test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Literary Challenge #62 Discussion Thread

Comments

• ambassadormolariambassadormolari Member Posts: 709 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Huzzah, I can post again! (Does victory dance)

No idea if people still want to do the online thing, since our ability to communicate was kind of cut short. Also, I may be seeing my sister off on her trip back to Ottawa today. If we are going to do it, though, what time would be best for everyone?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Maybe set up multiple meet-ups? All of us can't be online at the same time (most maybe ;) ). If I had my way it would be after 9:30 PM EST. Pick and day and I'll work it to be there.
  • grylakgrylak Member Posts: 1,594 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    That would be 2:30am for me. Needless to say, would have to be earlier for me to turn up.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
    edited April 2014
    Hmm, perhaps we should postpone it, then, in favour of a week where the forum isn't acting wonky and we can coordinate things better.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Well I wanted to do the interview with Kathryn but jonsills beat me to that idea :eek: (well done btw!). So I'm playing around with some inter-personal ideas in my head.

SInce I have already revealed my interaction with Brandon, then I switched it up a little to explain why Kathryn is still Captain. Thank you Brandon for that excuse :P

Cast:
    Kathryn Beringer - Rachel Nichols
    Staza Murai - Sarah Lind
  • marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Well I wanted to do the interview with Kathryn but jonsills beat me to that idea :eek: (well done btw!). So I'm playing around with some inter-personal ideas in my head.

SInce I have already revealed my interaction with Brandon, then I switched it up a little to explain why Kathryn is still Captain. Thank you Brandon for that excuse :P

Cast:
    Kathryn Beringer - Rachel Nichols
    Staza Murai - Sarah Lind

That's a really nice little scene :cool:
  • destroyer831642destroyer831642 Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Here's a question, what is surgery in Star Trek capable of? More specifically, can it repair severed spinal cords?
    9621eea4-a1f5-4e30-bb61-da044da2a5a7_zps2t6tasgd.png

edited April 2014
    Here's a question, what is surgery in Star Trek capable of? More specifically, can it repair severed spinal cords?

Technically 'yes'

In TNG, a genetronic replicator was used to create a replacement for Worf's spinal cord when his back was broken. However, it should also be noted that he flatlined on the table, and only survived the procedure due to the multiple redundancies of Klingon anatomy. A Human patient might simply have died and been impossible to resuscitate...
    edited April 2014
    Technically 'yes'

In TNG, a genetronic replicator was used to create a replacement for Worf's spinal cord when his back was broken. However, it should also be noted that he flatlined on the table, and only survived the procedure due to the multiple redundancies of Klingon anatomy. A Human patient might simply have died and been impossible to resuscitate...

Interesting...It's going to be interesting because the character in question is a Liberated Borg, and given that, "I'm a writer, not a doctor!" I don't know what effect a severed spinal cord (from a new Undine wrist blade in particular) would have on him.

• worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Interesting...It's going to be interesting because the character in question is a Liberated Borg, and given that, "I'm a writer, not a doctor!" I don't know what effect a severed spinal cord (from an Undine wrist blade in particular) would have on him.

Depends on how much of the spinal column has been replaced with fibro-neural interface cabling.

If he's still mostly implants, he'll just need a decent engineer. If his spine is biological...not good.
    edited April 2014
    worffan101 wrote: »
    Depends on how much of the spinal column has been replaced with fibro-neural interface cabling.

If he's still mostly implants, he'll just need a decent engineer. If his spine is biological...not good.

It looks like the former, given he is an STF Borg Sci BOFF http://sto.gamepedia.com/Borg_Science_Bridge_Officer_Candidate

and it appears that his legs are all but completely mechanical, and his spine shows that the possibility of being mostly implanted is high. so the only real danger is from the blade itself, which I have no idea what effects, if any the new Undine wrist blades have.

edited April 2014
    It looks like the former, given he is an STF Borg Sci BOFF http://sto.gamepedia.com/Borg_Science_Bridge_Officer_Candidate

and it appears that his legs are all but completely mechanical, and his spine shows that the possibility of being mostly implanted is high. so the only real danger is from the blade itself, which I have no idea what effects, if any the new Undine wrist blades have.

So probably OK, with some infection of Undine cells.
    edited April 2014
    worffan101 wrote: »
    So probably OK, with some infection of Undine cells.

Which will probably be eliminated quickly via the Nanoprobes.

edited April 2014
    and THEN I read what they can do, HOLY ****! http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Species_8472 Wisel could ACTUALLY be in trouble!

• superhombre777superhombre777 Member Posts: 147 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    For my entry I decided to mix things up a little and make BranFlakes a lowly commander. Or maybe he isn't what he appears to be on the surface...
    edited April 2014
    Calling it, Undine infiltrator!

• jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,360 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    So, hombre, when do we get part 2?
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    edited April 2014
    For my entry I decided to mix things up a little and make BranFlakes a lowly commander. Or maybe he isn't what he appears to be on the surface...

Just when I think ch'Raul couldn't be any more of a pimp... :cool:
    edited April 2014
    jonsills wrote: »
    So, hombre, when do we get part 2?

I'm not sure that a second part is needed. I image BranFlakes like Elias Vaughan - someone who doesn't need a high rank in order to get a lot of important things done. Sometimes a high rank just draws the enemy's attention.

But I really need to get back in the swing of writing and reading other people's work again. I've been off on other tangents for a long time.

A lot of the other entries are nice and sentimental. I'm not sure how to provide constructive criticism...I'll have to get back to that.
    edited April 2014
    Dude. ch'Raul learned something about all those shuttlecraft that caused him to not only drop his inquiry, but erase all records of it and order the only other person present to forget it ever happened. You have to let the audience know what's going on at some point - the story isn't over until then. It doesn't even have to involve Branflakes; he might just be a name that came up at one point. But there are a lot more shuttles out there than there ought to be, and the station commander is acting squirrely as hell, and I for one would really like to know why.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • drajoradrajora Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    And I'm back! I have missed far too many of these challenges.

We're once again with Captain Bh'ypiv of the Excelsior-class USS Rampart for this story.

As always, comments, criticisms and plot-hole analysis is welcome.
    edited April 2014
    drajora wrote: »

We're once again with Captain Bh'ypiv of the Excelsior-class USS Rampart for this story.

An Excelsior-class starship assigned to routine Sol system patrol and mapping the Oort cloud? Who did Bh'ypiv tick off?

Other than that, good story.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    edited April 2014
    drajora wrote: »

Welcome back, that's a fantastic entry :cool:
    edited April 2014
    Dude. ch'Raul learned something about all those shuttlecraft that caused him to not only drop his inquiry, but erase all records of it and order the only other person present to forget it ever happened. You have to let the audience know what's going on at some point - the story isn't over until then. It doesn't even have to involve Branflakes; he might just be a name that came up at one point. But there are a lot more shuttles out there than there ought to be, and the station commander is acting squirrely as hell, and I for one would really like to know why.

Good point. I have a good working theory that I need to flesh out some more.
  • drajoradrajora Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    An Excelsior-class starship assigned to routine Sol system patrol and mapping the Oort cloud? Who did Bh'ypiv tick off?

Other than that, good story.

Heh. Lets see, The entire Republic government, two Starfleet Admirals, and a Section 31 operative. And he also got Vulcan High Command to label him as 'illogical'.

I've got the ending and barebones of how he managed that impressive litany written out. Finishing it up is the challenge right now.
    edited April 2014
    and that is part 2, ready for your reading pleasure.

edited April 2014
    Sigh, so it seems this year has been awful for me, in terms of both writing LCs and reading them.

I really don't know what it is. Even though I've wanted to expand on the adventures of my characters, I just haven't found the energy lately to write anything unless I really force myself. Ditto for reading the LCs, for some reason I just haven't had the time or will to do so. Which is a pity, because I know I'm missing out on a lot of really good entries.

I'll try to get an LC finished (or at least post some feedback) before Tuesday, but at this point I wouldn't be surprised if I managed neither.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2014
    Sigh, so it seems this year has been awful for me, in terms of both writing LCs and reading them.

I really don't know what it is. Even though I've wanted to expand on the adventures of my characters, I just haven't found the energy lately to write anything unless I really force myself. Ditto for reading the LCs, for some reason I just haven't had the time or will to do so. Which is a pity, because I know I'm missing out on a lot of really good entries.

I'll try to get an LC finished (or at least post some feedback) before Tuesday, but at this point I wouldn't be surprised if I managed neither.

Well, new LC on Tuesday, and it'll be a community topic if Smirk sticks to form (as I believe he will). That ought to give your creativity a boost...
  • danquellerdanqueller Member Posts: 501 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Okay....got mine posted up.

I tried quite a few attempts to figure out how to get Rycho and crew to attend, but in the end I kept coming up with the simple fact that they have their own task to do and would not be able to sidetrack it for a retirement ceremony.

So, I decided to switch to a character/crew who have appeared several times in Rycho's stories (the most recent one being the last LC, where they blew their cover as Starfleet Officers to help Rycho save the Republic).

Enjoy!
    edited April 2014
    danqueller wrote: »
    Okay....got mine posted up.

I tried quite a few attempts to figure out how to get Rycho and crew to attend, but in the end I kept coming up with the simple fact that they have their own task to do and would not be able to sidetrack it for a retirement ceremony.

So, I decided to switch to a character/crew who have appeared several times in Rycho's stories (the most recent one being the last LC, where they blew their cover as Starfleet Officers to help Rycho save the Republic).

Enjoy!

Excellent twist on the mirrors :cool: