test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Transphasic build or Photon Build

lowy1lowy1 Member Posts: 964 Arc User
Does the Dyson Set, new console, and Adapted MACO, make up for the Breen 2 piece and the additional Transphasic Tac Console with RR Transphasic Torps and Breen Cluster in the rear?
HzLLhLB.gif

Post edited by lowy1 on

Comments

• Options
    shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    lowy1 wrote: »
    Does the Dyson Set, new console, and Adapted MACO, make up for the Breen 2 piece and the additional Transphasic Tac Console with RR Transphasic Torps and Breen Cluster in the rear?

IMO yes, photons dps outweighs the slight shield bypass, and weaker dps ratings of transphasics.
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• Options
    catliketypingcatliketyping Member Posts: 611
    edited May 2014
    On my Fleet Norgh BoP, i use: KHG 2-piece (your adapted MACO), full Dyson weapons (gravimetric torpedo, experimental proton gun, dyson rep console), at least 2 piece Undine rep weapon set ( minimally the bio torpedo and the tac console), plus 2 disruptor consoles.

I know i see others do something similar in the Undine space.

The Undine set practically begs you to run photon-type torpedos, phaser or disruptors, plus at least some part of the dyson rep set, IMO. If you can slot a TS2, it is enough to vaporize stuff. The breen cluster only has the advantage of not requiring a buff... but there isnt much other synergy.

If i used pure torpedos (and i do), the transphasic seems better, though.
    Nessia (KDF Sci)
    IKS Korrasami (Fleet B'rel Bird of Prey Retrofit T5-U)
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    On my Fleet Norgh BoP, i use: KHG 2-piece (your adapted MACO), full Dyson weapons (gravimetric torpedo, experimental proton gun, dyson rep console), at least 2 piece Undine rep weapon set ( minimally the bio torpedo and the tac console), plus 2 disruptor consoles.

I know i see others do something similar in the Undine space.

The Undine set practically begs you to run photon-type torpedos, phaser or disruptors, plus at least some part of the dyson rep set, IMO. If you can slot a TS2, it is enough to vaporize stuff. The breen cluster only has the advantage of not requiring a buff... but there isnt much other synergy.

If i used pure torpedos (and i do), the transphasic seems better, though.

Your weapons loadout is pretty much how my fed is, solid disruptors with grav torps, and bio torps galore.

I enjoy seeing two or more massive kinetic crits back to back when hulls become exposed, and the constant slow + radiation damage along with grav torps pulling.

• Options
    emperordeslokemperordeslok Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I've used both types of torps, especially with kinetic shearing now transphasic has the potential to just be mean(it's effect is based on damage to hull so transphasics 40% extra bleed gets it a lot more punch) for PVE? photons rock, high rate of fire plus the sets make them awesome, for PVP? you'll be slamming against shields most of the time take the bleed from the transphasic
  • Options
    nobletnoblet Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    IMO yes, photons dps outweighs the slight shield bypass, and weaker dps ratings of transphasics.

It also reaches global cd with just 2 torps, severely limiting your total dps. Transphasic cluster torp drop transphasic mines, which has 80% shield penetration, does high spike, and all crit at the same time (all or none crit + all or none proc on reputation effect). No one use regular transphasics for torp boats, only rapid reload transphasics for triggering doff, plus clusters for the killing blow.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    I've used both types of torps, especially with kinetic shearing now transphasic has the potential to just be mean(it's effect is based on damage to hull so transphasics 40% extra bleed gets it a lot more punch) for PVE? photons rock, high rate of fire plus the sets make them awesome, for PVP? you'll be slamming against shields most of the time take the bleed from the transphasic

Kinetic shearing automatically negates shields, and applies direct hull dots.
    noblet wrote: »
    It also reaches global cd with just 2 torps, severely limiting your total dps. Transphasic cluster torp drop transphasic mines, which has 80% shield penetration, does high spike, and all crit at the same time (all or none crit + all or none proc on reputation effect). No one use regular transphasics for torp boats, only rapid reload transphasics for triggering doff, plus clusters for the killing blow.

I use projectile doff's to aid in cd for photons, there is plenty of times where I have a steady non stop spewing, of photon torpedoes for and aft.

