What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

S9: Graphic max settings now making my GPU/CPU struggle

Comments

• Options
    ufpterrellufpterrell Member Posts: 736 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I'm getting hit with FPS issues as well. I know my system isn't the best around, but it coped pretty well on maximum settings but when I get involved with groups it gets pretty bad. The undine battle zone and ground zones my FPS drops off a cliff when combat is going on. I forced the particles to be done by CPU to take the edge off my GPU and it made it a little better (my CPU is OC'd to 4.2ghz). I haven't tried switching modes to DX9 from 11 but it seems weird that it would be better (I'm running a DX11 card after all).

There must be a bug somewhere in the way the engine renders something as it's playing havoc with my system.
    Terrell.png

Looking for a dedicated Star Trek community? Visit www.ufplanets.com for details.
  • Options
    timmeh8472timmeh8472 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    They really need to fix the low graphics issue. I just won't play until they do...
  • Options
    edgecrysgeredgecrysger Member Posts: 2,740 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Im thinking on stop playing as well. I checked my gpu temperature and it is higher 10 degree than before S9. Its obvious that the game engine is even forcing more the gpu for some strange reason. And i am not willing to lose my gpu at this rate..

So its probably that if you guys suffer from really weird issues with your graphic cards, like alarms of heat and something like that, its caused by the game.. i also checked other games (BF4, Tomb Raider, Batman, ME3, Lost planet 3, havo, etc) and it only happens playing STO.

I hope they fix it in a couple of weeks (yea i know, we need a miracle) or, i dunno, some of us will need to make the ultimate sacrifice and say bye bye to STO.
  • Options
    aureleusaureleus Member Posts: 175 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Im thinking on stop playing as well. I checked my gpu temperature and it is higher 10 degree than before S9. Its obvious that the game engine is even forcing more the gpu for some strange reason. And i am not willing to lose my gpu at this rate..

So its probably that if you guys suffer from really weird issues with your graphic cards, like alarms of heat and something like that, its caused by the game.. i also checked other games (BF4, Tomb Raider, Batman, ME3, Lost planet 3, havo, etc) and it only happens playing STO.

I hope they fix it in a couple of weeks (yea i know, we need a miracle) or, i dunno, some of us will need to make the ultimate sacrifice and say bye bye to STO.

Try this, its something that I use and have since I started playing STO way back in 2012.

-maxfps # <---- Relates to your target FPS.

When you start your STO "Launcher" goto the Options Tab at the top. Then scroll all the way to the bottom until you see an area to enter the command, labeled as *Command Line*.

What this command does is force your GPU to Only attempt to Stay at that target FPS that you set weather its 50 or even 100 FPS *50 to 60 is usually the best IMHO*. This prevents the card from being at 99% load all the time because its trying to get as high of FPS as possible. In my case I average from 30% to 80%, sometimes 90% or so depending on whats going on atm.

This also helps with Heat build up, I average between 30c to around 45c, depending on room temps. Mind you my card runs the fan at 90% *I actually can't even hear it at 100% :D*, so keep that in mind. Also having Very good airflow in your case is a good idea :P.

Hope this helps some ppl out :D.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    I can tell you that my aircase is really aerodynamic lol. It is a gamer aircase, with 6 big fans in the inside, and no problems about the air flow. The temperature never raises more than 40-45c (logically, playing a game it raises a little more but this is normal in any videocard), but now, playing STO after S9, the temperature raises about 65c when before it never went past about 50-55c. I cant imagine in the summer station how the temperature will be.

My fps are limited to 60, because of the vsync.

But i will try that command just in case, thanks for the tip.
  • Options
    th3xr34p3rth3xr34p3r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    80-85°C on full load is normal, just adjust your fan curve depending on ambient temps.
    [SIGPIC]Click to visit Subspace-Radio[/SIGPIC]
    Twitter | Blog | Original Join Date: Dec 2007 | Gaming Setup | Raptr Profile | Gamer DNA
    The opinions expressed in my posts are my own views and do not reflect on any other entity(s) or person(s) I may or may not represent at the time.
  • Options
    acheronbladeacheronblade Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    So has there been an "official" word on the FPS problem? ( It's Just as bad on all three of the computers Ive played on so far ) Getting a bit worried, this is how its going to be from now on.
    PRWDS5g.jpg
  • Options
    aureleusaureleus Member Posts: 175 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    th3xr34p3r wrote: »
    80-85°C on full load is normal, just adjust your fan curve depending on ambient temps.

