test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Priority One Podcast - Featuring Al "CaptainGeko" Rivera

elijahmreelijahmre Member Posts: 195 Arc User
Hello Captains! Just before the release of Season 9, Lead Designer Al "CaptainGeko" Rivera spent time with the Priority One Podcast Team to talk all about STO, Season 9, and beyond!

In this three-part interview, Mr. Rivera answers questions submitted by the community and engages in great discussions with the team about Star Trek Online. Below are the links to the three episodes:

Part I - http://priorityonepodcast.com/po169/
Part II - http://priorityonepodcast.com/po170/
Part III - http://priorityonepodcast.com/po171/

Also, Captains, don't forget to answer this week's Community Questions or offer your feedback on episode 171!
    What do you think about the reports from The Wrap article? Do you think that JJ Trek could be a lot better with several different avenues for immersion? Could Star Wars actually turn out MUCH better than his re-imagined Trek just because he doesn't have to worry about jumping through licensing hoops?
    What is your opinion of Season 9 content? What do you think of the featured episode? What about the new PvE content?
Let us know YOUR thoughts by commenting below!

We are Live on TrekRadio.net every Thursday around 10:30pm ET / 7:30pm PT! If you’d like to join us live, during the show, Trek Radio has a built in IRC Chat client. Just click on the Community menu tab and select IRC Chat - input your desired screen name and enter!

The Priority One Productions is always looking for new team members that have a passion for Star Trek. Please know that all of our positions are volunteer, but we do offer a well known outlet for your work. If you have a particular skill that you believe could enhance our content, then send your contact information and experience along with a few writing samples to incoming@priorityonepodcast.com

Did you miss any of our great Blogs last week? Stop by this link and see for yourself! How about our latest Video Release? You can also follow us on the social media sites! We’re on Facebook! Head over to www.facebook.com/PriorityOnePodcast and say, “Hi!” Or, Check us out on Twitter via @stopriorityone for show times and other cool stuff.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    chalpenchalpen Member Posts: 2,207 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    You can see where bad robot was taking this. TV, games, everything.
    It takes lots of power to get a franchise on its feet and bad robot thought they had it.
    They didn't.
    In fact, nobody has enough power in that industry to get Star Trek back because of the licensing issue.
    Nobody.
    It would take the president of paramount and cbs to sit in room for a week and only talk trek to hammer something out.
    For what? Star Trek on tv?
    TV is a dieing medium. Netflix-like services are the future.
    Disney sees that over the horizon. Who is making the defenders tv show?
    Not abc that is owned by Disney.

Un-ip Lockboxes. It irks me but it seems to be paying for the game so I accept them. I won't spend a red cent on them but their are some that do.

That being said, good interviews.
    In part two (and for the second time) geko misunderstood my question. I am trying not to be mad at it. I think it's on purpose.
    It looks like cryptic has a handle on the game now.
    I really like where it is going.
    Should I start posting again after all this time?
  • Options
    o0kami87o0kami87 Member Posts: 590 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Licensing is a double edged sword, on the one hand what JJ and bad robot wanted to do to effectively remove the original series is blatantly wrong and the license CBS retains saved the franchise from that, you don't go wiping out a full section of a show like trek and not expect a failure. On the other side of things it makes it vary hard to get the job done right with so many heads, if CBS had full control over the franchise I'm sure JJ's restrictions would have been rearranged to something more manageable. Some way to keep both parties happy where adding more parties to the bargaining table complicates things.

Not fond of the undean ships but it's more from a lack of information on these "living" ships. I can see a crew taking control of just about any technology until you reach self aware tech, are the 8472 ships like mindless plants or do the ships themselves have an intelligence to them? If they have self awareness then how am I flying it, I'd like an explanatory story over it because really unless it's an oversized carrot an adapted console doesn't cut it on this one.

the featured episode was epic, loved the storyline and OMG XINDI! been looking for Xindi in the game for a while just to see how things are going with them. It's the little things.

While I enjoy a challenge the fleet system is a bust. If you have a high level base and 100+ members it's easy to retain and increase your numbers, however if your fleet is low level and dead reviving said fleet is next to impossible. Nobody is willing to put in the effort to make the fleet any good, they join only to leave the next time they log in. That's if they log in again at all. So if your fleet is not already active, good luck making it active.

