test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Tribble Maintenance and Release Notes - July 10, 2014

Comments

• arrmateysarrmateys Member Posts: 464 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    not in the current version. the component is colored normally if you have at least one item.
    Now clowns, that's another story. They scare the cr​ap out of me.
    We fight them too. Entire armies spilling out of Volkswagens.
    We do our best to fight them off, but they keep sending them in.
  • jarodroto123jarodroto123 Member Posts: 1,337 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    arrmateys wrote: »
    not in the current version. the component is colored normally if you have at least one item.

thats weird, must have broke in this patch then, i checked after the patch on the 8th and it still did that.
  • captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    trelane87 wrote: »
    The doff UI still looks ridiculous... I made a little side by side comparison:

http://i.imgur.com/PM8JfF7.png

Can anyone say with a straight face that the new UI is an 'improvement'? Not only is it aesthetically unappealing, you can no longer click on an assignment and get a complete rundown of it quickly. You can argue that the new UI shows what you need for the assignment and what you get from it, but to bloat the assignment bars up to the crazy size they are now is not worth it. I can see 8 assignments on the old UI without scrolling, on the new UI I can only see 5. Please scrap this and start over!

It is in now way an improvement, it increases the amount of physical action you have to take to accomplish any task and provides less information at the same time. No military or scientific vessel would adopt his over the previous version. It would be like dropping Windows XP for Windows Vista.
    So here's a run through doing an assignment. For this example I set up the "Strike Against Fugitive Support Network":

Old System

1. On the assignment page you have everything laid out for you, and on the left hand side I have a nice big list of all the doffs I can use for this assignment:

http://i.imgur.com/akadmgh.png

2. For an assignment that only asks for doffs of a certain department I like to either use doffs I have excess of or ones of a profession I hardly use, in this case I used 2 Conn Officers and a Shield Distribution Officer:

http://i.imgur.com/brMCZW5.png

It was very easy to scroll down and find the doffs I wanted.

New System

1. The new UI chose the doffs for the assignment automatically:

http://i.imgur.com/EZ95D0F.png

While this is a nice addition these doffs could be better used in other assignments (Security Officers in particular have many assignments that specifically require them).

2. So I want to change them, I click on the select button and get this:

http://i.imgur.com/pBXz8Zo.png

What is this... a center for ants??? Every single that should be small on the UI is MASSIVE, and the one thing that should actually be bigger is tiny! What order is this even in?

3. So after scrolling through this thing 3 times I finally find the doffs I'm looking for:

http://i.imgur.com/hbl2kef.png

And I should note I have a fairly large screen that I play on, so if you have a smaller screen good luck to you :P

Excellent example. This is a problem.

And I can understand if I have department head recommendations checked that it should auto slot, I would've understood that in the previous version of the DOFF UI, but it is TRIBBLE if I have to go in and manually change them. It's a waste of time.

For instance let's take something simple, the Risa event. If I'm raising a bird I'm gonna slot the purple doff with the most critical traits. The current system would just place my green biologist instead of my purple astrometrics officer with peaceful. Once that bird is tufted though, it would still place the green biologists, but I want to throw any random white science doff on there because critical is no longer an issue. You should never add steps.

tk79 wrote: »
    Seeing those comparison screens I already miss the old DOFF interface greatly.

It may sound like a minor thing but... the pie. The pie! It was the perfect chart for this. Why was it changed?! Bar charts are not adequate for this because they don't tell at quick glance that the numbers are part of a percentage.

At this point, it's just wishful thinking, knowing Cryptic, but I wish the old interface could be just tweaked around and not completely overhauled into something less practical.

The pie was perfect. Everything is better with pie. The bar graph is great for ship power levels, but when showing the percentage of chance nothing can compare with the simple visual efficiency of the pie chart.
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • illcadiaillcadia Member Posts: 1,412 Bug Hunter
    edited July 2014
    And the option to filter the list by department, rarity, traits, specialty, etc., with the old Filters menus, are still missing. Instead, every single doff is simply listed in a giant jumbled mess without the slightest semblance of order or grouping, making it impossible to find anything.

Sounds like it's working as intended to me.
  • taya4svktaya4svk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Its maddening how negatively people comment on the new doff UI since they put it on tribble, and they sure as hell are still gonna put it live.