Even at full load I won't see 80-85c o.O *That's a Good Thing lol*, Unless those are Your temps ? If that's the case, I'd suggest looking into some better cooling >.>, cause even a 290 or 290X with some of the aftermarket coolers run cooler then that at load O.O'. An those cards are notorious for running hot lols. I have yet to see my 270X get to 55c at full load, even playing BF4 on ultra at 1080p :D.
  • Options
    john98837john98837 Member Posts: 761 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    So has there been an "official" word on the FPS problem? ( It's Just as bad on all three of the computers Ive played on so far ) Getting a bit worried, this is how its going to be from now on.

No this is one of those issues that drives people to quit the game while the devs sit back and ignore it.
  • Options
    ussprometheus79ussprometheus79 Member Posts: 727 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    What John said, I'm beginning to wonder. :(

Either that or they don't want to add it to the known notes section of patches because they don't know how to fix it yet.
    If you've come to the forums to complain about the AFK system, it's known to be bugged at the moment.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    aureleus wrote: »
    Even at full load I won't see 80-85c o.O *That's a Good Thing lol*, Unless those are Your temps ? If that's the case, I'd suggest looking into some better cooling >.>, cause even a 290 or 290X with some of the aftermarket coolers run cooler then that at load O.O'. An those cards are notorious for running hot lols. I have yet to see my 270X get to 55c at full load, even playing BF4 on ultra at 1080p :D.

I'm on a 780 classified acx with custom fan curves I barely peak 60 on full load for gaming even with my overclock (full specs in the sig).

That TDP heat that I mentioned on full load is for stock cooling and such since cards start to clock down around 90-95 anyways.
    Twitter | Blog | Original Join Date: Dec 2007 | Gaming Setup | Raptr Profile | Gamer DNA
    The opinions expressed in my posts are my own views and do not reflect on any other entity(s) or person(s) I may or may not represent at the time.
  • Options
    edited May 2014

80-85c is not normal LOL. I recommend you to check your graphics card fans, cuz one thing is that a videocard can hold that temperature for a long time, but it doesnt mean it is normal and its probably that it is damaging the videocard. It is too high. A videocard never should pass 70-80c in full load. And that is already TOO MUCH. Its obvious that there is something wrong with your videocard, probably with the fans.

In full load, 55-65 is the normal temperature of a viceocard, more or less, the threshold will be 80-85 as i said. In summer, this number raises but it doesnt mean it is right lol. The alarm clocks of the videocards are set to 100c. That is the maximum temperature (some videocards less, others a little more) a videocard can hold. But having a videocard at 85c all the time.. well, that videocard is going to last 50% of its lifetime.

I have a direct cu II videocard, that it is supossed to have even better cooling system, and still, with STO the temperature is going up for no reason.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    john98837 wrote: »
    No this is one of those issues that drives people to quit the game while the devs sit back and ignore it.

Pretty much this.

My opinion is, cryptic is doing all of this on purpose, because they want a way to finish STO since about 1 year ago, and this way people will start quiting and in the end they will just abandond STO for good.

They cant just close the doors because there are "a lot" of customers right now. So this is their tiny strategy. They noticed people was not quiting due to ignoring all the bugs, so now they step up to bigger issues. Classic strategy of a dying game to lure out most of the players.

If someone can find another better explanation, im all hears lol.
  • Options
    redsnake721redsnake721 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I have really tried to understand why they dont fix bugs or QA test patches. Right now for the 1st time in 3 years the game is not playable to me. Constant sound issues and the game is lagging about 4 seconds behind my clicks, sometime it just freezes like a stuck dvd with the auido buzzing and cracking. I work in IT server admin for a large hospital and work on hardware everyday. I know how to troubleshoot a PC and this is not a hardware issue. Something they released in S9 is reeking havoc with Sound and graphic cards. And fixing it does not seem to be a priority. Why I cant say. In most IT shops I have worked in if something is broke and customers are upset or without service it gets fixed, fast. If we cant fix it we find or hire someone that can. One way or another the issue gets resolved. Most times in less than 48 hours. Issues that cost the compnay revenue or loose customers are a priority and are not just left to fester. So Cryptic motives. I cant fathom.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Dont waste a single cent of real money. And thats it. Thats the only step to tell cryptic that they are doing a terrible job (if it can be called "job", i dont know anymore..). But if they want the game to end, they only need to do what they are doing until now. Nothing. Oh wait, that is what they are doing... :(

I tried the option with the command "maxfps" and it made it worst lol. Using that command i get lag spikes and the temp is the same, as far as i noticed.

