test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

no playable undine ships

ghyudtghyudt Member Posts: 1,112 Arc User
Players should not have access to any sort of undine technology, especially bio-ships. Its ridiculous to think that something organic, that responds only to the mind of a certain species, should be controlled by such weak and primitive beings such as what we currently have. And the explanation given for why we can use them is even more ludicrous. Not only would the ship itself die from all the modifications, it wouldn't be even half as powerful as it is under undine control, and you certainly wouldn't be able to use any of its standard weapons or abilities because odds are they can only be accessed through brain waves and psionic energy. In all honesty, they should be removed and replaced with Borg ships. At least its conceivable that the 3 factions could use those.
Post edited by ghyudt on

Comments

• doffingcomradedoffingcomrade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Too late now, you can't put the genie back in the bottle. Besides, who's to say the ship HASN'T died, and you're just flying around its corpse like a zombie?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    ghyudt wrote: »
    Players should not have access to any sort of undine technology, especially bio-ships. Its ridiculous to think that something organic, that responds only to the mind of a certain species, should be controlled by such weak and primitive beings such as what we currently have. And the explanation given for why we can use them is even more ludicrous. Not only would the ship itself die from all the modifications, it wouldn't be even half as powerful as it is under undine control, and you certainly wouldn't be able to use any of its standard weapons or abilities because odds are they can only be accessed through brain waves and psionic energy. In all honesty, they should be removed and replaced with Borg ships. At least its conceivable that the 3 factions could use those.

so picard is dead?

all liberated borg characters are dead?

well some people are going to be disappointed.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • kamiyama317kamiyama317 Member Posts: 1,295 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    While the Undine ships may be alive, who is to say that they aren't like trees? No one ever said that they are sentient.
  • edgecrysgeredgecrysger Member Posts: 2,740 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    While the Undine ships may be alive, who is to say that they aren't like trees? No one ever said that they are sentient.

¿? isnt a tree sentient? any life form is sentient.
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2014
    ¿? isnt a tree sentient? any life form is sentient.

Sentient = Self aware, no matter how you wrangle the definition as to which animals are sentient, trees are not on that list. Ents on the other hand...
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • notapwefannotapwefan Member Posts: 1,138 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    the interior of undine ship reminds me of a huge TRIBBLE, and if you look closely then you might spot a giant TRIBBLE.
    Grinding for MkIV epic gear?
    Ain't Nobody Got Time for That

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Players having borg ships is as realistic as Species 8472...

It's too late, they are here, and we just have to deal with it or move on.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited April 2014

Do you have concrete examples that prove any of what you say. We saw that inside of that ship for about a minute on screen and it sounds like you have invented your own technical manuals and decided how things can work.

who is to say they use their mind and not tactile controls? who is to say the ship would die from modifications, or be weaker under another pilot or be unable to use their weapons?
  • stf65stf65 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Living ships are already in canon. Tinman was a living ship and was eventually being controlled by a betazed. If there's 1 there's always going to end up being more then 1 because players want to be unique and special too. The undine ship's just an extension of that.

The star trek universe is pretty far out there. People readily accept that mechanical zombies can instantly adapt to all technology used against them but then stumble on the idea that an interphase can be made to work on a bio ship. Telepathy is certainly not uncommon in the star trek universe. Vulcans even had telepathic weapons centuries ago. There's no reason to believe an interphase allowing 2 minds to interact is too far out there for trek.
  • rgzarcherrgzarcher Member Posts: 320 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Has anyone considered WHERE these Undine ships might have come from? Yes they are organic, but we don't know much beyond that. We already have a mission where you go into Fluidic Space and blow up a shipyard that grows Planet Killers. is it possible that while there along with the commandos you are beaming in there are scientist taking samples or something?

Star Trek Nemeses also showed us that the Romulans are pretty good at making clones. An organic ship would have DNA and that could in turn be used to grow ships couldn't it?

This is a different kind of ship yes, but that doesn't mean its impossible to gain access to it. Many years ago there was a scifi series that went by the title of Space Above and Beyond, in it the aliens had organic composit ships and the humans were able to steal and fly them on rare occasions (they always got blown up it seemed) so the concept isn't impossible.

