test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Tip on a Star Trek novel to read

apulseapulse Member Posts: 456 Arc User
edited April 2014 in Ten Forward
So I have just had surgery and will the next couple of weeks not be able to do anything useful. I was going through the Play Store on Android and saw a large sum of Star Trek novels. Never read a Star Trek novel and wonder if any of you guys has anyone you think I should put my money to?

Thanks
21ajpqt.png
Post edited by apulse on

Comments

• Options
    admiraltrappittadmiraltrappitt Member Posts: 444 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    The best one I have read is Rise Like Lions, or anything else by David Mack.
    Proad admin of the Star Trek Battles channel. Join today!

I actually like Delta Rising.
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2014
    'A Stich in Time' by Andrew Robinson.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    The Romulan Prize
  • Options
    worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    "My Enemy, My Ally".

And yes, I'm back!
  • Options
    organicmanfredorganicmanfred Member Posts: 3,236 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Worffan! Hey yo Worffan!
  • Options
    ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I'm currently reading through Star Trek Destiny, and enjoying it. I'd definitely recommend Gods of Night.
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2014
    worffan101 wrote: »
    And yes, I'm back!

You were gone?

:P
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    captainoblivouscaptainoblivous Member Posts: 2,284 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    "Indistinguishable from magic" is my favourite, though I must admit a certain fondness for the Shatnerverse novels too.

I've also heard that "A stitch in time" is really good, as is "Q & A".
    Funny I should mention that last one on this forum :D
    I need a beer.

• Options
    jeffel82jeffel82 Member Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Peter David's New Frontier series is fun.
    You're right. The work here is very important.
    tacofangs wrote: »
    ...talking to players is like being a mall Santa. Everyone immediately wants to tell you all of the things they want, and you are absolutely powerless to deliver 99% of them.
  • Options
    redsnake721redsnake721 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    ryan218 wrote: »
    I'm currently reading through Star Trek Destiny, and enjoying it. I'd definitely recommend Gods of Night.

The Destiny trilogy is the best I have ever read. But Anything by David Mack is awesome. But Destiny is just spectacular.
  • Options
    verlaine11verlaine11 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    ryan218 wrote: »

The Typhon Pact series is a great follow up to the Destiny series and is very believable in the way things start to take shape, it has a lot of familiar characters and locations as each book deals with different aspects of the pact and captains like Riker in the Titan, Picard, Dax
  • Options
    grandnaguszek1grandnaguszek1 Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    How about the "A Time To" series. I've only read A Time To Kill and it was good.
    say-star-wars-is-better.jpg
  • Options
    bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I really like the "Department of Temporal Investigations" books by Christopher L. Bennett.

"Watching the Clock" and "Forgotten History" are THE best Star Trek time travel stories ever written, in my opinion.

Bennett weaves in darn near every single time travel reference in every tv show and movie, plus elements of some of the books in the Destiny series. All of those implausible one-off time travel stories get put into a believably unified context.

They are must reads if you have any interest at all in time travel in the Trek universe.

EDIT: In order, you should read "Watching the Clock" and then "Forgotten History". You do not need to have read any other Trek novels to make sense of these books.

That, is, provided you can untangle the complex chronology... ;)
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • Options
    midyin84midyin84 Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Are these books in any specific order? like can he just pick up and read any of them or dose he have to read a bunch of other ones for the story to make sense in the ones you named so far?
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    No one has yet recommended John M. Ford's "The Final Reflection"? Fie on you all! (And as it takes place before TOS, with throwaway mentions of Spock as a child and a man named McCoy who has to go home to change his grandson Leonard's diaper, it can just be picked up and read at any time. The downside is that you, too, might wind up wishing they'd used these Klingons in TNG and later.)

I know there's a list online somewhere of the order in which Diane Duane's Rihannsu novels are to be read, but I don't recall offhand where. They're worth it, though - my personal favorite is "The Romulan Way".

And as a general rule, if Peter David is listed as the author of a work, it's a good read.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Star Trek: Federation by Judith and Garfield Reeves-Stevens. Standalone TOS/TNG crossover taking place after "Journey to Babel" and "Sarek" respectively. Also subtle continuity TRIBBLE pulling in minor chronology details from all over the franchise (including stuff that wouldn't come up until DS9).