The only option i have is to clean the fans to see if they are dirty, but honestly i did it 3 months ago and the computer is not even 1 year old.. and wth, as i said, with other games the temp is not even more than 55c.. it is only with the crappy STO and the great season 9.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    80-85c is not normal LOL. I recommend you to check your graphics card fans, cuz one thing is that a videocard can hold that temperature for a long time, but it doesnt mean it is normal and its probably that it is damaging the videocard. It is too high. A videocard never should pass 70-80c in full load. And that is already TOO MUCH. Its obvious that there is something wrong with your videocard, probably with the fans.

In full load, 55-65 is the normal temperature of a viceocard, more or less, the threshold will be 80-85 as i said. In summer, this number raises but it doesnt mean it is right lol. The alarm clocks of the videocards are set to 100c. That is the maximum temperature (some videocards less, others a little more) a videocard can hold. But having a videocard at 85c all the time.. well, that videocard is going to last 50% of its lifetime.

I have a direct cu II videocard, that it is supossed to have even better cooling system, and still, with STO the temperature is going up for no reason.

Read my second reply. The one just above yours that you have missed in replying to me.
  • Options
    kamikazi2142kamikazi2142 Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited May 2014

Thermal design of GFX cards today allow operational temperatures up to 105C, before major damage. A gpu running at 80C is fine, anything more however and you should invest in either a new cooling method or turning up the fan speed of the GPU cooler. Most 3rd Party Manufacturers (eg: EVGA, HIS, Sapphire) design these cards with a peak optimal cooling solution, aka the cooler provided.

80C is fine, prolonged 85C you should start looking for a better cooling method, or stop overclocking or underclock the card. a video card will still function up to 110C, what is commonly misconceived is that a CPU and a GPU share the same TDP, untrue, a CPU is not as resilient as a GPU, and therefore requires a lower operating temperature 65C - 70C being danger zone for CPU, before i overclocked my CPU it would hover around 25C now with a decent volt bump and a nearly 1Ghz boost it peaks at 61C in STO.

As far as those of you experiencing the game working harder now, i recommend you try this trick that let me run with 8x AA finally at 60fps, google HPET Clock, find the thread where you can test if your windows is using it, if not, then see if you can disable it in your BIOS... i had a massive 30 to 40 FPS increase in STO after that, and now i can do 8x AA for some truly beautiful gameplay!!
    Photo Evidence:
    ZvCb3jA.png
    Sr0S3T5.png
    pd19vIo.png
    RPinlUi.png

I guess you could say, i found the secret hidden by Cryptic:
    Post Processing ON:
    TGHuxVB.png
    Post Processing OFF:
    oWwQ1ba.png

NO NONE OF THIS WAS EVER TOUCHED BY PHOTOSHOP, THAT IS HOW IT IS IN GAME.

The game just looks better with Post Processing off.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Thermal design of GFX cards today allow operational temperatures up to 105C, before major damage. A gpu running at 80C is fine, anything more however and you should invest in either a new cooling method or turning up the fan speed of the GPU cooler. Most 3rd Party Manufacturers (eg: EVGA, HIS, Sapphire) design these cards with a peak optimal cooling solution, aka the cooler provided.

80C is fine, prolonged 85C you should start looking for a better cooling method, or stop overclocking or underclock the card. a video card will still function up to 110C, what is commonly misconceived is that a CPU and a GPU share the same TDP, untrue, a CPU is not as resilient as a GPU, and therefore requires a lower operating temperature 65C - 70C being danger zone for CPU, before i overclocked my CPU it would hover around 25C now with a decent volt bump and a nearly 1Ghz boost it peaks at 61C in STO.