Almost as bad as the hyper plasma, as I can start my run at 10km, and by the time I hit within 1-2km 5-8 photon torpedoes are already salvoed.

• Options
    emperordeslokemperordeslok Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Kinetic shearing automatically negates shields, and applies direct hull dots.

Unless they changed it's function it's only based on the damage taken(what bleeds through) so against a shielded target it will apply a much higher dot with a transphasic torpedo than it would with a photon or quantum since it'll be based on 45-50% of the torpedoes damage instead of 5-10%
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Unless they changed it's function it's only based on the damage taken(what bleeds through) so against a shielded target it will apply a much higher dot with a transphasic torpedo than it would with a photon or quantum since it'll be based on 45-50% of the torpedoes damage instead of 5-10%

Omega Kinetic Shearing causes all of your Mine and Torpedo attacks to deal 40% extra damage over a 6 second period.
    This DoT is based off the damage that reaches the target's hull from the initial impact.
    Damage dealt to shields is not used in the calculation.
    The DoT from Omega Kinetic Shearing deals 100% Shield Penetrating Kinetic damage.
    The DoT from Omega Kinetic Shearing can stack up to 3 times from any given user.
    Each DoT's value will be calculated based on the projectile that triggered it.
    The DoT from Omega Kinetic Shearing is counted both as a Hazard and as a Science-type debuff.

Granted the chances work better for the transphasic, but the additional dps rating along with the potential damage, of grav well and radiation from rep torpedoes IMO would still offer up more.

I myself commonly deal an additional 4k per torpedo in hazardous damage alone, this spells an additional 12k for the 3sec. an enemy is stuck in a grav torpedo, and 4k for each bio torpedo inflicting incubation.

• Options
    nobletnoblet Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I use projectile doff's to aid in cd for photons, there is plenty of times where I have a steady non stop spewing, of photon torpedoes for and aft.

Exactly. Photons are low dmg high rof torps. You're hitting global of 1 sec plus activation of 0.5 sec channeling hard wall in just 2 torps, producing a stream of low dmg projectiles, one per 1.5 sec, for low total dps. Higher dmg lower rof torps would hit same hard wall with 4-5 torps, producing a stream of high dmg projectiles, one per 1.5 sec, for high total dps. Your torp skills will also be less effective with low dmg high rof torps.
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    2pc KHG: +25% strength boost
    3x ATVx: +31.9% strength boost each, +95.7%
    Multi-Relay: +26.2% strength boost
    2pc Protonic: +22.9% strength boost, +3% CrtH
    3pc Protonic: +10% CrtH w/ Photons, +10% CrtD

169.8% strength boost, +13% CrtH, +10% CrtD

2pc Breen: +32.5% strength boost
    4x ATVx: +31.9% strength boost each, +127.6%
    2pc Protonic: +3% CrtH
    3pc Protonic: +10% CrtD

160.1% strength boost, +3% CrtH, +10% CrtD, +1.6% CrtH or +8% CrtD based on the 4th ATVx

Trans have 978 base damage.
    Photons have 1352 base damage.

Trans have an 8-10s base recharge.
    Photons have a 6-8s base recharge.

You can run Photons without PWO DOFFs.

Trans have 46% bleed vs. non-resilient shields and 43% bleed vs. resilient shields.
    Photons have 10% bleed vs. non-resilient shields and 5% bleed vs. resilient shields.
  • Options
    scurry5scurry5 Member Posts: 1,554 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Hmm....IIRC, the Gravimetric and Biomolecular photons have slihtly longer cooldowns than the standards. Biomoleculars appear to have good potential for slowing a target if you have a lot of them.
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    scurry5 wrote: »
    Hmm....IIRC, the Gravimetric and Biomolecular photons have slihtly longer cooldowns than the standards. Biomoleculars appear to have good potential for slowing a target if you have a lot of them.

Grav is 8s, E-Bio is 6s, Bio is 7s.
  • Options
    coolheadalcoolheadal Member Posts: 1,253 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Think of this way you want the targets chasing you to be gone off your tail. In front of you would like those targets taken care also. Everyone going to use whatever they like. The main concern is to watch your shields and make sure they don't drop at all. Hull should have the base armor plates on them you can get. Level 12 or better. Shields Boost you should have a good set in your console trays from your officers. I use a secret weapon, if you see the target go white then that's me! Just to get a good clear shot and lock on to it.

