test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

'Loch Ness Monster' found on mobile map app???

hawkwing43hawkwing43 Member Posts: 1,701 Arc User
edited April 2014 in Ten Forward
I bet someone is going to say FAKE!. lol Go have a look, and tells us what you think.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/10775966/Has-Apple-maps-found-the-Loch-Ness-Monster.html
Post edited by hawkwing43 on

Comments

• ghyudtghyudt Member Posts: 1,112 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Experts at the official loch ness monster fan club? Oh joy, so high school and college students consider themselves experts now. Wonderful. 50 bucks says this was added in to increase attention.
  • z3ndor99z3ndor99 Member Posts: 1,391 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Well I have a human reaction to this story " destroy it, kill it!!! "
  • worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Too uneven to be a wake, unless someone was pulling powerslides.

Looks like either a funny reflection of a cloud or maybe some oil on the lake surface.
    But of course we all know the TRUTH (tm)!!!!!11!!!!one!!!!1! That is one of Sovereign Ba'al's glorious mutant attack squid!

Hail Ba'al!

:D
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2014
    4DScout? Is that you?
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Looks like a whale shark.
    Doubtful if its a 100 feet long.
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
  • astro2244astro2244 Member Posts: 623 Arc User
    edited April 2014
  • redsnake721redsnake721 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Looks like a ship and it wake.
  • hevachhevach Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    This thing is 100 feet long. That's 7 times larger than the largest purported Nessie sightings, and would be the largest animal in the world - it's been years since a blue whale over 98 feet has been measured.
    worffan101 wrote: »
    Too uneven to be a wake, unless someone was pulling powerslides.

Or slowing down unevenly. There's two distinct wakes, the V, (caused by a boat traveling faster than its wake), which doesn't meet in the middle because the boat decelerated suddenly. Ahead of that you have a U shaped wake about as wide as the break in the V, consistent with a boat traveling slower than its wake.

Not the sort of wake a good driver would leave, but you get a lot of drunk idiots on any small freshwater body with public access.

I had to look up this fan club. They've had two really, really silly "weird waves must be Nessie" stunts in the last few years. Last year they promoted a Youtube video of what was plainly two swans, claiming it to be a swan and the monster.

And they're big fans of George Edwards, who is probably the most brazen cryptozoological hoaxter (Rick Dyer, who's toured the country three times passing off the same cheap halloween costume as a dead bigfoot gives him a good run for his money), like reusing props from his documentary on how he faked his pictures. The entire club combined has less critical thinking skills than my cat (who at stopped trying to jump into the TV after getting hurt twice).
  • tenkaritenkari Member Posts: 2,906 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Looks like someones cropped the boat out of a picture. or it's got something similar to the Reflective panels the SHIELD helicarrier had from the avengers movie.
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Wow... It's been found... Again... again... again... again... again... again... again... again... again... again... again... again... again... again... again... again... again... again... again... again... again... again... again... again... again... again... again... again... again... again...
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • steamwrightsteamwright Member Posts: 2,820
    edited April 2014
    anazonda wrote: »
    Wow... It's been found... Again... again... again... again... again... again... again... again... again... again... again... again... again... again... again... again... again... again... again... again... again... again... again... again... again... again... again... again... again... again...

One of these days, we're actually going to find an x-creature and none of us will believe it even then. ;)

I do so love x-creature hunt & controversy. If for no other reason than that every once in a blood moon, we actually find one. Orangutans, Riwoche horses, komodo dragons, okapi, gorillas, all were once the stuff of legends. I'm seriously hoping we find a thylacine pack soon.

Regarding the latest Nessie "sighting", no one would like it to be real more than me (well, maybe the members of the Loch Ness tourist commission), but I don't believe they've eliminated all the impossibles yet, so its jumping the gun to consider the improbable as truth. They did take it to some people who apparently know boats and the Loch well, so that's a start. If the info is accurate and what is pictured is not a surface feature, that's another interesting point to consider.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Cryptids are a fun subject... like the Kraken(aka giant squid).... It was once considered to be a myth.... now we know differently.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • grandnaguszek1grandnaguszek1 Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I honestly don't think it's a boat wake. If you look at the sides and edges of the object then they probably should be capped with a little bit of whitewater on top of the wakes, similar to the white specks you see in the water around the "thing". It kind of looks like light might be reflecting of the sides and the front of it but I find it interesting how it sorta fades out in the back.
    I'm no boat or lighting expert so I'm just stating what I can observe about the object and compare it to other things I have seen.

What I do find interesting about it however is that in the middle of it, there is kind of a separate oval shape on top of it. Any guests as to what that might be.