As far as those of you experiencing the game working harder now, i recommend you try this trick that let me run with 8x AA finally at 60fps, google HPET Clock, find the thread where you can test if your windows is using it, if not, then see if you can disable it in your BIOS... i had a massive 30 to 40 FPS increase in STO after that, and now i can do 8x AA for some truly beautiful gameplay!!
    Photo Evidence:
    ZvCb3jA.png
    Sr0S3T5.png
    pd19vIo.png
    RPinlUi.png

Post Processing ON:
    TGHuxVB.png
    Post Processing OFF:
    oWwQ1ba.png

Strange that post processing is causing that for your system, I will need to double check this on mine with sweetfx on and off (if you would like my profile please let me know I have the one from the database with some slight tweaks for my display).

As for HPET as I said in another thread depending on the application it might need it to prevent it from locking up the system so be mindful to test with how your build is setup (e.g. If you do not do benchmarking then you should be fine to leave it off.), but from my experience in testing it with: OS on + BIOS on, OS on + BIOS off, OS off + BIOS off and OS off + BIOS on it mainly helps to reduce framerate hitching in some games due to the timings (tested this in TSW a while back and iirc the second option gave me the best result).

Since I have redone my 3DMark results a few weeks ago and such I might go into my system later this week and retest all the variables for it to see how it affects my install of STO since I have not done so in a while.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    OS on + BIOS on, OS on + BIOS off, OS off + BIOS off and OS off + BIOS on it mainly helps to reduce framerate hitching in some games due to the timings (tested this in TSW a while back and iirc the second option gave me the best result).

that is incredibly strange, especially since, if the OS has the driver enabled it requires the BIOS to have it on, otherwise you will get frequent BSOD in result to the OS parsing the Hardware timer with no valid response. Truly strange you found "Best" results in that configuration, it shouldn't have even worked. I dislike it because it slows down the entire HDD read/write times.

In a "Graphics" standpoint it doesn't make sense that it would improve the performance, but my assumption is that the software wasn't forced to wait for the next cycle to read/write to disk. In a round about way of understanding HPET, it basically makes a strobe delay for disk read/write like with RAM, CAS as the main example, the "Column Access Strobe" whether read or write, it must wait that time frame to do either.

as for the Post Processing... i usually dislike using these kind of GPU intensive after effects, all it does is force the GPU to RE render all frames with a mask. I have my games with Post Processing off all the time and i achieve near real detail at half or lower performance impact, for example:
    My Skyrim: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiS4mSbe0fY&noredirect=1
    or
    My War Thunder: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_t3qVlDjIM
    or
    My Battlefield 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pi_n0hh2T8k

I don't use load doubling methods to achieve beauty.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    that is incredibly strange, especially since, if the OS has the driver enabled it requires the BIOS to have it on, otherwise you will get frequent BSOD in result to the OS parsing the Hardware timer with no valid response. Truly strange you found "Best" results in that configuration, it shouldn't have even worked. I dislike it because it slows down the entire HDD read/write times.

In a "Graphics" standpoint it doesn't make sense that it would improve the performance, but my assumption is that the software wasn't forced to wait for the next cycle to read/write to disk. In a round about way of understanding HPET, it basically makes a strobe delay for disk read/write like with RAM, CAS as the main example, the "Column Access Strobe" whether read or write, it must wait that time frame to do either.

as for the Post Processing... i usually dislike using these kind of GPU intensive after effects, all it does is force the GPU to RE render all frames with a mask. I have my games with Post Processing off all the time and i achieve near real detail at half or lower performance impact, for example:
    My Skyrim: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiS4mSbe0fY&noredirect=1
    or
    My War Thunder: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_t3qVlDjIM
    or
    My Battlefield 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pi_n0hh2T8k

I don't use load doubling methods to achieve beauty.

aye, hence why I said depending on the build, but ye like I said at the time I tested each setting as I loaded back into TSW and ran around the main area where there are lots of people watching for the hitching and any differences, granted this was on a 680 at the time after upgrading from a 580, so once I re-test (at work atm and can do so tonight/tommorow) on my 780 with beta driverset 337.50 I might get different results, as for the hard drives I have mine set to AHCI mode and CPU parking off ofc since I'm on windows 7 ult 64bit to even out the load on all cores and threads.