Lastly if you are still taking suggestions for the new field notes segment name, how about 'the briefing room'?
    First, Vice Admiral, U.S.S. Wolf Pack-F, NX-101687-FFirst., Vice Admiral, A.R.W. Moon WolfWolf, I.K.S. Frost Bite
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    chalpen wrote: »
    In fact, nobody has enough power in that industry to get Star Trek back because of the licensing issue.
    Nobody.
    It would take the president of paramount and cbs to sit in room for a week and only talk trek to hammer something out.
    Brad Grey, the CEO of Paramount, and Les Moonves, the CEO of CBS, both work for Sumner Redstone, the Executive Chairman of the Board of both CBS and Viacom.

So it is not as complicated as you might like to believe. Sumner owns both companies via voting shares.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    o0kami87 wrote: »
    Licensing is a double edged sword, on the one hand what JJ and bad robot wanted to do to effectively remove the original series is blatantly wrong and the license PBS retains saved the franchise from that, you don't go wiping out a full section of a show like trek and not expect a failure.
    It is CBS, not PBS. I would also point out that the last two Star Trek movies grossed over $850 million world-wide - and much more via DVD sales and the like. It has not been a financial failure by any definition.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    o0kami87o0kami87 Member Posts: 590 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    It is CBS, not PBS. I would also point out that the last two Star Trek movies grossed over $850 million world-wide - and much more via DVD sales and the like. It has not been a financial failure by any definition.

Thanks I will correct to CBS, on the other note, couldn't care less what the movies made, I never called the movies a failure, I said throwing out the tos would be a failure, and I feel I am using a bad word for what I'm trying to express. It would just plain be a bad business move simply put.
    First, Vice Admiral, U.S.S. Wolf Pack-F, NX-101687-FFirst., Vice Admiral, A.R.W. Moon WolfWolf, I.K.S. Frost Bite
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    The issue here is not really about licensing problems between CBS and Paramount. The issue here was that Abrams wanted only HIS version of Trek to be sold. He wanted only his version of the characters marketed, only his version of the Connie licensed for models and t-shirts and posters, only his version of the universe to go into comics, and so on. Abrams wanted to get a piece of all the pies from every avenue of Trek ever created from Star Trek 09 onward.

CBS was not going to give that up. They make far too much money licensing Trek, themselves. There was no reason to give Abrams money he did not earn; after all, it was CBS's IP. Abrams got pissed that he was not going to be allowed to make all the money he wanted and walked.

It had nothing to do with licensing issues between the two corporations.
  • Options
    noctusxxxnoctusxxx Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Is there a transcript anywhere?
  • Options
    diotwdiotw Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I have to say, I was a little concerned that in part II, Al didn't seem to have any concept of the 'Large Fleets Need Credits/Small Fleets Need XP' issue with the fleet system, and had to have it spelled out to him by the hosts. Surely this is one of the single greatest issues with the current fleet holding system, but he didn't know about it?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    This character is why I don't play my Romulan any more. Tovan Khev is NOT my BFF! Get him off my bridge!
  • Options
    jengozjengoz Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    diotw wrote: »
    I have to say, I was a little concerned that in part II, Al didn't seem to have any concept of the 'Large Fleets Need Credits/Small Fleets Need XP' issue with the fleet system, and had to have it spelled out to him by the hosts. Surely this is one of the single greatest issues with the current fleet holding system, but he didn't know about it?

Silly Rabbit, the Devs don't play the game. That's why they have no idea about the problems.
    "Star Trek Online is powered by the most abundant resource in the galaxy . . . Gullibility"
  • Options
    xiaoping88xiaoping88 Member Posts: 1,493 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Can we keep our Crystaline Catastrophe? Pretty please?
    Reality is an illusion.
    The universe is a hologram.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    After listening to Al Rivera's comments on the current state of PvE content in STO; I really think it's time for Cryptic to transfer him to one of their other MMO projects more worthy of his talents that is churning out new PvE content at a pace he can handle.

