Featured episodes every 2 months being considered

Comments

• centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I do not want to pay for missions. I want to pay for costumes. :D
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    f2pdrakron wrote: »
    There are engine considerations and every STO build is the same for all, sure they could separate into a pay server but then we would have population issues aggravated.

Its not by monetizing story missions they would get anywhere, they tried to put them behind a grind wall ... New Romulus remenber? How many actually play anything besides the very last one when they reach T5?

If a grindwall doesnt work then a paywall would work worst, plus a LOT of missions are played because of the reward at the end this would move Pay content rewards to be better leading to the FvP forum to start crying about it, even Lobi sets arent particular more powerful compared to other gear types in the Fleet or Reputation system.

There are avenues of monetzation that havent been explored, like housing ... its not we should look at what we have and how to force to pay for things that are free.

A paywall for mission content would work. After all, look at how successful DLCs are. Single player games no longer require having the entire game available at release. However, paywalls should be avoided. Mission content should be available to everyone not for people that pay to play.

I agree that housing would be a great source of monetization. Add customizable ship interiors and have the basic Starfleet, Klingon Empire, and Romulan Republic items available for free. Have the racial items available through the C-Store. So if you want some Vulcan art, then you have to pay for it. The more unique items like Borg items would cost more than more common items. I have a Borgified ship through the Assimilated set so it makes no sense that the interior has the pristine Starfleet look. There should be Borg Alcoves and other Borg equipment littering the halls.
  • xlocutusofborgxxlocutusofborgx Member Posts: 1,373 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    You guys, "give us missions ill put money down", I mean no disrespect here but honestly don't start saying that. They can barely fix the issues they create in the game, before throwing money at them even more, lets get them to up the quality they should be giving us. Honestly they keep claiming they staffed up which honestly I think is a lot of BS, because I haven't seen a change in anything since they have been saying that. Bugs are barely getting fixed, which do get reported and the list goes on.

Id love to see more missions coming from them, and FE's every 2 months would be nice, but I wont be holding my breath on this. There great at making lockbox's but that's as far as ill go with that other then saying the recent FE was very well done.
    borgsignaturecopy2-zpse8618517.png
    R E S I S T A N C E - I S - F U T I L E
  • zathri83zathri83 Member Posts: 514 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    PWE isn't getting any more of my money until pvp is deleted from STO. :D
  • mosquito214mosquito214 Member Posts: 138 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    This is pretty good news! Two months is still a while between new missions, but nowhere near as bad as it is now, which is once a season. I'm glad Geko seems to have changed his mind about PvE content, hopefully because of the negative opinion of the game slipping into "all grind, all the time" areas.

Seriously, things are starting to look up, a bit. The recent "Risian corvette discount" thing, if applied to all current and future event ships, hasn't been talked about much, but it effectively eliminates any complaints I have about event grind.

I'm even kind of happy about no new factions. Considering how much negativity there was over Romulans not being a "full" faction, it makes sense they wouldn't want to go through that again. Klingons are still the minority, adding a third faction would just stretch the population out even more.
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Honestly they keep claiming they staffed up which honestly I think is a lot of BS, because I haven't seen a change in anything since they have been saying that. Bugs are barely getting fixed, which do get reported and the list goes on.
    Try to focus on this thought: a little less then a year ago they added some 50 Missions to the game. Unfortunately most of them were for Romulans and KDF, but they were still added. They added a Dyson Sphere and many other types of content since then as well. So saying you have not seen a change in anything since they staffed up is blatantly wrong. They have done quite a bit since they staffed up. It might not be the things you wanted, but they have certainly added a lot to this game over the last year.

Who knows how much content this new Expansion Pack set for the end of the year might bring. If it is even close to LoR we could be looking at another 40+ Missions - hopefully usable by all 3 Factions.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    Try to focus on this thought: a little less then a year ago they added some 50 Missions to the game. Unfortunately most of them were for Romulans and KDF, but they were still added. They added a Dyson Sphere and many other types of content since then as well. So saying you have not seen a change in anything since they staffed up is blatantly wrong. They have done quite a bit since they staffed up. It might not be the things you wanted, but they have certainly added a lot to this game over the last year.

Who knows how much content this new Expansion Pack set for the end of the year might bring. If it is even close to LoR we could be looking at another 40+ Missions - hopefully usable by all 3 Factions.

I actually want a Dominion faction. With Odo voice work and Jeffery Combs as Weyoun...
    edited May 2014

It's like people don't pay attention to the things that get added to this game.

Oh wait....
    edited May 2014

Well I would hope they would of added something within 4 years, so yes they have added new content but to me at a alarming slow rate. Might just be my perspective. But for me I just haven't seen a change in progression with this so called new staff update they keep telling us. And honestly I'm not looking for anything in particular for content wise, so saying they haven't added in something that I want, well that's not true. I just in all honesty want to see a little more speed from them. Not to mention quality control. Which seemingly hasn't changed at.. all.

They still release to tribble only a few days/week or so before launch allowing constant overflow of bugs to holodeck, then afterwards it takes them months if not years to get most things fixed.. which still we report and no word on when things will get fixed. All these little things add up for me, and it just seems they really haven't staffed up at all.