Prob can tell I have done a "Few" tweaks to my system in the registry on how the NIC handles game traffic to better optimize it for it and media streaming. Which if you would like the exact ones I modified and my values please let me know and I will look them up again and post them for you.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Oh doggy... i had this nice long reply all saddled up and ready to post... when suddenly Mr Computer decided to hang... ok... HPET back on, this time the only difference is, using the setting that the OS instead of using the CPU uses the HPET Timer on the Southbridge... lets see how this pans out... already seeng massive improvements in my 3DMarks, havent started up STO yet to test that out.

Please feel free to check out my community page: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/hg_mercury

Hopefully will see you in Teamspeak sometime.

I have a general idea of what i typed, so i can tell you via Teamspeak lol, honestly have no clue the half dozen paragraphs i typed up, but one thing is for certain, PLEASE DON'T TAKE ME AS A TROLL!! i know i fail epically and sounding pleasant through letters, its been something i have been plagued with for as long as i could type.
  • Options
    edited May 2014

Well, do what you want, seriously. If you thinkg having a videocard at 80c all the time is just "fine", then suit yourself. I dont think any reasonable person will think that. I tell you again, 80C is not dangerous, but it is not normal and it is not the temperature a videocard should work. Because the bigger the heat, the less long will be the life of the videocard. So, go on, and keep your card over 80c, then dont complain 5-6 months from now that you need to buy a new one.

You dont get it, i dont have any problems at all of lag or something else, i run everything with all settings maxed with no lag at all at 1080p. I have everything maxed, AA to 8x, anisotropic to 16x (actually this is not really performance breaker), The problem is, its not the same running the game with the videocard at 50-55c than doing it at 65c-70c. Its clear that something is really wrong with the game. I have a lot of experience on burning videocards, lol, and i finished with that 3-4 years ago. If a game, for a really weird reasons is making my videocard taking much heat than it should, IT IS NOT GOOD. Specially when it is the only game i have this problem with.

BTW, the hpet clock feature has NOTHING to do with this problem, i dont even know why you pop that up.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Whereas I CAN'T play.

Seriously, have tried running everything at minimum settings, and I still stutter around the screen with no idea what's actually happening. A team I was in earlier lost CSE, and it was probably because my ship was stuttering around whilst I had little idea of what was happening.

Nice one Dev's - I literally CANNOT play STO in it's current state. And therefore won't be trying.

Forced to agree.

Speedtest.net and post your results
    Pingtest.net and post your results

stuttering is indicative of extreme latency, NOT system performance, you may need to update your NIC driver, or upgrade to Cable. If you live on West Coast of the US you should NEVER see this latency as the STO servers are located in California.

The double edged sword these days that people do not realize is that if your CPU is a bit dated, then you are hurting yourself when you choose "Minimal" settings, as a lot of the tasks asked of the GPU are handed off to the CPU when you switch to "Minimal" rendering the GPU into just a relay of the CPU's progress. I recommend using Medium or just below settings, NEVER use the lowest. you can get the best performance out of STO by turning off AA.

"Stuttering" is telling me a connectivity issue, if it were your system you would experience such things as extremely reduced frame rates, use FRAPS to give a real time read out of your frame rate. Fraps is simple and easy to use, so it shouldn't be rocket science, just read everything and react accordingly. NOTE: Fraps must remain running to work, you can minimize it, but the window you cannot close, as it will close the program.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Well, do what you want, seriously. If you thinkg having a videocard at 80c all the time is just "fine", then suit yourself. I dont think any reasonable person will think that. I tell you again, 80C is not dangerous, but it is not normal and it is not the temperature a videocard should work. Because the bigger the heat, the less long will be the life of the videocard. So, go on, and keep your card over 80c, then dont complain 5-6 months from now that you need to buy a new one.

You dont get it, i dont have any problems at all of lag or something else, i run everything with all settings maxed with no lag at all at 1080p. I have everything maxed, AA to 8x, anisotropic to 16x (actually this is not really performance breaker), The problem is, its not the same running the game with the videocard at 50-55c than doing it at 65c-70c. Its clear that something is really wrong with the game. I have a lot of experience on burning videocards, lol, and i finished with that 3-4 years ago. If a game, for a really weird reasons is making my videocard taking much heat than it should, IT IS NOT GOOD. Specially when it is the only game i have this problem with.