To Cryptic/PWE management:

Please pull him off STO and put him as head producer on Champions Online as the development pace of that game seems more his style/speed.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    zmacgzmacg Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Hey Noctus!

We don't currently offer a transcript service. Perhaps in the future, but at this time transcripts are not available.
  • Options
    zeuslegion1zeuslegion1 Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Based on the information we currently have about the 2nd Expansion and Al's sign-off infodump at the end of Episode 171, it appears we are going deeper into the Delta Quadrant (Quarra?) and, since we're supposedly not getting another faction, all those ships they're working on for the expansion are likely from ALL of the various races of the Delta Quadrant. Maybe things are so bad between the Undine, the Voth, and the Borg out there that we'll stumble onto a butt-ton of these races looking for help and they'll join up as BOffs, DOffs, and ship-builders?
  • Options
    lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Hello. Thanks to CaptainSmirk's post, I've learned about this interview Podcasts, and I look forward to downloading/listening to them.

:)

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
  • Options
    omegaphallicomegaphallic Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I think we could end up with more races for factions as well.

It was speculated at one time that the Kazon would join the Klingons, Occompa the Federation, and Talaxians both.

But that was before the Romulan republic, and the Kazon hage proven to be hugely unpopular with the vast majority of KDF fans.

So I think it will be Talaxians with the Republic, Occompa with the federation, and either the Trabe or Kremin with the KDF.
  • Options
    kazamiyukarinkazamiyukarin Member Posts: 158 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    If you are still taking suggestions for the new name of the Field Notes segment, what about "STO Academy" or "Academy Lessons?"
    Call me Yuka~
    ~Vice Admiral Saskia - U.S.S. Muenzuka (Dyson Science Destroyer)~
    ~Lieutenant General Kalinka - I.K.S. Kazami (Negh'Var Heavy Battlecruiser)~
    ~Vice Admiral Lorel - R.R.W. Aureus Aquila (Mirror Mogai Heavy Warbird)~
  • Options
    simeion1simeion1 Member Posts: 898 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    elijahmre wrote: »
      What is your opinion of Season 9 content? What do you think of the featured episode? What about the new PvE content?

Well love the season nine content,the huddles are a bit much, specially with no counter to think of. The new PvE content is equivalent to Borg STFs, why are the dilithium rewards not the same. The Feature epidsde was awesome. There is a growing concern with FPS bug that a lot of players are having, there is a huge post in the graphics bug section. It is making the game unbearable to play for post players with this bug. Would love a dev to accoknowledge it exist and they are working on it.
    320x240.jpg
  • Options
    venkouvenkou Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Wait!?!?! Did the current reputation 'traits' revamp fail? As a result of nerfing the 'active passive' system by 50%, did the change trigger off a slight population decline?

Geko is trying to justify a 'take the slots away, so that people can earn them back' mentality.

Talk about an epic fail.

Talk about an insult to player inelegance.

Players have already earned the right to use the traits. If Geko is having second thoughts, I suggest he just give them all back. Why pull the rug out from everyone?

Cryptic is on crack.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    venkou wrote: »
    Wait!?!?! Did the current reputation 'traits' revamp fail? As a result of nerfing the 'active passive' system by 50%, did the change trigger off a slight population decline?
    At the time of this Podcast Season 9 had not even been out a week. That would not have been anywhere near enough time to determine how popular or unpopular any particular decision was.
  • Options
    venkouvenkou Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    At the time of this Podcast Season 9 had not even been out a week. That would not have been anywhere near enough time to determine how popular or unpopular any particular decision was.
    All he had to do is read the forums.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    venkou wrote: »
    All he had to do is read the forums.
    The forums are not representative of the fan-base. In fact I would hazard a guess to say that less then 3% of the players have ever posted to the forum. If there are half-a-million people playing STO even 3% would require 15,000 people to post to this forum regularly. Cryptic's Polls do not even get more then 4,000 votes, let alone 15,000.

But that has no bearing on your point: that it triggered a population decline. When Geko did that Podcast it was only a few days after the Launch of Season 9. It takes more then a few days to determine success or failure.

Unfortunately too many people on gaming forums think that what they hate everyone must hate. That is generally nowhere near the truth. Each special snowflake has their own opinions. :)