(Puts on tinfoil hat and awaits a response).
    say-star-wars-is-better.jpg
  • tpalelenatpalelena Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    bitemepwe wrote: »
    Looks like a whale shark.
    Doubtful if its a 100 feet long.

Yep, seems like a very low definition picture of a whale shark.
    Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    *walks in*

It's a FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKKKKEEEE

*walks out*
    GwaoHAD.png
  • captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    hawkwing43 wrote: »
    I bet someone is going to say FAKE!.

Probably because no such creature, or any actual evidence has ever been found so that is the most likely answer.

i dont know if this is a fake or not (ie photoshoped) but i put this up there with the face on mars that got a few people excited, that turned out to be nothing of the sort. just the angle, the lighting, the resolution and our brains fooling us.
    edited April 2014
    tpalelena wrote: »
    Yep, seems like a very low definition picture of a whale shark.

Loch Ness is freshwater and its only sea access is River Ness, which in some areas is shallow enough to wade accross. A whale shark couldn't reach it, not that it matters since they are not euryhaline and couldn't survive in it. Also, whale sharks bask and the volume of water required to feed a single one naturally exceeds the volume of Loch Ness, and I don't even want to think how much it would cost me to go down to the pet store and buy that much bottled plankton - my dragon goby costs me $10 a month and he's only about a foot long and skinny.

Anyway, here's a fun set of images: https://www.metabunk.org/threads/debunked-photo-of-nessie-in-apple-maps-satellite-image-of-loch-ness-boat.3474/

The Jacobite Queen, which patrols Loch Ness, leaves a distinctive double wake with a leading U and trailing V (common in a boat this size - I was trying to figure out how a small power boat could make a wake like that and overlooked the obvious), and at the resolutions and contrast used by Apple Maps is nearly invisible except for its wake and outline.

Edited with the more complete link with tons more evidence, particularly note the last image - even though the stitching process mostly lost the ship (it was in the bottom layer but not the top layer), it's still partially visible with a simple photoshop filter.
  • voporakvoporak Member Posts: 5,621 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I know my friend Photoshop... and his content aware fill option tells me you can quite easily take a boat out of a low res pic like that.
    I ask nothing but that you remember me.
  • voporakvoporak Member Posts: 5,621 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Now I won't get into whether it was shopped or not, because I don't care for that kind of argument. However, in about 1 minute I whipped up this, from a picture I found on Google images.

http://s1347.photobucket.com/user/AdmiralVoporak/media/Misc/Boat-comparison_zps983003b4.png.html

All that involved was drawing a selection circle around the boat and using the content-aware fill. If the supposed Nessie is in fact a removed boat wake, similar content aware methods or the clone stamp tool (copies pixels from a selected area and you can draw them on other parts of the image) might have been used.
    I ask nothing but that you remember me.
    edited April 2014
    They aren't saying it's photoshopped, only that it's stitched together from two images, both of which were low resolution with poor contrast, and one of which had even worse visibility due to haze.

They used photoshop to crank up the contrast on the map and the boat became partially visible, and they also used photoshop on a picture of the actual boat (turn down contrast, lower the resolution, and stitch it together with a patch of empty water) to produce an identical image - the only difference between theirs and the map image is that, since theirs is at a lower angle and not top-down, the contour illusion breaks and it looks like a flat feature of the water and not an object beneath it.
    edited April 2014
    No wonder it didn't look like a boat wake! They screwed around with the contrast of picture so there was no definable details.

Please ignore my other post about it not being a wake, that was before I knew that the pictures contrast was messed up.

And also I must send this vital information to the Nessie fan club:http://m.youtube.com/index?&desktop_uri=%2F#/watch?v=7qKcJF4fOPs
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    hawkwing43 wrote: »
    I bet someone is going to say FAKE!

Well, let's just get this out of the way.
    Cryptids are a fun subject... like the Kraken(aka giant squid).... It was once considered to be a myth.... now we know differently.

We used to think that Beelzebub planted dinosaur bones to shake the beliefs of the faithful.

... and that the sun revolved around the Earth.

... and that Polybius was a real arcade game.

... and that the Earth sits on a bunch of elephants which in turn sit on a giant tortoise.

... and that dinosaurs co-existed with humans.

... and that the pyramids were built by people from outer space.

... and that objects rich in phlogiston should not be left near open flame.

... and that Russell's Teapot really does exist.

... and that the Earth is flat.

... and that Walt Disney is cryogenically frozen underneath Disneyworld.

... and that gold is just a Philosopher's Stone away.

... and that the only real periodic table of elements consists of Earth, Water, Air, Fire, and Aether.

... and that the moon landing was a hoax.