BTW, the hpet clock feature has NOTHING to do with this problem, i dont even know why you pop that up.

just give it a try before you open that pandora's box of "wannabe high and mighty"

As for the GPU thermals issues... i must say i'm actually amazed you don't see WHY its running hotter, "Mr. Max" it should be eye glossingly obvious why the GPU is running harder than it was before, the Details of this game have been lacking an HD texture pack for years! I even Googled for HD Texture packs to replace the olive drab bland textures of the game, now they finally release this and you gripe and moan "boo hoo" get over it, the new HD Textures are beautiful! If you're worried about your GPU reaching optimal temperature range then go buy two R9 295X2's and hopefully you'll never see them break 20C with their STOCK liquid coolers and having TWO would mean you would be running a QuadFireX setup which would then only ever demand 20% of the video cards performance ability, even if they make a new Crysis game with 10 times the demand to the GPU as Crysis 2 was (Crysis 3 was a joke demand on GPU's).

What you describe to me in all those things you are doing with your fingers aka typing, is a GPU struggling to perform at the settings you demand of it, and YOU to get in a tizzy at STO for making your GPU operate well within its tolerance range by the Manufacturer... well, i don't mean to be rude but do you complain a lot about trivial things?

GPU 80C... meh
    CPU 80C JESUS CHRIST GET A FIRE EXTINGUISHER!!!
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Those of you whom are having issues with your performances in STO please take a moment and visit me directly at my Teamspeak

SpeedTest just now: 3488253968.png
    PingTest just now: 97208328.png
  • Options
    captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    edited May 2014

Photo Evidence:
    ZvCb3jA.png
    Sr0S3T5.png
    pd19vIo.png
    RPinlUi.png

Post Processing ON:
    TGHuxVB.png
    Post Processing OFF:
    oWwQ1ba.png

I just wanted to say Thank you. I turned Post Processing off and saw an immediate performance increase in CE and Starbase Fleet Defense. I've yet to try it in my main problem the Kelvani Belt, but all in all it's working out.

I noticed on my rig that it got about a shade darker.

Any tips for anti-aliasing issues?
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    captaind3 wrote: »
    I just wanted to say Thank you. I turned Post Processing off and saw an immediate performance increase in CE and Starbase Fleet Defense. I've yet to try it in my main problem the Kelvani Belt, but all in all it's working out.

I noticed on my rig that it got about a shade darker.

Any tips for anti-aliasing issues?

First LMAO to your Sig, awesome!

AA is a tricky little sucker, some games let you use the GPU adjustments to adaptively sample for AA meaning only certain spots are Anti-Aliased, where as most games would artifact and get weird with adaptive mutlisampling, STO included. Adaptive is similar to what intel is doing with Thunderbolt, dynamically throttling the GPU in accordance with demand, when the demand is low the AA will climb to 8x, when the demand is high it will throttle down to 2x but never off.

The trick with AA is to find the best setting for your GPU, most mid grade GPU's will handle 2x easily on most modern games, a couple years back i had a VisionTek 5670 1GB which handled 2x decently in STO. Then i upgraded to a HIS Radeion HD 6950 IceQ X Turbo 2GB and the new card handled 4x well... but had problems with 6x or 8x... don't even ask about Edge Detects 24x AA, idk of a card yet that can do that and still keep sync with the refresh rate of the monitor.

now on to Refresh rate...
    Some AA settings for video games can only do so much depending on the refresh rate of the display and the demanded resolution. A 1080p 60hz monitor won't function well if your game is 1024x768 at 120fps. This will induce frame slicing as the card is putting out frames faster than the monitor can refresh them. and the resolution reduction will just get a nasty distortion. and any AA rendered into that frame would be lost on the Monitor when it is displayed in fullscreen.

The ideal here is to adjust your game settings for details first, THEN beauty, the beauty being AA. Since all cards can effectively cut and stamp textures with ease, and Anisotropic Filtering is a cake walk, first set up those options with your AA OFF, force application to NOT use it by telling the GPU to disable it.