Please let us choose which interface to use..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    taya4svk wrote: »
    Its maddening how negatively people comment on the new doff UI since they put it on tribble, and they sure as hell are still gonna put it live.

Please let us choose which interface to use..

"Maddening", yes. I've pretty much given up. If I end up not logging in because of this atrocity, it's none of my fault, I expressed my concern right here, from the start: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=17565631#post17565631

As have other players, even creating this thread (clearly no dev or CM even thought about it): http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1147711

All I can do is keep hope someone responsible at Cryptic (don't laugh, there must be someone, please?) realises the mistake and manages to A) keep current Doff UI (seriously I don't see how it'd harm crafting; or B) postpone the change and implement many needed fixes. Keep hope yet expect nothing.
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • elvnswordselvnswords Member Posts: 184 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    As have other players, even creating this thread (clearly no dev or CM even thought about it): http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh....php?t=1147711

I am quoting for truth, please make sure someone on the GUI Interface and Art team sees this thread, it is very detailed, and gives a good idea where the TRIBBLE up is for those of us who spend a large chunk of time DOffing.
  • canis36canis36 Member Posts: 737 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Not sure if it's a result of this patch or a previous one, but my Tribble test character seems to have had his inventory broken somehow. More than half (probably closer to 3/4) of my inventory is empty, but trying to pick up loot it gives me the "Inventory is full" message and I cannot manually move items into the empty space regardless of where I'm moving them from.

EDIT:

N/M. It appears to be a bunch of invisible items, probably the invisible Aegis piece bug that I've seen commented on around here.
  • sharpie65sharpie65 Member Posts: 679 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    To all of those folks who have a problem with physically having to do something i.e. ACTUALLY LOOK for DOffs (Oh, the horror! I have to do something for myself, because the interface won't do it for me!), I say this:
    DEAL WITH IT! We've all gotten far too complacent by expecting the interface to select the DOffs most optimized for success (as is currently on Holodeck) that we dislike having to look for ourselves which DOffs we want to use for the assignment.

Rant over, goodnight.
    MXeSfqV.jpg
  • tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    sharpie65 wrote: »
    To all of those folks who have a problem with physically having to do something i.e. ACTUALLY LOOK for DOffs (Oh, the horror! I have to do something for myself, because the interface won't do it for me!), I say this:
    DEAL WITH IT! We've all gotten far too complacent by expecting the interface to select the DOffs most optimized for success (as is currently on Holodeck) that we dislike having to look for ourselves which DOffs we want to use for the assignment.

Rant over, goodnight.

Yeah because looking over 400 doffs for one is just a great thing to do all the time.......... what putrid pit of the galaxy breeds this folks? :rolleyes:
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • adjudicatorhawkadjudicatorhawk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    ziktofel wrote: »
    Now with the auto-select doffs imagine that you're at support somecluste colonization efforts. The AI always optimizes for success but player wants there max critical chance (to obtain purple doff).

Another location is starbase with reports trading CXP to fleet marks where player wants optimize for critical too (and AI pick is especially bad when assignment can have only critical/success, ie there's no fail)

It optimizes for critical chance now, instead of for success chance.
    Jeff "Adjudicator Hawk" Hamilton
    Systems Designer - Cryptic Studios
    Twitter: @JeffAHamilton
  • bareelbareel Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited July 2014

Which is great for some missions. Not so great for others as it will now tank/ignore your success chance last I checked.

Six in one, half a dozen in the other I suppose.

The UI is still a terrible step backward. Still no sorting options, still well all the problems have already been listed by others. Several times. I beg you to just keep the old UI.
  • frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    edited July 2014

While it is good that you are trying to improve the automated suggestions, it doesn't obviate the need for filters.
    • Sometimes, we want to maximize the chance of critical success.
    • Sometimes, we want to maximize the sum of the chances of critical success and success, or in other words, minimize the sum of the chances of failure and disaster.
    • Sometimes, we don't want to use the recommended doffs, because we frequently use them in other assignments. Someone else mentioned security officers as an example of this.
    • Sometimes, an assignment consumes doffs, and we don't want to throw away our nice purple doffs.

Automated recommendations should supplement, but not replace, manual filtering.
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
  • reximuzreximuz Member Posts: 1,168 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I jumped on tribble just to look at the UI, and while I mostly like it, I am going to say that not being bale to filter the DOFF list should you want to make your own adjustments just doesn't seem like that great of an idea.

