Install Arc

Season 9, Excited or Not Excited

Comments

• dukhattdukhatt Member Posts: 236 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Season 9...

... is going to kill queued PvP

... is going to kill the need to do reps

... is going to make the battlezone the only place to farm dilithium efficiently

... is going to kill a good many builds and force more cookie cutter

... is going to stagnate large fleets that already have every holding done

... has done exactly zero to address some of the most glaring space balance issues that have persisted for months

... gives me no incentive to log in more than I already have been, which is less and less every day

... may very well be the season I say goodbye to STO

This, this, this and again THIS!

But seriously so many people in my fleet who are lifetime subbers & played since day 1
    Told me that they quit playing if they really revert reputation back to 0 & nerfing the elitists
  • gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    dukhatt wrote: »
    This, this, this and again THIS!

But seriously so many people in my fleet who are lifetime subbers & played since day 1
    Told me that they quit playing if they really revert reputation back to 0 & nerfing the elitists

They are NOT reverting reputation back to zero. They only did it for TRIBBLE to TEST the revamped Reputations. It will NOT affect your Holodeck reputation.
  • catliketypingcatliketyping Member Posts: 611
    edited April 2014
    I just want Flanking for my B'rel.

They can give combat bikinis to Starfleet if they want, I don't care. Especially if they fix the darn Tailor for KDF.
    Nessia (KDF Sci)
    IKS Korrasami (Fleet B'rel Bird of Prey Retrofit T5-U)
  • vivenneanthonyvivenneanthony Member Posts: 1,278 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Season 9...

... is going to make the battlezone the only place to farm dilithium efficiently

... has done exactly zero to address some of the most glaring space balance issues that have persisted for months

... gives me no incentive to log in more than I already have been, which is less and less every day

I agree with most aspects. I might stick my head into Season 9 for my fleet mates but basically time on STO will be cut dramatically.

So, my personal project is to single person first person walk through of Starfleet Academy then add character creation. Name it Star Trek Existence.

I'll post pictures on my deviantart page folder. If I get interest I'll create a website, open the software for downloading and testing, and possibly joint development (not Cryptic TRIBBLE).
  • kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Not excited, although I'm curious about the rep revamp b/c I have a ton of XP and nothing to do with it.

I have no interest in the Undine battlezone. I didn't have interest in the Voth one either. I have never visited that zone.

These post LoR seasons feel like 45 minutes of story, and a new thing to rinse and repeat over and over and over and over and over again... which might get you a cutscene of story.

And it is a story that really feels all over the place and disjointed. I don't think that is the fault of a writer. I couldn't keep a story together if somebody told me one morning, "Hey we're going to include dinos with lasers and next season will be an Undine lock box... fit the story around it."

The only season 8 content that I played was the Tuvok mission. I haven't even looked at how to do the quick equip thing.

But, I spent some time today playing the Cardassian front missions, from back when STO had something more or less resembling a coherent story or set of interesting stories. Well, 3 missions into the front, I feel pretty nostalgic.

My biggest hope for the future is honestly a Foundry UI revamp, so I can find the stories that are out there, instead of a game and a Foundry UI filled with uberlootz grindy farmy token collecting nonsense, etc.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mikearoomikearoo Member Posts: 342 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Season 9...

Although I don't pvp a lot (usually just a few coalition matches every now and then, though I don't really build for it), I can see a lot of what you are saying. This may very well be the season I turn away from sto myself.
  • captainpirkocaptainpirko Member Posts: 270 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    gotta say, season 8 disappointed me, but was fun to play for a short time. season 8.5 was a "oh!" and not much more. season 9, looks depressing. normally we'd have devblogs twice a week about all sorts of cool things to look forward too (even if it was talking about the same thing). this year we've had singular topics on PVE queue missions, and story mission. but nothing that really screams "the game's getting an upgrade!" like i've come to expect. instead its just "game has yet another thing that probably wont get played much". the game needs less 'new content' and more stuff to do WITH the content.

i cant say i've played much recently (the most recent events have been bleh) although i do load up the launcher from time to time, i reconsider, realizing that there's not much for me to do except grind a few characters to get their really cool, really creative PVP build, so i can go PVP with other people in a system neglected for ages with people just as tired of this TRIBBLE as i am.