Now that you have the textures looking good, its time to decide whether or not you really need the edges re-rendered. Play the game some, i noticed that AA only affected things like the holo-displays in the shipyard areas that displayed the different ships... i never noticed much AA elsewhere, so use that to your advantage! Enable "Use Application Setting" for AA and then go into the game, change the settings one by one, DO NOT let STO fool you into thinking AA is an active change! after you change from NONE to 2x exit the game and reload it, this is necessary for the GPU to update the new setting. After trial and error you will find your butter zone. I recommend you do this in a location with a LOW population so if you accidentally load into a bad settng you can fix it with less headache. Your target frame rate in a low to non poplated area with AA intervals would be 70 to 90 FPS in LOW POPULATED zones, this will give you the lowest FPS of 30 in extreme action scenes like Federation Fleet Alert, or the Romulan Mission when you defend against the Elachi Invasion Fleet. 30 FPS is low, but it is in my opinion the lowest PLAYABLE frame rate, where you can feel the lower rate, but its still good enough to enjoy. and with this setting you'll be able to enjoy the rest of the game even more so with higher rates.

AA and STO are not the best of friends, like Post Processing it forces the GPU to work harder on EVERYTHING it had already rendered. With Post Processing AND AA, you're just going for extensive over kill for not that great of a look either. PP and AA are both actions performed after the frame has been rendered, AA happens BEFORE PP, and FXAA injection, god forbid you use that, happens after all that and basically sends the frame right back through the process it just finished.

Sometimes it looks nice, but you must weigh what you can do with what you want to see and do. Every card is different, which is why i cannot tell you exactly what to do for AA, all i can say is, find your sweet spot.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    just give it a try before you open that pandora's box of "wannabe high and mighty"

As for the GPU thermals issues... i must say i'm actually amazed you don't see WHY its running hotter, "Mr. Max" it should be eye glossingly obvious why the GPU is running harder than it was before, the Details of this game have been lacking an HD texture pack for years! I even Googled for HD Texture packs to replace the olive drab bland textures of the game, now they finally release this and you gripe and moan "boo hoo" get over it, the new HD Textures are beautiful! If you're worried about your GPU reaching optimal temperature range then go buy two R9 295X2's and hopefully you'll never see them break 20C with their STOCK liquid coolers and having TWO would mean you would be running a QuadFireX setup which would then only ever demand 20% of the video cards performance ability, even if they make a new Crysis game with 10 times the demand to the GPU as Crysis 2 was (Crysis 3 was a joke demand on GPU's).

What you describe to me in all those things you are doing with your fingers aka typing, is a GPU struggling to perform at the settings you demand of it, and YOU to get in a tizzy at STO for making your GPU operate well within its tolerance range by the Manufacturer... well, i don't mean to be rude but do you complain a lot about trivial things?

GPU 80C... meh
    CPU 80C JESUS CHRIST GET A FIRE EXTINGUISHER!!!

And some of you are just ******, i believe. IM TELLING YOU, STO is the only game i have these problems, and i tried thousands of em, most of em games of about 2 months old. Its not my videocard or my system, is the stupid game. The engine or wateve , i dont care.

New hd textures????? dude, i think you playing another completely different game. You really dont have any idea at all. LOL. Maybe cryptic replaced about 0,5 % of the textures of the game. The rest 99,5% is the same as it was before S9. The only thing they changed is the postprocessing filter. Please dude, get a little information before you say so many stupid things.

Obviously you dont have any idea about videocards, extreme temps and so on. So, i will just repeat it again. If a game that was pulling my videocard to 50-55c at max, now its pulling my videocard to 65c, ITS NOT NORMAL. Because even that, its still more temperature than any other game i try. And in the summer, we all know that number raises a lot.

And since all we know (you apparently dont) the engine of STO is pure TRIBBLE, and the UI makes the performance even worst. Dont talk me about crisis (this is not an example since eons ago, anyways, crisis is story), or watever, i tried the lastest games, my computer can run em ALL, at max settings with temperatures below 60c, ALL OF EM.

So, why the hell a game 4 years old is pushing the videocards so much????? because if you are not blind (i guess you are) you will see more post on the forums about the same performance thing. This is not performance, since the performance is not what i am complaining, but the two things are related.
    Dude, open your eyes, seriously.

80c for a constant temp in a videocard = bad, really bad. But again, suit yourself, i dont really care, lol, i just care about my own videocard.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    My CPU usage after enabling HPET on BIOS and OS in IDLE has dropped by 50%, sometimes it gets as low as 2% usage now.