I also noticed that unlike the Live UI, that the type of DOFF isn't lighting up when there is a match (The system picked a trader, with Cunning and Unscrupulous, and those are lit green on the DOFF info line, but Trader is not lit.
  • taya4svktaya4svk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    tpalelena wrote: »
    Yeah because looking over 400 doffs for one is just a great thing to do all the time.......... what putrid pit of the galaxy breeds this folks? :rolleyes:

Well, we look for the doffs now, dont we? I am fine with that. 400 doffs, not all purple, can filter them, so its fine.
    What I dont like is the interface. Its bulky, not clear at first sight what assignments I got there. I really prefer the list in current UI - name, rarity and time. And more if you click on it. Sure many doffers, that do it a lot, know most requirements anyway and they carry stuff in bank for what they need.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ziktofelziktofel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    frtoaster wrote: »
    While it is good that you are trying to improve the automated suggestions, it doesn't obviate the need for filters.
    • Sometimes, we want to maximize the chance of critical success.
    • Sometimes, we want to maximize the sum of the chances of critical success and success, or in other words, minimize the sum of the chances of failure and disaster.
    • Sometimes, we don't want to use the recommended doffs, because we frequently use them in other assignments. Someone else mentioned security officers as an example of this.
    • Sometimes, an assignment consumes doffs, and we don't want to throw away our nice purple doffs.

So, the old UI with two buttons added (Fill for Critical, Fill for success) with functions mentioned above should do the trick. Those buttons will slot doffs and player could review that until confirming (or do the adjustements).

Another worthy thing would be giving the requirements & rewards from new UI to old UI buttons (as they have empty space) but replace nothing in the old UI.

http://postimg.org/image/u5vz9qliv/
    http://postimg.org/image/mbqsaloc7/
  • suavekssuaveks Member Posts: 1,736 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    frtoaster wrote: »
    You can still assign doffs manually. It's just that now instead of blank slots you've got them already assigned.
    For me personally this is the best thing about S9,5. It'll save me a lot of time. Pitty it seems to be the only good thing. Well, aside from the new KDF uniforms perhaps.
    PyKDqad.jpg
  • toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    suaveks wrote: »
    You can still assign doffs manually. It's just that now instead of blank slots you've got them already assigned.

Technically,'you can' indeed. But you have to go through hundreds of doffs without any ability to sort them. So in practice, no, you can't slot doffs manually because it takes long minutes for one assignement.

And as explained by frtoaster, we always slot appropriate doffs depending on the assignement. I like to keep a number of doffs free for a handful assignements while they are also recommended for others, of course I don't want to send purple doffs on exchanges etc.
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • adwynythadwynyth Member Posts: 369 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    bareel wrote: »
    The UI is still a terrible step backward. Still no sorting options, still well all the problems have already been listed by others. Several times. I beg you to just keep the old UI.
    This. We need our sorting options when we override the auto-choices, however it's easiest to give them back to us.

Grafting the old UI on the new one, duplicating its options, or just going back to the old UI...whatever.

If it launches without the sorting options, the screams will be deafening, and in all likelihood, anything based on the doff system will simply be ignored by many, including the new crafting.
    edited July 2014
    suaveks wrote: »

For me personally this is the best thing about S9,5. It'll save me a lot of time. Pitty it seems to be the only good thing. Well, aside from the new KDF uniforms perhaps.

But it'd take you eons to re-slot automatically slotted doff for an another one for the whole assignment thus a proper micromanagment of doffs will be more time consuming because of terribly designed UI for that.
  • welcome2earfwelcome2earf Member Posts: 1,746 Arc User
    edited July 2014

Can anyone say with a straight face that the new UI is an 'improvement'? Not only is it aesthetically unappealing, you can no longer click on an assignment and get a complete rundown of it quickly. You can argue that the new UI shows what you need for the assignment and what you get from it, but to bloat the assignment bars up to the crazy size they are now is not worth it. I can see 8 assignments on the old UI without scrolling, on the new UI I can only see 5. Please scrap this and start over!

I have been silent on this issue but I can't any longer.

The current state of the new Doffing UI...is TRIBBLE.