... and that dark forces conspire from the Bermuda Triangle.

... and storks carry babies.

... and Atlantis is sitting at the bottom of the sea waiting to be discovered.

... and Homunculus is how life really began.

... and reincarnation is a thing.

... and the illuminati rule the world.

... and Paul Bunyan and Babe the Blue Ox were real.

... and volcanoes are a major source of corrupting spirits.

... and tiny demons are behind every sneeze.

... and dowsing rods are a legitimate form of finding water.

... and the fountain of youth is just waiting to be found.

... and lizard people control the world's governments.

... and that the earth is actually hollow on the inside.

... and that balancing the four humors is the secret to health.

... and that unicorns are invisible which is proof they're magic.

... and that Elvis is alive.

... and that the female gender was magically created from one of the ribs of the male gender.

... and that the rain follows the plow.

... and that removing 'bad blood' (via bloodletting) to encourage the good blood to stay was how you cured disease (just ask George Washington).

... and that things in STO were not part of a master plot by the Iconians.

Asking the Loch Ness Monster Fan Club whether or not something is or is not the Loch Ness Monster is like asking the biggest tobacco companies in congress whether or not cigarette smoking is addictive.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Do we have any actual proof, like in the metadata of the image, for example, of the image's provenance? Or is it just some twerp's say-so?
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
    edited April 2014
    iconians wrote: »
    Well, let's just get this out of the way.

We used to think that Beelzebub planted dinosaur bones to shake the beliefs of the faithful.

... and that the sun revolved around the Earth.

... and that Polybius was a real arcade game.

... and that the Earth sits on a bunch of elephants which in turn sit on a giant tortoise.

... and that dinosaurs co-existed with humans.

... and that the pyramids were built by people from outer space.

... and that objects rich in phlogiston should not be left near open flame.

... and that Russell's Teapot really does exist.

... and that the Earth is flat.

... and that Walt Disney is cryogenically frozen underneath Disneyworld.

... and that gold is just a Philosopher's Stone away.

... and that the only real periodic table of elements consists of Earth, Water, Air, Fire, and Aether.

... and that the moon landing was a hoax.

... and that dark forces conspire from the Bermuda Triangle.

... and storks carry babies.

... and Atlantis is sitting at the bottom of the sea waiting to be discovered.

... and Homunculus is how life really began.

... and reincarnation is a thing.

... and the illuminati rule the world.

... and Paul Bunyan and Babe the Blue Ox were real.

... and volcanoes are a major source of corrupting spirits.

... and tiny demons are behind every sneeze.

... and dowsing rods are a legitimate form of finding water.

... and the fountain of youth is just waiting to be found.

... and lizard people control the world's governments.

... and that the earth is actually hollow on the inside.

... and that balancing the four humors is the secret to health.

... and that unicorns are invisible which is proof they're magic.

... and that Elvis is alive.

... and that the female gender was magically created from one of the ribs of the male gender.

... and that the rain follows the plow.

... and that removing 'bad blood' (via bloodletting) to encourage the good blood to stay was how you cured disease (just ask George Washington).

... and that things in STO were not part of a master plot by the Iconians.

Asking the Loch Ness Monster Fan Club whether or not something is or is not the Loch Ness Monster is like asking the biggest tobacco companies in congress whether or not cigarette smoking is addictive.
    I suppose the next big thing is going to be that Michal Jackson isn't dead but got abducted by aliens and is on the same ship as Elvis.
    edited April 2014
    I suppose the next big thing is going to be that Michal Jackson isn't dead but got abducted by aliens and is on the same ship as Elvis.

I read that he was being hidden in the same FBI safehouse as Tupac.

Sadly, that's not something I made up, I actually read that.
    edited April 2014
    hevach wrote: »
    I read that he was being hidden in the same FBI safehouse as Tupac.

Sadly, that's not something I made up, I actually read that.

Why am I not surprised....:rolleyes:
  • jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    capnkirk4 wrote: »
    Looks like a photoshopped catfish to me. The loch ness monster was proved to be a hoax.

http://www.museumofhoaxes.com/hoax/photo_database/image/the_surgeons_photo/

No, that photo was proved to be a hoax.

Not that I'm saying there is a Loch Ness Monster. The lake is glacial in origin, utterly landlocked, and was never at any point connected to the sea. No way anything ancient like a relict dinosaur could even be there, or any way sturgeons (that could easily be mistaken for a monster, especially at large sizes) could get there. I'm 100% convinced there's no Loch Ness Monster to be found.

Bigfoot, on the other hand...
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2014
    jexsamx wrote: »
    Bigfoot, on the other hand...

In Loch Ness :confused:.

Won't it get wet?
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!