test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Why we WON'T be seeing a Cube in a box

Comments

• tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I agree that it will be a Sphere and something else that's not a cube.

Cube is just too big. Also....DeathStar lockbox? Want.
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • stelakkhstelakkh Member Posts: 185 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    How would they get around the movement issues that I mention in my last post?

By doing what they did with the rest of the ships - igoring how they moved on-screen in movies and TV.

The Galaxy had a hell of a turn rate in TNG and its subsequent films. That sucker was able to turn on its heel and move without the huge, sweeping arcs of STO.

The Interpid class is clearly capable of doing some serioualy swift movements. Just watch this video from "Scorpion, Part I" where Voyager tumbles out of control after being hit by a beam from Species 8472 (it is NOT "Undine," damn it. That's a Cryptic-made name, sod you, Cryptic), stablizes in an instant, orients for the jump to warp, and then DOES warp - all without a big turn arc: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8HccXIseTE.

There are various other examples of starships being EXTREMELY maneuverable, but Cryptic ignored all of that.

So there's no reason to believe they won't ignore other movement issues - even when it comes to helping a player orient a spherical ship. "We'll add some Impulse trails and they'll get it."
    Actual Join Date: August, 2008
  • edgecrysgeredgecrysger Member Posts: 2,740 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I dont think people realize. We have scimitars, and a lot of big ships that are perfectly playable.

The only thing cryptic would need to do is to put the camera a little bit further, and thats it. A cube can perfectly fit in the screen.

And since people doesnt care too much about having half of the ship below the skill try, it is perfectly loable to have a playable cube on the screen. So, if i were you i will prepare a future lockbox with a cube. We have undine ships already, so a borg lockbox should not be so far. :mad:
  • berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Forget the Borg. We will get playable Borg ships, because some players will buy them and that's all that matters to the powers that be. That said.....

I want a Lobi Consortium faction. Seriously - they are the most powerful organisation in the game, and the Trek universe.

They have the ability to capture and refit pretty much ANY ship. They can convert bioships to be used by crews that, by all rights, shouldn't be able to. They have unlimited funds and access to technology stripped out of various ships, including tech from 29th century timeships.

Sorry - the Ferengi are the most powerful race in this game, and the Iconians should back off whilst they still can.

:rolleyes:
    In my opinion, this post wins the thread, maybe the STO Forums.
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    But... It has the perfect shape for a box...
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • architect13architect13 Member Posts: 1,076 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    The way I see it, the undine being put in a box was where they truly truly jumped the shark. After the undine, I expect anything from a box lol.

I think when they added dinosaurs, it jumped the shark.
    Have you tried the new forum on your phone?
    edited April 2014
    anazonda wrote: »
    But... It has the perfect shape for a box...
    Ok, so I passed up on commenting on comments like this the first couple times they were made in this thread, but:

Only if the box is a cube.
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • solidshatnersolidshatner Member Posts: 390 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I dont think people are asking for a Borg Cube. They're saying that having a Undine ship is as STUPID as a Borg cube.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2014
    I think when they added dinosaurs, it jumped the shark.
    Oh! I can see the title of the next thread:

Why We WON'T be seeing a Playable Dinosaur Faction

:eek:....
    edited April 2014
    I dont think people are asking for a Borg Cube. They're saying that having a Undine ship is as STUPID as a Borg cube.

Yup, but since we already crossed the frontier of the undine, the borg are perfectly possible. The only requirement was not to see playable undine ships. Now that they are there, why not the Borg?? lol. It will not make sense to put the excuse"their ships are too big" since people doesnt care lol. If a human can pilot an undine ship, a borg one is far easier lol. But since in STO logic is gone, evrything is possible.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Yup, but since we already crossed the frontier of the undine, the borg are perfectly possible. The only requirement was not to see playable undine ships. Now that they are there, why not the Borg?? lol. It will not make sense to put the excuse"their ships are too big" since people doesnt care lol. If a human can pilot an undine ship, a borg one is far easier lol. But since in STO logic is gone, evrything is possible.

The "too big" is more a problem with the game camera and other effects. You can see some of that problem already now - for example, when I warp out of a space map in a D'Deridex, the camera shows me the inside of the ship. Scimitar players can probably report even more practical issues, like the difficultes of flying around obstacles. You see issues like that in the Borg STFs, where the Tactical Cube can't seem to get around the gate.

Unless Cryptic can find a way for the engine to handle this more gracefully, a Cube may just be impractical for technical reasons. Not because it's "Not Trek" or "OP", just because it breakes the engine.

Of course, that still leaves the possibility for Borg Probes or Spheres.