New expansion? I haven't seen any word of confirmation that we are getting one anytime soon, do you have a link to this said expansion?
    It's like people don't pay attention to the things that get added to this game.

Oh wait....

Its like people don't pay attention to things they keep doing or lack of doing, oh wait let me put my head back into the sand and itll all be ok...

New OUTFIT OMG, we are getting content, no bug fixes that's ok you just get to that when you can, ill run around in a new outfit and feel awesome! yay.

;)
    edited May 2014
    New expansion? I haven't seen any word of confirmation that we are getting one anytime soon, do you have a link to this said expansion?

It's been on Dev chatter and Twitbook accounts and stuff for months now. LoR was so successful that Cryptic green-lit another expansion.
    edited May 2014
    worffan101 wrote: »
    It's been on Dev chatter and Twitbook accounts and stuff for months now. LoR was so successful that Cryptic green-lit another expansion.

Again source? Been here since it all started.. so them "talking" about doing another expansion is abit different then actually them doing one.
    edited May 2014
    Again source? Been here since it all started.. so them "talking" about doing another expansion is abit different then actually them doing one.
    It is working in the same context as LoR - they are not going to give up any major spoilers until they decide an a Launch date and can make a big deal of it; just like they did with LoR. They have been discussing the basics in Podcasts and on Twitter for months. Check out any of Geko's recent Podcasts.

Also, since the 3rd Anniversary I defy you to find any existing MMO that has added more free content to its game in the last 14 months then what STO has added.

3rd Anniversary Event, LoR, Season 8, Season 8.5, 4th Anniversary Event, and now Season 9. Break all those Seasons down and you will see that between regular Missions, replayable Rep Missions, and FEs you are looking at a lot of playable content in a short period of time. And that does not even include all of the quality of play items, like the 1-50 KDF content, the new Fed Tutorial, revamp of Fed KDF war missions, revamp of Undine missions, etc.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
    edited May 2014
    It is working in the same context as LoR - they are not going to give up any major spoilers until they decide an a Launch date. They have been discussing the basics in Podcasts and on Twitter for months. Check out any of Geko's recent Podcasts.

This^^^^^

I'm going to keep my fingers crossed for a Dominion faction...
    edited May 2014
    It is working in the same context as LoR - they are not going to give up any major spoilers until they decide an a Launch date and can make a big deal of it; just like they did with LoR. They have been discussing the basics in Podcasts and on Twitter for months. Check out any of Geko's recent Podcasts.

Yeah I understand that, if there actually doing it I don't expect much details but if they have said "yes we have an expansion coming at the end of the year" great, but you've been here as long as me and we both know them saying something and doing is a whole different ball game. Haven't had time to check the podcasts nor do I follow their twitter stuff as I don't personally do twitter. But ill check it tomorrow see what the whole deal is from this podcast.

Cheers
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    A new story mission every few months would be good. As it could show story progression to the current main story. Or to create a small side story. With a side story, we can explore worlds we don't use often. See new worlds. A new small threat. The sky is the limit!

Anyways this would be good on all parts.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
    edited May 2014
    Yeah I understand that, if there actually doing it I don't expect much details but if they have said "yes we have an expansion coming at the end of the year" great, but you've been here as long as me and we both know them saying something and doing is a whole different ball game. Haven't had time to check the podcasts nor do I follow their twitter stuff as I don't personally do twitter. But ill check it tomorrow see what the whole deal is from this podcast.

Cheers
    In the STOKED Podcast from 2 weeks ago he discusses that he has been working on Expansion 2 since December: http://youtu.be/wgB6MdDRyss?t=19m12s

There are not a lot of details, but it is confirmation on the new EP.
    edited May 2014
    In the STOKED Podcast from 2 weeks ago he discusses that he has been working on Expansion 2 since December: http://youtu.be/wgB6MdDRyss?t=19m12s

There are not a lot of details, but it is confirmation on the new EP.

Thnx cosmic for link, ill check it out.
    edited May 2014
    I doubt there will be a new faction so soon. I'm thinking it will have more to do with Voyager and the Delta Quadrant. Hippie Space Pirates ahoy.
  • lilchibiclarililchibiclari Member Posts: 1,193 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    A single FE mission to advance the series plot every two months would be fun, but at some point I'd like to see a return of the five-part FE series (at least one of those per year if not two). I'd be willing to see the single-mission FE items limited to two-per-Season instead of every-two-months if we could get at least one five-episode arc a year in addition.
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,820 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Personally I'd rather see a new STF like mission than a new featured episode. This game is severely lacking in endgame...maybe every now and then throw a bone to PvP'ers.
  • locutusofcactuslocutusofcactus Member Posts: 651 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    dkeith2011 wrote: »
    Would be a nice change from the endless grind.