i'll check out season 9, probably play a few days of season 9.... then go back into watching the game till the fall. STO's last chance is to not TRIBBLE up this big second expansion they have planned. if they can do that right, i'll probably start playing full time again. if not, i probably will leave. which, after the 100-200$ i've put into the game, makes me sad. =<
    [SIGPIC]Timelords Fleet [/SIGPIC]
  • gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Y'know, I'm gonna buck the trend of the naysayers and the people threatening to leave because they lost 5 damage off their DPS:

I'm excited as all out. Why? A few reasons:

1) The new Reputation. Y'see, I'm not like most of you guys. I don't run the reputation to see how high I can run my DPS. I run the reputation because I want the shiny stuff inside. I want my ship decked out in alien gear and shoot large plasma bolts and all of that good stuff. I could care less about how hard I'm hitting people unless I'm hurting the overall team.

2) The revamped Borg/Undine missions. I played a few of them and they were quite challenging. Plus they've revamped the rewards. They're pretty cool.

3) The Undine Dyson Sphere Zone. It's another place where I can fly my ship around and shoot stuff at. And it uses some of the good stuff that the Contested Zone has, so it's just as good!

4) The Featured Episode. I'm sure you guys got the e-mail about Season 9's launch and saw the banner. I want to see how it happens. I want to see how we get

5) The new ESD. That place is gorgeous.

Y'see, here's the thing: I didn't come here for DPS e-peen measuring. I didn't come here because I wanted to gripe because of silly lore nor did I come here to declare I was leaving because something minuscule was altered. I came here to fly starships and overcome what I like and don't like. When I'm done with the game, I won't sit here and trumpet it across the forums like I want Cryptic to pay attention to me - I'll just go on my way. I did it with WoW, I did it with DCUO and I've done it with SD Gundam Capsule Fighter and I'll do it here.
  • admrenlarreckadmrenlarreck Member Posts: 2,041 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I've played in worse. Imagine this: your anniversary and Christmas gifts? Lock boxes! Welcome to SD Gundam Capsule Fighter

Well actually the Christmas lock boxes were already used in STO. They were the very first incarnation of them but didn't require the key. First prize in the Christmas Lock boxes? Jem'hadar Attack ship.

As to the OP No I'm not impressed and therefore not excited.

Undine battle zone : Will never play it more than twice, probably once just to see what its about.

Undine STFs : I might do these every now and again at least the one set on Bajor anyway.

New ESD : Looks good but will cause lag. As it is I don't go to ESD anymore at all, so its no loss to me.

Rep Projects Revamp: Its killed the rep system, For me Ill finish up the Romulan, dyson and nukara on one character, and only the Omega and Romulan on my other 8 toons. Maybe. the undine and all future reps? Skip em.

Kit Changes: This is about the only thing that's going to make this tolerable. I'm still not giving up my fleet Kits though.

PvP queue revamp: I don't care as I don't PVP.

One last thing. Just like S8 I'm expecting to be locked out of the game till a major bug gets fixed. Its already happening on tribble and with S8 it took them a month to get everyone back in the game. Yes it was only 300 separate players that were confirmed and we have no idea how many were not known to us. So it was a small part of the player base. but when a graphics issue on the dev end (this was stated to us directly that it was on their end) affects free gold and lifers and keeps them out of the game, there is a problem with that game.
    fayhers_starfleet.jpg

Fleet leader Nova Elite

Fleet Leader House of Nova elite
    @ren_larreck
  • jslynjslyn Member Posts: 1,784 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Has the word come down as to whether the new Levels are in this Season? 'Cause I keep fightin', and I keep killin' and I keep getting Xp, but I have no Levels to gain. So... Yeah.
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I'm 100% sure if we got a level cap increase it would be with the expansion, and not a seasonal update.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • stelakkhstelakkh Member Posts: 185 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Neither excited or not.

What I am, however, is absolutely disgusted at the addition of yet another grind in the form of Species 8472 reputation.

There's already too much grind for marks in STO, and now here comes another - even after PWE promised us they wouldn't ruin STO by making it nothing but a huge grind with no actual content like the rest of their horrible games.

End game content? A mission that's actually interesting and fun? Forget it.

Grind on top of grind on top of grind? That we get never-ending.

They could have turned STO around and worked to fulfill at least a tiny portion of the potential it holds - but nope. They've actually made it worse than Cryptic's waste of an opportunity.

So yeah, disgusted.
    Actual Join Date: August, 2008
    edited April 2014
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    I'm 100% sure if we got a level cap increase it would be with the expansion, and not a seasonal update.

