent only 1 skill point in flow caps and your total flow caps skill is 18.

2) You always get the boost stated in my equation, but the target's drained power is determined by a combination of the target's power insulator and how many times sensor analysis is stacked on the target. Power insulators work like armor (personal testing) with the exact same diminishing returns. At 100, you get 50% protection. Sensor analysis lowers resistance to drains up to 30%. It's a shame developers never added "Power drain resistance" to the ship's defense category. It would be very informative to players.

3) Plasmonic leech gets its most effectiveness out of drain focused builds. That being said, it's the easiest way for Romulans to overcome the -40 power gap. By just spending 1 skill point in flow caps Romulans almost overcome the gap.
    weelerd wrote: »
    What to do wit the plasmonic leech console: keep it. Put it on your ship. The Plasmonic leech console is the single greatest and most over powered piece of space equipment the game has, and if anyone knew how great the plasmonic leech is, the price would be 100 million ec.

Nah, I'll give that title to the Aceton Assimilator. Just one day with it, and I can confirm it's a nasty piece of equipment. Take it from someone who uses all the different drains in this game, if you drop one close to a target, it's pretty nasty.

Also, the inspirational leader trait is the other really OP thing in the game. I always have +10 to +30 all skills without aux2bat. Aux2bat builds have it up and fully stacked all the time.