test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

RE: Season 9 Dev Blog #18 (Undine Lockbox ship discussion)

startrek1234567startrek1234567 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
*sigh* i was really hoping this would not happen, I know it was probably obvious it was going to happen, But i was holding on tight to the hope that it would not.

Undine ships do not belong in Starfleet to be honest or the KDF or the RR. it just makes no sense.

I understand that this game has drifted a very long way away from canon, but the last thing they need to do in terms of canon is drift farther from it.

I know the ship is modified for humanoid species, but it still is Undine origin.

WE NEED MORE CANON SHIPS, or atleast ships from the books.

Thoughts?

EDIT:

Here is the link to the official dev blog

And here is a link to the official discussion thread
~Askray
Post edited by startrek1234567 on

Comments

• jaturnleyjaturnley Member Posts: 1,218 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Well, it looks like they spent all of 15 minutes on that latest dev blog. Pictures in the wrong place, wrong stats copied and pasted, no links to the forum, no info on other lockbox items....

Wow.
  • hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    http://community.arcgames.com/en/news/star-trek-online/detail/3042883

Yeah, was hoping for more info since we're so close to release. No sign of any unique interiors either.
  • drake122svkdrake122svk Member Posts: 731 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Like, um... what did you expect? It's Cryptic as usual...
  • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Words cannot comprehend how silly this is. I would use stronger language, but I don't want to be banned....
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• peetapipmacpeetapipmac Member Posts: 2,131 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Whatever.

/10 characters
    It's not my fault if you feel trolled by my Disco ball... Sorry'boutit.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Eh. Although I have no interest in them at all, they don't really bother me any more than the alien ships we already have. Especially Tholian ships. I don't really care what other people fly anymore.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • rybaksixrybaksix Member Posts: 193 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    What's next ? Borg.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited April 2014

The Lockbox and Lobi Store is for silly ships that it makes no sense for us to have while the C-Store is for ships that we are supposed to have.

Obviously, these are canon ships since they were on Voyager.
    edited April 2014
    *sigh* i was really hoping this would not happen, I know it was probably obvious it was going to happen, But i was holding on tight to the hope that it would not.

Undine ships do not belong in Starfleet to be honest or the KDF or the RR. it just makes no sense.

I understand that this game has drifted a very long way away from canon, but the last thing they need to do in terms of canon is drift farther from it.

I know the ship is modified for humanoid species, but it still is Undine origin.

Thoughts?

The only canon ones left are crappy kitbashes thrown together with highlighter caps glued to Ertl model kits, then burned with a torch and intended to be seen on screen for three seconds. There are a lot of non-canon ships from games and the like, but those are sources they don't have rights to.
  • phalanx01phalanx01 Member Posts: 360 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Are those Undine ships a bad joke? I thought the Hirogen ones were bad but at least they were DIFFERENT ships. These seem to be identical save for some minor stat tweaks.
  • sentinel64sentinel64 Member Posts: 900 Arc User
    edited April 2014

Thoughts?

My thougts... my RR Hirogen is getting a lobi Bio-ship..., but it is unfortunate the game went this way. Especially for the unfortunate fool at the end of my bio cannons...MUHAAHAA....
  • suavekssuaveks Member Posts: 1,736 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Cryptic are greedy idiots at this point. Not much to add here.

Don't care about the ships regardless of the stats. At this point I want to get some of the ships off the exchange just to discard them.
    PyKDqad.jpg
  • overlapooverlapo Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    They are no worse than Elachi or Tholian ships as far as immersion breakers go.

Interesting stats, but that raptor with the 1.05 shield modifier tells me that there are some "corrections" in store for the blog. Let's see how many, the "cruiser" stats look wrong too.
  • rybaksixrybaksix Member Posts: 193 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    How the hell CBS allowed this to happen.
  • qjuniorqjunior Member Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    phalanx01 wrote: »
    Are those Undine ships a bad joke? I thought the Hirogen ones were bad but at least they were DIFFERENT ships. These seem to be identical save for some minor stat tweaks.

There is obviously some copy/paste thing going on because they are completely identical, except for the console listed. :D
  • beerxhyperbeerxhyper Member Posts: 676 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    it really does not bother me SINCE nothing in canon says we can not fly other ships if u really wanna get into it watch star trek 4 the voyage home the enterprise crew fly a klingon bird of prey and kdf are alien ships NOT a art of starfleet so in all i am not surprised WHAT i do wanna know is how strong that consoles beam attack is lol.

