What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Literary Challenge #61 Discussion Thread

Comments

• worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    masopw wrote: »
    Hey all,

Thanks for the comments in the last LC. (If anybody would like to critique the 'series', I'd appreciate it in order to better balance humourous entries, dramatic ones, cliff hangers, etc.)
    I found it to be very fun and interesting; earlier LC entries felt like they were sort of wandering, but the climax was an epic badass Trek movie finish.
    I haven't gotten around to reading all the entires for LC 60 "Threedux", but will get to them as time wills it. (Wasn't if renamed thusly given worffan101's utter domination?). ;)
    Heh, sorry about that. I've been on a Brandon Sanderson binge since the 4th, and it's stimulated my creativity to insane heights (because Brandon blows your MIND...).
    I've got an idea for this LC...the loss of the Yorktown, which happened 10 years ago. Which comes to the permission part:

If I can have your ship and captain come to the recovery/rescue operations, could you please advise on:
    --Ship name & type, plus captains rank at that time? NCC# a bonus.
    --Forward weapon type and what special powers you'd use, ie, torpedo spread, cannon rapid fire, beam overload.

I promise no dialog with your ship...comms have taken major damage by the time they arrive...so no worries about your characters saying something they wouldn't. No significant damage to your ship nor any casualties to your crews.

And if anyone ever wants to check my character:
    USS Bonaventure, NCC-900288-B, Sci-Oddy. Antiproton beam arrays with Borg cutting beam and tractor. Photons and omega plasma Torps forward, Transphasics and Bio-neural aft. Rouge Valley is the Aquarius, spit out as soon as I warp in. High yield Torps, gravity well, and isometric charge are my standard opening salvos. Captain is Nico Garret. If you want Sotek, well...his ship wen get all bus up.

Hope to get the tale out next weekend...R/L has the audacity to take away some of my disposable time for this welcome escape.
    I hope to see you in-game, and I can't wait for the story!

If you want to give one of my characters a cameo, here's the basics:

Three (Nemesis unit designation Three), level 50, rank Captain, commanding officer USS George Takei, an Avenger-class battlecruiser with a VATA weapon, forward quantum torpedoes (usually sent out at a full spread) and a hodgepodge of stolen Tal Shiar, Hirogen, and Voth dual cannons and turrets. Notable for reinforcements to seemingly random decks as part of redshirt protection protocols.

In 2399, she was 350 years earlier, in another universe, having tea with a lizard woman.

"Do'eth" (AKA D'trel Tomalak, real name D'trel ir'Aehallah tr'Rihannsu), level 50, rank Vice Admiral, commanding officer IRW Vengeance (T'varo retrofit, equipped with a Breen cluster torpedo, three Breen rapid-fire transphasic torpedo launchers, and three transphasic mine launchers). Has also used a captured Imperial Scimitar-class warbird (unimaginatively called the Scimitar) on previous occasions.

In 2399, she was a farmer on Virinat trying to forget her life.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,362 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Ten years ago? Well, Jonathan Sills would have been either a Captain, commanding the Intrepid-class USS Babbage, NCC-92867, or a Commander, in charge of the Hope-class USS Mendeleev, NCC-92770. He's a Science captain, and I dont recall him having anything unusual in his setup - he's big on Fire At Will, and Torpedo tricks.

Grunt would have still been an Engineering Lieutenant, commanding the poor, doomed USS Hypatia, NCC-95784. She had the hull of a Miranda, with the strut from a Shi'Kahr and the pylons and nacelles of a Centaur - and not necessarily the same Centaur...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Ten years ago:
    Amanda Palmer was a captain, in command of the Nova Class USS Valkyrie NCC 72134

Ael t'Kazanak was a lieutenant serving as chief of security under Captain Christian Hill, aboard the Intrepid Class USS Kaitain NCC 74683

Marcus Kane was flying a desk at Starfleet Command, as head of Starfleet Intelligence.
  • jonnaroslynjonnaroslyn Member Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    So I read the challenge description earlier, and was like naaaah can't write anything for this, they'd be useless in this situation... and about an hour later I was finished writing. *throws hands up in the air* Whatever. Hope you people enjoy it.

Vice Admiral Joanne Roslyn
    Commander Corspa Eide
    inspiration for Fleet Admiral Juana Gal
    edited March 2014
    So I read the challenge description earlier, and was like naaaah can't write anything for this, they'd be useless in this situation... and about an hour later I was finished writing. *throws hands up in the air* Whatever. Hope you people enjoy it.