That new console for the tech for the Undine from ST mission in 9. Still not seeing what effect it does to have it installed or not. I use those slots for weapon increase in power. I use to use the mines but no more I don't think the delay to fire them is enough. Make sure whatever you use can't get fired on that's important.

On the other smaller ship I use what auto launchers plasma highest level I can get 11 or 12. I don't use cannons I don't think they're so effective on the Undine. Voth is another story. That red matter with the black veins web, that one is nasty. I have to quickly stear away from it. Can drain the shields down some.

Voth shot me with some sort of weapon, but my sheild stood that blast, don't think I could have make it through another one even though the shields had dropped to 74%. I had to get it back up to 100% plus take out the pest which gone poof!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Time will only tell!
  • Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    The Grav Torp still breaks the rules though.

The trusty method of Grav Well + Torp Spread + Grav Torp still works very well, including the Undine though maybe 1-2 of them may try to escape. When the Rifts occur in Torp Spread, you don't care about shields at all, and can watch as a whole wing of NPC ships get wiped out before you even fired any energy weapons. You don't care about DOTs, % damage bypassing shields. The rifts rip the ships apart, they blow up in sequence, destroying other nearby ships, and the chain continues; end of story.

I've had Sci Ships built around Grav Well with Torp Spread 2 or 3, no Attack Patterns, and clear whole NPC groups out in just over a handful of seconds. Having high Particle Generators Skill helps.

Now, PVP however, that's a whole different thing and the Grav Torp isn't godly as it is in PVP, unless you're damn sure you can pin someone in place real good. But that's easier said than done.

However, I haven't used these 8472 rep torpedoes very much at all. I need to play around and see what they can do. I do find it interesting that as Photons and can be fired in an invulnerable way, offer a significant DOT rivaling Plasma Torps. It makes Plasma Torps obsolete and you don't have to worry about your whole stream of torps evaporating when someone farts in the same galaxy.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Exactly. Photons are low dmg high rof torps. You're hitting global of 1 sec plus activation of 0.5 sec channeling hard wall in just 2 torps, producing a stream of low dmg projectiles, one per 1.5 sec, for low total dps. Higher dmg lower rof torps would hit same hard wall with 4-5 torps, producing a stream of high dmg projectiles, one per 1.5 sec, for high total dps. Your torp skills will also be less effective with low dmg high rof torps.

The base damage and dps rating of a photon torpedo, is much higher than any standard transphasic torpedo launcher.

• Options
    edited May 2014
    2pc KHG: +25% strength boost
    3x ATVx: +31.9% strength boost each, +95.7%
    Multi-Relay: +26.2% strength boost
    2pc Protonic: +22.9% strength boost, +3% CrtH
    3pc Protonic: +10% CrtH w/ Photons, +10% CrtD

169.8% strength boost, +13% CrtH, +10% CrtD

2pc Breen: +32.5% strength boost
    4x ATVx: +31.9% strength boost each, +127.6%
    2pc Protonic: +3% CrtH
    3pc Protonic: +10% CrtD

160.1% strength boost, +3% CrtH, +10% CrtD, +1.6% CrtH or +8% CrtD based on the 4th ATVx

Trans have 978 base damage.
    Photons have 1352 base damage.

Trans have an 8-10s base recharge.
    Photons have a 6-8s base recharge.

You can run Photons without PWO DOFFs.

Trans have 46% bleed vs. non-resilient shields and 43% bleed vs. resilient shields.
    Photons have 10% bleed vs. non-resilient shields and 5% bleed vs. resilient shields.

I will give you the bleed is probably more reliable in pvp, but pve the quick destruction of npc shields, and the added benefit of hazard + slow, and quicker recharge of the grav, and bio torps pan out better.

Enemy npc's find themselves slowed dramatically by the bio torps, and than stuck unable to leave the grav torpedoes 3 sec grav well, all while suffering instant shield bypassing hazard + kinetic damage, that can be boosted by captain skills, and gear.

And I only run one VR PWO doff.

• Options
    gerwalk0769gerwalk0769 Member Posts: 1,095 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    lowy1 wrote: »

I'm not sure if it makes up for the Breen Set.