• suavekssuaveks Member Posts: 1,736 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    rybaksix wrote: »
    $$$$$$

/10char
    PyKDqad.jpg
  • stf65stf65 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    CBS doesn't own the rights to the book ships. It took cryptic over a year to get the license to the vesta from Rademaker; and it cost cryptic money too. Why should they give money away when most of the fans haven't read any of the books? I've been a star trek fan my whole life and I've never read a book. At least when they create their own ships they're not throwing money away in license fees.
  • riccardo171riccardo171 Member Posts: 1,802 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    They are going to be my priority target in PvP. From stats they look weird, 14 turn isn't much for such ship. Closest example is Fleet MVAE, that shares many similarities especially console layout. It maneuvers much better and can potentially zap around with Beta command, 0.01 shield mod of difference is nothing, has LtComm science as well, just 400 HP of difference on hull (again, remarkably low as difference). It's still better suited for attack runs.

Has enhanced hull regeneration (still, we gotta see how much it is) and a LtComm uni. Lobi counterpart is nearly identical. Their strength will rely on LtComm uni given to engineering but still, I can't see much use of it.

Hopefully people realizing that they're not that great won't spam them around Sol System or elsewhere. Really people, there are much better ships. I'll bring Scimitar as example, try to beat that and then we'll talk :cool:

Nothing else to see here, moving on...
    beerxhyper wrote: »
    it really does not bother me SINCE nothing in canon says we can not fly other ships if u really wanna get into it watch star trek 4 the voyage home the enterprise crew fly a klingon bird of prey and kdf are alien ships NOT a art of starfleet so in all i am not surprised WHAT i do wanna know is how strong that consoles beam attack is lol.

Do you even realize what you're talking about? A bird of prey is still made for humanoid, there's no problem in flying it, like Kira in DS9 helping Dukat in seizing control of a BoP as well.
  • hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    The blog doesn't even look complete. Maybe it was pre-maturely released. No post on the news section yet.
  • stf65stf65 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    rybaksix wrote: »
    It's a lockbox ship. Less then 1% of the players will get one. That fits cbs' criteria for alien ships.
    edited April 2014

They obviously copied and pasted stats and then didn't bother to edit them properly. The post was either thrown together at the last second, or they mistakenly posted an older work in progress version of the page.
  • askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Hey folks. I've merged a few things together and we can use this as the discussion thread for the 8472 lockbox information at this time.

For those wondering, I've also gone ahead and edited the first post to include the link to the dev blog :)
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

• worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    NNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

While admittedly the new mirror ships look great, I HATEHATEHATE the lockbox/lobi bioships.

I HATE the very idea of flying one. Some things should stay enemy-only...
  • trek21trek21 Member Posts: 2,246 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Copy + Paste saves a lot of trouble, and helps with adjustments

Forgetting the small adjustments before the blog was posted has happened before, and it won't be the last time :D It's pretty funny
    shpoks wrote: »
    There are no words that exist in any language of the world, nor in Star Trek, that can describe the utter faliure that is this blog. Are kindergarten kids working on this game nowdays?

Also, does anyone else find it interesting that there's no forum discussion availible about this blog in the 'General News Network'?
    Obviously it was released early, before completely finished

These things happen, so better to laugh over it imo
    Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    There are no words that exist in any language of the world, nor in Star Trek, that can describe the utter faliure that is this blog. Are kindergarten kids working on this game nowdays?

Also, does anyone else find it interesting that there's no forum discussion availible about this blog in the 'General News Network'?
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • redsnake721redsnake721 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Just imagine. Where you choose a race when you start the game. And depending on what race you choose thats what ships you can choose from. So Breen get Breen ships, Romulan get Romulan ships, Tholian gets Tholian Ships. You get the point. Each race having special traits/skill/abilities that make them special. But none being to powerful or un-balanced as to funnel the playerbase into one particular race . Each having their pros and cons. Ahh to only dream.
  • phalanx01phalanx01 Member Posts: 360 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    trek21 wrote: »
    Copy + Paste saves a lot of trouble, and helps with adjustments

Forgetting the small adjustments before the blog was posted has happened before, and it won't be the last time :D It's pretty funny imo

It must be a typo, if they are actually identical... whoa...
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2014
    I bet Captainsmirk leaves discussing any new doffs in the lockbox until the very last moment or forgets about it until after it's released.

Why?

All these blog posts are copy/paste jobs. He should just make one that covers everything and use that one for future copy/pastes.
  • worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    lucho80 wrote: »
    I bet Captainsmirk leaves discussing any new doffs in the lockbox until the very last moment or forgets about it until after it's released.

I don't even want to THINK about Undine doffs. EVER.