Yeah, I was afraid of that.

I preordered the game wanting to play a Romulan. I was traveling when they finally came in. I got back recently, play a casual hour a day for two weeks and I hit end game. I kinda wish that it took more XP to Level-Up because I got to the end way too quickly. Heck, I'd gain two or three Levels just by turning in the previous day's DOff assignments. Maybe whenever they do the next set of Levels, it will take a lot longer. *shrug*
  • cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    neoakiraii wrote: »

Season 9 ,not so much. Next expansion....totally looking forward to it.LOR was a nice chunk of content.
    edited April 2014
    cptjhunter wrote: »
    Season 9 ,not so much. Next expansion....totally looking forward to it.LOR was a nice chunk of content.

That it was.
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Well Cryptic did say season 9 was not going to be big, so you can say they kepi their promise :D

*runs away*
    GwaoHAD.png
  • ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited April 2014
    I have been playing less and less over the past month. A combination of no hourly events makes it tough to coordinate with players within our fleet. We're too few, or too focused on a grind to be able to play together.

That's impacted our time within STO.

You can argue that 'we could schedule something' and for the most part that's true. As a fleet we practiced and beat NWS before the FAW change made it simple so almost anyone could do it.

We don't have a fleet holding to interest us. We're maxed out.

The recent Mirror Grind was a cool mission, that NO ONE had to finish to get the reward. Tracking my experience, 1 in 5 pugs had a leecher.

What was once 6-12 people on in the evening has become at best 3-4. I could rail about why as a MMO it's important to keep things lively and interesting so groups can flourish. But I get theres no point. Cryptic has to generate a profit, and the power that be think this is the way to go.

We're not the only fleet experiencing this.

I'm burned out and bored silly. Bought everything I wanted, with zen to spare.

The opposite is true of the klingon fleet I've joined. Plenty of people on. We're not even T2, so theres plenty to build. But I didn't join STO to be Klingon or Romulan. I joined to be on the Fed Side.

So the new season -

meh.

Looks great. But will it entertain me enough to drop $$$$? Not sure at his point.

New ESD - nice.
    New Kit system - nice.
    New Rep system - lack of forethought on the developers part has resulted in a massive reworking. This was needed.
    New Undine STFS - fun

I don't care about PvP. My experiences have sucked (i sucked at it). Likely will never try it again.

Mark 13 weapons - hell yeah. - wait, this isn't included.
    Level 60 - Hell yeah - wait, this isn't included.
    New Crafting system - about freaking time - wait, this isn't included.
  • wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Member Posts: 1,728 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Do we even know what the expansion is going to be? Or is it just the Delta quadrant? Either way, I'm not really impressed by anything I've seen for season 9... At all. It really does seem to kill the game for me, personally, that all we really seem to be getting anymore will be a new rep grind, a fleet grind, and a zone to grind in. The zones themselves aren't bad, but they're really just wasting a lot of potential for them, which would be better served by adding missions that would move the story along rather than giving you pointless or redundant tasks.

Really, the only thing i'm looking forward to is the Melee gear that should be dropping with the Undine as well as the Kit revamp. Overall, the last season and the last expansion were very lackluster for me because they really didn't seem to deliver on a lot of the hype. The Romulans aren't even a real faction, what story they have really doesn't reflect well on them as a species, while the two zones are visually impressive for Cryptic, they're just boring and pointless unless you're trying to get the marks of that zone, the character creator 2.0 was just a UI change and a huge let down. and overall, they just seemed like they could have put more effort into things like quality and story.

Despite the Undies visual update for the next season, the Borg infected complexion is still just on the head only, which looks terrible, the kits look interesting, the new zone looks interesting but disappointing that it's still Dyson sphere. All the player nerfs coming are incredibly annoying.

With the current direction of the game, i'm just not impressed.
  • jagdhippiesjagdhippies Member Posts: 676 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Not exited, about any of it. Well maybe the kit revamp, but only maybe.
    My carrier is more powerful than your gal-dread
  • mikearoomikearoo Member Posts: 342 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Yeah am liking the kit revamp idea, looking forward to tweaking that, however I really like my Squad leader, not sure my tac's will part with them just yet, will have to wait and see. The new ESD is gorgeous, but i'm not spending a lot of time there :p
  • fmgtorres1979fmgtorres1979 Member Posts: 1,327 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Not very excited, but it's not the new Season's fault. It's just that I don't like the undine all that much.
    But it's new stuff to do, so that's good.
  • alexvio1alexvio1 Member Posts: 389 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I don't like reps nerf and removal of MK10-11 gear.
  • disposeableh3r0disposeableh3r0 Member Posts: 1,927 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    This season has some good news for my alts, they will finally get some rep system goodies.