And not because it's "new" and "different", it's because it seems by design intended to keep you in-game longer by increasing clicks. Its a HUGE functionality and QoL nerf.

Like the poster showed with his side-by-side: how can ANYONE say the new UI is superior in functionality?
    T93uSC8.jpg
  • cookiecrookcookiecrook Member Posts: 4,524 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I have been silent on this issue but I can't any longer.

The current state of the new Doffing UI...is TRIBBLE.

And not because it's "new" and "different", it's because it seems by design intended to keep you in-game longer by increasing clicks. Its a HUGE functionality and QoL nerf.

Like the poster showed with his side-by-side: how can ANYONE say the new UI is superior in functionality?

I definitely agree but that isn't the feedback they care about. The only things they tend to look at are people kissing their butts and agreeing with whatever they say. It's honestly hard to give constructive feedback when you know it will completely go ignored.
    <
    > <
    > <
    >
    Looking for a new fleet? Drop by the in-game chat channel, "tenforwardforum", and say hi to the members of A Fleet Called Ten Forward (Fed) and The Orion Pirates (KDF). If you already have a fleet you are happy with, please feel free to drop by our chat channel if you are looking for a friendly bunch of helpful people to socialize with.
  • hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I LOVE THE NEW DOFF UI!!! You have done a fantastic job Cryptic! I applaud you for your efforts!

Okay, now that I have your attention, I actually don't like it and don't consider it an improvement over the predecessor. Like many have already said, this is a pointless change and it has received nothing but negative feedback from players. Feedback you continue to ignore...again.

Get it through your thick skulls. Stop fixing what ain't broke.
  • agentexeideragentexeider Member Posts: 180 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    @Cryptic

Use the old style Doff interface, for the love of god and all that is holy, I swear if you release the new style doff system, then claim the "community didn't make you aware of how much they hated it."

I will link back to this post and call you liars. There is nothing wrong with the current Doff interface,

IT DOES NOT NEED TO BE IMPROVED, it's fine the way it is, don't fix something that is not broken, don't change it just because you want to justify your jobs or to create busy work to justify a full a update.

seriously, it's not necessary or worth it.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Was it just an oversight or did you really mean to eliminate Lock Boxes and more importantly most of the Advanced Fighters / Shuttles, etc. From the Dilithium Store?
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • architect13architect13 Member Posts: 1,076 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    @Cryptic

Use the old style Doff interface, for the love of god and all that is holy, I swear if you release the new style doff system, then claim the "community didn't make you aware of how much they hated it."

I will link back to this post and call you liars. There is nothing wrong with the current Doff interface,

IT DOES NOT NEED TO BE IMPROVED, it's fine the way it is, don't fix something that is not broken, don't change it just because you want to justify your jobs or to create busy work to justify a full a update.

seriously, it's not necessary or worth it.

Just tried it out . . . please tell me this is not going live next week. PLEASE.
    Have you tried the new forum on your phone?
  • captainbaileycaptainbailey Member Posts: 356 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    what happened to the good old "enable first officer recommendations" where the UI would suggest in a list the doffs it "thinks" we should use then we, the players, could decide what doffs to choose ourselves????

WHY would you get RID OF SUCH A GLORIOUS AND GREAT FUNCTION.
  • stevencherylstevencheryl Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2014

Nope.
    And since things are seldom scrapped, how about a "classic look" checkbox?
    Unless ofcourse doffing has been hurting the game in some way...
    Steve@SCCreations - Fleet General - Persistent Officer Title & Accolade
    Deceiver's Lair Fleet
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2014
    As is the modern trend nowadays if someone want's to make a visible chance, let's redesign the UI to make it crappy.
  • precharprechar Member Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    The Doff system was what kept me logging in daily in its current state if it goes Live (Which we all know it will!!) it will stop me from wanting to log in.

Think its time for me to have a Summer break from STO I may come back after a few months when CRYPTIC see that this Money spinner Grind has failed and only the Hardcore 2% of players have a Crafting skill of 15 or above and decide to bring it in line with what we have been calling for for weeks now.

I believe the idea of a Crafting revamp was well meant but once the PWE Money grubbers got hold of it it went down hill fast their ideas of how to make the system "Pay" Will / Have pushed the customer too far this time in My case at the very least I do not presume to talk for anyone else.
    It's your world Boss I'm just a squirrel trying to get a nut!