Edit: I will say that a friend of mine who has an Undine ship does RP a bit with it, his toon is a Liberated Borg and so are his entire bridge. His idea being that since Borg are cybernetic they would be able to interface with it via nanoprobes. Likewise someone could use an entire crew of telepaths for this concept. DS9 and TOS both had ships that were entirely crewed by Vulcans after all ;)
    "Why all the sales"?

And a merry freaking Christmas to you too, Ebenezer.
    -jonsills, 'Cryptic Why the sales..instead of Fixing XP leveling and this game?'
    edited April 2014
    artan42 wrote: »
    Sentient = Self aware, no matter how you wrangle the definition as to which animals are sentient, trees are not on that list. Ents on the other hand...

It doesnt matter if the undine ships are not sentient, they are attached genetically to the undine. No matter what excuses we find to be able to pilot undine ships, we cant. Period. But there will be always a lot of people who they just want to fly anything, if it is new and they like it. No matter wat.
  • nakedcrooknakedcrook Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014

Try not to worry OP...we will be flying Borg Spheres soon enough. It is only a matter of time before Vice Admiral McLovin Tootsie of the (USS) Borg Sphere Rofl Hax will be joining those Undine Ships to fight The Voth.

It is good that Cryptic shows contempt for the IP and the player base. Anything to make money; the easier the better. I heard the next lockbox ship will be the ISE Gate. Anything is possible with Cryptic at the helm!

Take us right at the Canon...and plot a collision course at warp 9! Once more unto thr breach!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

If you oppose the Reputation nerf, feel free to use my signature
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    A few of us in another thread are trying to form a Nicor-hunting wolfpack in Ker'rat over the weekend. /channel_join UndineHunters, for those who wish Cryptic had never made those abominations playable.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • griftimusgriftimus Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    notapwefan wrote: »
    the interior of undine ship reminds me of a huge TRIBBLE, and if you look closely then you might spot a giant TRIBBLE.

I noticed that Nicor Bio-Warship bridge map looks a little like phallic also...

Anatomy aside though, the ship is ok... and if you think of a lesser known sci-fi series (Lexx), a living ship can serve a Captain of any race/faction ...

As for why we as players can use the ships... who cares... its a game and meant to be fun, its something new to fly around in and fiddle with... I for one am looking forward to maxing out my reps and trying different sets to see what gives me the best bang with my little bioship.
  • stf65stf65 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    nakedcrook wrote: »
    Try not to worry OP...we will be flying Borg Spheres soon enough. It is only a matter of time before Vice Admiral McLovin Tootsie of the (USS) Borg Sphere Rofl Hax will be joining those Undine Ships to fight The Voth.

It is good that Cryptic shows contempt for the IP and the player base. Anything to make money; the easier the better. I heard the next lockbox ship will be the ISE Gate. Anything is possible with Cryptic at the helm!

Take us right at the Canon...and plot a collision course at warp 9! Once more unto thr breach!
    We fly what cbs lets us fly. If cbs doesn't care that we use undine ships in the game why should you? No one's forcing you to buy one.

It's always amazing how some people think just because they don't like something that no one else might like it. You're not that important. Not to cryptic, not to cbs, not to anyone on the forum. You're just another chirp in a community full of chirps who all want something different.
    edited April 2014
    starswordc wrote: »
    A few of us in another thread are trying to form a Nicor-hunting wolfpack in Ker'rat over the weekend. /channel_join UndineHunters, for those who wish Cryptic had never made those abominations playable.

So let me get this straight...

It os alright to hunt and target players flying a ship you don't like...but disliking Captain Shon, disliking Season 9, and disliking the rep nerfs is unacceptable?

You are messed up.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    So let me get this straight...

It os alright to hunt and target players flying a ship you don't like...but disliking Captain Shon, disliking Season 9, and disliking the rep nerfs is unacceptable?
    Reread the ****ing thread, jackass. We were objecting to your attitude and you comparing yourself to Rosa Parks, not the dislike itself.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
    edited April 2014

You are messed up.

LOL, i think we all are messed up for playing this game :P
  • hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    It's not a game! It's serious business! I am a TRUE Star Trek fan and I say that NO ONE should be flying non-faction ships! Because I SAID SO. Everyone will play the game how "I" want them to because "I" am more important. I am better than you. You are inferior. You ruin my immersion. And so help me I will harass you endlessly until you properly adhere to canon! :P
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited April 2014

You should probably start with something easier like Galors or Chel Gretts and gradually work your way up to the Bio ships.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • qjuniorqjunior Member Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    It doesnt matter if the undine ships are not sentient, they are attached genetically to the undine. No matter what excuses we find to be able to pilot undine ships, we cant. Period. But there will be always a lot of people who they just want to fly anything, if it is new and they like it. No matter wat.

Well, according to Cryptic, we can fly the ships. Obviously it was possible to modify them for humanoid use.

I can understand why people think that we can fly far too many inappropriate vessels, but that ship sailed a long time ago.

I'm happily flying whatever I want. I'm not telling you what to do in the game and expect the same courtesy.

I make my characters work with a marvelous thing called "my story". I don't really care how many players fly a bioship, because in my story, my Captain is the only one.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    It doesn't matter what the deus-ex-machina "Lobi Consortium" can or can't do - Star Trek Online is not a game driven by a story in some form of consistent "universe". Star Trek Online is a casual arcade game which tries to depict every single thing that was seen on any kind of Star Trek incarnation ever. We will get a Borg sphere in a lockbox as well. Because it doesn't matter. This game is like a playing mat, and all the children bring their favourite starship and start shoving them around and have fun.

Quite a few of us longed for some kind of "serious" Star Trek game, but Star Trek Online is not what we are looking for. Let it go.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • spacebaronlinespacebaronline Member Posts: 1,103 Arc User
    edited April 2014

Darn - I want the Warship - but am not paying $220 mill for it - I don't think it will drop down to the say $120 range before the weekend:(

If it does I will be out there so you can blow me up!!;)

For $200m I would rather get a Galor or a Wells time ship.
    edited April 2014
    So save your EC and get it when the price drops.

Or save the EC and buy the borg tactical cube when it is launched. :D:P
  • spacebaronlinespacebaronline Member Posts: 1,103 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    So save your EC and get it when the price drops.

Being an ALTaholic - I don't even like lock-box ships - bound to character gets expensive with 30+ toons.
  • lee69dlee69d Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Hope they do come out with borg ships sometime, would be a great laugh
  • spaceeagle20spaceeagle20 Member Posts: 971 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    So the Scimitar- hunting has ended ? Nice :P
    Who would have believed that someone assimilated by the Borg could be liberated ... and retain something from his/ her Borg past? That happened.
    It's true that actually piloting an Undine ship is more of a fantasy leap than a Borg ship which is after all a mechanical vehicle.
    Anyway, I've not played that episode but I know of an episode where there's an assimilated Undine ... so can't an undine ship be kind of assimilated and then piloted?
    Now we have scientists from all of the 3 factions working together, including the Romulans who have got some expertise in the Borg field ... I guess this mastermind can lead to something.
    Moreover, in the series, there's no mention of Romulans tampering with Borg technology.
    Anyway, is it really so impossible to pilot an Undine ship?
    So, we've achieved warp drive, freed people from the Borg, created clones and now we can't find a way to control a biological ship?
    Even Tuvok in the last episode was able to read into Dr. Cooper's mind while in the previous episode he was beaten up.
    P58WJe7.jpg

• shar487ashar487a Member Posts: 1,292 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Darn - I want the Warship - but am not paying $220 mill for it - I don't think it will drop down to the say $120 range before the weekend:(

If it does I will be out there so you can blow me up!!;)

For $200m I would rather get a Galor or a Wells time ship.

Two nights ago, Nicor's were selling for 200mil, and master lockbox keys sold for 2.4mil each. Therefore, 200mil / 2.4mil = 83.33, so you would have had to sell 84 keys to get it (roughly $84). As of last night, prices rose to 245mil per ship, and keys were selling at 2.5mil each, raising the requirement to 98 keys to buy (almost $100).

Wait a few days... prices will eventually drop as supply increases.
    edited April 2014
    Reread the ****ing thread, jackass. We were objecting to your attitude and you comparing yourself to Rosa Parks, not the dislike itself.

Touchy touchy. Ard you mad?

If you don't like my attitude...get off the Internet. Otherwise, deal with it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]