Vice Admiral Joanne Roslyn
    Commander Corspa Eide
    inspiration for Fleet Admiral Juana Gal
  • aten66aten66 Member Posts: 654 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    So, now that I realized that I posted my story to the wrong thread, I've decided to re-post the The Iconian Factor.

There will be some more to post later on, but for now, this is what I give you!

Have a nice evening all, I've loved all the entries so far.
  • moonshadowdarkmoonshadowdark Member Posts: 1,899 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    aten66 wrote: »
    So, now that I realized that I posted my story to the wrong thread, I've decided to re-post the The Iconian Factor.

There will be some more to post later on, but for now, this is what I give you!

Have a nice evening all, I've loved all the entries so far.

I award aten66 the Jean Luc Picard Medal of Creativity for an amazing entry. Inventing the Iconian language, adhering to the known concept art and capturing the essence of the Iconian people. These aspects and more made this entry one of the highlights of the challenge.

Yeah, I know this isn't a competition but damn, it's just so damn good!
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
    edited March 2014
    I award aten66 the Jean Luc Picard Medal of Creativity for an amazing entry. Inventing the Iconian language, adhering to the known concept art and capturing the essence of the Iconian people. These aspects and more made this entry one of the highlights of the challenge.

Yeah, I know this isn't a competition but damn, it's just so damn good!

Well the language (Kanter X...blah, blah, blah) Is actually taken from Memory Alpha, it was what was supposed to be heard from the Enterprise when the Iconian Probe was launched.
    But Thank you!
  • squatsaucesquatsauce Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I got bored and made another entry.

It is...far less serious.
    edited March 2014
    squatsauce wrote: »
    I got bored and made another entry.

It is...far less serious.

Quick before they pull out the Mod Hammer!
    You can only post one per LC, besides Reduxs!
    edited March 2014
    aten66 wrote: »
    Quick before they pull out the Mod Hammer!
    You can only post one per LC, besides Reduxs!

Oh snap! I forgot! I'll post it in it's own thread somewhere else.
    edited March 2014
    Also, I thought it tried far too hard. Reminded me strongly of the SCP Foundation fic, "From Duke 'Til Dawn" - the one that marked the end of decommissioning fics on the site.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    edited March 2014
    jonsills wrote: »
    Also, I thought it tried far too hard. Reminded me strongly of the SCP Foundation fic, "From Duke 'Til Dawn" - the one that marked the end of decommissioning fics on the site.

I don't know what any of this means. :(
    edited March 2014
    squatsauce wrote: »
    I don't know what any of this means. :(
    For reference, the story is here. SCP-083 was a "vampire", and the votes on the entry had dropped low enough to warrant decommissioning it - that is, removing the entry from the wiki. Back in the day, site administrators used to write fics about decommissioning items, until this tale.

Also, SCP-682 is an alien, possibly extradimensional lizard-like being that can adapt to any form of attack, and hates and wants to violently destroy all life. It seems to be unkillable (one attempt in the entry involved cutting it in half with a laser; they got two half-size 682s that could reflect laser beams. When no one was observing, one disappeared and the other grew to its normal size; it's theorized that one ate the other).

(FWIW, SCP-383 may or may not be God. He can't even see 682.)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    For reference, the story is here. SCP-083 was a "vampire", and the votes on the entry had dropped low enough to warrant decommissioning it - that is, removing the entry from the wiki. Back in the day, site administrators used to write fics about decommissioning items, until this tale.

Also, SCP-682 is an alien, possibly extradimensional lizard-like being that can adapt to any form of attack, and hates and wants to violently destroy all life. It seems to be unkillable (one attempt in the entry involved cutting it in half with a laser; they got two half-size 682s that could reflect laser beams. When no one was observing, one disappeared and the other grew to its normal size; it's theorized that one ate the other).

So, 682 is capitalist industry? *Ba dum tish!*
    edited March 2014

Okay, I guess. I'm still not sure what you're talking about. If you don't like my parody of all the horrible, god-mode Mary Sue fiction I've read, that's certainly fine. I just thought you had something more specific you were addressing. Don't worry about it, then.
  • amurorx0amurorx0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I'm back from self imposed exile! (a.k.a writers block)

Does rely on having read my previous entries

Have fun reading me rant and swear at stuff(all censored of course, but would normally come up in conversation for me.)

Some facts:

Lullaby is the first few lines from the song Niji no Kanata.

The legend is the first verse and chorus from the song STORMBRINGER, by JAM project. This is used as the OP for the anime Kotetsushin Jeeg.
    Ikuzo, Trombe!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • azniadeetazniadeet Member Posts: 1,871 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Really happy with this one. The DS9 episode "Far Beyond the Stars" is a required prerequisite though. :)
  • wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Member Posts: 1,728 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Given the scope of this challenge, I think I made a bit of an error, when I decided to try and make a two parter. It seemed like a bit of a cop out on my part, so I do apologize for that.
  • ironphoenix113ironphoenix113 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    And done. Sorry I've missed the past few LC's. Combination of work, class, and general writer's block...And poor on-campus Wi-Fi. Let me know what you all think of my entry!
    Vice Admiral Bryan Mitchel Valot
    Commanding officer: Odyssey class U.S.S. Athena
    Admiral of the 1st Assault Fleet
  • moonshadowdarkmoonshadowdark Member Posts: 1,899 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    And done. Sorry I've missed the past few LC's. Combination of work, class, and general writer's block...And poor on-campus Wi-Fi. Let me know what you all think of my entry!

Both you and Wraith get the Jean Luc Picard Medal of Creativity!
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    @marcus: Thank you for name-checking :D. May I use your piece as a spring-board for my own?
  • takeshi6takeshi6 Member Posts: 752 Arc User
    edited March 2014

Nice. :)

I liked the little reveal at the end, with Bryan learning he's gonna be a father. :cool:
    76561198160276582.png
    edited March 2014

Nice story. Couple of typos, but nothing really jarring. Creative, very nice job getting the menace on the Iconians.

Good story.

Anybody have more thoughts on mine?
    edited March 2014
    azniadeet wrote: »
    Really happy with this one. The DS9 episode "Far Beyond the Stars" is a required prerequisite though. :)

Awesome story. Maybe not as good as your last one, but really, really nice. And the ds9 reference was great.
    edited March 2014
    Loved it :cool:
    edited March 2014
    @marcus: Thank you for name-checking :D. May I use your piece as a spring-board for my own?
    You're very welcome, and by all means feel free :cool:
  • ironphoenix113ironphoenix113 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Both you and Wraith get the Jean Luc Picard Medal of Creativity!

Glad to know that I have the official approval of the one who came up with the topic :D
    takeshi6 wrote: »
    Nice.

I liked the little reveal at the end, with Bryan learning he's gonna be a father.

Thank ye! It's a story that I've been looking to explore for a while now, and this felt like the perfect opportunity to do it. The rose in the midst of the battlefield, so to speak.
    worffan101 wrote: »
    Nice story. Couple of typos, but nothing really jarring. Creative, very nice job getting the menace on the Iconians.

Good story.

Anybody have more thoughts on mine?

Glad you liked it! I actually loosely based the beginning of the battle, along with Bryan's overall plan of attack, from the Battle of Ostagar (the PC's first major encounter with the Darkspawn) in Dragon Age: Origins...Which is an AMAZING game if you haven't had the chance to play it.

I'll get to reading yours as soon as I have the opprotunity, with my thoughts to follow shortly. :)
    Loved it

Glad you liked it :D
    Vice Admiral Bryan Mitchel Valot
    Commanding officer: Odyssey class U.S.S. Athena
    Admiral of the 1st Assault Fleet
  • takeshi6takeshi6 Member Posts: 752 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Thank ye! It's a story that I've been looking to explore for a while now, and this felt like the perfect opportunity to do it. The rose in the midst of the battlefield, so to speak.

You're welcome!! :D

I have Takeshi having kids, too - his first was a girl, born in late 2409, named Larcei, and his second is a boy, born three years later, named Kouji.

Both Larcei and Kouji are going to play key roles in a story idea I have in the works - if you've played the game Fire Emblem Awakening long enough to be properly introduced to the character of Lucina, you will know what this idea in the works entails. :cool:
    76561198160276582.png
    edited March 2014
    Added part 2 of 3 (or four, unsure right now) Hope you all enjoy.

Would love any spelling errors if oyu notice any!