YES my cores are UNPARKED
    YES my CPU is liquid cooled...

but that doesn't matter as my lowest IDLE from before this setup was 15% usage. that is 13% just used by Windows to calculate timings... can you imagine how much more it requires when you're gaming? For certain, this will affect your FPS, as the fastest part of the PC is the GPU, and it basically is waiting on the CPU for data, with the CPU putting it out faster the GPU can process it faster with less of a waiting buffer to fill to make up for the bottle neck.

oh, you may want to increase the PCIe Frequency, especially if you overclock... a volt bump to the NB would be nice too.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    First LMAO to your Sig, awesome!

AA is a tricky little sucker, some games let you use the GPU adjustments to adaptively sample for AA meaning only certain spots are Anti-Aliased, where as most games would artifact and get weird with adaptive mutlisampling, STO included. Adaptive is similar to what intel is doing with Thunderbolt, dynamically throttling the GPU in accordance with demand, when the demand is low the AA will climb to 8x, when the demand is high it will throttle down to 2x but never off.

The trick with AA is to find the best setting for your GPU, most mid grade GPU's will handle 2x easily on most modern games, a couple years back i had a VisionTek 5670 1GB which handled 2x decently in STO. Then i upgraded to a HIS Radeion HD 6950 IceQ X Turbo 2GB and the new card handled 4x well... but had problems with 6x or 8x... don't even ask about Edge Detects 24x AA, idk of a card yet that can do that and still keep sync with the refresh rate of the monitor.

now on to Refresh rate...
    Some AA settings for video games can only do so much depending on the refresh rate of the display and the demanded resolution. A 1080p 60hz monitor won't function well if your game is 1024x768 at 120fps. This will induce frame slicing as the card is putting out frames faster than the monitor can refresh them. and the resolution reduction will just get a nasty distortion. and any AA rendered into that frame would be lost on the Monitor when it is displayed in fullscreen.

The ideal here is to adjust your game settings for details first, THEN beauty, the beauty being AA. Since all cards can effectively cut and stamp textures with ease, and Anisotropic Filtering is a cake walk, first set up those options with your AA OFF, force application to NOT use it by telling the GPU to disable it.

Now that you have the textures looking good, its time to decide whether or not you really need the edges re-rendered. Play the game some, i noticed that AA only affected things like the holo-displays in the shipyard areas that displayed the different ships... i never noticed much AA elsewhere, so use that to your advantage! Enable "Use Application Setting" for AA and then go into the game, change the settings one by one, DO NOT let STO fool you into thinking AA is an active change! after you change from NONE to 2x exit the game and reload it, this is necessary for the GPU to update the new setting. After trial and error you will find your butter zone. I recommend you do this in a location with a LOW population so if you accidentally load into a bad settng you can fix it with less headache. Your target frame rate in a low to non poplated area with AA intervals would be 70 to 90 FPS in LOW POPULATED zones, this will give you the lowest FPS of 30 in extreme action scenes like Federation Fleet Alert, or the Romulan Mission when you defend against the Elachi Invasion Fleet. 30 FPS is low, but it is in my opinion the lowest PLAYABLE frame rate, where you can feel the lower rate, but its still good enough to enjoy. and with this setting you'll be able to enjoy the rest of the game even more so with higher rates.

AA and STO are not the best of friends, like Post Processing it forces the GPU to work harder on EVERYTHING it had already rendered. With Post Processing AND AA, you're just going for extensive over kill for not that great of a look either. PP and AA are both actions performed after the frame has been rendered, AA happens BEFORE PP, and FXAA injection, god forbid you use that, happens after all that and basically sends the frame right back through the process it just finished.

Sometimes it looks nice, but you must weigh what you can do with what you want to see and do. Every card is different, which is why i cannot tell you exactly what to do for AA, all i can say is, find your sweet spot.

Nice explanations, i agree.

But we need to be aware that this game has a really old engine and it is 4 years old. ANy computer with no more than 2-3 years old should be able to run the game with no problems at all. Really smoothly, and its not the case. I really think the postprocessing option improves the visual quality a lot, but cryptic just broke it, and now the postprocessing option is just a resource eater and it really produces worst results in the quality, not the opposite.

It is supossed that using DX11 you will be able to select another mode of AA, that offers more quality at lower requirements, but its useless as well, as so many other graphic options in STO. You only need to look at how horrible is the ambien oclusion implemented or the depth of field thing. Terrible.

And now, they mess up the engine and make things worst. I honeslty dont have a clue wth cryptic is doing.