Yeah until the mission gives part one of four unique rewards and I want to get them all on all of my characters :(.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited May 2014

Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • redsnake721redsnake721 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    To keep players and fleets coming back and spending money cryptic needs to use the sick and carrot approach.
    Create 6 endgame sets. 3 space 3 ground. One for each career type. Tank, DPS, Sci. Make these the most sought after gear in the game. Not wildly OP just a little better than anything else out there.
    Then do what the old STF's did with the prototype tech salvage drops. Have 3 space and ground STF's that have a long list of hard optionals. Like a fleet battle where the more friendly ships you can keep alive or keeping a starbases health above a certian percentage. Or beaming crew off of Stations under attack and transporting them to another ship on the other end of the map fighting your way through. My point is if they create really hard expectations that no one can complete on the 1st or even 15th try and place a really nice reward behind it, players will keep trying over and over and over to get it.

Fleets will rack their brains to come up with plans on how to get the highest score. And when you go get a high score or complete all the optionals you get an item that you can use to craft the gear, so you have to do it again and again. This worked with the old STF's and the random tech drops. Players would do these missions all day all night to get the last part to complete their Maco/Omega sets.

Remember the mission in the Jem Haddar story line when you have the space battle above DS9? You had these groups of Fed ships fighting the Jem Haddar and you got an accolade if you coulkd keep so many alive. Mission like that are more that smashing a space bar and killing everything in site.

The player need content that makes them have to use their brain, come up with a plan, teamwork, strategy. instead of locking gear rewards behind a reputation grind of a starbase store unlock. Put something special and unique behind some crafting that is only availabe via some really hard PVE missions. And they way cryptic could make money at it would be to sell buffs and NPC help like the stuff for sale in the starbase store that cost DIL and can only be used in these missions. As it is now the fleet PVE missions are to easy and no one needs to buy a "Call Dreadnaught support" consumable or a Starbace Lance consumable. But the missions I am thing about would be so hard to get the optionals you would really want all the help you could get. Just a thought.
    edited May 2014
    Okay... After reading the entirety of this thread again and considering all of the comments, I am ready to compromise on what I feel would do the most good for keeping story missions free while at the same time ensuring their profitability.

The answer is release whatever they would be selling in a lockbox, in the Dilithium Store and in the Zen store in conjunction with at least one episode per month. Have whatever is monetized be related directly to something that is seen or referenced in the story. Use the story mission to showcase things in all monetized aspects. In this way, everyone gets to see whatever is being monetized and can decide whether or not they want it.

Free story missions double as product placement advertisements for Lockbox, Zen, Dilithium and Lobi items. All I ask is that if anything new is to be sold in whatever monetization form, let there be some sort of story mission that introduces it. I don't think it is too much to ask...
    There is no compromise needed. Cryptic has never stated they will charge for Content - and they have stated more then once that free Content tends to be PW's business model.

In the STOKED Podcast I linked to above Geko states the new EP will have a similar amount of new Content to what LoR offered - it is around 1:42:00 mark. So we could be looking at another 40+ Missions in the new EP. If we can get 5-6 new FEs per year on top of that it all seems quite reasonable to me - especially with whatever new replayable Rep content that also gets added.

I do not know how the new EP will be monetized. My understanding from the hints is that it is a Delta Quadrant Expansion and that the game will be bringing in various Voyager races from the Poll late last year. There has also been a couple of hints that it might include a Level Cap increase - where we finally get our Admiral abilities; but that is all just conjecture. Either way I am certain there will be new ships, new Sets, new Reps, new playable Captains and Boffs, etc. PW does not do things without knowing where the money to pay for them will come from. :)
    edited May 2014
    I do not know how the new EP will be monetized. My understanding from the hints is that it is a Delta Quadrant Expansion and that the game will be bringing in various Voyager races from the Poll late last year. There has also been a couple of hints that it might include a Level Cap increase - where we finally get our Admiral abilities; but that is all just conjecture. Either way I am certain there will be new ships, new Sets, new Reps, new playable Captains and Boffs, etc. PW does not do things without knowing where the money to pay for them will come from. :)

I hope there isn't a level cap increase. That would just be throwing kerosene on the fire at this point.
    edited May 2014
    I hope there isn't a level cap increase. That would just be throwing kerosene on the fire at this point.
    You do not need to add T6 ships or equipment Mark increases just because you increase the Level Cap. You can add Admiral abilities like Fleet Control, the First Officer promotion, etc.

Since our characters have been Admirals forever it really is time that we start to get some Admiral abilities rather then just acting like over-ranked Captains.
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,102 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    chalpen wrote: »
    I won't buy lock boxes. Most people won't.

I've never and won't by a lockbox key, or open a lockbox; but that's me. That said, most of the evidence to date with regard to your "Most people" comment isn't the reality. if it were, we wouldn't see the Lockboxes continue to be rolled out. In almost every interview it's said STO make the MAJORITY of it's Zen sales due to players buying master keys and opening Lockboxes for the ships, gear and Lobi.
    ^^^
    Lockbox key sales are what's keeping STO profitable (the content is needed to give players a reason to want/use the Lockbox stuff, so it is a co-dependent situation.) But in the end, Lockboxes and Master Key sales are the bread and butter of STO monetization. So, the content will always be 'free' and will always be the main method to entice player to buy Master Keys for opening those boxes.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."