I can only speak to my experiences running a Grav Torp, Experimental Proton Weapon, and Experimental and Bio-Molecular Fleet Luna class (a Sci in a Sci ship) torpedo boat. I'll probably run and tweak it until I finish the reputation.

Fore: Grav Torp, the Enhanced Bio-Molecular Photon Torpedo Launcher and a rep. box MXII Purple Bio-Molecular Torpedo.

Aft: Experimental Proton Weapon, and two rep. box MXII Purple Bio-Molecular Torpedoes.

I'm using two Fleet Photon Torp. Tact consoles, and older +30% Photon Tact. console, and the Nukara, Borg, Voth/Dyson, Romulan, Undine consoles. I'm also using an Adapted MACO two piece and the Sheering passive.

Regarding changes to a target's speed: I'm not seeing anything very noticeable with the exception of BoP's movement in CSE after being hit. More testing in non-Undine Battle Zones is required.

Regarding damage: Damage has been erratic, more erratic than I am used to seeing. Most times I kill by death by 1000 cuts (via bleed through, radiation and DOT sheer damage, and I have 1 to 3 torpedo shotted Nicors in the UBZ) interrupted by occasional spike damages from HYII, TS1 or a single torpedo. Unfortunately my HY Enh. Bio-Mole. attack damage varies. The flash is always impressive but the damage is not.

In my experience with this build so far the Grav Torp has done very well, the Enhanced Bio-Molecular Torpedo has done less so. The new Borg Transphasic looks interesting and you could include that in your build.

Let me add that I certainly appreciate additional shield bypassing torpedoes.
    Joined STO in September 2010.
  • Options
    pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,177 Arc User
    edited May 2014

That's not true anymore. Photons are now with the right gear the highest DPS torp, highest raw damage torp. For the first time in years I stoped using Q torps as Photons out damage them at high end.
  • Options
    edited May 2014

I can only speak to my experiences running a Grav Torp, Experimental Proton Weapon, and Experimental and Bio-Molecular Fleet Luna class (a Sci in a Sci ship) torpedo boat. I'll probably run and tweak it until I finish the reputation.

Fore: Grav Torp, the Enhanced Bio-Molecular Photon Torpedo Launcher and a rep. box MXII Purple Bio-Molecular Torpedo.

Aft: Experimental Proton Weapon, and two rep. box MXII Purple Bio-Molecular Torpedoes.

I'm using two Fleet Photon Torp. Tact consoles, and older +30% Photon Tact. console, and the Nukara, Borg, Voth/Dyson, Romulan, Undine consoles. I'm also using an Adapted MACO two piece and the Sheering passive.

Regarding changes to a target's speed: I'm not seeing anything very noticeable with the exception of BoP's movement in CSE after being hit. More testing in non-Undine Battle Zones is required.

Regarding damage: Damage has been erratic, more erratic than I am used to seeing. Most times I kill by death by 1000 cuts (via bleed through, radiation and DOT sheer damage, and I have 1 to 3 torpedo shotted Nicors in the UBZ) interrupted by occasional spike damages from HYII, TS1 or a single torpedo. Unfortunately my HY Enh. Bio-Mole. attack damage varies. The flash is always impressive but the damage is not.

In my experience with this build so far the Grav Torp has done very well, the Enhanced Bio-Molecular Torpedo has done less so. The new Borg Transphasic looks interesting and you could include that in your build.

The issue with transphasics, is they offer nothing outside of the extra 40% shield bleedthru.

Combined with their slower recharge timers, you need invest more into PWO doffs, to get them to respectable salvo times.

Even though, I allow for my photon torpedoes to collide with shield facings, they may not do much for damage against a shield, but when it goes down, I have a string of photon torpedoes already in line to hit bare hull.

• Options
    gerwalk0769gerwalk0769 Member Posts: 1,095 Arc User
    edited May 2014

I'm testing the DSD now with fleet flow caps, the Dyson and the +torp/+radiation damage Tact consoles. The Secondary Deflector and flow caps are boosting my BOFF abilities and allowing me to weaken, and sometimes drop, the shields earlier leading to quicker kills from the photons.
    Joined STO in September 2010.