Extremely well-written, although it gives a very different (and IMHO, more technically sensible) backstory for Zefram Cochrane than what First Contact eventually came up with (it was written after Generations).
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    midyin84 wrote: »
    Are these books in any specific order? like can he just pick up and read any of them or dose he have to read a bunch of other ones for the story to make sense in the ones you named so far?

I believe Star Trek: Resistance takes place before the Destiny trilogy. Resistance was the first Star Trek novel I ever read. It's an enjoyable read; it starts off where Nemesis ends. But you can enjoy Destiny just as well without it. It took me about 7 chapters to realise they were even referencing Resistance.

There's also numerous references to the Titan books and the Romulan Wars books, but there's only one or two minor plot points on the Titan that you wouldn't get if you didn't read the Titan series (indeed, I didn't), and Mack does a great job of filling the reader in when he brings these plot points up.
  • Options
    worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    verlaine11 wrote: »
    The Typhon Pact series is a great follow up to the Destiny series and is very believable in the way things start to take shape, it has a lot of familiar characters and locations as each book deals with different aspects of the pact and captains like Riker in the Titan, Picard, Dax

Actually, Typhon Pact IMHO is poorly written and full of poor fanservice. The Aventine is cool, but the novels are full of multiple internal and external inconsistencies, most of which are only there because Plot. For example, some minor baddies hack the Enterprise's computers in like 30 minutes...but in a previous book, the freaking Borg couldn't hack the Enterprise.

Diane Duane is my only Trek novel recommendation. Destiny is OK, I suppose, but it gets labored in its attempts to be epic, and Typhon Pact just...falls apart. To the point that I actually greatly prefer the STO storyline, problematic as it is.
  • Options
    llywarchllywarch Member Posts: 224 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Pick up the First Star Trek: Vanguard book. Its super good.

http://www.amazon.com/Harbinger-Star-Trek-Vanguard-David/dp/1416507744

You will end up wanting to read the rest.
  • Options
    theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,986 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • Options
      eldarion79eldarion79 Member Posts: 1,679 Arc User
      edited April 2014
      Indistinguishable from Magic, The Final Reflection, the Rihannsu Series, the Crucible Trilogy, A Stitch in Time, and the Ashes of Eden (the only Shatner book that I enjoyed).

Vanguard, the Gorkon series, and the Starfleet Corp of Engineers series are very well written.

The Destiny series and the The Romulan War series both suffer from the same thing, they both read as summaries for their events rather than good viewpoints on dark times in Earth's future history.

Imho, I really don't care for the Destiny series. There are some points where the major characters just start whining about not exploring, not reminiscing, and of course the don't tarnish Data's memory scene is terrible. However, the follow up books A Singular Destiny, Full Circle, and Losing the Peace are quite good.
    • Options
      timelords1701timelords1701 Member Posts: 556 Arc User
      edited April 2014
      Imzadi, also The Invasion series with the fury's which i believe the fek'lhri are based upon, Q squared with Q and trelayne aka the squire of gothos, but all in all most books peter david wrote are brilliant and stick in your minds for years to come..
      damn wish i had the time to be able to read these days...
    • Options
      gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
      edited April 2014
      I am in the same odd position of actually preferring the STO timeline to what eventually happened with the novelverse; when the DS9 novels went off the rails (happened early on, though the early relaunch including the parasite crisis was awesome), the whole thing IMO just lost focus.

My favorites are pretty much any of Diane Duane's TOS novels--and my favorite is actually The Wounded Sky, which is a stand-alone and easily one of the best books I've read. Had it not been marketed as Trek, I honestly feel like it would have been up for a lot of awards. I will second the recommendation for The Final Reflection and the wish the Klingons had followed that path on the show as opposed to what we got. (Though we did get the Cardassians, who picked up in the same vein as the old TOS Klingons.)

I have a DS9 recommendation I am willing to bet many of you haven't heard of, and that is novel 6 of the original DS9 (pre-relaunch), titled Betrayal, by Lois Tilton. Bear in mind it was written before the first season of DS9 had even fully aired, which makes it even more remarkable how well the author captured the characters--right down to predicting Garak's ability to do something surprising that he actually DID do a few seasons later. In fact, Tilton's original character of Berat is where I get my STO main from, as well as inspiring a lot of work I wrote elsewhere involving a different version of Berat from the one I carried into STO.

A print copy may be hard to find, but it is available for purchase as an ebook.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
      Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.