Also kits, its about damn time.
    As a time traveller, Am I supposed to pack underwear or underwhen?

Not everything you see on the internet is true - Abraham Lincoln

Occidere populo et effercio confractus
  • wazzagiowwazzagiow Member Posts: 769 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I'm looking forward to it. Season 8 was total rubbish. + stupid grind events that has made sto incredibly boring to play. Season 9 has to be better!?!?
  • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    wazzagiow wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to it. Season 8 was total rubbish. + stupid grind events that has made sto incredibly boring to play. Season 9 has to be better!?!?

Um, that will be season 9 as well. ;)
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I was exited, until they flushed the biggest if not only reason to care down the toilet with the "reputation traits" nerf.

Now? Meh.
  • jellico1jellico1 Member Posts: 2,719
    edited April 2014
    lets see...taking away 1/2 of the dilithium from the stfs

revamping esd................So

Adding another rep ....................puke

revamping the rep system when all they had to do was lock it and make furure reps choices

i dont see nothing exciting

I dont see the power creep addressed

I dont see anything for veteran players or any end game content

more easy noob grind with polish

its seems the only thing cryptic is really doing is removing dilithium from the STFs to promote there other WEAK content which hardly anyone plays
    Jellico....Engineer ground.....Da'val Romulan space Sci
    Saphire.. Science ground......Ko'el Romulan space Tac
    Leva........Tactical ground.....Koj Romulan space Eng

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
  • bughunter357bughunter357 Member Posts: 587 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Every one is assuming that we are getting a Undine lock box, but I say no it will be totally some thing entirely different, yeah I could be wrong and it will be Undine (I was wrong about the Romulans coming to game) but until it is announced it's all speculation.

As for Season 9 not that excited but am looking forward to something new to do, the new space ques I will try out and decide on them later, the new kits revamp looks interesting and will try a few builds on my 28 toons, but will keep my old kits for old times sake. the ground que was nothing really interesting to me but again I will try it eventually.

the Rep revamp I am okay with as it will help me finish off what ones I have not finished as of yet, the trait reduction had me concerned but should not hold me back from playing the new rep or making a build that suits my toons.

All in all I won't be leaving the game like some have said they are going to do because I have to much time and money in this game just to drop it.
    I await the mid season release which I believe will come with more updates to season 9 (hopefully crafting revamp) and then patiently await for the next expansion.
    Yeah, I was afraid of that.

I preordered the game wanting to play a Romulan. I was traveling when they finally came in. I got back recently, play a casual hour a day for two weeks and I hit end game. I kinda wish that it took more XP to Level-Up because I got to the end way too quickly. Heck, I'd gain two or three Levels just by turning in the previous day's DOff assignments. Maybe whenever they do the next set of Levels, it will take a lot longer. *shrug*

Better find your postman and shoot him out right because the game was out 3 years before LoR and we did not have romulans until then.
    The recent Mirror Grind was a cool mission, that NO ONE had to finish to get the reward. Tracking my experience, 1 in 5 pugs had a leecher.

well that was on your end on my end (and I have 28 toons that did the MI event) only had a couple that leech and one was net issues so can't really call them a leech now can you.
    Do we even know what the expansion is going to be? Or is it just the Delta quadrant? Either way, I'm not really impressed by anything I've seen for season 9... At all. It really does seem to kill the game for me, personally, that all we really seem to be getting anymore will be a new rep grind, a fleet grind, and a zone to grind in. The zones themselves aren't bad, but they're really just wasting a lot of potential for them, which would be better served by adding missions that would move the story along rather than giving you pointless or redundant tasks.

why so people can burn through that in a days time instead of a couple weeks to a months time, thanks but no thanks I will take the rep any day.
    lets see...taking away 1/2 of the dilithium from the stfs
    its seems the only thing cryptic is really doing is removing dilithium from the STFs to promote there other WEAK content which hardly anyone plays

I read every patch notes that has hit tribble no where did I read that dilithium was being cut in half or even removed.