test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Please Quit Doing That.

jadz3jadz3 Member Posts: 107 Arc User
edited March 2014 in Ten Forward
Please oh please people of the STO forums, quit trying to give advanced tactics to newby players. If someone is asking a question that sounds like they have no clue about the subject(not hard to tell really at all)... DO NOT try to give them tactics that involve advanced or hard to obtain items like Lobi store weapons or use abbreviations for abilities when they're unlikely to understand it yet.

This is akin to trying to teach someone Calculus without them first learning basic Algebra.

You might THINK you're helping them, but really you're just confusing them more than they were already.

DO NOT ASSUME. Just because you and your fleet mates have a piece of gear... it doesn't mean everyone has that gear. By all means at the end of your comment RECOMMEND it, but do not tell them its the only answer as many seem to do.

If you're unsure as to the person's experience with the game, ask some questions first.
For instance: Someone having trouble with Borg story missions. Don't just start in on get so and so special weapons... First find out what they're using. As an example say they're using a Full-Auto Rifle... these aren't as effective against Borg as they adapt to them quickly while Pulsewaves hit just as hard but Borg adapt fairly slowly to them because the fire rate is lower.
What you would do here is ask "Might I ask what kind of weapons you're using against Borg currently?"

After finding out then you can base your recommendations on what would actually HELP them as opposed to confuse them. If they're not having trouble with weapon types causing fast adaptation, then you can ask if they're using a Frequency Re-modulator. They don't introduce you to these in the tutorial really, so many new players don't know about them. Start by telling them how to replicate the free one from the replicator and not "Oh just get the MACO set" type stuff. These are not generally people with completed or worked on Omega reputations.

Step by step is best way to go with newer players, and by all means ask 2-3 questions in the same post, just keep them simple to start.
Throwing advanced suggestions at more beginner players is likely to make a possibly frustrated player just more frustrated.

And remember: "Help me!" threads are not here for you to show off that you know a lot, they're here for people to get help with something.
Post edited by jadz3 on

Comments

• Options
    rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Show me on the doll where the bad man touched you.......
  • Options
    corbinwolf#9797 corbinwolf Member Posts: 565 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    rinkster wrote: »
    Show me on the doll where the bad man touched you.......

Now that is funny! :D
    "The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward." - Rocky Balboa (2006)
  • Options
    risingstar2009risingstar2009 Member Posts: 329 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I think this can be extended for those few people who actually try to offer assistance and help the youngling along.

Don't blast us for our comments or take them out of proportion just cause you don't happen to agree with what was said. We're answering questions, offering help/recommendations, and other such advice based on our experiences/frustrations in the game.

Oh, rinkster, ::points to elbow::
    Star Trek Battles: For those who want to Play Star Trek Online as it WAS MEANT TO BE!!!

Our Battles
  • Options
    edited March 2014

Oh, rinkster, ::points to elbow::

Oh my, did it always bend like that?
  • Options
    rylanadionysisrylanadionysis Member Posts: 3,359 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Cryptic might be okay with lowering its standards to the lowest common denominator, but I am not.

I have played this game less than a year. I figured all of this stuff out by reading and experimenting.

I am not a spoonfeeder or someones momma.

They want a build, k heres a build, now go make it. If I figured it out you can figure it out.

I dont have the time to be tutoring every single tom **** and harry that comes up on these forums. I post what I do, and I am done with it.

That being said, the things I post are 100 percent guaranteed to be effective and at the time of the post are 100 percent accurate.
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
    Lifetime Subscriber since 2012 == 17,200 Accolades = RIP PvP and Vice Squad
    Chief of Starfleet Intelligence Service == Praise Cheesus
  • Options
    edited March 2014

I am a spoonfeeder or someones momma.

Not is op, plz nerf

Oh, you already did :)
  • Options
    variant37variant37 Member Posts: 867 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I assume you're referring to this thread?

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1054331

Looks like a lot of decent advice in there. Use melee whenever possible because the Borg won't adapt. Use mines and bombs (ie. the enemy neutralization kit) if you're an engineer. These are tried-and-true tactics to use against the Borg. Not really all that "advanced".
  • Options
    rylanadionysisrylanadionysis Member Posts: 3,359 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    rinkster wrote: »
    Not is op, plz nerf

Oh, you already did :)

fffffffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

I edited it!!!

>=/

Reply speed it OP, plz nerf.
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
    Lifetime Subscriber since 2012 == 17,200 Accolades = RIP PvP and Vice Squad
    Chief of Starfleet Intelligence Service == Praise Cheesus
  • Options
    saihung423saihung423 Member Posts: 548 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I dunno.

I've gotten advice off the forums, on outfitting several ships. Before I joined a fleet, it wasn't hard to substitute "Dual Heavy Disruptor Cannons" for "Advanced Fleet Dual Heavy Disruptor Cannons" and so forth.

As a new player, you can usually figure out what the score is...

I ignored the advice suggesting things that were consoles or weapons from c-store ships. You just take the name of whatever is being suggested and google it. Bampf! Instant knowledge.

However, once I did join a fleet, I already had a good idea of what sort of fleet weapons I was going to need to work towards.

Asking for advice will get you just that, someone's advice. It may not all be relevant to your particular situation, but it is the advice they have to give.

/shrug

If you're not willing to sift some through the responses.....
  • Options
    cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    If you don't like the advice OP, don't take it.

Who died, and made you the Community Mod?:rolleyes:

Rink, I want to quote your post, and put it in my sig.:D
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    fffffffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

I edited it!!!

>=/

Reply speed it OP, plz nerf.

I lol'd.....quite loudly.

Suppose i ought to answer the Op though.

The thing about advice is it can disable rather than enable.

Too much help can leave the helped helpless, rather than....er.......helped

Better to point to the destination and let people figure out the particulars of their journey.

If they need particulars, ask again.

Far better to give people the start they need to figure something out than to give the whole solution and leave them incapable in the face of the next challenge.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    cptjhunter wrote: »
    I

Rink, I want to quote your post, and put it in my sig.:D

Hypnotoad tells me to tell you itd be an honour
  • Options
    mewmaster101mewmaster101 Member Posts: 1,239 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    admittedly, I always just give advice related to budget stuff, useally mission reward gear, or easy to get exchange/Dilithium gear, but really, there is a reason one of the first questions out of most people is "do you have access to rep/fleet gear yet" it is not as if no one ever asks.
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Quitting is OP please Nerf
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited March 2014
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    Quitting is OP please Nerf

Quitting is too nerfed plz reboot.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    jadz3 wrote: »
    DO NOT ASSUME. Just because you and your fleet mates have a piece of gear... it doesn't mean everyone has that gear. By all means at the end of your comment RECOMMEND it, but do not tell them its the only answer as many seem to do.

:rolleyes:

Are you familiar with the concept of the double-edged sword?

"DO NOT ASSUME. Just because you are Sir Newbalot... it doesn't mean everyone is going to assume that and recommend accordingly. By all means at the end of your request for help spell out that you're looking for the first-timer, training-wheels method."

Maybe newbies would get fewer "endgame" answers if they specified that they weren't knee-deep in endgame. Maybe if they accepted responsibility for informing "the audience at large" what level they're working at, the audience at large wouldn't need to make assumptions regarding the newbie's experience level.
  • Options
    bareelbareel Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    For a game who's content is designed for the 'casual' player it does seem odd the mechanics and systems are not. And really its not that the game mechanics are all that complicated, they are just extremely obfuscated by the game instead of being explained in the game.

Those of us who have been here for awhile tend to forget just how much information we have had to learn either via our own experimenting/testing or by having that tribal knowledge passed down to us from others. Or how quickly and often such things change. I still remember doing the testing not all that long ago to figure out how on earth the fleet ship shield mods really worked on some of them, only for Cryptic to change it out of the blue.

Or the EPS increases DPS or does it issue.
  • Options
    oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    or use abbreviations for abilities when they're unlikely to understand it yet.

In the OP's long-winded rant, this is the only point I agree with.

This, along with slang/short hand is liable to confuse a greenhorn. It's best to be specific in those situations.
  • Options
    maelstromvortexmaelstromvortex Member Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Why do you teach the young-lings? I thought they were there for eating?
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Why do you teach the young-lings? I thought they were there for eating?
    My, what large teeth you have. :D

Honestly.... I DON'T think this game is that poorly explained. I used to play Diablo 2 and certain aspects of that game were completely invisible in the UI and you had to either guess what it was or just not know. This was especially true when enemies gave you debuffs. Aside from memorizing the graphical effects associated with them you had no way to know what the debuff was.

"Hunh... what's that red thing floating above my head that looks like a bunch of pins stuck in an invisible pincushion?" *melee attacks enemy* "WTF?!?! Why'd I die????!?!!?"

Yeah, I hated that one. Iron Maiden, it's a curse that causes you to damage yourself each time you use melee, but the damage is a percentage of the damage you deal to the enemy, thus it can hurt REALLY bad sometimes. But there was nothing in the UI to tell you what it was or how long it would last. (Actually having enemies use it turned out to be so horribly unbalanced that the D2 devs removed Iron Maiden from the skills available to enemies.)
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    superhombre777superhombre777 Member Posts: 147 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    jadz3 wrote: »
    This is akin to trying to teach someone Calculus without them first learning basic Algebra.

Just for the record, I have tried teaching calculus to people who don't understand algebra. It's really not that hard. Understanding a rate of change doesn't require algebra...
  • Options
    ghyudtghyudt Member Posts: 1,112 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Cryptic might be okay with lowering its standards to the lowest common denominator, but I am not.

I have played this game less than a year. I figured all of this stuff out by reading and experimenting.

I am not a spoonfeeder or someones momma.

They want a build, k heres a build, now go make it. If I figured it out you can figure it out.

I dont have the time to be tutoring every single tom **** and harry that comes up on these forums. I post what I do, and I am done with it.

That being said, the things I post are 100 percent guaranteed to be effective and at the time of the post are 100 percent accurate.

Ok, so you figured it out on your own. Congratulations. The things you post, that are "guaranteed to be 100% effective" may work well for you, but its not a 1 size fits all game. There are plenty of players out there who are literally just choosing their first captain career, and I can 100% guarantee that a science captain will not do as well with a tactical captain setup. But that's fine. Keep posting your build. Your responses are only useful to about 1 third of the playerbase, and even then only a fraction of them will be able to put what you posted into practice. You don't have time to really help so.done asking for it, but you have plenty of time to explain that you don't have time. Good to know.