test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Remember those good old days?

jumpingjsjumpingjs Member Posts: 0 Arc User
Of just after F2P ... when we got one (YES , ONE!) new thing every week.

I loved that.

I prefer that to massive unload of content.
Hopefully I'll come back from my break; this break is fun; I play intellectual games.

I hope STO get's better ...
Post edited by jumpingjs on

Comments

• blakes7tvseriesblakes7tvseries Member Posts: 704 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Everywhere I go Im shocked by the lack of players.

It does make you wonder what it would be like if had weekly content.

Real feedback I get from players in two fleets.

They want to have fun, they choose not to grind they just want content.

Sorry to say the New Romulus, Dyson, Nukara even the new zone is not fun.

You don't need
    download.jpg
  • bendalekbendalek Member Posts: 1,781 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Everywhere I go Im shocked by the lack of players.

It does make you wonder what it would be like if had weekly content.

Real feedback I get from players in two fleets.

They want to have fun, they choose not to grind they just want content.

Sorry to say the New Romulus, Dyson, Nukara even the new zone is not fun.

You don't need
    Oh, hoho hohhhhh, Oh,, hoho, hohhhhh
    My%20STO%20Sig%20Clear_zps5etu86s1.png
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I remember... fun times.

Haven't played the game since early January, is it worth DL'n the updates since then and getting back into it?
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Remember those good old days, when you could just slap Omni-Gel on everything?!
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    jumpingjs wrote: »
    Of just after F2P ...
    I preferred the good ol' days of before F2P.
  • thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited April 2014

Same here, especially September 2010 - February 2011, the golden times of FE Series (where they made 3 of them)

I found the "one thing every week" - statement after F2P pretty hilarious, because it was mostly stuff like minor C-Store / Lockbox Items (they didn't even manage to keep this "promise"), and I'm not sure how its ANY different from now ... we just got Junior Off. Weekend, after First Contact Day, after the new Mirror Event etc ...

Content creation was pretty down between S4 - S6, so I have to take this Thread as misguided nostalgia ...

PS : I challenge the OP to name three "new things" he really enjoyed (Q1 2012), afaik Season 5 was the worst season ever ...

PPS : Some pearls from Early 2012 :
    - Anniversary Event (sounds oddly familiar)
    - Yellowstone Shuttle (good thing, there was lots & lots of stuff to do with it)
    - Dilithium Mining (350,000 Dil EV Suits, because they had a different color)
    - Cardassian Lockbox (wow new Lockbox, since we never got one after that)
    - First Contact Day (sounds oddly familiar)
    - "Hearts and Minds" (fun little mission, but that's about it)
    - Ferasans (Caitians with Fangs, how could we live without it)

boy those were the Golden Times :P , they should clearly make new shuttles, different colored EV Suits and maybe Bird people, it would change EVERYTHING ....
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited April 2014

The game did feel more intimate back then.
    I suppose, that as with all things, we hate change that takes us out of our comfort zone.

F2P certainly did do that.

I also think that many of the additions to the game since then, weren't as well thought out as many of us longer term players would have liked.

Much of what They have added, while it has added depth to the overall game-play, has also taken away the original story flow that we came to love.

It seems to be a symptom of how online gaming has also changed in the last five years.

The "story" has taken a backseat to gimmicks and to "what-can-we-add-to-the-game-that-players-will-buy".

I just as soon have a more in-depth story line with starships that don't need all the fancy gadgets to survive.

Mind you, this is all just MHO.

:cool:
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I want whatever you guys are using to remember theses good old days ? :confused:

Because since I can remember for the last 4 years of this game The forums have hated every season, every update, every change, every FE that came out, and now all of a sudden we are remembering good old days???

Edit: daveyny Whoa, Now I'm having nostalgia of the forums. :D
    GwaoHAD.png
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    I want whatever you guys are using to remember theses good old days ? :confused:

Because since I can remember for the last 4 years of this game The forums have hated every season, every update, every change, every FE that came out, and now all of a sudden we are remembering good old days???

Edit: daveyny Whoa, Now I'm having nostalgia of the forums. :D

Know what games have forums w/ no rage? The dead ones. ;)
  • eldarion79eldarion79 Member Posts: 1,679 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I like to get in line with neo, before the f2p seasons, season were just big fixes like Season 4 Crossdud or the fact that after the third FE, we got nothing until nearly a year later. I remember when MVAM Prometheus was king of PVP.
  • xapocalypseponyxxapocalypseponyx Member Posts: 577 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I'm nostalgic for the ignorance I had when I joined (F2P).

When the FE's seemed endless. Little did I know when I was doing them that, that was it.

When it seemed each captain had a role in a team. My first being an engineer, I thought it was so cool I could extend my shields around another ship that was receiving a beat-down and was amazed to realize I could send someone else my engineering team. Turns out it wasn't all that necessary then, and even less so in these days of 30K Deeps, super-tanks.

When I knew nothing of ship builds. So many possibilities.

I was so enamored with the whole STO experience, I subscribed for a couple of months, well aware that I did not have to. I think the reason I'm still playing is simply I'm searching for that feeling again.

Not saying I don't still find enjoyable moments mind you. Just kind of miss that sense of adventure, I guess.
  • bughunter357bughunter357 Member Posts: 587 Arc User
    edited April 2014

LOL you're kidding right the lack of content before F2P was even worse than it is now atleast PWE wants Cryptic to add content even if it is end game only where as Atari didn't want to update the game at all.
    * plays Change's by The Scorpions *

Dev's who listened, who kept promises.

New content at regular times.

No grinding fests. No Troll balls, no lock boxes.

When the zone chat was busy and alive.......

* PW presses Time Delete Button *

What.............what, are you all going about, we have never had it any better then now, sheesh!

agreed the game is much better and more populated than it has ever been maybe its time for some to empty out your ignore list and realize that not all the players you ignored were bad after all some yes but not all.
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    daveyny wrote: »
    I remember... fun times.

Haven't played the game since early January, is it worth DL'n the updates since then and getting back into it?

Where have you been? :eek:
  • disposeableh3r0disposeableh3r0 Member Posts: 1,927 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    Remember those good old days, when you could just slap Omni-Gel on everything?!

Lots of people were very upset by that security update.
    As a time traveller, Am I supposed to pack underwear or underwhen?

Not everything you see on the internet is true - Abraham Lincoln

Occidere populo et effercio confractus
  • szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    "Meeeem-riiiiies, like the corners of my miiiiiind." :cool:

Looking back people tend to forget how bad the bad things really were. No I don't think the game used to better at the start of F2P and I wouldn't want to go back. I miss the featured series though. One new mission per half-season just isn't good enough.
  • decroniadecronia Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    mugat0 wrote: »
    Agreed. F2P changed everything. Like a revolving door of new players week after week. Then they disappear. Then a new flock come in. Paid players and lifetimers tend to stay longer.

2cents..

True however 2 cents would be the money they were making. If it wasn't for them going F2P this game would have shut down, which means you wouldn't have had anywhere to stay. Would you have preferred if that had happened? Look what happened to WAR, they wouldn't even go F2P they just waited out their license then closed the game down.

I would like to see them do more story missions. I have enjoyed the sphere story and the ground zone too.
  • anothervisitoranothervisitor Member Posts: 414 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I agree with some people they should do some new story missions (that don't involve any grinding or showcasing a c-store or lobi ship).

I'm currently suffering from something that may be familiar to a lot of players: grind burnout, so I uninstalled the game at this time. And the future looks grim, as they will only add more grind, lobi items, lockboxes and nothing else it seems...
    Tyr shall give me strength!
    For the glory of Tempus!
    I am the hands of Shar!
    Flames of Kossuth, protect me!
    Oghma, grant me knowledge!
    Lolth commands, and I obey!
  • decroniadecronia Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I agree with some people they should do some new story missions (that don't involve any grinding or showcasing a c-store or lobi ship).

I'm currently suffering from something that may be familiar to a lot of players: grind burnout, so I uninstalled the game at this time. And the future looks grim, as they will only add more grind, lobi items, lockboxes and nothing else it seems...

I know and they have shown they can do decent stories recently with the first and last sphere mission stories. I liked both of them, and even repeating them didn't seem like a bad thing even with the enviro suit. After the Cardy arc I was dreading that part, it was a little difficult to get used to the controls at first it was a hell of a lot better.

The only problem I had, and it is minor, was not being able to skip the generator explanation. I even liked the story you got through leveling through the Dyson rep and how it leads to something.

To me the showcase shouldn't be a grind. It should work like when we did the one for the Oddy. Even a story mission made up of three parts would be better than a grind.

When I stop playing a game for a while I don't uninstall it, and update them. That way they are ready when I choose to play again and not have to go through the whole installing and updating thing again. Though disc space is not a concern for me.
  • cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Yes, it seems like only yesterday when the forum was on fire with rage about season 5 F2P bringing in freeloading N00Bs who were destroying this perfect game.:rolleyes:
    Wait a minute......I was one of the "Freeloaders"despite the fact I was addicted to buying PWE gamecards every Friday from my local gamestop.:mad:
  • alonaralonar Member Posts: 280 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Back in my day, we had to level our KDF characters by grinding nebulas or pvping, so I don't want to hear about grind. Also we didn't have doffs, rep, and endgame gear was *shudder* RANDOM drops.
  • disposeableh3r0disposeableh3r0 Member Posts: 1,927 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    alonar wrote: »
    Back in my day, we had to level our KDF characters by grinding nebulas or pvping, so I don't want to hear about grind. Also we didn't have doffs, rep, and endgame gear was *shudder* RANDOM drops.

I still have my first Klingon character. Got it to max before there was content.
    As a time traveller, Am I supposed to pack underwear or underwhen?

Not everything you see on the internet is true - Abraham Lincoln

Occidere populo et effercio confractus
  • roadghostroadghost Member Posts: 394 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I remember when we had to push our starships barefoot, in the snow, to and from ESD, and it was uphill both ways.
  • alonaralonar Member Posts: 280 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    roadghost wrote: »
    I remember when we had to push our starships barefoot, in the snow, to and from ESD, and it was uphill both ways.

I still have two boffs (on different chars) that have the ORGINAL gorn skins.
  • phalanx01phalanx01 Member Posts: 360 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I still have my first Klingon character. Got it to max before there was content.

Early access Orion Sci captain here too, was my first lvl 40, at the time level cap. Good old days, being trapped in 3 sector spaces :P
  • cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    roadghost wrote: »

An, dangnubit, we were grateful to have it.You kids don't know how lucky you are to have those fancy ,schmancy, warpcores...or those fancy impulse engines.WE didn't have shields either! You polarized your hull, and prayed your armored hull was enough.:)
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    neoakiraii wrote: »

Yeah really.... I remember those days as days I had less stuff to play with....
    Same here, especially September 2010 - February 2011, the golden times of FE Series (where they made 3 of them)

I found the "one thing every week" - statement after F2P pretty hilarious, because it was mostly stuff like minor C-Store / Lockbox Items (they didn't even manage to keep this "promise"), and I'm not sure how its ANY different from now ... we just got Junior Off. Weekend, after First Contact Day, after the new Mirror Event etc ...

Content creation was pretty down between S4 - S6, so I have to take this Thread as misguided nostalgia ...

PS : I challenge the OP to name three "new things" he really enjoyed (Q1 2012), afaik Season 5 was the worst season ever ...

PPS : Some pearls from Early 2012 :
    - Anniversary Event (sounds oddly familiar)
    - Yellowstone Shuttle (good thing, there was lots & lots of stuff to do with it)
    - Dilithium Mining (350,000 Dil EV Suits, because they had a different color)
    - Cardassian Lockbox (wow new Lockbox, since we never got one after that)
    - First Contact Day (sounds oddly familiar)
    - "Hearts and Minds" (fun little mission, but that's about it)
    - Ferasans (Caitians with Fangs, how could we live without it)

boy those were the Golden Times :P , they should clearly make new shuttles, different colored EV Suits and maybe Bird people, it would change EVERYTHING ....
    Here's a good one from season 4: LONGEST FOUNDRY OUTAGE EVAR!!!!

5 and 6 also had outages but season 4 had the foundry down for over a month.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • wakerobertswakeroberts Member Posts: 116 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    What do I remember from the good old days? Kill 5, scan 5, kill 5, scan 5... And a grind from Commander to Captain that almost made my eyes bleed. I'll take these days over those days any day.