But story-wise - we already have the Assimilated Set and the Romulan Adapted ships, so it's not like it seems any hard to adapt Borg technology any more. And of course, Undine tech seems even more different from ours, and even that the Lobi Consortium could handle.

I guess it's nice to know that Quark is making good money these days.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Unless Cryptic makes Mini Cube, I don't see Cubes being playable.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • sle1989sle1989 Member Posts: 552 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Borg lockboxes would make them a TRIBBLE ton of money so we WILL see them in game.

Like others have said, it will be a Probe and a Sphere. Perhaps the cube will be a Doff pack promotion like the Attack Ship or Voth Bastion. Of course the OP is right, the cube is way too big for a player ship, maybe they'll introduce a smaller "Scout" cube. It could be the same size as the Scimitar.

Really though, they'll need to update the Borg the same way they updated the Undine so if we start to see updated Borg on TRibble, you'll know what's coming.
    y1arXbh.png

• johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    sle1989 wrote: »
    Borg lockboxes would make them a TRIBBLE ton of money so we WILL see them in game.

Pretty much. Any other counter argument is irrelevant. It would make a ton of money, and given that we've now got playable Undine ships, it's almost inevitable.
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
  • jackal1701apwjackal1701apw Member Posts: 669 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    There was a game called star trek legacy that had the best Star Trek space battle sim engine ever (even better than STO altho it was more simplistic). You had energy weapons and a limited number of torps. You also had 3 adjustable power systems (shields/engines/weapons) and the ability to engage your warp engines in system and shoot across the map. Best part - you controlled a fleet of four vessels and could hop in and out controlling whichever one you chose, with the other supporting you or getting on with what you tell them to do. As the game went on doing missions after missions you upgraded your fleet starting with a couple of NXs and ending up in Sovvies. It had voiceovers from all the main actors too (5 captains).

In the multiplayer mode you could pick the borg race and if the game had high enough starting resources you could actually put a regular or tac cube in your fleet. Flying that was cool - it could pretty much shoot in any direction and you got the hang of which direction it was facing after moving forwards a little.

So, um, yer it could be done. But I would not open any boxes unless the jackpot was a TACTICAL cube :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

...#LLAP...
  • lee69dlee69d Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I agree! If it will make the company money, they will bring the borg ships. SERIOUSLY guys, you can not say you would not try and get one. Hell, I would!
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Nah - why stop the ridiculous there? Go the whole-hog and have the jackpot be one of those unimatrix 'cigar' ships.

Because you know, tactical cubes, regular cubes, unimatrix ships...... it would be SO awesome to fly a ship that barely moves. :rolleyes:

With the current decision making echelon at the helm of STO, you shouldn't be suprised if you start to see flying broomsticks, dragons, flying carpets, rainbow ponies or any other obscene thing you can think of.
    HQroeLu.jpg
    edited April 2014
    The "too big" is more a problem with the game camera and other effects. You can see some of that problem already now - for example, when I warp out of a space map in a D'Deridex, the camera shows me the inside of the ship. Scimitar players can probably report even more practical issues, like the difficultes of flying around obstacles. You see issues like that in the Borg STFs, where the Tactical Cube can't seem to get around the gate.

Unless Cryptic can find a way for the engine to handle this more gracefully, a Cube may just be impractical for technical reasons. Not because it's "Not Trek" or "OP", just because it breakes the engine.

Of course, that still leaves the possibility for Borg Probes or Spheres.

But story-wise - we already have the Assimilated Set and the Romulan Adapted ships, so it's not like it seems any hard to adapt Borg technology any more. And of course, Undine tech seems even more different from ours, and even that the Lobi Consortium could handle.

I guess it's nice to know that Quark is making good money these days.

¿?

As i said, some big ships in some scenarios just overlap with the skill try and nobody seem to care about it. A borg cube will not represent any difficulty. You will have just a bigger ship in front of you, thats all. And if thats a problem, cryptic should implement a system to move the offset of the camera, something that i dunno how is not implemented yet (same as to allow more zoom distance, not with the "camdist" command that is a pain in the axx). Another fail from cryptic.
    edited April 2014
    lee69d wrote: »
    I agree! If it will make the company money, they will bring the borg ships. SERIOUSLY guys, you can not say you would not try and get one. Hell, I would!

I will, because flying a borg cube must be really strange and a great experience. But probably, i will discard it once i see it moves at 0,1 turn speed and i cant even look to the left to see other ships.. lol.

And of course, only the cube. I will never fly a sphere or any other borg stuff, as i will never fly an undine ship.
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    bergins wrote: »
    Ok, so I passed up on commenting on comments like this the first couple times they were made in this thread, but:

Only if the box is a cube.

Well the Lockboxes are a cube...

BUT: It's really just my way of saying that I agree with the OP, and thats pretty much the only reason I can think of why you would put Borg ships into a Grab-Bag.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • boogieman624boogieman624 Member Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    They Could Put Some Of The New Ships From The FED Tutorial in.
    I Cant See The Borg Lockbox Having a Cube In It, However If There Is A Borg(Unimatix Zero) Faction The Cube Could Be For 5000 Zen For An Account Unlock Of One Borg Cube, And 5000 More For Each Other Type Of Cube And 10000 Zen For All types Of Cube.(Tact. Cube, Cube, Sci. Cube.)
  • griftimusgriftimus Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Flying a borg ship makes more sense than flying a bioship.

"we captured an unlimited amount of bioships, got some shovels and shoveled out the goo that comprised it, we threw some support beams up and added some consoles so its TOTALLY flyable by anything now".

"we captured an unlimited amount of borg vessels, learned how to use them, and adapted some of our own tech to match, they are large in size so you will have to use a lot of manpower to get it flying around"

which one marks more sense to you?

Both to a degree - if you take a step back and look at the Dyson Sphere as a starting ground on the subject. The "cease-fire" and the Romulans being a less aggressive faction in the known universe. As well, does anyone remember Star Trek the Motion Picture - Earth technology that became self aware and all. Not to mention with how many times the timeline has been toyed with - The Voyage Home and First Contact if you stick to the original timeline, not to mention the reboot. Who is to say that Star Trek Online is not some mythical third universe where the Federation, KDF and Romulans are the lot are able to use technology and scientific advances by all parties to adapt Borg or Undine ships to be a Trojan Horse...

Borg and Bioship tech could be melded together to make some new super ship... it is after all - a game based on the idea of Star Trek and not a true series, cast or story set in stone to get us from point A to point B in the story.

Some of the folks in my fleet are VA and have not done the story, but rather decided to PVE and grind for marks to get there...

If anything - this game needs an option to truly make your starship yours... Romulan Warbirb with something of a saucer separation... or a Borg style ship with a Klingon crew and implants to control the ship.

Heck... lets conquer the Tholians and make ground combat suits for Federation players to march around like spiders
  • m0rdr4km0rdr4k Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Have you guys seen theese preview vids? They seem very genuine. Only a dev can tell if it is or not I guess. If it's fake it's very well done.

Undine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIHPHY5q-tc

Borg: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dy0Fg7ee5PI

If it's true, many people will be dissapointed but there will be those that will like it as well...
  • maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    If they introduce them, they will be shrunk and nerfed, it is not simply a matter of changing the players point of view in order to be able to control the ship, there is also every element of the game where the player has to be able to take the ship. We are already reading mountains of complaints about how big Scimitars are and how many problems players are having with them getting stuck in places, can you even imagine what would happen with a cube or even a sphere at their current sizes? The game would be virtually unplayable for them.
    I have no doubt we will see Borg content at some point, this game has become a complete joke in that respect and the only claim that it has now to having anything to do with Star trek is that it is using Star Trek related content, such as it is.
    Given the complete cluster f_k this is turning into they may as well go for broke and make every faction playable, hell, I would have fun playing as a Tholian, I'd pay for that willingly.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • notapwefannotapwefan Member Posts: 1,138 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Why would anyone want to see a flyable cube or any borg ship for that matter? (cube, sphere, unimatrix, diamond)?
    Grinding for MkIV epic gear?
    Ain't Nobody Got Time for That

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    notapwefan wrote: »
    Why would anyone want to see a flyable cube or any borg ship for that matter? (cube, sphere, unimatrix, diamond)?

Dunno. Ask the jackass who thought a flyable Nicor was a good idea.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • sle1989sle1989 Member Posts: 552 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    The Cube is the box the sphere comes in!

On a more serious note I suspect that the Borg Lockbox is next. What else can they do?

In Season 9.5 they'll probably revamp the Borg in a similar way they did the Undine so we'll get the revamped ships.
    y1arXbh.png

• robrocks1robrocks1 Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I'd get a sphere for no other reason than to trigger the "ship-on-the-ground" bug and pretend I'm in a giant hamster ball on ESD.
    edited April 2014

Why would anyone want to see a "flyable" undine ship?? its exactly the same.

And as you know, undine ships are already here. Obviously a cube will be too much, but an sphere, probe, assimilator o pyramid will be perfecty vaild. The cube will be valid as well, since it will be the ship that more sells will do. Sadlly. Because even if the 75% of the reasonable people will never fly a cube, all the rich people and kids will buy millions of lockboxes only to gather the cube.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Like the other guy said, because it's there. Truthfully I think we'll see something like the Elachi again long before Borg.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg